Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What planets are visible this evening?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

I'm I getting older or the Moon is more beautiful, crisp and sensual details !?
    At least yesterday and today (in the morning and in the evening) looked absolutely amazing !!

Cannot take a picture, a materialistic snapshot of the beauty but my mind is deeply impressed with the sight.

So, go on...take a jacket and get outdoor...have a look and reset yourself, forget or moment about this "messy" world with have to live in.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm I getting older or the Moon is more beautiful, crisp and sensual details !?
    At least yesterday and today (in the morning and in the evening) looked absolutely amazing !!

Cannot take a picture, a materialistic snapshot of the beauty but my mind is deeply impressed with the sight.

So, go on...take a jacket and get outdoor...have a look and reset yourself, forget or moment about this "messy" world with have to live in.

Enjoy it.

I live close to the sea, the moon and its light reflecting off the waves is an awesome sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well the Moon was stunning tonight. I believe Jupiter is situated to the left of the Moon at the moment. Very bright indeed. Also saw the Orion Nebula with my binos. Just looked like two balls of fuzziness.
    Time for a cup of tea before heading out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just stumbled upon the story that Jupiter is up in the sky tonight. All I can say is Wow. What a spectacle.

The weather is just beautifully clear for it. Yes it is cold but still it was amazing to see it sitting near a full moon.

One of the most incredible sights that I have ever witnessed in my life. I will never forget it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

a fantastic clear sky out there right now, get out and look up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Some wonderful comments above about the view of Jupiter and the Moon. Many thanks for sharing.

We had a group of cub scouts at Dunsink tonight and after a short talk we ventured over to the Grubb refractor (11.75-inch objective) which I turned towards Jupiter. It was a marvellous sight with all 4 Galilean moons visible. The kids were thrilled to see the planet. The little Astroscan we have at the Observatory also proved a hit with it lined up on the Moon. Lots of amazing questions during the evening with the group right up to date on the latest discoveries. It was inspirational to see such interest.

Heading down Pearse St later on around midnight I saw someone taking a pic of the Moon & Jupiter on their smartphone - maybe a personal shot, maybe to share online. It showed that simple celestial sights have the power to stop us in our tracks and look up in wonder.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

jfSDAS wrote: »

Lots of amazing questions during the evening with the group right up to date on the latest discoveries. It was inspirational to see such interest.

It's only gonna grow, we're stepping into the second space age, lots of cool stuff coming.

Did you ever do a Boards meet up at Dunsink???

Great idea about hosting a Boards.ie event. I'll have a look at the calendar for March and see what night may be free. I brought along some of the Meetup.com groups people the last couple of years. Will let everyone know the next couple of days what night we can fit in a visit.

John

Hi all,

Wednesday, April 13th is the only night we can fit in a visit to Dunsink Observatory for boards.ie members. The March schedule is pretty full with public nights, school visits, and Institute meetings.

I looked at the sunset/twilight times for April 13th and astronomical twilight ends just after 10:30pm Daylight Saving Time (21:30UT). We have the First Quarter Moon that night plus Jupiter just a month after opposition.

More details to follow but we'll have a talk that evening along with observing. Tea/coffee facilities are on site but we can bring along some eats 'n' treats too. Doors generally open for visits leading up to 8pm.

We'll have to limit the numbers for insurance purposes to 70 people. I can ask everyone interested in going to mail me later on next month and can set up a separate thread about the night.

John

John Flannery,
    IAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Be jaysus i happen to be off that night! Count me in!
    I suppose my kids would add to the numbers? Thats grand. More time to myself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Hi all,

Wednesday, April 13th is the only night we can fit in a visit to Dunsink Observatory for boards.ie members. The March schedule is pretty full with public nights, school visits, and Institute meetings.

I looked at the sunset/twilight times for April 13th and astronomical twilight ends just after 10:30pm Daylight Saving Time (21:30UT). We have the First Quarter Moon that night plus Jupiter just a month after opposition.

More details to follow but we'll have a talk that evening along with observing. Tea/coffee facilities are on site but we can bring along some eats 'n' treats too. Doors generally open for visits leading up to 8pm.

We'll have to limit the numbers for insurance purposes to 70 people. I can ask everyone interested in going to mail me later on next month and can set up a separate thread about the night.

John

John Flannery,
    IAS
    Nice one! All going well I'll bring someone so 68 places left. You'll make sure it's not cloudy/raining aswell??:D
    shedweller wrote: »
    I suppose my kids would add to the numbers? Thats grand. More time to myself!
    NO NO, 70 is a good lot, I can't see the Forum getting to it so their'll be lots of space.:p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hi all,

Wednesday, April 13th is the only night we can fit in a visit to Dunsink Observatory for boards.ie members. The March schedule is pretty full with public nights, school visits, and Institute meetings. ...............

John Flannery,
    IAS
    I would be interested in this, however workwise Im not sure if I am available.
    I'll know in 3 weeks, roster starting April 4th out then

Advertisement