Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

paul471966 wrote: »
    I'm thinking I'm go in backwards.

cant wat for prt deu !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

Back again.don't know what happened there.so a group of hm pacers pass me on the duel carrigeway 17 mile mark.feeling ok again after the rush of people pass me.9 miles to go gota keep goin.18.19 miles rain getting heavier.checking my watch i reckon iv slowed to just under 8 min miles.I'm not sure where i am but this short steep hill hits me .I tink it was after 20 mile mark.now I'm in a completely different ball game than any run iv ever done in my life..all of a sudden i realise I'm drowned wet.pain in my knee.and a tight feeling in my calls.is it over?.keep go in i say to my self.I turn onto a down hill stretch for a few 100 year's.badly needed..then left on to the model farm road.iv heard the this rises a bit for a couple miles.but no one told me i needed a sheep's.Jesus Christ them 2 miles up to the next relay were the second longest of my life .the longest 2 were still to come.by the time I turned off the model farm road i was getting sore all over but I kept digging deep.turned down hill just following people at this stage.got to bottom of road and turned right.this was the straight into cork city.I was ent even sure what mile i was at.still running though.but I wasent sure how fast.in my last few weeks of training 3 miles seemed like nothing.but I tink i was 3 miles from the finish and that road seemed to be at least 10.I tink this was the longest part of the race.it's a blurr until I get to a narrow bridge.I look up and see a sign for 25 miles.finally some hope .on a narrow path through sum trees and I'm actually passing a few again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paul471966

Then a guy along side me says my name.I'm thinking there's no one in this race today that I know.he says it again.he nearly there he says.see the people ahead on the bridge that's the turn for home.I swear to God .I don't no where it came from .but off i went.like a bat out a he'll.knocking people out a the way.turn onto the bridge.I though I was in the Olympic final and the only thing between me and a medal was the fela in front of me.and when I passed him it was the next fella.and the roar of the crowd made it even more real.I was floating at this stage.I cud seen the finish line.Jesus Crist 3h 25 min .it's not the Olympics after all.but it's the next best thing.I pass the line.slow down.stop.bend over.I'm breathing out my ears at this stage.I straighten up to move.oh ****.my right leg won't move.I don't care.then I hear a voice.a few of the family have come up from Kerry to support me.great to c them .I can't walk.but I don't care.iv got my medal. Iv done my first marathon.bring on the next one😆😆😆😆😆.bib no 819

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Now THAT'S what I call a report!!!!

Imagine how good you'll be with more experience, proper training and a laptop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Itziger wrote: »
    Now THAT'S what I call a report!!!!

Imagine how good you'll be with more experience, proper training and a laptop!!

+1! Fantastic report! What an amazing first marathon experience!!
    Congrats!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

so a group of hm pacers pass me on the duel carrigeway

This is brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

echancrure wrote: »
    This is brilliant.:D

Well, the two lane highway is yet to be introduced to the Kingdom. Hence the confusion perhaps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    Well, the two lane highway is yet to be introduced to the Kingdom. Hence the confusion perhaps ;)

Something tells me it's been a while since you have paid us a visit, then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

... turn onto a down hill stretch for a few 100 year's.

Some sections felt like that alright (although mostly the uphill ones). Some run, great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I had marked down the Cork half marathon as a target since about April last year. I only took up running in January 2014, following the Irish Times Get Running training plan, so the half wasn't a realistic aim for me until this year. I had two main reasons for wanting to do Cork for my first half marathon - it's where I was born and went to college, and also - and more importantly - some members of my extended family have had involvement in the running of the event for a number of years. One of those people passed away in 2013 and early last year, another relative suggested that a few of us might run the half in his memory. At that stage, I had only recently done my first 5K, so stepping up to 21K in such a short time was too big a step. So I decided to wait until this year.

