Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get more chin ups and pull ups

• 19-02-2015 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Bodyweight movements can be a complete pig - how can you get stronger on something when there's no way of changing the weight of the movement?!

You can manipulate a few things;

> Number of reps

> Number of sets

> Tempo

In this video I talk about 2 scenarios;

1) How to go from a few chin ups, to a lot more

2) How to go from "zero" to "some"

Video notes below:

-[--OPTION 1--]-

STEP 1:
    Test max chin ups / pull ups - if you get 4 or more - do the below:

STEP 2:
    W1D1: 8x 50% of max reps
    W1D2: 9x 50%
    W1D3: 10x 50%

W2D1: 8x 50% +1 rep
    W2D2: 9x 50% +1 rep
    W2D3: 10x 50% +1 rep

STEP 3:
    Stick to the system for 3-5 weeks and then retest.

-[--OPTION 2--]-

STEP 1:
    Test max chin up / pull up negative (lowering) time. Your future goal is to get to AT LEAST 30s lowering in a slow, controlled and consistent manor.

STEP 2:
    W1D1: 8x 50% of your time
    W1D2: 9x 50%
    W1D3: 10x 50%

W2D1: 8x 50% +1-2 sec
    W2D2: 9x 50% +1-2 sec
    W2D3: 10x 50% +1-2 sec

STEP 3:
    Stick to the system for 3-5 weeks and then retest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great content, cheers.

That said - for some 'be less fat' would be the primary fix! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Being less fat certainly worked for me.

I also added 5kg with a belt, even when I could only do 3 or 4.

Then when I took the weight belt off I could do 10-11 normal ones no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bump.

Someone relinked this in a new thread. Thought it would be good to pull it back up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Hanley wrote: »
    Bump.

Someone relinked this in a new thread. Thought it would be good to pull it back up here.

Spiderman-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Being less fat certainly worked for me.

I also added 5kg with a belt, even when I could only do 3 or 4.

Then when I took the weight belt off I could do 10-11 normal ones no problem.
    I have started to do pull ups in my routine with the last few weeks and can manage 2 sets of 5 at body weight and was doing another 3 sets of 5 on the assisted pull up machine after. Pretty much the opposite to what you did. Anyone care to tell me which would be a better approach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I was up to 30 at my best, there was an app I used for it, builds you up each day.
    Must get back at it!

I have started to do pull ups in my routine with the last few weeks and can manage 2 sets of 5 at body weight and was doing another 3 sets of 5 on the assisted pull up machine after. Pretty much the opposite to what you did. Anyone care to tell me which would be a better approach?

Did you read the first post in the thread?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Probably the approach the coach posted

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Just to bump this. Have given it a go and it works

First attempt at wide grip pull ups, managed about 3 and a half

Stuck to the template and managed 9 sets of 4 last night, very satisfying!

Will probably continue until I hit the 10 sets of 5 and then retest. I guess you could keep rerunning this template indefinitely for more reps or else add weight?

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Just to bump this. Have given it a go and it works

First attempt at wide grip pull ups, managed about 3 and a half

Stuck to the template and managed 9 sets of 4 last night, very satisfying!

Will probably continue until I hit the 10 sets of 5 and then retest. I guess you could keep rerunning this template indefinitely for more reps or else add weight?

F*ck me. Well done.

How long did it take you to get here?

You could rerun it again for sure. I'd be interested to see what would happen if you added a 5-10kg plate and did max pull ups and used THAT number as the basis for the next run tho.

eg: you get 10kg x8

D1 = BW+10kg 8x4 etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

It says to follow the programme for 3 to 5 weeks. So does this mean I add an extra rep to each workout each week? Would this mean by week 5 I would be doing 8×50% +5 reps and so on. Or do you just leave it at the extra 2 reps

It says to follow the programme for 3 to 5 weeks. So does this mean I add an extra rep to each workout each week? Would this mean by week 5 I would be doing 8×50% +5 reps and so on. Or do you just leave it at the extra 2 reps

W1= 50% of max reps (MR)
    W2= 50% MR +1
    W3 = 50% MR +2
    W4 = 50% MR +3
    W5 = 50% MR +4

Then on week 5 or 6, retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

F*ck me. Well done.

