Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eugene's closing - true ?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Is this true? If so a pity. It's been a newsagent for as long as I can remember, that goes back many years.

What are the plans for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Yeah, next Saturday...apparently the owner is going to put it up for rent. A real shame , have been using it for years, have papers on order and always found a magazine covering my hobby interests...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is he renting it as a newsagent or as just a retail unit? It has changed management before - obviously it was originally owned and run by Eugene.

Maybe the florist will take the whole unit - she's only just moved in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

You'd need to sell a lot of flowers I reckon. It's a prime site.

Isn't it owned by the guy that did zig and zag or dustin the turkey?

Apparently the florist is going as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Topchick

It's an awful shame but unfortunately a sign of the times.The owners put a huge amount of time and effort in to it but sadly to no avail. On a brighter note, Orla, who owns the florist is relocating to a wonderful premises just up the road......Iretons. She would like to thank her customers for their valued support and business and is looking forward to continuing on as normal.

• Advertisement

Hi Orla, the flowers at Xmas did the trick ;) good to see you will still be open..

Topchick wrote: »
    It's an awful shame but unfortunately a sign of the times.The owners put a huge amount of time and effort in to it but sadly to no avail. On a brighter note, Orla, who owns the florist is relocating to a wonderful premises just up the road......Iretons. She would like to thank her customers for their valued support and business and is looking forward to continuing on as normal.

Is she taking over Ireton's shop, or just part of it. I've lived in Greystones for most of the last 35 years and I've never set foot in Iretons... even when I was a kid it seemed like a relic from a bygone age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Gosh, sorry to read Eugene's is closing. It has been an integral part of Greystones , for more years than I care to remember.
    Best Wishes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Dare I say it: will it be turned into a coffee shop?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

astrofluff wrote: »
    Dare I say it: will it be turned into a coffee shop?

Aye, Greystones needs another coffee shop;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Aye, Greystones needs another coffee shop;)

Absolutely, we need balance. Not enough on that side of the rosd. ;)

tumblr_nk0mao8DHp1qzcs9jo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

16704674395_abf46027ce_c.jpgFlower Shop by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Flowers By Ireton - not suspicious at all :pac:

fbi1_995.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Im going to have to be honest and say I purchased two grave wreathes from florist when they were in Eugene's during Christmas time.... ordered 2 weeks in advance, cost €80 for both and they were a disgrace, some small amount of greenerrey, with two dried oranges stuck on it... they looked bleak and depressing. I had paid in full for these the two weeks previous also

I couldn't believe it. I had discussed with her what we wanted she wrote it all down and when we collected I was soooo mad. We had discussed berries, cinnamon sticks, red ribbons etc this is what the €40 each came too I wont be going there again unless the quality improves. She could tell by my face I was not impressed at all. they were all over the place, it wont be somewhere ill be going back to :( and I always like to shop local where possible.

Cant see it staying for long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

Eugene's to become Sherry Fitzgerald I hear.

What? Sherry? No, no...I said coffee. pfth.

Estate agents taking prime main street locations again? We're back baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

cocker5 wrote: »
    Im going to have to be honest and say I purchased two grave wreathes from florist when they were in Eugene's during Christmas time.... ordered 2 weeks in advance, cost €80 for both and they were a disgrace, some small amount of greenerrey, with two dried oranges stuck on it... they looked bleak and depressing. I had paid in full for these the two weeks previous also

I couldn't believe it. I had discussed with her what we wanted she wrote it all down and when we collected I was soooo mad. We had discussed berries, cinnamon sticks, red ribbons etc this is what the €40 each came too I wont be going there again unless the quality improves. She could tell by my face I was not impressed at all. they were all over the place, it wont be somewhere ill be going back to :( and I always like to shop local where possible.

Cant see it staying for long :(

€40 won't get you very much when it comes to flowers from a florists, add in the fact that its a wreath which are very time consuming to make and you'll get even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

loyatemu wrote: »

The recession officially ended when they opened a dedicated Nespresso shop just off Grafton St, but this obviously confirms it!

"Honey, fetch my Decking catalogue, it's time (as Enda says) to 'go a bit mad again' "

• Advertisement

"Honey, fetch my Decking catalogue, it's time (as Enda says) to 'go a bit mad again' "

sorry, I can't hear you, I'm in my hot tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

sorry, I can't hear you, I'm in my hot tub.

Bulgarian Property Morkesh, here I come.... again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Whosthis wrote: »
    €40 won't get you very much when it comes to flowers from a florists, add in the fact that its a wreath which are very time consuming to make and you'll get even less.

well I saw stunning wreathes for sale in the place in the meridian for the same price.... as I said it wasn't flowers, it was a small amount of greenery plus two dried oranges... €40 each? I dont think so.

We discussed other things ir ribbons, cinnamon sticks etc as I mentioned already in my previous post and that where she came up with the €40 each... so I got a lot less than we agreed for the price - so wont be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Pity you had paid in advance for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Do you think it would cost a lot more than their current location in Meridian Point? It would give greater exposure.
    Anyone watching the domestic property market will see asking prices dropping. Take a peep at recent price changes on Myhome.ie
    Perhaps they want to heighten their profile in a competitive market.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Cerco wrote: »
    Do you think it would cost a lot more than their current location in Meridian Point? It would give greater exposure.
    Anyone watching the domestic property market will see asking prices dropping. Take a peep at recent price changes on Myhome.ie
    Perhaps they want to heighten their profile in a competitive market.

Possibly not a huge amount more, the meridian is very expensive to rent once u add their managemen fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

grouser wrote: »
    Eugene's to become Sherry Fitzgerald I hear.

So what will go into their unit in the Meridian Centre, I wonder?

last I heard Heatons needed/wanted more space. Just can't remember where the Jewelers are (are they beside Heatons?) - they might need to bump down a unit.

Advertisement