Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

classic mechanic cork

Options
  • 19-02-2015 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Desperately need a mechanic that knows his way around a mk5 cortina or pinto's.car turns over but won't fire.replaced points.rotor.condensor and cap.lrads are good and fuel getting thru.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

want me to come over ? 2 heads better than one...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

corktina wrote: »
    want me to come over ? 2 heads better than one...

Cheers for the offer.at the moment she's running.replaced the plugs that were less than 2 weeks old i didn't realise excess fuel could do that.but i'm not expect her to start tomorrow so be prepared!

is it auto-choke? is it working ? sounds like it may not be opening after starting

is it auto-choke? is it working ? sounds like it may not be opening after starting

The old one was auto and never worked.the one i've put on i'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

classic mechanic in cork ... if you see one, please let me know. I just would like to know how they look like (if they even exist).

• Advertisement

bugsntinas wrote: »
    The old one was auto and never worked.the one i've put on i'm not sure yet.

don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but you do know you have to set the auto choke? You press the throttle to the floor, and release it and then turn the key without touching the pedal until it fires.

don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but you do know you have to set the auto choke? You press the throttle to the floor, and release it and then turn the key without touching the pedal until it fires.

I didn't until a few years back when I saw a reply you put on efi.

maybe I should get david Attenborough to hunt for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Just came across this - was car left up for a while before trouble began ?
    Or was there any work carried out on it ?
    What plugs are you using and gap ?
    Was it making any attempt to fire at all ?
    Even if it was flooding it should fire and then 'smother' itself ?
    Did you check for spark when not starting - hold a plug lead about 6mm from the head and see if there is a spark . If yes then probably a fuel problem - unless timing is out .
    If flooding plugs should be wet (if car hasn't started ) - or very sooty if car has managed to start .

[qu
    ote="dooroy;94579978"]Just came across this - was car left up for a while before trouble began ?
    Or was there any work carried out on it ?
    What plugs are you using and gap ?
    Was it making any attempt to fire at all ?
    Even if it was flooding it should fire and then 'smother' itself ?
    Did you check for spark when not starting - hold a plug lead about 6mm from the head and see if there is a spark . If yes then probably a fuel problem - unless timing is out .
    If flooding plugs should be wet (if car hasn't started ) - or very sooty if car has managed to start .[/quote]

Never really did find the problem.changed carb and fuel points,rotor arm,condensor amd cap and plugs.a couple of times the problem re occured but shes been running for a couple of weeks now.she stalls every so often but thats it.

Is this a 1600 or 2L ?
    In fairness to them they were fairly straightforward compared to what we have today - lots of electronics/sensors etc which can be very difficult to sort .
    Do you know was the fuel pump ever changed on it - they used to fail , some completely and some intermittently .
    You say you changed the carb - if it had been idle for a while was it cleaned out before use ? ; I saw carbs which had been left up for a while having a lot of a white powdery residue in them which needed to be cleaned out before use .
    When it cuts out does it restart immediately or does it have to be turned over for a while - this could indicate fuel having to be pumped up.
    Stalling at random could be caused by a bit of dirt floating around in the float chamber - sometimes it can block a jet and cause the car to cut out. Then it moves allowing a restart until the next time .
    I also used to notice that if a car cut out suddenly it was usually ignition/HT.
    If it died slowly it was usually fuel related.
    Hard to describe but can give some indication .

• Advertisement

dooroy wrote: »
    Is this a 1600 or 2L ?
    In fairness to them they were fairly straightforward compared to what we have today - lots of electronics/sensors etc which can be very difficult to sort .
    Do you know was the fuel pump ever changed on it - they used to fail , some completely and some intermittently .
    You say you changed the carb - if it had been idle for a while was it cleaned out before use ? ; I saw carbs which had been left up for a while having a lot of a white powdery residue in them which needed to be cleaned out before use .
    When it cuts out does it restart immediately or does it have to be turned over for a while - this could indicate fuel having to be pumped up.
    Stalling at random could be caused by a bit of dirt floating around in the float chamber - sometimes it can block a jet and cause the car to cut out. Then it moves allowing a restart until the next time .
    I also used to notice that if a car cut out suddenly it was usually ignition/HT.
    If it died slowly it was usually fuel related.
    Hard to describe but can give some indication .

It's a 1.6.
    I think the carb might have sat a while but i know nothing about taking them apart so stuck it start straight on.it's not a bad one as yhe auto choke works where as our other one didn't.when it stalls it is usually as you pull up but it will restart sttaight away.shs is running so were happy enough.

Thats fair enough then .
    You could maybe turn up the idle speed a little if it only stalls as you pull up .

Will turn it up soon.she is a car with her own mind!

Advertisement