Fast forward 14 months and I'm standing on Victoria Road freezing my ass off in a rain poncho. I followed the training plan from Forget The Gym / Mary Jennings, which I found very suitable for me - 3 short runs a week and LSR at the weekend. I started it a few weeks early, as I had a holiday coming up which was not going to involve any running, and I wanted to leave a bit of wiggle room in case I got ill or injured along the way - as it happens, I was laid low with flu for a week and fell over and hurt the same knee twice in 3 weeks, so I think I made a good call there.

The race itself was one of the wettest and coldest but one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had. I was terrified I would start off too fast and end up in bits after 2K, as happened in my first 5K and 10K, so I took it nice and handy. Avoided most of the congestion at the meeting point with the full marathon runners as there were few enough left from the half joining the pack at that stage. Passed an old lady in a wheelchair who was out watching the race and thought about how fortunate I am to be able to run a half marathon, even at my slow pace. The relay changeover point at Victoria Road was very tight, with people all over the road. Once I got through that, and was cheered on by some people from my home town that I hadn't seen in a long time, it was on towards the South Link Road. Managed to run up the hill towards Turner's Cross without ending up in a heap at the top, and got a little bag of cola bottles from a nice old lady near the church.

Round the corner past the football ground and things got nasty - running straight into the wind and rain was tough going, and it HAD to be that exact moment when a photographer snapped me with my poncho billowing like a parachute and my gob full of jellies. it was about then I realised that I had drank too much water and it was a long way to the next portaloo!

Through Ballyphehane, past the Lough and up to Glasheen Road, where I had a few moments of nostalgia as I passed various houses where I lived or partied during my student days. Was delighted to pass the 7 mile mark and know that I was more than half-way and would manage to finish! The hill up past the credit union on to Wilton Road was nasty but I managed to run all the way up, even if I looked like I was in a slow motion film. Finally got to the relay changeover on Model Farm Road and a quick loo stop. Don't think I lost too much time as the little break did me good and I picked up the pace over the next mile or two - helped by the spectators shouting "You're going grand girl, it's all downhill from here to the Straight Road!"

On to the Straight Road and ran straight into a puddle. Squelched along happily til I got to County Hall where I felt I had very little energy left. I hadn't experimented with gels or taking on food during my long runs - simply because I hadn't felt the need - but I realise now that was a mistake. Got to the 10 mile marker and told myself to keep going, it's nearly over. All along Mardyke Walk I passed people who had to stop and stretch or who looked to have got injured along the way. Across the bridge and the poncho got thrown in a bin - vanity prevailed and I didn't want to be seen crossing the line in it.

The bit along the north quays to Patrick's Bridge was hard going as I had very little left at that stage. The guy playing the bagpipes, the friendly guards and the guy on his way home who shouted at me that I was finishing nice and strong all kept me going. On to Patrick's St and I thought "Oh my God, I've been talking about this for a year and I've actually done it! Once I got close enough to be able to read the clock, I tried to dash for the line, but realised after about 20 metres that I needed to slow down or I would have to walk across the line! Finished in 2.54 - all I wanted time-wise was to finish under 3 hours, so was happy with that.

The post-race buzz and the soreness in my legs lasted til Thursday. I will definitely be back next year, as it was such a well-organised and well-supported event. The relay looks like great fun and I think that's what I'd like to do with some family and friends next year. Looking forward to wearing my new pink Cork top at the Sonia 5K next weekend and at the Dublin Race Series Half in September. Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Preparation: Training done, it was time to rest and feed. Everything was going to plan. I ate the same as I did before each long run etc. clothes, gels, race belt etc. all laid out. I even found my porridge was easier to digest if I left it soaking overnight, so that was the last thing I did before I went to bed. I then spent 7 hours staring at the ceiling before getting up[ at 5am with 0 hours sleep wondering if I should back out or at least run it as a training run and go to Waterford at the end of the month instead. I suppose I'd built it up too much in my head. I had set a goal on running Dublin last year, but an injury ended that goal prematurely, so a home town debut it was to be. Anyway, many coffees later, breakfast ate and pre race prep done, I headed off into town accompanied by my own personal cheerleaders!

