Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good package that covers roaming in N. Ireland

Options
  • 19-02-2015 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We live close to the border and as a result - on an almost daily basis would be in and out of the UK.

It is time for a new mobile phone package and I would prefer to go sim only on a rolling 30 day contract.

The main stumbling block really would be roaming or making a call from Newry to ROI etc.

I've seen a few packages one that looks decent(ish) was 3's:

€30 - all everything with two €2.99 add-ons

1st one gives 300 units to call the UK from ROI
    2nd one gives 300 units to call ROI from UK along with 2GB of roaming data.

Just wondering are there any other packages out there that might offer better value.

I know in UK you can get a 3 package IIRC that allows you the use it as if still in the UK when roaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Hi All,

We live close to the border and as a result - on an almost daily basis would be in and out of the UK.

It is time for a new mobile phone package and I would prefer to go sim only on a rolling 30 day contract.

The main stumbling block really would be roaming or making a call from Newry to ROI etc.

The main problem with roaming is that you generally get hit with additional charges for incoming calls. While there are various solutions for outgoing calls, incoming calls happen out of the blue and you have no control over them unless you forward all calls to voicemail while roaming.

Meteor offer free incoming calls when roaming in Europe. You could go for their PAYG €20pm unlimited voice calls & 4G data while in ROI. You will also have unlimited incoming voice calls when in NI. 99c per day flat rate for 50MB data when roaming in NI. You get 400 free webtexts including 100 international which can be used either in NI or ROI. The MyMeteor app makes it as easy to send webtexts as normal texts. You could use the savings vs your €30 deal to buy some credit on Skype-out, which would let you originate calls in NI to people who aren't on Skype/Viber. eg €3.50 per month will get you 120 outgoing non Skype minutes to mobile or landlines in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Bob!

I always assumed it was the other way around no issue with receiving but done for calling someone in ROI from NI etc.

Fantastic on the alternative options for outgoing calls - does this use data?

I find when in the north that 3g is patchy - maybe 4g will be better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks Bob!

I always assumed it was the other way around no issue with receiving but done for calling someone in ROI from NI etc.

Fantastic on the alternative options for outgoing calls - does this use data?

I find when in the north that 3g is patchy - maybe 4g will be better. :)

Yes - it uses data for outgoing calls. You should get about 5 hours talk time per day for your 50MB Meteor allowance if you just make Skype calls to Mobiles & landlines and if you dont use data for anything else. Skype2Skype calls use data twice as fast. In practice, you will probably have access to WiFi at certain times and if so this will allow you to conserve your data allowance.

Advertisement