Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The invasion and annexation of Crimea was defensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The invasion and annexation of Crimea was defensive too.

The annexation was. You can't invade a place if you are already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Any buildup in Crimea would be defensive. Launching an offensive through the isthmus of Perekop is next to impossible.

Personally id go the M17 /M18 motorways straight into Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Gatling wrote: »
    Personally id go the M17 /M18 motorways straight into Ukraine

There would be massive casualties, the isthmus is only 7km or so across at its widest point. A great choke point for defence, but it would be absolute madness to launch an offensive through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So over then last 24/48 hours there's been a sudden build up of russian military forces pouring into Crimea from troops to a lot of heavy weapons and tanks .

Get the feeling something is going to kick off

Well played!

Now Vlad the serial liar is displaying to world another of his endearing characteristics.
    Russia accuses Ukraine of attempted Crimea 'incursions'

Sure they did /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Putin is hands down the most respected leader we have in the world today. What I like most is his mental calmness, intelligence and knowledge. No matter how much the west have tried to provoke him or demonise Russia because of a failing western financial system he never rises to it and choses his own calculated moves.

In the US we have the 5th murder in the last 6 weeks due to Hillarys email leak. The latest been 27yr old Seth Rich. The establishment will do anything to keep their puppets in power. Let's hope Russia and China can out smart the US and Britain preventing another world war to enrich the wealthy families at the top of the financial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Putin is hands down the most respected leader we have in the world today.

Ah this thread still delivers in the comedy stakes after all this time.

I have a feeling the Novofuhrer is trying to distract the proles by bigging up the Ukrainian enemy again...There must be bad news that needs to be buried ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

If I had to pick one president , chancellor , prime minister or whatever they call themselves out of the current crop running the countries of the world today,
    Vlad would be the one I would pick.

In the US we have the 5th murder in the last 6 weeks due to Hillarys email leak. The latest been 27yr old Seth Rich. The establishment will do anything to keep their puppets in power. Let's hope Russia and China can out smart the US and Britain preventing another world war to enrich the wealthy families at the top of the financial system.

Black choppers and aliens anal probes too ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

XsApollo wrote: »
    If I had to pick one president , chancellor , prime minister or whatever they call themselves out of the current crop running the countries of the world today,
    Vlad would be the one I would pick.

And your reasoning is...?

• Advertisement

I reckon the drug cheats aren't delivering enough medals in Rio to distract the populace, he has to compensate ;)

And your reasoning is...?

I'm in work on the phone so can't link stuff.
    I will reply properly later.
    But in general the way he has handled his country in the face of massive adversity,
    how he handles himself in public debates and interviews.
    His views on the United States and others foreign policies.
    He is always painted as some psychopath that is a danger to the world and world peace and so on, when he hasn't really done anything of the sort to justify that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm in work on the phone so can't link stuff.
    I will reply properly later.
    But in general the way he has handled his country in the face of massive adversity,
    how he handles himself in public debates and interviews.
    His views on the United States and others foreign policies.
    He is always painted as some psychopath that is a danger to the world and world peace and so on, when he hasn't really done anything of the sort to justify that.

The reason Russia is experiencing adversity is due to Putin's actions, so saying he has handled the country well is an utter laugh.

The Saudi's scuttled the price of oil as much to punish Putin for his actions to prop up Assad as much as it was to reign in the frackers. Annexing Crimea, moving the border in Georgia so as to grab an oil pipeline, invading and having a go at annexing Ukraine - do you think he expected to be able to do all this without Russia facing sanctions and economic collapse as a result? Your alternatives are, yes, he's stupid or, no, he doesn't care what misery his people have to suffer, it's good for them.

His constant sabre rattling with subs in the Baltic, bombers flying towards the UK without transponders, mock attacks on US warships, buzzing them so close a sailor could have thrown a spanner through the cockpit canopy, annexation of territories, shooting down civillian planes killing hundred, FSB agents crossing borders and kidnapping people, sending Russian troops into Ukraine and lying about it, murdering journalists by the hundreds, having opposition politicians killed so close he could view it from his office window, poisoning people with polonium and dioxin, having lawyers tortured to death for doing their job - and you say he hasn't done anything to justify being labled a dangerous psycopath?

Makes me wonder what one would have to do to be classified a psycopath in your eyes, don't think I want to know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Can you imagine Enda Kenny taking him on in a Debate?

Terrlock wrote: »
    Can you imagine Enda Kenny taking him on in a Debate?

I can't imagine Kenny having the ability to debate with any countries leader tbh ;)

cnocbui wrote: »
    The reason Russia is experiencing adversity is due to Putin's actions, so saying he has handled the country well is an utter laugh.

The Saudi's scuttled the price of oil as much to punish Putin for his actions to prop up Assad as much as it was to reign in the frackers. Annexing Crimea, moving the border in Georgia so as to grab an oil pipeline, invading and having a go at annexing Ukraine - do you think he expected to be able to do all this without Russia facing sanctions and economic collapse as a result? Your alternatives are, yes, he's stupid or, no, he doesn't care what misery his people have to suffer, it's good for them.