I had decided to run this with a friend of mine who had one marathon under his belt, but no local knowledge with the arrangement that we'd try to stick together until at least half way, and if one of us felt better than the other they were take off. I placed us just in front off the 4 hour pacers, planning on finish a few minutes ahead of them, or dropping in with them if things were starting to fall apart later on.

Miles 1-7: 8:54, 8:58, 8:41, 8:43, 8:50; 8:56; 8:50

Started off easy as planned, cheered off by the family. I had planned to take gels after an hour then every 30 minutes, but due to the lack of sleep I decided to take one just before the off and then every 30 minus.We had to pick it up once or twice to get around groups of slower runners on the Grand Parade and South Mall. Cheerleaders there again on Merchants Quay, and we found a comfortable pace going down by the Opera House - maybe too comfortable because we were passed by the 4 hour pacers. With rectified that quickly and off into Blackpool, back down into town again and the gang were there on Patrick's Quay. Off down Horgan's quay. I was reeled in a couple of times by my running mate (which I was glad of later), and were running very steady, no great effort and the weather wasn't bothering me. We were in great form, chatting away. I wasn't until miles 6 and 7 that I began to feel anything really - the slight drag going up the lower road and Tivoli dual carriageway meant having to be careful not to drop the pace too much- mile 6 was one of the slowest so we picked it up slightly and off into the tunnel we went

Miles 8-12 9:07; 8:52; 9:03; 8:48; 8:56

Miles 8 and 9 were a mixed bag - down into the tunnel was great but I knew we had two climbs ahead of us in quick succession. The legs felt fresh enough coming out of the tunnel, but we felt it on the ramp up off the South Ring. Onwards down into Mahon. Threw a High 5 zero into the water at the Mahon Point water stop. We had an unscheduled P(it) stop just around the corner form the CSO and headed on up to the Castle. Things were going well and to be honest we Miles 7 to 12 flew past, even with the two hills. We passed through the 2nd Relay changeover. I was getting great buzz from these changeover points and found myself looking forward to the next one - I got a great lift from them. I think I was pretty much soaked through at this point, but I didn't really bother me. The path from the Castle to the footbridge loomed large in the distance though, but as we rounded the corner through the carpark I was pleased to find the wind wasn't as bad as I had expected and we ploughed on.

Miles 13 - 20 9:00; 8:53; 8:48; 8:36; 8:24; 8:28; 8:25; 8:36
    The further down the path we got the worse the wind got. I think it was when we turned the corner just before the halfway point that we faced the strongest headwind. The company was great though and we hit the halfway split in 1:58:14 so well on course for sub 4. Familiar territory helped here because I knew we only had to get as far as the footbridge and we'd be out of the headwind, which we were. Running along the path towards the Park was great - I still didn't feel like I was in a race though. A slight twinge in my right ITB and upper hamstring quickly reminded I had just run 14 miles. The road started to feel a bit long, and nice and all as it was, I couldn't wait to get up onto the Marina. The gels were doing their job and I wasn't feeling tired yet. I looked at the friend and waved me on, so I left him at Park end of Centre Park Road and picked it up a bit. Just in time too. Tremendous support from the Relay changeover point. It was here I started to her people calling my name and it felt great! I was spotted by some relay runners I knew who gave me a big cheer, and I knew I'd made the right decision to kick off. Best of all, as I turned onto Albert Street, I spotted my gang sheltering by the Elysian. My youngest ran across to high 5 me and now I was totally buzzing. Good job too. Off down the South Link and then - ah jaysus who put that there - that off ramp was a shock to system. Big cheers and name calling at Turners Cross. Fair play to the kids and others standing out in the rain with box of sweets and jaffa cakes. It must have been cols for them. The Kinsale Road towards Woodies was horrible. Driving wind and rain ensured that whatever bits of me may have been dry were now soaking wet. I was glad to turn the corner onto Tramore Road. The increased pace hadn't affected my mood (although in any photos I've seen I look miserable), I felt god and had settled into a decent rhythm. I hit the Lough - great Brass Band and more support and was conscious that 20 miles was ahead - would I hit the wall? I think my Garmin was about 0.3 miles ahead by this stage

Miles 21 to Finish 8:22; 8:20; 7:50; 8:09; 8:08; 7:59; (0.61 miles in 4:52 - 7:58 pace)
    Hartlands Avenue felt tough, and I took full advantage of the downhill on the Glasheen Road to both recover and make some time. I was starting to feel the effect by now but just pushed on. The slower halfers and relayers didn't bother me like some - It felt great to be passing so many people to be honest. Up to the dreaded Model Farm Road. I knew That if I made it up to the top of the rise here that it was all plain sailing, so I tried not the slow down to much , but the pace dip. I hit mile 22 (by my watch) in 3:12:30 and I knew I'd make sub 4. I had started on the downhill section and through the relay point again knowing that I could ease off and still do it. Time for the fastest mile down past the tennis village. Nothing could go wrong now. I rounded the corner on to the straight road to big cheers from a Work colleague. I had been dreading the straight road, but today I didn't care. I was really tiring now, so I decided to end it faster and just tried to run as fast as I could (3 miles left in x minutes will give a time of - ah f*** it I'll just take another gel and peg it). This was all practiced many times, but those last 3 miles felt longer than the first 10. Past the piper and onto the Quays. I think my face was contorted in pain but I was smiling on the inside. Shouts and cheers from the crowd " Great running HBS, Good work". Over Patricks Bridge. I'm home. There's the gang cheering over by Debenhams. I raised my hand in triumph to cross the line in 3:49:27 chip, 3:50:27 gun with a second half split of 1:51:14. I thought I'd look awesome. In reality, I looked like an extra from the walking dead, holding the hands up for an awkwardly long time.. I was buzzing. I saw the length of physio queue and said nah, and headed down to the family. I met a couple of them halfway. I was just in time to see the buddy come in just under 4 hours, so a pretty good day was had by all.

I'm pretty much on a high since then, although work for the last two days has tempered that a bit. Dublin is my next challenge. Sub 3:40? Should I aim higher? I suppose we'll see how the training goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Here's a link to my race report if anyone is interested :)

Link

Very well done HBS - a seven minute negative split is some going on that course with most of the weather and the hills in the second half! I think you can safely aim to go a good bit lower next time out.

quinlivan wrote: »

Link

Great report. You need to change your blog title, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Link

You should be able to knock a nice bit off that in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

rom wrote: »
    You should be able to knock a nice bit off that in Berlin.

Thats the plan! I'm aiming to knock 25 minutes off! :eek:Ambitious I know but feic it, I may aswell set the bar high. The scarier the goal, the harder I know I'll train

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Thats the plan! I'm aiming to knock 25 minutes off! :eek:Ambitious I know but feic it, I may aswell set the bar high. The scarier the goal, the harder I know I'll train

No reason why not.

How did you get on yourself, rom? Weren't you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Did I read an article about yourself in one of the papers recently? The name rang a bell!

I noticed the clean up after the marathon was better this year, the small road linking Model Farm Rd & the Straight Rd is one of my regular routes & was littered with discarded gels/bottles for months last year but just a few visible this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Great report. You need to change your blog title, though. :)

Pot calling Kettle Black :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Half Marathon
    Bib No.|Username|PB|Goal|Result
    |viperlogic|1:23:33|1:22:59|1:22:55
    |unirunner2|1:31:01|1:29:59|
    |annapr|2:01:37|1:59:59|
    |raddo|1:52:14|1:49:59|
    |averagejoe123|1:37:20|1:29:59|1.28.40
    |paulers06|1:49:26|1:47:59|1:47:49|
    |sixpack's little hat|1:22:26|1:19:59|
    |Fieldsman||2:10:xx|

That was rough but I'm delighted with the run. Big thanks to the 1.30 pacers.

Your welcome ;)
    Great run!

Yes it certainly was rough out there. I was frozen at the end. trying to get my fingers into the sleeve of my jacket proved difficult!

Ambitious, yes, but also perfectly possible. I took 27 minutes off my PB in my fifth marathon, from 3:55 to 3:28. Good luck!

Advertisement