Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt Renewal

Options
  • 19-02-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

By using VAG-COM, I know that the timing is slightly off on my 1.9TDI (AGR). I forget which way it is off, but it is off.

The car is getting it's timing belt renewed next week, will this in theory guarantee that the timing is fixed or will I have to get that adjusted as well?

I know the timing can be adjusted with the belt on, but I have not had the balls to do it. I am going to let the mechanic know that it needs to be sorted, but I would not have the money for a separate job on top of the belt.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Talk to your mechanic, explain what you want.

If it's only slightly off it's a minor job. I'v seen them out to the point where they are off the graph and a little more difficult to correct but nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

dieselbug wrote: »
    Talk to your mechanic, explain what you want.

If it's only slightly off it's a minor job. I'v seen them out to the point where they are off the graph and a little more difficult to correct but nothing major.

Thanks for the reply. Of course, I will chat to him when I can; but, in the mean time I am just looking to find out if a good timing belt renewal negates the need for making minor adjustments or whether the minor adjustments would have to be a separate job, regardless of the belt renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

bbk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Of course, I will chat to him when I can; but, in the mean time I am just looking to find out if a good timing belt renewal negates the need for making minor adjustments or whether the minor adjustments would have to be a separate job, regardless of the belt renewal.

It has to be done as one and the same really, the belt will have to come off to reset the timing, its handy that you need to renew as it will be done as part of the work, but you should mention that the timing is off, incase the mech doing it just locks the pulleys instead of checking the timing.

Explanation vid on timing belts if you're interesting in learning about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmtiYheNBWc

Cheensbo wrote: »
    It has to be done as one and the same really, the belt will have to come off to reset the timing, its handy that you need to renew as it will be done as part of the work, but you should mention that the timing is off, incase the mech doing it just locks the pulleys instead of checking the timing.

Okay, I had a feeling that it could be done and retain the current incorrect timing.

I have been planning on following this video to correct it, but I will be sure to chat to the mechanic in detail about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1iLVCUWPU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

bbk wrote: »
    Okay, I had a feeling that it could be done and retain the current incorrect timing.

I have been planning on following this video to correct it, but I will be sure to chat to the mechanic in detail about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1iLVCUWPU

Ugh im probably wrong :o pump timing on a mech pump engine might not need belt removal..

• Advertisement

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Ugh im probably wrong :o pump timing on a mech pump engine might not need belt removal..

Yes, that is the significance of the AGR engine, before the days of fancy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Very few garages would check and adjust the dynamic pump timing as part of a timing belt replacement on one of these.

In fact I would say that a lot of garages wouldn't even know how to go about doing it.

Advertisement