Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What planets are visible this evening?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

So I'm looking out my (easterly facing) badroom window and I can see one very bright Planet, accompanied by another fainter Star/planet?

What am I looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Crimsonred

LordSutch wrote: »
    So I'm looking out my (easterly facing) badroom window and I can see one very bright Planet, accompanied by another fainter Star/planet?

What am I looking at?

Venus and Jupiter are in conjunction. I checked it out just now having also seen them both when I looked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Nice clear skies early this morning allowing a good view to the East of Venus, Mars and Jupiter all lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

The Catalina Comet is gonna be knocking around in a few days for the next month or so, maybe visible with naked eye, before it gets drop kicked out of our system for good.

Where to look and other stuff...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/comet-catalina-sails-into-northern-skies111120151111/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2015/11/11/comet-catalina-to-pass-by-earth-for-the-final-time/
    http://earthsky.org/space/comet-catalina-c2013-us10-november-december-january-2015-2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Yeah - I've been looking forward to this for a while.
    The Catalina Comet is gonna be knocking around in a few days for the next month or so, maybe visible with naked eye, before it gets drop kicked out of our system for good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It cleared up this evening from that storm Barney and I had clear skies and decided to set-up the telescope and night-vision scope to catch some meteors as well, and lo and behold after 15 minutes the cloud came in.

I'm seriously thinking of creating a new tv show called 'The Cloud At Night' because for the last 5 months it's just been cloudy/misty/foggy or some other odd-ball night sky problem. Sometimes you just have to throw the towel in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Agreed - apparently the Atlantic has been warmer this year than normal and that leads to more cloud.

It cleared up this evening from that storm Barney and I had clear skies and decided to set-up the telescope and night-vision scope to catch some meteors as well, and lo and behold after 15 minutes the cloud came in.

I'm seriously thinking of creating a new tv show called 'The Cloud At Night' because for the last 5 months it's just been cloudy/misty/foggy or some other odd-ball night sky problem. Sometimes you just have to throw the towel in.

No excuse Tonight B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

some really clear skies about tonight, however it is extremely cold out with windchill!!

Heres a mad yoke thats gonna be visible next year...I think (don't know) its for Hubble only though. Their was a supernova in Nov 14 that was blocked from Hubbles view by galaxy cluster MACS J1149+2223 but due to the clusters gravitational force its bending space time around it. This is called gravitational lensing and its creating four separate images of the supernova arranged in a formation known as an Einstein Cross.

Gravitational_lens-full.jpg

So in 2016 we are gonna get to see something that happened in 2014!

Lots more info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

some really clear skies about tonight, however it is extremely cold out with windchill!!

As is always the case with clear skies.

I thought last night was very clear in Dublin city centre. Clearest I've seen the night sky in some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Did anyone else go to the astronomy Ireland event last night? I went along with a friend. Very fun evening, plus we got to have a gander at Neptune before it got too cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This morning is fabulously clear, even with a certain amount of light pollution it was possible to see even tiny distant stars with the naked eye, the constellations were brilliantly lit. And I saw a shooting star! (sorry, I am not an astronomer, it is just so amazingly beautiful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Too cold....bitter cold and windy.
    Not the best red wine boiled to 101 degrees will have me in the back garden to watch the wonders of the sky unless is followed by a GP appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

If any of you lot are up early over the next few days you'll see Saturn, Venus, Mars and jupiter lined up with Saturn nearest the sun. I was just out there now and could still make out mars with the naked eye. Lovely clear morning although the wind chill sucked!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

shedweller wrote: »
    If any of you lot are up early over the next few days you'll see Saturn, Venus, Mars and jupiter lined up with Saturn nearest the sun. I was just out there now and could still make out mars with the naked eye. Lovely clear morning although the wind chill sucked!

Saw two planets alright to the west around 8 am this morning. Must check out stellarium later.

Ardent wrote: »
    Saw two planets alright to the west around 8 am this morning. Must check out stellarium later.
    It took me a few minutes to get my head in the map this morning. But then i saw mars a little above another star. It was getting bright so it was nearly washed out. Very nice to see it though. Hopefully we'll have clear skies over the next few days.

Where to look and other stuff...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/comet-catalina-sails-into-northern-skies111120151111/
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2015/11/11/comet-catalina-to-pass-by-earth-for-the-final-time/
    http://earthsky.org/space/comet-catalina-c2013-us10-november-december-january-2015-2016

The 9th to the 12th is your best chance to see this as no moon. Not much time left.

Lovely moon setting this evening. Nice clear skies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

shedweller wrote: »
    Lovely moon setting this evening. Nice clear skies too.
    Yes it was a real sliver of a new Moon in a beautiful clear sky. I saw it while stopped at traffic lights, so soon as I finish my journey, I immediately went to look for it. But wouldn't you know it the blasted clouds had rolled in. :(

• Advertisement

Darn clouds! Still, the moon will be a little higher at the same time tomorrow.
    We just need clear skies to see it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

A mate sent me an online article about the visible planets being in alignment from Jan 20th however it had quotes from 2 Aussie experts. Would I be right in guessing this is a southern hemisphere evet?

Tenger wrote: »
    A mate sent me an online article about the visible planets being in alignment from Jan 20th however it had quotes from 2 Aussie experts. Would I be right in guessing this is a southern hemisphere evet?

It's worldwide.

http://earthsky.org/science-wire/when-will-all-five-visible-planets-appear-simultaneously

Small Asteroid to Pass Close to Earth March 5
    A small asteroid that two years ago flew past Earth at a comfortable distance of about 1.3 million miles (2 million kilometers) will safely fly by our planet again in a few weeks, though this time it may be much closer.

During the upcoming March 5 flyby, asteroid 2013 TX68 could fly past Earth as far out as 9 million miles (14 million kilometers) or as close as 11,000 miles (17,000 kilometers). The variation in possible closest approach distances is due to the wide range of possible trajectories for this object, since it was tracked for only a short time after discovery.

Scientists at NASA's Center for NEO Studies (CNEOS) at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, have determined there is no possibility that this object could impact Earth during the flyby next month. But they have identified an extremely remote chance that this small asteroid could impact on Sep. 28, 2017, with odds of no more than 1-in-250-million. Flybys in 2046 and 2097 have an even lower probability of impact.

That thing could hit us in two years lol.

There's a nice thin sliver of moon in the west this evening. Should be visible around most of the country.

ISS is passing too! 19:02 for the east so its earlier for anyone in the wesht!

Savage night out!

Savage night out!

Tonight again, that's some Moon, we don't get many like this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The brightish star 48 Leonis (magnitude 5.1) was occulted by the moon at 2.21 and is about to reappear at 3.28

• Advertisement

Jupiter is closing in on the moon and should be at its closest tomorrow evening.

Advertisement