Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garmin 510 for custom routes

• 19-02-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Just looking at maybe purchasing an edge 510.is it possible to upload routes that I create on strava to it and will it show me the maps or even a friend route which he has recorded.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training logs

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Yes it is. It's straightforward. Strava allows you to export the route to your hard drive and from there you paste it into the Garmin folder called 'New Files' and voila. It doesn't show a detailed map like ther 800/810 does, but you follow a monochrome 'worm' and it gives you prompts for turns you should take. It works very well, I've done it multiple times, anmd have yet to get lost and had to call for the team car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

510 can show you a route as a line on the screen but it doesn't show any maps around it. So if you're coming up to a junction where the two options aren't 90 degrees off each other it can be bloody difficult to tell which one is the one you want before you get to the junction.

On the plus side, it'll tell you quickly if you choose the wrong one. So it's more of a handy safety net than a nice way to navigate. I've used it for some pretty long cycles and it has saved me a couple of times when I took the wrong turn. If you're also happy to slow right down coming up to junctions then it'll be fine too - it's a pain if you're leading a group and trying to navigate using it though.

The 810 has map support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It's handy, but not a very intuitive system to set up. As Quozl says, you'll definitely know if you've taken the wrong turn.

I doubt it would have been that hard to include very basic mapping on it, but Garmin didn't want to intrude on the 800 series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

+1 on the quality of the function.. i followed a route i did with a buddy before xmas. loaded it up and was able to keep an eye on the unit for junctions i was 100% about. keeps you moving without worrying you're heading off course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭willdill

Cheer guys maybe for the extra money might be better to go with the 810 ye reckon.

How important is it to you?

Not 2 important would like to do some training in the mountains but wouldn't really know my way around.friend of mine does it a lot but don't want have to depend on him coming along all the time.i could use his routes as well if I download them from strava

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

willdill wrote: »
    Not 2 important would like to do some training in the mountains but wouldn't really know my way around.friend of mine does it a lot but don't want have to depend on him coming along all the time.i could use his routes as well if I download them from strava

Wicklow(or wherever) isn't Alaska, getting lost occasionally is free, you get to learn new routes and maybe train for longer.

Most gadgets for bike are unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

as little as the garmin 500 would be grand for following routes around the hills. as above fairly soon though you'll to get your bearings and know your way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

willdill wrote: »
    Cheer guys maybe for the extra money might be better to go with the 810 ye reckon.

Or, you could see if you can find an Edge 705 second hand.... load it with free open source mapping and yer off!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

There aren't too many junctions in the Wickaler mountains, it's hard to get lost. You'll figure it out quickly enough. The 510 'worm' will be more than capable of leading you around before you get your bearings.

Yeah, the 510 would do you grand for Wicklow. Unless you've the cash to spend on the 810, but if it's a choice between the 810 or the 510 with cadence/heart monitor, go for the 510. If you can go for the 810 with cadence/heart monitor, well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The one thing I found with the 500 was that the 'worm' would often wander off to one side, even when I was on the only road around and then it would give me 'off course' warnings. I used the 500 courses when I first moved to new areas and found it did ok until it got to towns, and then it was a pain sometimes if you lost the course.
    I upgraded to an 800 and use free source maps and have no problems at all now (plus the 800 GPS is more accurate than the 500, quicker to find satellites when first switched on, and it just cooler - although there is a learning curve because I've inadvertantly done hard resets 3 times now and had to re-sort my screens and data)

Iv seen on the 800 series that you have to buy your maps after purchasing it that it only comes preloaded with basemaps (whatever they are ha a bit silly when you look at the price you pay for it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You can use the free OpenStreetMaps with them - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

I've no experience of that but if I was fancy enough to have an 810, I'd try them.

Ahh who am I kidding, if I was fancy enough to have an 810 I'd get my butler to put the most expensive maps on it that I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

What's the battery life like on the 810 compared to the 510? Nice to have the maps but if the battery dies after 4 hours it could be annoying!

Advertisement