Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog groomed who definitely doesn't want to be groomed?

• 19-02-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Opie hates it. He runs as soon as he sees a brush and gets very mouthy if you try and brush him. He has a beautiful collie coat and I'd like to keep it in good nick. We bathed him the day we got him and haven't tried since (terrible, I know). When he gets his stitches out in 9 days, we're going to attempt another bath with me in it as well and see if he handles it better, but I was wondering are there any groomers in the N/E (Monaghan, Cavan, Dundalk etc) that would be more than capable of dealing with a collie coat (ie no shaving) and a dog that might not like it :pac:

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations of dog trainers/behaviourists in Cavan? We're planning on dealing with one and I'd like to see if anyone has dealt with them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

would one of those grooming mitts/gloves help? Does he like being handled - by you - if you started off with something similar to a massage, if he enjoyed that, you could go on to some coat management

this kind of thing:
    http://www.petshoponline.ie/grooming-glove

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Paws-Magic-Glove-Grooming/dp/B0006N9IYA

one of my dogs loved being groomed, another hated it - my daughter used to sit and feed him dog-choc-drops while I did a very quick groom - hes ok with it now, just a choc-drop before and after. But it was a case of a few seconds today, a bit longer tomorrow, and so on until he accepted it as a boring chore. A collie we had for 17 years would never let us near his coat, but he was a rescue & was very anxious/stressy all his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bribe him!

That's how I groom my Shih Tzu. That dog will do anything for a bit of cheese/ham/sausage/dog treats! :D

It's a slow process, but he knows that if he co-operates, then he gets a treat. He'll even sit in front of my husband now and indicate his treat box which is besides the hubby. Start out by giving the treat, brush him for a couple of minutes, then treat him again. You can build up from there.

I have to bring out the big guns when he has his bath though. Only ham, sausage or cheese afterwards will do :rolleyes: And they say Shih Tzu are stupid!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well turns out all I had here was the furminator, which I think might be too harsh for him at this age anyway. I'm going to see about getting one of those grooming mitts because he definitely loves being petted and rubbed and will sit for hours if you keep going! I think it's when you hit even the slightest of tangles is when he gets peed off!

I'd get a wide-toothed knotbreaker as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

PM me for a great trainer/behaviourist that I used. She's based in Dundalk but does travel. Can't post link here as I don't have enough posts to do so.....frustrating.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Well turns out all I had here was the furminator, which I think might be too harsh for him at this age anyway. I'm going to see about getting one of those grooming mitts because he definitely loves being petted and rubbed and will sit for hours if you keep going! I think it's when you hit even the slightest of tangles is when he gets peed off!

maybe he is very sensitive? With my dog, he has zero (!!) pain threshold.
    If he loves being stroked and petted, definately try a mitt
    I think someone on here mentioned some sort of conditioner that was put on the coat, to help - remember that Johnsons&Johnsons No More Tears stuff - you need the equivalent for your dog!!

You mean The Stuff. I use it all the time on my dog, and it's great for keeping the mats down to a minimum.

Spray and brush through (if you can!) on his coat after bathing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I know with Rusty we used to have to spell the word brush or approach him with it behind our backs!

However 2 or 3 times a year we took him to the groomers and he wasn't a bit of trouble for her:D

Thankfully Elly keeps herself spotlessly clean and hasn't needed anything yet, she's a beautiful silky collie coat (shortish hair so far)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would not use a Furminator on a long, silky coat, it breaks the hairs!
    The Furminator is great on a short double coat, like huskies and short-coated GSDs, but not collie coats.
    Undercoat rakes are great, as are the straightforward pin brushes. But aonb's advice with the grooming glove is perfect to slowly get him enjoying the grooming :)

Advertisement