His constant sabre rattling with subs in the Baltic, bombers flying towards the UK without transponders, mock attacks on US warships, buzzing them so close a sailor could have thrown a spanner through the cockpit canopy, annexation of territories, shooting down civillian planes killing hundred, FSB agents crossing borders and kidnapping people, sending Russian troops into Ukraine and lying about it, murdering journalists by the hundreds, having opposition politicians killed so close he could view it from his office window, poisoning people with polonium and dioxin, having lawyers tortured to death for doing their job - and you say he hasn't done anything to justify being labled a dangerous psycopath?

Makes me wonder what one would have to do to be classified a psycopath in your eyes, don't think I want to know really.

I meant how he has handled the country since he came to power back in 99.
    The place was mess when he took over.

Flying aircraft in international with transponders off, the US UK and NATO regularly fly military surveillance aircraft close to Russian borders and in the Baltic Sea with their transponders off also, it's just not in the news over here.
    Putin has agreed to have transponders on if NATO agrees to the same.

Mock attack on us warships ?
    In the Baltic Sea?
    I presume the warships were a few hundred miles off Russia's border.
    I'm sure the Us and NATO would intercept and do the same if it was the other way around.
    The jets were unarmed and weren't displaying hostile intent was a quote from a US official.

His backing of Assad?

Who is propping up the rebels and creating the ****storm over there in the first place? Displacing millions.
    That's fine tho is it?
    But his backing of rebels in eastern Ukraine is wrong.

Sabre rattling with subs?
    You don't think the US has subs where they shouldn't be? But that's fine with you is it?

I'm sure if Russia fly 10's of 1000's of troops to Cuba and all their latest military hardware there and start doing yearly military exercises the US would be happy, or would they accuse them of Saber rattling also?
    Just as they do outside North Korea every year.

Crossing borders to kidnap people?
    Does Bin Laden come to mind?
    Or making up lies and invading Iraq and ripping a country apart to avenge some vendetta and then hanging the dude.
    Arming groups in countries as long as it suits their agenda.
    Afghanistan.

A lot of Putins action are reactions to **** the west creates.

The Us are also planting missile shields in Poland ,Romania which they say are for defence and not nuclear but could be changed pretty simple to do both. Which will in a decade or so have the capability to reach anywhere in Russia and pretty much nullify any nuclear power Russia has and when Russia tries to discuss this they are told to pretty much to **** off it's none of their business.
    Do you think that he can just ignore NATO and these missile shields or what?
    Of course Russia has to push back and do something, other wise the country will eventually be encircled with Us armed countries.
    If the shoe was on the other foot you can guarantee war would happen because the is would not let it happen.

It's a case of double standards with Russia.
    The west and our allies have done a lot more Damage, a lot more sabre rattling,
    Pulled out of the anti ballistic missile treaty so they could create and place missile defence stations all over the world and push their ideologies on other countries to suit themselves and it's all good.

Russia is no threat to anybody, Putin has to defend his countries interests the same as every other country does.
    Also Putin is no angel but he has done nothing on the scale of what the US and its allies have done in the last 20 years.

He the best of a bad bunch in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Russia is no threat to anybody, Putin has to defend his countries interests
    Also Putin is no angel but he has done nothing on the scale of what the US and its allies have done in the last 20 years.

How many times has he been "elected" now?

I think trampling on his country's constitution to remain endlessly in power is a major blow to democracy in the world.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    How many times has he been "elected" now?

I think trampling on his country's constitution to remain endlessly in power is a major blow to democracy in the world.

And?
    Do the people in his country mind that?
    He is extremely popular over there.
    Ranks a lot higher in popularity votes than a lot of his western counterparts.
    I would prefer him than the 2 clowns running for president in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

And?

Except we don't really know do we?

People that go up against him tend to die.

So we only have his word for it that he's popular.

Except we don't really know do we?

So we only have his word for it that he's popular.

And the Russian media says he has a 90% + approval rating but he and the Kremlin control the said media

• Advertisement

Its Russia not North Korea.
    Maybe you are confusing Putin with Kim Jong Un. :P

Polls conducted by the Levada Centre show him having high popularity ratings amongst Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Polls conducted by the Levada Centre show him having high popularity ratings amongst Russians.

Of course a russian based company would say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What a coincidence that the Kremlin just happened to be in the background when "leading opposition leader" Nemtsov was gunned down.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31669061
    qui bono

Of course a russian based company would say that.

A russian based company that the kremlin has tried to shut down a few times yes.

And?
    Ranks a lot higher in popularity votes than a lot of his western counterparts.
    I would prefer him than the 2 clowns running for president in the US.

It's not the first time that a European leader has enjoyed a high rating from his populace now is it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

I love the way Russiaphobes excuse US and NATO aggression by pointing to elections in Russia as some sort of excuse for actions by the West that could lead to WW3.

It would be comical if it wasn't so serious.

• Advertisement

LOL the only regime that is moving us closer to WW3 is the extremely aggressive Ultra Nationalist one that is based in the Kremlin.

At least you are still making me laugh Eggy ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement