Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Vladimir Putin appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

My impression of Russia at the moment boils down to "international troll". Sure, there's some nuances, but from a Western European perspective...

Putin did an interview with NBC yesterday and was asked about interference in the US election. He responded, after denying the allegation, by saying if the interviewer took out a map and put their finger on the map anywhere in the world you'd find the US interfering in elections and governance.

The US gets a free ride when it comes to nation building, overthrowing foreign leaders and interfering in foreign elections, a recent example is Obama funding anti Netanyahu groups in the Israeli election.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/12/obama-admin-sent-taxpayer-money-oust-netanyahu/

Before that the CIA were interfering in the French election, which in all likelihood they do to every election around the world.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/16/wikileaks-releases-documents-on-alleged-cia-spying-on-french-presidential-candidates/

There's an NPR report by Scholars showing the US interfering in elections, more than 80 times since 1946 to 2000.

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/22/506625913/database-tracks-history-of-u-s-meddling-in-foreign-elections

The U.S. has done it, too, by one expert's count, more than 80 times worldwide between 1946 and 2000. That expert is Dov Levin of Carnegie Mellon University. I asked him to tell me about one election where U.S. intervention likely made a difference in the outcome.

DOV LEVIN: One example of that was our intervention in Serbia, Yugoslavia in the 2000 election there. Slobodan Milosevic was running for re-election, and we didn't want him to stay in power there due to his tendency, you know, to disrupts the Balkans and his human rights violations.

So we intervened in various ways for the opposition candidate, Vojislav Kostunica. And we gave funding to the opposition, and we gave them training and campaigning aide. And according to my estimate, that assistance was crucial in enabling the opposition to win.

It's a total double standard IMO. Russia and Putin aren't saints but if they guilty of what the west claim them to be, then the US and other nations like the UK are far more so. Look at the mess the world is in right now especially in Europe and the middle east, I don't blame Russia for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Don't completely disagree with you Hank. I'm regularly telling my children that the US are no angels. They are young boys that just love military games and stuff and it's funny how the USA are always portrayed as the heroes.. Even in super hero movies the US are always the goodies...

But I see the USA as the best of a bad bunch of superpowers. Russian actions certainly look like they are primarily looking to destabilise western democracy. There is a far greater threat to global stability then anything I can see from the US..

Look at how Putin deals with political rivals. Look how he promotes intolerance. You think he's a better alternative to most American presidents?

Every 4 years , there is a good chance the US will have a less radical president (like Obama) who will not be looking to destabilise global relations and remain within certain parameters with regards to certain protocols. The same canno be said of China or Russia.. that's a serious problem .

Drumpot wrote: »

Every 4 years , there is a good chance the US will have a less radical president (like Obama) who will not be looking to destabilise global relations and remain within certain parameters with regards to certain protocols. The same canno be said of China or Russia.. that's a serious problem .

I agree with you for the most part. I think US foreign policy is often outside the control of the President, so I don't particularly blame Obama for all the drone strikes and chaos in the middle east, and it has stayed in that part of the world, however it in turn has caused problems throughout Europe with refugee crisis. He was also very soft on Islamic terror.

I think the US has done a lot of good protecting freedoms, but equally have destabilised many regions in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

interesting update on a stpry that got international headlines but no doubt western mainstream will bury this interview.

https://www.rt.com/news/391198-aleppo-boy-rt-interview/
    The Syrian boy, whose traumatized face covered in blood and dust flashed across media screens and prompted global outrage, was filmed and exploited purely “for the sake of propaganda,” the boy’s father who now lives in liberated Aleppo told RT’s Ruptly.

Omran Daqneesh was rescued from the rubble in the aftermath of a bombing in the rebel-held Qaterji district of Aleppo in August 2016. The controversial Syrian Civil Defense group, better known as the White Helmets soon released harrowing footage of Omran sitting in an ambulance chair.

Read more
    This image is shocking the world. © AMC#Aleppo Boy: Ash-covered child brings home horror of Syrian war to the world (GRAPHIC VIDEO, PHOTOS)
    The White Helmets group has a controversial reputation. While they are hailed as hero volunteers by the Western mainstream media, and even have an Academy Award-winning documentary about them, their reputation on the ground in Syria is much more sinister.

Witnesses accuse them of collaborating with terrorist groups, filming staged reports about their rescue work, engaging in looting and other misdeeds. Members of the group have been caught on camera several times performing dubious acts, including assisting an apparent execution of a prisoner.

The photo quickly spread across the internet, shocking and disturbing social media users.

The US State Department during the Obama administration even called the child “the real face” of the Syrian war and the "brutal Damascus regime."

Now, almost a year later, RT's video agency Ruptly caught up with Omran and his family in government-controlled Aleppo.

“My name is Omran Daqneesh, I am four years old,” the smiling boy said. His father Mohammad Kheir Daqneesh told Ruptly that the family has been “in so much turmoil because of the insurgents, and because of the issues they made propaganda of.”

“Thank God, now the situation is improving, the army is advancing and liberated the areas, and we came back to our homes, the situation is now getting better,” he said.

Mohammad recalled that day when the family was hit by an airstrike: “We were sitting in our house like this. Omran and I were spending time having fun on our cell phones. Then the strike occurred.”

Mohammad lost track of his son as he searched for other family members, and when he finally found Omran, he saw “insurgents” already filming his son.

Mohammad said that while he was busy saving his family, “the insurgents seized the opportunity and filmed my family when they were getting out the house.”

“They took Omran in order to provide him with first aid, but before they attended to him they sat him down to photograph him. Why this photograph? Because this photograph is to exploit him, as if he was targeted, his injury was grave,” Mohammed said, slamming the White Helmets group for exploiting his son for propaganda purposes.

Read more
    ‘When camera gone they leave people under rubble’ – Aleppo residents on Western-backed White Helmets
    "With regard to the White Helmets, they primarily work with the press, it's a professional tool that they are using,” he said. “The photographs that address emotions, they are worth a price. Some of them work together on these things; between the media and the White Helmets.”

Omran received light injuries in the strike, while his brother Ali died in that bombing, succumbing to his wounds in the hospital later in August. Asked why he did not leave eastern Aleppo Omran's father said: "I could have taken the risk but I cannot put my family at risk… That is why we waited until there was a chance to leave."

Mohammed Daqneesh says that all he wanted last year and today, is for him and his family to be left alone.

“I didn't ask for anything with regards to Omran. No media, no fame, nothing. They photographed him without my will. I brought him back here, so that no one would exploit him. I shaved his head, I even changed his name, I prevented him to go to the street,” he said, explaining that in addition to the media attention, he has been getting threats.

“I am not conspiring against the country; I am not receiving dollars to harm my country. I am a human being a citizen who is worth the sane as any other citizen. This child is worth the same as any child.”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This was missed yesterday

"An EU Court ruled that Putin's party rigged the 2011 Russian election "

"The seven-judge panel (that included a judge from Russia) unanimously ruled that there has been a violation of Article 3 of Protocol No. 1 to the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees the right to free elections," World Affairs said.

In the case of Davydov and Others vs. Russia, the court concluded that the "fairness of the elections ... was seriously compromised by the procedure in which the votes had been recounted. In particular, the extent of recounting, unclear reasons for ordering it, lack of transparency and breaches of procedural guarantees in carrying it out, as well as the results whereby the ruling party gained votes by large margins, strongly support the suspicion of unfairness."

In the 2011 elections, 450 seats were up for grabs in the Federal Assembly of Russia's lower house, called the State Duma.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled last week that the 2011 Russian parliamentary elections were "unfair" and "compromised," World Affairs Journal reported.

"The seven-judge panel (that included a judge from Russia) unanimously ruled that there has been a violation of Article 3 of Protocol No. 1 to the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees the right to free elections," World Affairs said.

In the case of Davydov and Others vs. Russia, the court concluded that the "fairness of the elections ... was seriously compromised by the procedure in which the votes had been recounted. In particular, the extent of recounting, unclear reasons for ordering it, lack of transparency and breaches of procedural guarantees in carrying it out, as well as the results whereby the ruling party gained votes by large margins, strongly support the suspicion of unfairness."

In the 2011 elections, 450 seats were up for grabs in the Federal Assembly of Russia's lower house, called the State Duma.

In the final tally, President Vladimir Putin's party, United Russia, won 238 of the 450 seats and got just under 50% of the vote to retain their majority. In 2007, United Russia won 67% of the vote.

According to a 2011 Wall Street Journal analysis, United Russia got a lot of votes in precincts where voter turnout was above the national average. "That dynamic suggests broad ballot-stuffing," the Wall Street Journal wrote, adding that approximately 14 million of the 65.7 million votes cast were questionable.

Even Golos, Russia's leading independent vote-monitoring group, according to World Affairs Journal, said that the "elections of the deputies of the State Duma were not free and fair and that they did not comply with Russian electoral legislation and the international electoral standards."

After the results were announced, thousands of Russians took to the streets near the Kremlin, and across Russia, to condemn the rigged elections.

Fifty thousand Russian riot police were deployed to quell the situation, and more than 1,000 protestors were arrested.

Then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also said at the time that "we have serious concerns about the conduct of the election" and called for a "full investigation." Putin later accused Clinton of fomenting the protests.

Since the ECHR's conclusion, Russia has promised to appeal the ruling

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

arayess wrote: »
    interesting update on a stpry that got international headlines but no doubt western mainstream will bury this interview.

RT can have it's own unique take on situations.

It was funny watching the different versions of the Putin interview he did with Megyn Kelly. On the American side they put up the video saying she got the better of him. Then RT shows the same video saying Putin put her in her place. Both sides edit the video to show their side in the best light. The audience were laughing along with Putin but all that got edited out on the American version.

