Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 y/o wants the birds & bees talk

Options
  • 19-02-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Hey there peps, my 9 y/o boy said to me the other night he wants to know about how mammy and daddys have sex, advice please.
    I told him we would have a chat about it at the weekend, I've no problem talking to him about this but I'm not sure what appropriate level of detail I should go into.
    Also do I tell him not to talk about this to his friends ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Asked you how you have sex or asked you how babies are made?

My son hit puberty very early. He's a bright kid, so from around 8/9 he's known how babies are made, what happens to his body etc. He wanted to know the science behind pregnancy so I told him about zygotes, cell division, implantation etc. He's very matter of fact about it and there's no ''ewwwww, you do whattttt?'' with him. I was the exact opposite at his age :pac:

I suppose it really depends on your own lad and what you think he's able for!

And the rules in this house are that facts of life aren't discussed outside home. I don't know how other parents would react to my son discussing sex with their kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I suspect at that age he already knows and just wants you to confirm it and clarify the details.
    I would be open and honest and maybe buy him a book about it that is age appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

The Puberty Book is good. Quite detailed, so have a look yourself first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey peps,
    Thanks for the reply's, so yes he has asked specifically about sex.
    Gonna have a talk tomorrow with him and answer his questions, but like you say I will explain not to talk to his friends about it.

I understand that some of his friends are ready and some are not, in either case this information should not come from my son.

I'll update ye tomorrow and let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

I had the talk recently with my son, but thanks to David Attenborough, and animal planet, he understood 'mating'.

so I explained that the male passes the seed to the female, and the baby develops inside.
    I told him where the male seeds were kept, and he reckons he will have twins, as he has two seeds..haha.

you would be amazed what they learn in the yard at school...and YouTube and curiosity, are a bad combination..

I left him lead the conversation, and answered all his questions, openly and honestly...I left it open at the end knowing he can ask me anything he wants.

ps, it's fantastic he is asking rather than Google searching..:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement