Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorbike trial lesson?

• 19-02-2015 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

RHJ wrote: »

Woah, sorry to hear about the break-up! Something like this would be adrenaline-fueled - have you given yourself a chance to process everything to date before taking on something like this right-away?

That news from Kerry shook me so it did! I feel fragile at times on my bicycle like but going to try my IBT-lessons in a few months just to see what the experience would be like. Haven't felt the time was right until recently eventhough I done my theory test in May of last-year.

Do you have your theory test done? I wonder would any trainer allow you to try it without your IBT-lessons here? I know some down my way would only allow you on the road only when the IBT is done.
    I don't know if the motorbike is for me; but going to do my IBT-lessons to find out.

If you just want to do the trial without the lessons your best bet would be to contact some companies directly and see what they say. As I said above though some will defo require the IBT-lessons before allowing you on the road. Think Insurance in event something happens,

Stay Safe out there,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Woah, sorry to hear about the break-up! Something like this would be adrenaline-fueled - have you given yourself a chance to process everything to date before taking on something like this right-away?

That news from Kerry shook me so it did! I feel fragile at times on my bicycle like but going to try my IBT-lessons in a few months just to see what the experience would be like. Haven't felt the time was right until recently eventhough I done my theory test in May of last-year.

Do you have your theory test done? I wonder would any trainer allow you to try it without your IBT-lessons here? I know some down my way would only allow you on the road only when the IBT is done.
    I don't know if the motorbike is for me; but going to do my IBT-lessons to find out.

If you just want to do the trial without the lessons your best bet would be to contact some companies directly and see what they say. As I said above though some will defo require the IBT-lessons before allowing you on the road. Think Insurance in event something happens,

Stay Safe out there,
    kerry4sam

I really hope no one uses an ADI that lets people out on the road pre IBT, your learners permit isn't valid till IBT is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Yes you can take a lesson but not in a public place or on a public road as you would have no permit or insurance.

I have had a few people in your position, they have come to have a look at the bikes & to have a sit on them to see how they feel & even have a short go around the compound.

Then they can go away & make their mind up if they want to get a bike or not.

All done of course in a safe controlled off road environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You could always try the Motorcycle Taster Lesson, see here
    Have you ever thought about learning to ride a motorcycle but you weren’t sure if it was something you’d like? You can now complete a Motorcycle taster lesson without having to pass your Theory Test and get your Learner Permit. Leinster Driving Campus now offer Motorcycle taster lessons in our unique safe controlled environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I did that, bit away from you in Mayo of course, but it was a good day out and really got a feel for whether I'm able for it or not.

Be aware that they basically do a good chunk of one of the IBT modules during it. Slow riding, figure 8s, and a bit of going around their closed course. So unless you're pretty sure you're going to brick it entirely on a bike you should just go with the IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

To be honest I'd say just go for it.... license, IBT and buy a bike. Is it really not for everyone? I only started biking in my 30s but always wanted one, best thing I ever did.

I'd recommend researching beginner biking articles and videos, that will give you an insight before making any decisions on what the next step is. You'll probably notice in almost all videos how pationate people are about motorbikes, you'll see the same on this forum.

Let us know what you decide to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Just a note of caution. No learner permit no insurance.
    I recently had the misfortune of having to claim on our insurance for a school bike accident in the compound which is off the road and enclosed. First question asked was for a copy of the riders learner permit.
    If your willing to pay for damage and not claim if you hurt yourself go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

RHJ wrote: »
    Thanks everybody for your advice. I forgot to mention that I do have a learner permit for car but I also have the theory test certificate for the motorcycle, on Monday I'll get round to going into the local office to have it added to my provisional so in terms of not having a valid learner permit for a motorcycle that won't be a problem.

Also, could anybody on here make any specific recommendations as to the best place to do the category A IBT?

Also, if there is anybody on here in a similar position . Would you consider going with me so we can get the discounted rates that many places offer?

Peace out all :cool:

That's great. Imo its the way to go even for a try out lesson. We would never take someone without the correct permit now. After the crash if the rider had hurt themselves and put in a claim we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on excuse the pun :) if they had no permit.
    Good luck with your plan

Roadskill wrote: »
    Just a note of caution. No learner permit no insurance.
    I recently had the misfortune of having to claim on our insurance for a school bike accident in the compound which is off the road and enclosed. First question asked was for a copy of the riders learner permit.
    If your willing to pay for damage and not claim if you hurt yourself go for it.

Did you not know that he was not insured?

• Advertisement

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Did you not know that he was not insured?

They had the correct LP. What I meant was if they asked me for a copy of the LP I couldn't have provided it if they never had one. School bike insurance is valid only if the rider is legally allowed to ride it . I asked what if they didn't have a LP and was told no cover.
    That can open a huge can of worms if a liability claim went in.

They had the correct LP. What I meant was if they asked me for a copy of the LP I couldn't have provided it if they never had one. School bike insurance is valid only if the rider is legally allowed to ride it . I asked what if they didn't have a LP and was told no cover.
    That can open a huge can of worms if a liability claim went in.

Yes agreed, I would only give them a try on a 125cc at walking pace & not let go of it & explain that it is at their own risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

School bike insurance is valid only if the rider is legally allowed to ride it .

But they are legally allowed ride it on private land. Ridiculous from the insurance company but they'll do anything to weasel out of claims. I don't see how a complete novice holding an LP is any less likely to crash than a complete novice with no LP.

Scrap the cap!

But they are legally allowed ride it on private land. Ridiculous from the insurance company but they'll do anything to weasel out of claims. I don't see how a complete novice holding an LP is any less likely to crash than a complete novice with no LP.

If it's your land and your bike then fine. If an instructor who is a "professional" operating a business then there is liability and indemnity concerns involved also.
    I don't get involved in what others do but keep my own house in order.
    I agree with your view regarding the risk with or without a LP but you can't have insurance without one unless a company has a policy in place that allows it on private land.
    The way to look at it is if a burglar can sue for hurting themselves whilst robbing your house then we have o hope. If your out of work for 6 months and injured because of a training mishap then who compensates you?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I did my IBT in Castlebar with TJ McHale and another guy(can't remember name) both sound blokes. The first day was just spent Riding around the parking lot around the back practicing turns, stopping and other basic things.

I'd go for the IBT anyway, the bikes and safety equipment are provided and by the end of it you'll definitely know whether you want to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

I'm the same as the OP. Have my provisional already but haven't gotten on a bike yet! Would love if I could have a few minutes on a bike at all just to get a bit of a feel for it, before deciding to buy a bike/do the IBT. I am in Maynooth so I could do that trial lesson, but 100 is a lot if I was to do the IBT. Might just try to find someone with an old bike and a field. If there are any nice souls, PM me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm the same as the OP. Have my provisional already but haven't gotten on a bike yet! Would love if I could have a few minutes on a bike at all just to get a bit of a feel for it, before deciding to buy a bike/do the IBT. I am in Maynooth so I could do that trial lesson, but 100 is a lot if I was to do the IBT. Might just try to find someone with an old bike and a field. If there are any nice souls, PM me :D

Just do the IBT. I'd been up and down a back road on a bike a few times when I did it but the other chap doing it with me literally had never sat on a bike before that morning, and he was grand. Paul out in the place in maynooth is top notch and even if you're doing the A you can start on a smaller bike. I personally found the bigger bike a lot easier and safer to ride, being a more well-upholstered gent myself. It's all in your head man, go for it.

Have a look on the RSA website for a full list of IBT instructors & IBT training centres. http://www.rsa.ie/

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Give TJ McHale a call. His details are on that website. I did a lesson with him when I got my first bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Give TJ McHale a call. His details are on that website. I did a lesson with him when I got my first bike.
    Can't go wrong with Tj and John Geraghty to be honest. 450 sharing is a good price, hasn't changed in 2yrs then!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

John will do the insurance assessment too as part of it which is handy.

Advertisement