Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting panniers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

wow - really? No one has opinions on bike bags? (Not even hi-vis ones?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭uphillonly

Ortliebs not on your list?

I've been running these for years. Laptop going back & forth to work whatever the weather with no concern. No sign of wear & very secure.

Ortlieb Back Roller Classic
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-classic-pannier/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

uphillonly wrote: »
    Ortliebs not on your list?

I've been running these for years. Laptop going back & forth to work whatever the weather with no concern. No sign of wear & very secure.

Ortlieb Back Roller Classic
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-classic-pannier/

Ah yeah, it is, I just mistakenly called them Vaude. Updated. Everyone seems to swear by those bags, I see them a lot. A bit ugly though, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

Ortlieb back roller classic. Have a set for commuting, shopping, touring. they are functional. I Haven't looked at your list, I wouldn't buy anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I don't know how you can call the Ortliebs ugly and pass no comment on the last two yokes on your list. Those bags are seriously yucky. Just get the Ortliebs, really good solid bags. They even come in a range of colours, if you are that way inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I use ortlieb front rollers. I have back rollers but they're too big for my commuting needs. I've only ever used them for touring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Another vote for the ortlieb, can't fault them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Those our way out of my price list. For what it's worth, I have one's I picked up in Aldi for €15-€20. Not waterproof on their own, but have a waterproof cover like you'd get on a hiking backpack, which got me through the worst of the autumn/ winter without any leaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I bought my single pannier for 45€ online so it wasn't massive money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Both my SO and myself have been using Ortlieb backrollers every day for the past 5 years of commuting and they are still going strong. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Another option is the ortlieb *front* roller. Same as back but smaller and imo neater. I commute with one, and have only found the need for two if going to do a big shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My panniers are freebies. A colleague found them in a skip and, knowing I was looking for panniers, rescued them and gave them to me. They're Sporthouse, and good enough for my purposes, but I've never seen them for sale. I had to cut up some MDF to replace the plastic back boards, but other than that they've been trouble-free for about ten years. Given that that's ten years after someone else threw them out, I think that's pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Slightly OT but if one has a decent pannier (Ortlieb or similar) and uses it for shopping, going into town ect then isint there a risk of it being stolen?

How do people manage to minimize this risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Little risk of my ancient panniers being stolen, but I'd never leave them on a bike.

They fit to the sides of a shopping trolley quite nicely actually.

(Slightly related and not widely known tip: the Early Learning Centre €1 toy coin works perfectly as a token for Aldi trollies. The €2 toy coin is too big though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Slightly OT but if one has a decent pannier (Ortlieb or similar) and uses it for shopping, going into town ect then isint there a risk of it being stolen?

How do people manage to minimize this risk.

I've a pair of Giles Berthoud panniers. I lock my bike through the rear triangle/wheel quite tightly, and leave that pannier on, but unable to be removed, and bring the other with me. Bit of a pain, but don't know any better ways to keep them attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

One word - ORTLIEB.

THREAD CLOSED!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I use ortlieb. Six years, commuting, grocery shopping, touring, no problems no issues no complaints. Quite possibly there are other panniers that are just as good but I have no particular interest in finding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Mine is a Trek/bontrager 'interchange'. Clips on easily, pull out waterproof cover, two compartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

You've got plenty of advice but just to add my 2c. ....ortlieb back roller city. City version is a bit smaller and one criticism I read online is that they're a little hard to close (I don't really find this)

Plenty big enough to carry a folded suit, shoes and laptop. Waterproof. Reflective. Not at all ugly (have mine in red). Genuinely, thread closed

Advertisement