Of course that Megyn Kelly is a complete media shill, she's gone from being foxes poster girl to doing a complete 180 on everything she believes in and pretending her career with Fox never happened.

She got slated on the Trevor Noah show for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

arayess wrote: »

Yes, it's well known that that photo was a total setup. As was the young Syrian kid found on the Turkish beach in 2015 which led to Europe opening the floodgates to an endless flow of undocumented migrants from the 3rd World.

The state controlled Western media cannot be trusted with their unending barrage of fake news, misinformation and propaganda.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

el diablo wrote: »
    Yes, it's well known that that photo was a total setup. As was the young Syrian kid found on the Turkish beach in 2015 which led to Europe opening the floodgates to an endless flow of undocumented migrants from the 3rd World.

The state controlled Western media cannot be trusted with their unending barrage of fake news, misinformation and propaganda.

Is this the 'state controlled' media that Donald, POTUS and 'leader of the free world' daily attacks?

Seriously, do you people not get tired of parroting the same old BS time after time?

• Advertisement

Is this the 'state controlled' media that Donald, POTUS and 'leader of the free world' daily attacks?

Seriously, do you people not get tired of parroting the same old BS time after time?

Maybe I should've been clearer. I meant the leftist, liberal controlled media. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Oliver Stone, prominent historical revisionist and director of, amongst much else, the 1991 conspiracy-thriller film, JFK, has produced a new documentary about Putin - in which we learn that the Kremlin media narrative, as spoken by Putin and relayed via Stone with little questioning and less analysis, is the correct one after all:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-40231731/oliver-stone-talks-about-his-vladimir-putin-documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Oh look, Russia's dictator for life has had his opponent arrested, tried and sentenced, all in a matter of minutes - my those Russians are efficient.

I can't begin to express how surprised I am by this turn of events, I was more expecting poisoning by some exotic substance or him being run over by a truck mounting the kerb, driven, of course, by Chechen moslem separatists, who 7 years later, when they are eventually tracked down, would futilely claim they couldn't possibly have done it as they were at the time, guests of Putin's buddy, Kadyrov, having their gonads crushed with pliers and their fingernails torn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I notice that the story about the fake white helmet propoganda has not really been as well publicised as the original photo by the western free press.

robindch wrote: »
    Oliver Stone, prominent historical revisionist and director of, amongst much else, the 1991 conspiracy-thriller film, JFK, has produced a new documentary about Putin - in which we learn that the Kremlin media narrative, as spoken by Putin and relayed via Stone with little questioning and less analysis, is the correct one after all:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-40231731/oliver-stone-talks-about-his-vladimir-putin-documentary

Must be crime think if you don't agree with it.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Don't completely disagree with you Hank. I'm regularly telling my children that the US are no angels. They are young boys that just love military games and stuff and it's funny how the USA are always portrayed as the heroes.. Even in super hero movies the US are always the goodies...

But I see the USA as the best of a bad bunch of superpowers. Russian actions certainly look like they are primarily looking to destabilise western democracy. There is a far greater threat to global stability then anything I can see from the US..

Look at how Putin deals with political rivals. Look how he promotes intolerance. You think he's a better alternative to most American presidents?

Where exactly does China interfere? Russian actions are generally in its own sphere.

And changing the puppet doesn't really change who is really in charge of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Vlad the Embezzler. It isn't Glasnost if it doesn't pay.

With Putin, everyone pays.

I notice that the propoganda.

Haven't we all

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Vladimir was looking very chillaxed on his recent Siberian vacation.

rts1ail0.jpg

• Advertisement

I presume that was a result of your fond attentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If putin was made of chocolate he would eat himself.

The misplaced vanity of both Trump and Putin is amusing.

Vladimir inspecting some of the fruits of burgeoning Russian industry...

Like Peter the Great his finger is always on the pulse. A true leader that will go down in history as one of the greatest of all time.

Man love - it's not for everyone.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Man love - it's not for everyone.

Think it's more along the lines k9 puppy love between them two

This is embarrassing. :rolleyes:

el diablo wrote: »
    This is embarrassing. :rolleyes:

Vladimir must be flattered that they actually think he is so all powerful omnipotent that he can change the course of foreign elections at will. A truly pathetic and cringe-worthy display by Morgan Freeman, he should stick to the flicks.

Did anyone hear about poor Vlad showing videos to other leaders and journalists saved on his phone showing courageous russian forces fighting Isis in Syria and gun cams from various attacks on Isis ,

With a minor problem all of the videos came from US and Nato forces fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan .

Even had the Gaul to show to Oliver stone who's was only to happy to share to the world

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about poor Vlad showing videos to other leaders and journalists saved on his phone showing courageous russian forces fighting Isis in Syria and gun cams from various attacks on Isis ,

With a minor problem all of the videos came from US and Nato forces fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan .

Even had the Gaul to show to Oliver stone who's was only to happy to share to the world

Fake news claims yet another gullible victim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement