Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Internships: Deloitte 6 week v PWC 8 Week

Options
  • 19-02-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey there,

I'm in my penultimate year in college and had interviews yesterday for both these firms for a summer internship and were offered both. From the presentation and interview styles and what I've heard it seems PwC seems like a better programme for interns work wise (Deloitte seems more fun, but also includes photocopying and filing kind of work; from what I've heard). However they finish the 31st of July whereas Deloitte finish the 10th of July. I was really hoping on travelling to America last week in July-ish till end of August.
    Does anyone know is there much of a difference experience-wise between the two or which is better? If there isn't I'm leaning towards deloitte just for the extra summer break but if PwC is a lot better/worthwhile I may just suck it up and work till the 31st.
    I know I probably shouldn't base my decision on the finish date but this is only just a summer experience and not a whole year graduate programme which would be more important.
    Any Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

They're both really similar - all of the big 4 firms are. Work experience will differ depending on the department you're in as well as the people you're working for - it likely won't be a manager, it'll probably be a 1st or 2nd year trainee. You'll likely be doing lots of photocopying and filing in either firm - interns don't get to do the exciting stuff I'm afraid!

I had an intern the summer I was a first year and he was brilliant - enthusiastic and always in early and worked so hard so I did give him some better stuff to do towards the end of his internship. But I don't want to sound negative to you, you won't be doing exciting work for 6 or 8 week internships in any firm. What is generally more useful is the fact that you get a blue chip name on your CV, you usually get to attend some proper training courses during your time there (like interview skills, presentation skills etc), you might get an offer of a training contract if you do a good job and you'll have some good contacts for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 obrowsing

Vancity wrote: »
    They're both really similar - all of the big 4 firms are. Work experience will differ depending on the department you're in as well as the people you're working for - it likely won't be a manager, it'll probably be a 1st or 2nd year trainee. You'll likely be doing lots of photocopying and filing in either firm - interns don't get to do the exciting stuff I'm afraid!

I had an intern the summer I was a first year and he was brilliant - enthusiastic and always in early and worked so hard so I did give him some better stuff to do towards the end of his internship. But I don't want to sound negative to you, you won't be doing exciting work for 6 or 8 week internships in any firm. What is generally more useful is the fact that you get a blue chip name on your CV, you usually get to attend some proper training courses during your time there (like interview skills, presentation skills etc), you might get an offer of a training contract if you do a good job and you'll have some good contacts for the future.
    Thanks appreciate the reply. Think I'm leaning towards PwC . Seems like a nice place to work afterwards if I get offered a graduate place!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would be basing my decision more so on which of the two firms I would be aiming to work for when I finish college rather than who gives less photocopying or the length of internship. Getting a toe in the door with an internship would be a help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

Your experience will depend on whether you are allocated to office duties or put on an audit.

I was a senior in one of the big 4 and we had interns for the summer who came out with us on audits. I was assigned an intern as well and I gave her lots of auditing work to do. She enjoyed it and there were some sections that only second years usually do but I gave them to her anyway because it was great experience for her.

I know some seniors just gave the usual work which was printing and photocopying, summarising minutes etc. It depends on the audit and the senior you are allocated however you can do two things:
    1. Ask PWC and Deloitte to make sure to put you on an audit instead of being in the office for the internship
    2. Ask the senior to give you more challenging sections if possible

If you do a good job, it is likely that you will get a training contract offer out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Hi obrowsing,

I got a phone call giving me an offer for Deloitte's internship on Thursday last. I was just wondering if you have received a letter from them yet, as I am eagerly awaiting it.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 sbrowsing

Hi obrowsing

Advertisement