Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to get Coffee & Cake in the late-evening?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Blackfriars cafe. Open until 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How late is late? Most of the cafes that do good cake are closed after about 5.30. Earlier than that I like the Waterford Crystal cafe, nice cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭space2ground1

It's very hard to find in Waterford. I've often thought about wandering in for tea & cake somewhere at 7 or 8pm without going to a restsurant where they'll stare at you for taking up a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Costa open late and have great selection.

Definitely open until 9 on thursday and friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dzilla wrote: »
    Costa open late and have great selection.

Definitely open until 9 on thursday and friday

I looked up their website and what you say is correct for the one downtown and the one in Ardkeen. The one in the Odeon cinema is open until 21.30 all week though!

Definitely a pity more cafés are not open late like that. Nightlife shouldn't be limited to pubs and dpfff-dpfff-dpfff music...

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    I looked up their website and what you say is correct for the one downtown and the one in Ardkeen. The one in the Odeon cinema is open until 21.30 all week though!

Definitely a pity more cafés are not open late like that. Nightlife shouldn't be limited to pubs and dpfff-dpfff-dpfff music...

Agreed. I don't understand why more cafes dont open late.

I have a distant memory of my teens when we used occcasionally go to a cellar type place to listen to jazz and drink coffee in the evenings. No alcohol, not a 'dive', I was not aware of any drugs (that's not to say there was not any) and never felt unsafe. I don't recall it was 'pay in' but not sure. Seemed very cool at the time though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

looksee wrote: »
    I have a distant memory of my teens when we used occcasionally go to a cellar type place to listen to jazz and drink coffee in the evenings. No alcohol, not a 'dive', I was not aware of any drugs (that's not to say there was not any) and never felt unsafe. I don't recall it was 'pay in' but not sure. Seemed very cool at the time though!

LOL, so whereabouts in Paris did you grow up? :pac:

I'm intrigued to know where that was!

It was in the cool, bustling city of Leicester :-) in the '60s. The other thing that was cool was to go and drink coffee on a Saturday in Bruccianis. Lol, just checked on Google maps and its still there! Oh and piling into one of the few cars available to us and driving up the (new) M1 motorway to go to the nearest Services (for more coffee :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Baby4 wrote: »

and taytos... dont forget taytos now

I have a few issues with the Costa cafes in Waterford, mainly to do with the fact that all of their Sandwiches, Crisps etc are made outside of Ireland. We have plenty of crisps made in Ireland eg McDonnells, Keoghs, etc yet Costa solely stock crisps from the UK. I also bought a pre-packed sambo in there one day, it turned out to be out of date by 2 days, and I noticed it had been made in Northern Ireland.

yes I see what you mean. But no other cafes open late in around the town that i can think of so don't have local options with local produce to choose from (apart from bars like Geoffs). I am open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

It would be lovely to have a late café but maybe there is an opinion out there that there isn't a big enough market for it. There were a couple of them years ago e.g. café Luna where Burzza is now

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josieannawfd

Berfranks on the quay were opening late for a while there last year, I'm not sure if they are still doing it.

Www. berfranks.ie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Starbucks, Insomnia, Costa, cafe Nero and many others have their sambos made in NI because that's where the 2 main sambo makers are. The only other major sambo maker is Freshways and they very much target the forecourt / convenience store market.

The good news is Dawn foods and their 500 staff in Naas provide all the meats to all the sambo makers. (and all subwaysin Europe, and all domino pizza in Europe and hundreds of other places all across Europe)

Advertisement