Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Ironman Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A stock one-size-fits-all plan will probably suit if it can be fitted into your schedule.

Though if I thought I fitted this profile:
    This plan is aimed more towards the ‘pointy’ end of the field – those who have done a few half-Ironmans or have been competitive over the Olympic distance and want to take a serious approach to the racing..

I would probably be considering speaking with a coach about developing a plan tailored to suit me based on past results and current abilities to achieve the best result possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

AKW wrote: »
    A stock one-size-fits-all plan will probably suit if it can be fitted into your schedule.

Though if I thought I fitted this profile:

I would probably be considering speaking with a coach about developing a plan tailored to suit me based on past results and current abilities to achieve the best result possible.

Where do i go about speaking to a coach around the Munster area

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Local GAA club?

Seriously though you need to decide what you want to get from a coach (do they swim/bike/run with you, do you want a weekly plan, monthly plan, or what type of plan etc etc). If online coaching is your thing Peter Kerns has a good track record with ladies. Although if you want to get more "assistance" on the bike in races or race day run pacing help GoTri could be considered too.

(Seriously if looking at online coaching Kerns is good, other than my old coach he's probably the only coach I'd consider working with, otherwise ask around those that you train with or know.)

You also need to consider budget, as in what you want to spend on a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Would you not throw your own hat in the ring tunney?

I'm guessing op has signed up for Dublin 70.3 and possibly a first venture into triathlons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Would you not throw your own hat in the ring tunney?

Thats not the way I operate!
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm guessing op has signed up for Dublin 70.3 and possibly a first venture into triathlons.

She has been posting for a while anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

To be honest if you are looking at those generic plans you would probably learn more and get better advice from some seasoned triathletes in a local club.

Depending on where you are they may have recommendations of local coaches, I know of a few around the Limerick area who may be of use. But as mentioned in other coaching threads, you need to know what you want to get out of it first, then find a coach that can help with that and fits your budget / life etc.

Advertisement