Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybrit with family?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

How is this area like? We found a house that seems to what we were looking for and were thinking of renting it, seems close enough to shops and workplace. Is this a good location though? I've heard to avoid ballybane and some areas in east. This house is near The Meadows. Should I rather get house in doughiska or Roscam? Or Renmore? Are there shops in Renmore? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've lived in Ballybrit with no issue.
    Any place can be good or bad depending on the neighbours, barking dogs, teens, students. It all comes down to tolerance levels :)

Have a drive around the area a few times at evenings and check out the neighbours, shops, bus stops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I personally would much prefer Renmore or Roscam to Ballybrit/Doughiska but The Meadows is probably the nicest part of Ballybrit if you are going to rent there.

With a young family i'd go Renmore if possible as there's some nice parks and beaches around there. Also close to closer to town and schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Renmore has a lot of students staying there who can be pretty noisy at times , a lot of houses there are rented out so its not all its made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aerohead wrote: »
    Renmore has a lot of students staying there who can be pretty noisy at times , a lot of houses there are rented out so its not all its made out to be.

Indeed. Doughiska has a far nicer park, a couple of supermarkets, a great school, family resource centre, etc. Leaves Renmore for dead.

OP, The Meadows is fine. Houses are hard to get at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

Thanks for your replies everyone. I am thinking of Roscam and Doughiska at the moment, it seems there are no shops in Renmore especially eastern side of it, and I agree the houses are scarce at the moment. And are picked away very quickly too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you were looking as far out as Doughiska, would Oranmore suit? Oranmore is a seriously nice place very close to Doughiska, and it has everything you could really need - several primary schools and a secondary school, playground, huge park, Tesco/Aldi/Lidl, cinema, astro turf pitches, bowling alley/arcade, great restaurants, good few pubs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

Thanks, I will look into it. Does it have good connection with public transport to Ballybrit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No, in that case, if you're relying on public transport you'd be better off in Doughiska, Oranmore has good public transport but the bus route doesn't go anywhere near Ballybrit, you'd have to get a second bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 john locke

Indeed. Doughiska has a far nicer park, a couple of supermarkets, a great school, family resource centre, etc. Leaves Renmore for dead.

OP, The Meadows is fine. Houses are hard to get at the moment.

Doughiska leaves renmore for dead...heard it all now!

Aerohead wrote: »

There are certain areas of Renmore that have lots of Students but it's Galway so you'll have them everywhere.
    Certain areas of Renmore are really quiet and there are shops there but it all depends what you're looking for. There's the Eye Cinema/butchers/Centra/Credit Union/Gym/Coffee shops/Post office and the hotels are all within walking distance for restaurants etc.

Doughiska also has a Halting site which may influence your decision too.

Either Location though has excellent public transport into Town and Parkmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

john locke wrote: »
    Doughiska leaves renmore for dead...heard it all now!

Well if an army barracks, hospice and funeral director and no supermarket are among your priorities for an area to live in, then yes, Renmore is better.

Other than that, too many students for my liking by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Perhaps for East Renmore but not West - very quiet area. A lot of retiree's live in this area.

Well if an army barracks, hospice and funeral director and no supermarket are among your priorities for an area to live in, then yes, Renmore is better.

God you'd swear Renmore was in the middle of nowhere. There are large supermarkets all within a 5-10 min drive, or if you're walking there are two smaller ones (Large Centra and SPAR on the Dublin road) which are about a 5-10 walk away.

Renmore is closer to the city , has a beach, Large park , Gyms , Hotels , Hospitals , Schools, Post Office ,Dental Center ,better public transport.

Renmore over Doughiska in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Renmore over Doughiska here as well.
    Doughiska is alright, but I see enough of bombed out Ukraine night after night on the news.

Advertisement