Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

I agree that there's misrepresentation of him by elements of the western media, but it's nuts the way people on this thread and elsewhere are depicting Putin as pretty much quite a decent guy.
    He ain't that. The misrepresentation of him doesn't absolve him.

It's crazy doublethink just because of being anti U.S. (I know not everyone who's highlighting the western media's misrepresentation is also saying Putin's a decent soul by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Egginacup wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you be a fan of Putin?

A shower of bitches in the West who are trying to paint him as a "Hitler" or some crap. A shower of sad bastards who can con out weaklings like Saddam Hussein or Ghadaffi are reduced to whinging about Pussy Riot or some other lame nonsense.
    They even tried to "prove" that he and his military shot down a passenger airliner and can't provide a smidgen of proof.
    They slap illegal sanctions on Russia without any explanation and still Vladimir Putin, as cool as an Arctic cucumber, absorbs the blows. Sets up a new bank with the Chinese, creates the new Silk Road and again being cool doesn't lose his rag.....he just cuts off gas to Ukraine.

It's a beautiful thing.

Are you a real thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you a real thing?

Welcome to planet egg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russian Bear entering Irish Airspace;

I love this fella, how much is he getting paid :

" Security expert Dr Tom Clonan said reports that the bomber was carrying a nuclear weapon were worrying. He said that if the plane developed mechanical trouble, ditched in the sea, or had to crash, there could have been serious environmental implications. “The idea of carrying such weapons through a busy airspace beggars belief. If there was a psychotic episode onboard and the weapon was detonated it would send out a massive electromagnetic pulse before the mushroom cloud which would destroy onboard communications systems on potentially dozens of passing commercial aircraft,” Dr Clonan said. “These planes would be disabled in mid-flight and could potentially lead to the loss of countless lives.”

I seen those movies too !

Expert on nuclear weapons .

Didn't think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Why wouldn't you be a fan of Putin?

A shower of bitches in the West who are trying to paint him as a "Hitler" or some crap. A shower of sad bastards who can con out weaklings like Saddam Hussein or Ghadaffi are reduced to whinging about Pussy Riot or some other lame nonsense.
    They even tried to "prove" that he and his military shot down a passenger airliner and can't provide a smidgen of proof.
    They slap illegal sanctions on Russia without any explanation and still Vladimir Putin, as cool as an Arctic cucumber, absorbs the blows. Sets up a new bank with the Chinese, creates the new Silk Road and again being cool doesn't lose his rag.....he just cuts off gas to Ukraine.

It's a beautiful thing.

Well, in between you calling everyone 'bitches'. The political opposition has been assassinated in Moscow. Nemtsov voiced concern in past few days that Putin would attempt to have him assassinated. Hits such as this generally require government approval for them to go forward. And it's most definitely a hit. But your big concern is calling those who criticise Putin out as 'bitches' and 'lame'. You have not got a leg to stand on.....

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

pcardin wrote: »
    The ones that your are constantly giving to him? :pac::D

oohh! That was special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/27/389598306/putin-critic-boris-nemtsov-shot-dead

Another victory for Putin's vision of peace and democracy no doubt.

Baby Jane wrote: »
    I agree that there's misrepresentation of him by elements of the western media, but it's nuts the way people on this thread and elsewhere are depicting Putin as pretty much quite a decent guy.
    He ain't that. The misrepresentation of him doesn't absolve him.

It's crazy doublethink just because of being anti U.S. (I know not everyone who's highlighting the western media's misrepresentation is also saying Putin's a decent soul by the way).

Baby Jane, the man is in charge of a country that has been under constant attack for 200 years whether it be the French, the Germans or the Americans. Don't you think he has a duty to defend his people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Baby Jane, the man is in charge of a country that has been under constant attack for 200 years whether it be the French, the Germans or the Americans. Don't you think he has a duty to defend his people?

What major European country has not been under attack for the past 200 years? (And incidentally, Russia did more than its far share of attacking others in that time period) Doesn't mean people should roll over and start accepting 'strong leader' who must be rallied around to 'keep safe the people'.

What's your line on this anyway? Nationalistic Russian? Left-Winger so Rabidly Anti-West he's turned East? Paid or Unpaid pot-stirrer? Serial contrarian? Or just plain insane?

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Well, in between you calling everyone 'bitches'. The political opposition has been assassinated in Moscow. Nemtsov voiced concern in past few days that Putin would attempt to have him assassinated. Hits such as this generally require government approval for them to go forward. And it's most definitely a hit. But your big concern is calling those who criticise Putin out as 'bitches' and 'lame'. You have not got a leg to stand on.....

So what, B? So what?

Putin is in charge of a country that the US and NATO are trying to invade and control.

The guy, no matter, what rubbish is slung at him regarding "threatening his neighbours" is aware that people like you have been told that he's a tyrant. Why not go to Russia? Why not actually sit between arguments rather than blindly suck the crap that's spat out by Bill O'Reilly or the spinmeisters from the pentagon and Cameron's lickspittles?

