Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Doors, Skirting & Architraves

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Our house that we bought two years ago is in many ways a relic from the 80's so with a limited enough budget we're trying to update it bit by bit. One of the next things on my list is to replace all the varnished pine internal doors, skirtings and architraves. Can anyone provide a guesstimate of what we should budget for this - don't need high end, solid wood doors - looking for white, kind of modern, that will last a while, value for money?
    Also, based in Dublin 5, so where should I go looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

any recommendations by pm thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We got a couple of walnut internal doors last year (not solid walnut), and they were 129 for the plain ones, and €229 for the one with 4 glass panels. If I remember rightly, the white (shaker style) doors we looked at were about €90- but there's probably cheaper available. Remember that white primed doors will need to be painted- that's what put me off- I felt it was worth paying a bit extra and avoiding maintenance.
    We got white primed skirting for about €30 per pack (give or take a small bit), and there was 12m per pack.
    Architrave-can't totally remember- maybe about €30 for each door set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Doors are only a part of the cost - will you need to replace the frames? Architrave pack (€30-40), frames (€40), Handles and hinges (€50), skirting can also be €30 for 5m.

If the carpenter needs to replace the frames its anything from €100-200 a door for fitting.

The most important thing is to get a top notch carpenter - the most expensive doors poorly hung will be knackered in no time like then old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I fitted handles a few weeks ago that were bought in aldi for 9.99 and they were every bit as good as any 50 euro handle I have fitted over the years so that might be a good starting point for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mrskd

thanks for all info ....... has anyone had all the woodwork painted instead of replacing and would you have an idea how much that would cost - 10 internal doors, frames, etc???

• Advertisement
Advertisement