How long did it take you to get here?

You could rerun it again for sure. I'd be interested to see what would happen if you added a 5-10kg plate and did max pull ups and used THAT number as the basis for the next run tho.

eg: you get 10kg x8

D1 = BW+10kg 8x4 etc etc

not long at all!

8 sets of 2
    9 sets of 2
    10 sets of 2
    8 sets of 3
    9 sets of 3
    10 sets of 3
    8 sets of 4
    9 sets of 4

I Kept 60 to 90 seconds rest between sets

So 8 days, no set schedule..I started out every second day but then missed afew days and came back to it and went every second day.

Might give it a go with a weight so for the test after the 10 sets of 5 and see how i get on, could never picture myself doing a pull up with added weight :D

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    not long at all!

8 sets of 2
    9 sets of 2
    10 sets of 2
    8 sets of 3
    9 sets of 3
    10 sets of 3
    8 sets of 4
    9 sets of 4

I Kept 60 to 90 seconds rest between sets

So 8 days, no set schedule..I started out every second day but then missed afew days and came back to it and went every second day.

Might give it a go with a weight so for the test after the 10 sets of 5 and see how i get on, could never picture myself doing a pull up with added weight :D

Let's say you weight 80kg and do 8. That gives a theoretical max capacity of 101kg, or you +20kg.

Operating at about 85% of max capacity, you should get 4-6 reps, or 85kg for 4-6 reps.

That's you +5kg.

Great work so far - you should be really proud of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Why do people like to over-complicate these things so much?

I got better at chin ups by simply doing them for a set amount of time several times a week... at the very beginning (over a decade ago now), that meant doing 10mins x3 times a week. Mon/wed/fri

In the beginning I could barely do more than 2 or 3 full chin ups at a go... but when you stick to a set amount of time, you will quickly improve.

After a few weeks doing 10mins, I was finding that more comfortable so I just simply added 5 mins. So now 15 mins x3 times a week. You can build up to 30-40 minutes within a few months if you're consistent.

Doing them for time is a very simple and straight forward progression method. Just listen to your body and push yourself a bit each time - but obviously not too hard.

Forget reps and sets - just do as much as you want in that time frame. And if you can find (or build) an outdoor bar, you can even make it more fun and interesting by trying some other moves when you get more confident too!

Monkeys don't do reps and sets... calisthenics is about playing and movement. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Forget reps and sets - just do as much as you want in that time frame. And if you can find (or build) an outdoor bar, you can even make it more fun and interesting by trying some other moves when you get more confident too!

I'd rather take advice from a reputable trainer with a proven track record and his own successful gym business, but thanks anyway.

I'd rather take advice from a reputable trainer with a proven track record and his own successful gym business, but thanks anyway.

No problem. :)

I'm just giving people another method and a different perspective. I've been doing calisthenics training for a long time now, so I have a lot of experience in this area.

I think reps and sets can be a very rigid and robotic style when it comes to body weight movements. But that's just my opinion.

It's good for people to know there are alternative methods, and they can choose which one they prefer. My time method can be a more simplified and relaxed way... and it produces great results.

Also if anybody is looking to move on to more advanced calisthenic movements in the future, I feel it's good practice to move away from that reps & sets mentality when attempting more rhythmic/gymnastic style moves... which require a more relaxed playful approach. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

No problem. :)

I'm just giving people another method and a different perspective. I've been doing calisthenics training for a long time now, so I have a lot of experience in this area.

I think reps and sets can be a very rigid and robotic style when it comes to body weight movements. But that's just my opinion.

It's good for people to know there are alternative methods, and they can choose which one they prefer. My time method can be a more simplified and relaxed way... and it produces great results.

Also if anybody is looking to move on to more advanced calisthenic movements in the future, I feel it's good practice to move away from that reps & sets mentality when attempting more rhythmic/gymnastic style moves... which require a more relaxed playful approach. :)

Well the best people at gymnastics are gymnasts, and when you get to a basic level at the sport you need to do co-ordinated and structured training to get the best out of it.

Why do people like to over-complicate these things so much?

I got better at chin ups by simply doing them for a set amount of time several times a week... at the very beginning (over a decade ago now), that meant doing 10mins x3 times a week. Mon/wed/fri

In the beginning I could barely do more than 2 or 3 full chin ups at a go... but when you stick to a set amount of time, you will quickly improve.

After a few weeks doing 10mins, I was finding that more comfortable so I just simply added 5 mins. So now 15 mins x3 times a week. You can build up to 30-40 minutes within a few months if you're consistent.

Doing them for time is a very simple and straight forward progression method. Just listen to your body and push yourself a bit each time - but obviously not too hard.

Monkeys don't do reps and sets... calisthenics is about playing and movement. ;)

Overcomplicate things?

It's quite simple.

It's funny you complain about "over complicated" and then go on to suggest a different system which also requires tracking numbers and operating "off feel".

..which anyone who's trained more than a few people will realise can't be relied upon because most 'normal' people don't work well when left to their own devices. Prescribed sets and reps work well because they remove uncertainty.

It's easy to lose sight of that when n=1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah, but monkeys.

QED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

not following a system and doing it by feel is a waste of time for me.. I do pullups every time I pass the stairs and I've gone from barely one to only 7 at the moment. There was a while that I got up to 10-15 consistently but now I can only do 7 or maybe 8 at a time.. but I can hop back up straight away and do another set. What gives? I'm not doing any of that kipping ****e, slow drawn out movements only and with a grip as wide as I can go on the stairs so just a few inches wider than my shoulders on each side. I've been doing it a few times most days for ages now and the progress has been so slow and has seemingly stopped. So maybe there's a bit of magic in working out the percentages.

Overcomplicate things?

It's quite simple.

It's funny you complain about "over complicated" and then go on to suggest a different system which also requires tracking numbers and operating "off feel".

..which anyone who's trained more than a few people will realise can't be relied upon because most 'normal' people don't work well when left to their own devices. Prescribed sets and reps work well because they remove uncertainty.

It's easy to lose sight of that when n=1.

For me, your method is needlessly complicated. I'm not saying it's brain surgery either btw... just more complicated than I think it needs to be.

But to each their own. I'm sure lots of people like that rigid style of training.... it's not for me, and I could never have reached the level I'm at now by following a method such as that. (it would bore me to tears, and I would have quit calisthenics a long time ago)

I'm not here to start a row with you hanley, just giving people my alternative view. There are possibly others on here, like myself, that also would benefit from a more relaxed training style.

There is structure in my method btw. Time is a perfectly legit method of structuring your training. It would be wrong to categorize it as purely "off feel".

I started calisthenics as a way to train for climbing. That's probably why I favor a less prescriptive training style... Reps & sets is not much use for building the type of functional strength I required for that sport.

I see calisthenics just as much about skill as strength. In my experience, the best way to learn a skill is to approach it as playing. Like when you see children playing on the monkey bars in a playground... or climbing things, as children often do.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal'? I consider myself to be 'normal'... and my methods are not some crazy loopy training style.

I frequently do 45min intense "bar sessions" several times a week. (I have built up to this over many years). But I still follow the exact same training principles as when I started as a complete novice...

I listen to my body, like you would in any other fitness/sports activity. There's really no uncertainty about it. Your body will tell you very quickly if you are pushing too hard - too soon!

I did the same in many other activities. Take skipping for example... I used an identical training strategy to get better at skipping, which is another example of an activity which requires both skill and elements of fitness.

There is essentially no difference between something like skipping and strength calisthenics. Don't be tricked by the fact that one is strength-based and the other is cardio. Would you advise someone to use reps and sets to get better at skipping?

My time method works just as well for chin ups as it does for skipping. And time is a simple and perfectly legit way to ensure gradual progress.

But like I said, not looking to get into a row with you about it... we're all different beasts and we like different approaches.

I'm just giving people an alternative. Hopefully it can be helpful for someone, like it has been for me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

For me, your method is needlessly complicated. I'm not saying it's brain surgery either btw... just more complicated than I think it needs to be.
    I've no doubt that your method worked for you, and that you got better and stronger at chin up over time. But you are looking at it from the POV of you own familiarity.
    But in the eyes of a novice, you method is much more complicated. Look how many questions get asked about a very programs. If you gave novices that instruction, a significant amount of people wouldn't have a clue how to approach that. Give it to three different people, and one would try to do too much, and another would do too little (lots of people are inherently lazy), one might get it right.

"Listen to your body" is great advice, but its not something that a lot of people are very good at doing.

Also, you said you progressed to 40mins a few times a week. Most people simply don't have that sort of time to spend on pull ups. They got all their other exercises to get through in the 3 sessions a week.
    If someone is working towards "Bar Starz" type abilities (and it sounds like you were), they are a very unique subset, and none of this thread was aimed at them
    I started calisthenics as a way to train for climbing. That's probably why I favor a less prescriptive training style... Reps & sets is not much use for building the type of functional strength I required for that sport.
    I don't think the bit in bold is correct to be honest.
    During your 10/15/20 mins of pull up, you were presumably doing multiple reps, broken up into sets. You maybe weren't counting them, and were they were less rigid. They were still random sets and reps, that increase from week to week as you got stronger.
    In all likelihood, if you did actually counted all the sets and reps. You probably unknowingly did a rep scheme that wasn't unlike the one in the op.
    (Day one = 10 mins = 5-10 sets of 2-3 reps, and so on)
    I see calisthenics just as much about skill as strength. In my experience, the best way to learn a skill is to approach it as playing. Like when you see children playing on the monkey bars in a playground... or climbing things, as children often do.

Calistheics have a huge skill element. But this is a factor in some moves more than others. Pull-ups are a pretty basic movement, once you have the movement down, it mostly comes down to strength.

I'm doing calisthenics myself the moment. Some the movements I use a rep based progression. But a lot of them I train in terms of time: handstands, monkey bars, splits, horse stance. So I'm not complete ignorant to the approach you are describing. I just think most people will mess it up.

Would you advise someone to use reps and sets to get better at skipping?
    That depends.
    Are they failing because they lack the skill to keep skipping. Or purely because they lack the physical fitness to go beyond a few seconds (they could skip when younger say)
    The best way to solve those two issues is not the same.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've no doubt that your method worked for you, and that you got better and stronger at chin up over time. But you are looking at it from the POV of you own familiarity.
    But in the eyes of a novice, you method is much more complicated. Look how many questions get asked about a very programs. If you gave novices that instruction, a significant amount of people wouldn't have a clue how to approach that. Give it to three different people, and one would try to do too much, and another would do too little (lots of people are inherently lazy), one might get it right.

"Listen to your body" is great advice, but its not something that a lot of people are very good at doing.

Also, you said you progressed to 40mins a few times a week. Most people simply don't have that sort of time to spend on pull ups. They got all their other exercises to get through in the 3 sessions a week.
    If someone is working towards "Bar Starz" type abilities (and it sounds like you were), they are a very unique subset, and none of this thread was aimed at them

During your 10/15/20 mins of pull up, you were presumably doing multiple reps, broken up into sets. You maybe weren't counting them, and were they were less rigid. They were still random sets and reps, that increase from week to week as you got stronger.
    In all likelihood, if you did actually counted all the sets and reps. You probably unknowingly did a rep scheme that wasn't unlike the one in the op.

Calistheics have a huge skill element. But this is a factor in some moves more than others. Pull-ups are a pretty basic movement, once you have the movement down, it mostly comes down to strength.

I'm doing calisthenics myself the moment. Some the movements I use a rep based progression. But a lot of them I train in terms of time: handstands, monkey bars, splits, horse stance. So I'm not complete ignorant to the approach you are describing. I just think most people will mess it up.

That depends.
    Are they failing because they lack the skill to keep skipping. Or purely because they lack the physical fitness to go beyond a few seconds (they could skip when younger say)

Can you follow me around on boards and flesh out the thoughts and points I make that I don't have time to clarify on please?

Nailed it again. Well said.

There's nothing wrong with time based training, and we use it a lot in the gym. But if I tell clients to go super set chins and dips, and get as many reps done as possible in 15 minutes I get about 4 or 5 questions.

If I tell them to do between 3 and 5 chins and 4 to 6 dips and get as many rounds done as possible in 15 minutes, I get barely any.

Mellor wrote: »

That depends.

I think we might have to agree to disagree on much of what you said there mellor... but that's okay, right?

There's no one right answer or approach to these things. It's quite likely you are not among those who would benefit from my methods.

I don't feel I was only seeing things from my own perspective. I think many people can potentially benefit from my approach.... but of course not everyone! :)

Some people will see a great deal more flexibility in my method, while others will see that flexibility as a negative aspect. That's life - no worries! ;)

btw I quite often incorporate shorter duration "bar sessions" into my broader timed workout routines, or just throw a few in randomly within a broader timed workout, which is also another fun way to get better at them gradually without worrying about how many sets or reps you're doing... (again IF that more relaxed style is something that appeals to you)

So people should not worry about timed chin-ups getting in the way of their other exercises. There is plenty of room for flexibility if you keep an open mind about it.

Anyway, not here to get in some big entrenched dispute over which is the better method with you either mellor. It's good to give people alternative options. There's surely room for both?

People will gravitate towards whichever style fits their personality. :)
    But if I tell clients to go super set chins and dips, and get as many reps done as possible in 15 minutes I get about 4 or 5 questions.

Just to clarify something here hanley, I never advocated that anybody should test their max limits in every timed session... I don't consider that a wise training strategy.

That's why I talked about "playing" earlier. Personally I only occasionally push myself to my limits. Most of the time I like to keep something in the tank in most sessions. That's also what I'm referring to when I talk about listening to your body... I never suggested pushing to failure regularly.

Just because they're timed sessions, doesn't mean you are racing the clock.

Like I said earlier, push yourself a bit - but not too much. Imo and also in my experience, this is not difficult advice for most people to follow. I know some people on here will disagree, but we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

I think we might have to agree to disagree on much of what you said there mellor... but that's okay, right?
    Yeah of course that's completely ok to disagree. Which part do do you disagree with?
    The above post can be summarised as "it suits some people". I didn't, and wouldn't disagree with that fact tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Are pull ups harder for tall people than shorter people, say with the same body weight?

Read online about length of arms meaning there is more distance to travel. In my head I also feel that tall peoples centre of gravity is further from the bar. But are these negligible?

I really struggle with pull ups in comparison to my shorter friends but would usually be stronger than them on most other exercises. Wondering if I am just being a tinfoil hatter and need to just work on it more?

Are pull ups harder for tall people than shorter people, say with the same body weight?

Read online about length of arms meaning there is more distance to travel. In my head I also feel that tall peoples centre of gravity is further from the bar. But are these negligible?

I really struggle with pull ups in comparison to my shorter friends but would usually be stronger than them on most other exercises. Wondering if I am just being a tinfoil hatter and need to just work on it more?

There's numerous reasons why you could be weaker on pull ups. Height is about 1 of 20 :)

Arm length might contribute to the difficultly, in the same way arm short arms could benefit bench press. But distance from centre of gravity to the bar shouldn't have an effect.

If you are stronger than your shorter friends on bench press (or rows, OH Press) it would suggest to me that arm length isn't the issue with pull ups.

• Advertisement

You don't mention how tall is tall?

But yes in general people on the shorter (and lighter) side will have an advantage when it comes to lifting their body weight. But it does also depend a lot on the individual in question too...

It doesn't mean you can't reach a good standard though. I've seen quite a few guys well over 6ft that are excellent. Try not to compare yourself too much with others. Just improve your own level. :)

Advertisement