Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Sources for Men's Shed Group

Options
  • 19-02-2015 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey... just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions about something a few of us are trying to do.

We're invovled in supporting a local Men's Shed group in South Dublin and the men coming along are mainly invovled in wood based activities (making planters, boxes, street furniture, etc) in the workshop. They tend to find that sourcing wood can be difficult. While we're able to buy some new wood with limited funds it's not really a long-term sustainable option. Some local businesses have offered pallets now and again and the men would prefer to recycel waste/unused wood where possible. Pallets seem to be a good option but the sources and types of wood vary greatly - as long as it can be used to make something else though it's great. So I've a few thoughts about how we might get a more consistent wood source through the year, but I'd welcome anyone else's thoughts/suggestions.

Cheers.
    R.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe ring a few tree surgeons and see could they throw a few bits your way instead of grinding them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Thanks for that... I hadn't thought about that... much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Maybe get in touch with the dumps and recycling centres -they often get timber in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Red Hare wrote: »
    Maybe get in touch with the dumps and recycling centres -they often get timber in.

Yeah I had that on my possible list and there's one in Ballymount I think, so I'll definitely pursue it... thanks for the suggestion... appreciated.

Advertisement