What we have here is America trying to paint whoever rules Russia into another bogeyman. The reasons? He subjugates gays.....laughable if it were true yet not a peep when Saudi Arabia stones queers to death...not a peep.
    Putin wants to reisntitute the former Soviet Union....yet he was instrumental when assistant to the mayor of Leningrad in smashing a plot to sabotage the unravelling of the USSR.

If he was such as Bolshevik then wouldn't he have joined forces with the august 1991 coup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Hopefully the falling oil prices and increased economic sanctions will cause the shell of an economy to collapse and expose Putin for the simpleton, deluded crook that he is.

That really worked for Saddam and Iran didn't it? (sarc)

Punishing the wider population for the actions of the dear leader often has the opposite effect of exposing the regime. Indeed, it normally tends to vindicate the leadership's mantra to the population that 'they're out to get us' and 'I'm standing up for you guys'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Karl Stein wrote: »
    That really worked for Saddam and Iran didn't it? (sarc)

Is this the same Iran that's trying to negotiate an end to US sanctions or a different Iran?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Ladies and gentlemen Ukraine is now a western democracy.
    Coming soon.... good wholesome GM food.
    http://www.naturalnews.com/046791_Ukraine_GMOs_Monsanto.html

So what, B? So what?

Putin is in charge of a country that the US and NATO are trying to invade and control.

The guy, no matter, what rubbish is slung at him regarding "threatening his neighbours" is aware that people like you have been told that he's a tyrant. Why not go to Russia? Why not actually sit between arguments rather than blindly suck the crap that's spat out by Bill O'Reilly or the spinmeisters from the pentagon and Cameron's lickspittles?

What we have here is America trying to paint whoever rules Russia into another bogeyman. The reasons? He subjugates gays.....laughable if it were true yet not a peep when Saudi Arabia stones queers to death...not a peep.
    Putin wants to reisntitute the former Soviet Union....yet he was instrumental when assistant to the mayor of Leningrad in smashing a plot to sabotage the unravelling of the USSR.

If he was such as Bolshevik then wouldn't he have joined forces with the august 1991 coup?
    Once again, you're making many assumptions about people. I loath fox and such but equally so for Russian propaganda streams. I have issues with homophobia in absolutely every case. I abhor the fact that states treated the king of Saudi Arabia as a freedom loving person when he most definitely was not. However state homophobia in Russia is very true. Call it propaganda laws against the gay agenda or whatever the hell you want but it boils down to a homophobic government with a narcisist leading.

You make no effort to claim Putin has not been involved with numerous domestic assassinations including that of his opposition. So if that's the case, we can but assume that you support such means of leadership. I condemn the actions of any leader who behaves as Putin does. I'm proud to say I haven't become a fanboy of megalomaniacs. To be perfectly blunt Egg, you'd benefit from reading a book. Perhaps one from one of the journalists who have Putin implicated in their death?

You complain of others being blind but you don't exactly seem knowledgeable in the subject. You come across as irate and defensive and have made no effort to show up how what we are saying is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Is this the same Iran that's trying to negotiate an end to US sanctions or a different Iran?

Yes. The very same Iran that overthrew a US stooge that was put in place because the US/UK overthrew a democratically elected government that wanted to use Iranian resources for the betterment of the people of Iran. The same Iranian government that sanctions failed to get the population to hate and overthrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Economic pressure was a factor in the collapse of the USSR, so maybe that would be a closer example. The Russian economy is mainly based on oil and gas though, and mainland Europe mainly depends on Russian gas. The big stoopids built big pipelines from Russia, dispite the USA saying they were being big stoopids. It will take decades to remove that dependency. Ireland and the UK are connected to Norwegian gas.

So there's a codependency. Maybe this is the early stage of a cold war where it's not so much the threat of mutually assured destruction as mutually assured restriction from sufficient resources (gas for europe and money for russia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

A lot of the Putin love (not the viewing him with an open mind, but actual admiration and referring to him as a "legend" and that) strikes me as likely coming from young lads trying to be edgy, because he's a bad-ass and so on. I know some such young lads. Lovely fellas but completely naive.

Also homophobes and some far-right types (not pro American) are gonna adore him, and people with blind hatred of anything U.S. at all.

As long as rational people aren't fooled though, that's the important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Baby Jane wrote: »
    A lot of the Putin love (not the viewing him with an open mind, but actual admiration and referring to him as a "legend" and that) strikes me as likely coming from young lads trying to be edgy, because he's a bad-ass and so on. I know some such young lads. Lovely fellas but completely naive.

Also homophobes and some far-right types (not pro American) are gonna adore him, and people with blind hatred of anything U.S. at all.

As long as rational people aren't fooled though, that's the important thing.
    But naive young lads are who we'll need to die for us when the cossacks start to flood across Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

As much as I really dislike Putin, I think Europe will need him on their side to crush the phenomenal growth of ISIS at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

As much as I really dislike Putin, I think Europe will need him on their side to crush the phenomenal growth of ISIS at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I love how the Putin lovers rabidly dismiss any allegations against Russia as the spin of the puppet masters in the West....in one thread in Politics, someone actually demanded a link to support a claim, and said 'but with a reliable source, not BBC...Reuters....The Economist...CNN...The Guardian...NPR...etc'.

They basically ruled out every single well-standing western news organization.

And when asked to back up their own out-landish, ridiculous claims? They link to Russian state media 'Russia Today' and various conspiracy theory blogs, most of whom are totally discredited by other news groups - and my favourite - crappy youtube videos which don't really show much of anything.

But no....wake up people (or should I say sheeple)....you're all blind to the reality of what's happening. :rolleyes:

You have to wonder sometimes is it actually some sort of....condition, to put it delicately.

Here's Nemstov's final interview. It highlights the general fear that surrounds being a dissenting voice in Russia. It highlights the largescale propaganda while idiots in this topic pretend to be an expert upon Putin, the guy who is largely accepted to be causing more damage to Russia than good. But seriously, to all those defenders of Russia, you're just behaving as a cog for Russian propaganda while dissenting voices are jailed or murdered in Russia.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11441780/Boris-Nemtsov-Final-interview-given-by-Putin-critic-just-hours-before-his-murder-in-full.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Here's Nemstov's final interview. It highlights the general fear that surrounds being a dissenting voice in Russia. It highlights the largescale propaganda while idiots in this topic pretend to be an expert upon Putin, the guy who is largely accepted to be causing more damage to Russia than good. But seriously, to all those defenders of Russia, you're just behaving as a cog for Russian propaganda while dissenting voices are jailed or murdered in Russia.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11441780/Boris-Nemtsov-Final-interview-given-by-Putin-critic-just-hours-before-his-murder-in-full.html

My oh my Bruce you really must be salivating uncontrollably with this one.Maybe you can use your tinfoil hat to wipe the excess ;)
    Good to see that President Putin was one of the first to express his condolences with Nemstov's mother and family and immediately stated that "everything will be done for the organisers and executioners of this vile and cynical murder to receive the punishment they deserve".If he really is the master villain and possesses the power and control you claim he does then it shouldn't take long.Thankfully Vladimir Putin is one of the rare breed of leaders who actually means what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

FalconGirl wrote: »

He hasn't done much to crush it so far, in fact he and his buddy Assad were instrumental in its rise, refusing to attack them in Syria until they had taken over a third of the country and then it was far too late. So long as ISIS are doing their massacring outside of Russia, Putin could care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

He hasn't done much to crush it so far, in fact he and his buddy Assad were instrumental in its rise, refusing to attack them in Syria until they had taken over a third of the country and then it was far too late. So long as ISIS are doing their massacring outside of Russia, Putin could care less.

Exactly. IS are a benefit to putin as long as they're a distraction to the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

'but with a reliable source, not BBC...Reuters....The Economist...CNN...The Guardian...NPR...etc'.

LOL The Guardian
    LOL reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Adamantium wrote: »
    LOL The Guardian
    LOL reliable

Wasn't it the Guardian who published the Snowden documents?

Kind of shot yourself in the foot there didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

fran17 wrote: »
    Good to see that President Putin was one of the first to express his condolences with Nemstov's mother and family and immediately stated that "everything will be done for the organisers and executioners of this vile and cynical murder to receive the punishment they deserve".If he really is the master villain and possesses the power and control you claim he does then it shouldn't take long.

:confused:

I'm confused.

You dont think that maybe a "master villian" could lie?

For you putins statement that he'll get to the bottom of it is enough to convince you of his innocence in the assassination??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

fran17 wrote: »
    My oh my Bruce you really must be salivating uncontrollably with this one.Maybe you can use your tinfoil hat to wipe the excess ;)
    Good to see that President Putin was one of the first to express his condolences with Nemstov's mother and family and immediately stated that "everything will be done for the organisers and executioners of this vile and cynical murder to receive the punishment they deserve".If he really is the master villain and possesses the power and control you claim he does then it shouldn't take long.Thankfully Vladimir Putin is one of the rare breed of leaders who actually means what he says.

That is absolutely hilarious.

He denied any involvement in the assassination of Alexander Litvinenko. He has lied about Russian involvement in the shooting down of flight MH17, he has been lying incessantly about Russian involvement in East Ukraine, particularly concerning Russian troops and personnel not being involved.

He's about 20% leader and 80% liar.

It's not hard to be first out of the gate in issuing condolences when you were able to prepare them in advance of the event due to uncanny precognition about what was about to happen. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

InTheTrees wrote: »

I'm confused.

You dont think that maybe a "master villian" could lie?

For you putins statement that he'll get to the bottom of it is enough to convince you of his innocence in the assassination??

Ah but seriously,if the man was old enough then certain people here would attempt to link him to the Kennedy assassination.
    This guy Nemtsov was no longer a big fish in any sense of the word and for Putin to have any involvement in it would seem futile at best.The theories circulating range from Ukrainians,treats made for this comment regarding the Charlie hebdo shootings,business rivals to colonel mustard in the library with a Makarov pistol ;)

I believe he had absolutely zero involvement in this crime and time will tell.But of course if and when the culprits are apprehended the western media will crank up the bullsh1t machine yet again with 24hr headlines about Cover ups etc.etc.etc.That's just the way it is.

There is something concrete to convince you of his guilt?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement