Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell latitude 1564 wont turn on

Options
  • 19-02-2015 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys bit of advice needed I have a Dell latitude 1564 that wont turn on it has the Intel core i3 processor I reckon its about 4 year old at most it was working fine up until a while back just the usual dell problem with battery not charging displayed on windows and I'm using a second hand genuine dell charger which i been using for past year or so it was working ok and it still charges my other dell laptop.
    When i plug in the charger the battery light stays on for a few seconds and when i press the power button first time after plugging it in the power and hard drive button flash once and go off again without any fans coming on if i press it again straight away the battery light just flashes continuously
    I have tried different ram in it and tried one in each slot.
    I also took out the cmos battery and held down the power button for about 3 minutes or so and when i tried this the laptop booted up to bios no problem but i have tried this again since then but no luck.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hi guys bit of advice needed I have a Dell latitude 1564 that wont turn on it has the Intel core i3 processor I reckon its about 4 year old at most it was working fine up until a while back just the usual dell problem with battery not charging displayed on windows and I'm using a second hand genuine dell charger which i been using for past year or so it was working ok and it still charges my other dell laptop.
    When i plug in the charger the battery light stays on for a few seconds and when i press the power button first time after plugging it in the power and hard drive button flash once and go off again without any fans coming on if i press it again straight away the battery light just flashes continuously
    I have tried different ram in it and tried one in each slot.
    I also took out the cmos battery and held down the power button for about 3 minutes or so and when i tried this the laptop booted up to bios no problem but i have tried this again since then but no luck.
    Thanks in advance.

Have you attempted to boot without the laptop battery installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Have you attempted to boot without the laptop battery installed?

Sorry that was the one piece of info I forgot to include, yhh I have been booting it without battery installed I previously tried with battery in ect. I have tried It with different chargers ect.. Usually id say ohh its the motherboard but the one thing I have giving me hope is that out of nowhere yesterday it booth after I holding power button for 3 mins to drain power I think my next step will be to strip it down and reseat the cpu and have look at all the capacitors, I've read somewhere that you can try shorting out the four capacitors on the motherboard that helps drain them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Get a multi-reader and test the voltage of the cmos battery, it should be about 3V.
    If it is less than that then the cmos battery may need replacing?

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Get a multi-reader and test the voltage of the cmos battery, it should be about 3V.
    If it is less than that then the cmos battery may need replacing?

I'll do that I have a few battery's here that ill just try in it.

While your at it, check the DC jack and also check the mobo for any blown capacitors.

• Advertisement

While your at it, check the DC jack and also check the mobo for any blown capacitors.

I'll strip it down this evening I just quickly changed cmos battery it made no difference I had a new battery there. This is hard to explain but the odd time that the power light comes on when you press the power switch you can here a faint noise when its going off again now its not a fan noise or hdd noise just a faint noise like the power draining from the board or screen maybe if you can understand what I'm saying.

Disconnect the touchpad then reconnect it. There seems to be an issue with those laptops going into sleep/hibernation mode and disconnecting and reconnecting the touchpad can sort it out.

The only other two possible causes are the DC jack and the mobo. Inspect both while you have it apart.
    And also remember to apply fresh thermal compound if you take out the heatsink.

Disconnect the touchpad then reconnect it. There seems to be an issue with those laptops going into sleep/hibernation mode and disconnecting and reconnecting the touchpad can sort it out.

The only other two possible causes are the DC jack and the mobo. Inspect both while you have it apart.
    And also remember to apply fresh thermal compound if you take out the heatsink.

Yh I read about the touchpad issue also it originated on an older dell model but seemingly applies to a few models. I have to take the heat sink off anyway I was running a small bit warm for a while anyway but not overheating or anything so I had planned to reseat it anyway.

Advertisement