Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭quinlivan

Signed up for the Full today after running the Full in Tralee yesterday :)

Glutton for punishment

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

The runners I have being wearing have caused a nasty blister on my heel just wondering would it be too late to break in a new pair

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Loads of time left to break in a new pair of shoes.

I always wear new runners around the house at the start to help break them in faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Airtel31 wrote: »
    The runners I have being wearing have caused a nasty blister on my heel just wondering would it be too late to break in a new pair

Definitely plenty time. Bought new runners around this time last year and they were spot on day of the marathon..

I'd advise to break them in on the shorter midweek runs for at least a month.. I wore mine on a long run too early and my toes were broke up.

I see a man called Rob doing a blog on his training for the CCM I have to agree with everything he said very good article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I completed my first 20 mile run on Saturday so I decided to bite the bullet and sign up for CCM. So now I'm training for the starting line and hoping for the best!

After doing 20 miles I would imagine your almost there just keep the milage up

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of doing this - the price goes up on the 1st April so register over the next few days and save yourself a few bob.

Signed up for the half yesterday. Now it's official better start being more disciplined with training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Spotted that the other day so signed up for the full last night. Roll on June!

With the weather being so good hope to get some decent runs this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Airtel31 wrote: »
    With the weather being so good hope to get some decent runs this week

savage weather alright, I even managed to get a bit of sun burn on the forehead on the LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

I'm a Cork man, in fact a real Cork man, a northsider ;-) Ran the Cork marathon twice (both poor runs 2013 nearly finished me- see blog. I ran with my buddy amcgee. We both had a tough day), ran the half marathon twice (good race) and took part in the relay. Don't like the Cork marathon at all, really needs a revamp and most importantly needs to be moved to March/ April. .

However I won't be involved this year but will as usual head down to watch it. Acting as a mentor to school kids who are doing the youth relay.

That said best of luck to all those running, especially those from out of Cork. Have a good weekend down here and enjoy the beer and food. Avoid the rip hotel prices tho, plenty of good B and B's here

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

This would be my 'home/local' marathon. Really hope I'll be in shape for it next year.

Good luck to all with the training - looking forward to reading your reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

cmickdaly wrote: »
    Don't like the Cork marathon at all, really needs a revamp and most importantly needs to be moved to March/ April. .

I think it would be tricky to move the marathon, there's a lot of competition in the UK and Ireland in March/April already. Obviously the heat you can get in June isn't ideal though.

What else do you think needs to be changed? The route is good IMO and the race promotion seems much better this year with the examiner on board

I think it would be tricky to move the marathon, there's a lot of competition in the UK and Ireland in March/April already. Obviously the heat you can get in June isn't ideal though.

What else do you think needs to be changed? The route is good IMO and the race promotion seems much better this year with the examiner on board

The race route needs a bit of a revamp (the pull from the tunnel to Mahon is not good) and the promotion would need to improve. I am all for having a local marathon but numbers dropped badly last year. The time of year is definitely a problem for a lot of runners. March or April would be a good time of year, I wouldn't worry about competition from other races, we should be good enough to hold our own. Getting under 1000 for the marathon is underachieving. Also the price entry is very steep especially the late entry fee of 85 euro.

Nevertheless all the best to those running it.

and the promotion would need to improve

To be fair The Examiner as sponsor is a big boost they're pushing it a lot more with articles on their site and Facebook 2 or 3 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

To be fair The Examiner as sponsor is a big boost they're pushing it a lot more with articles on their site and Facebook 2 or 3 days a week.

A bit late for full marathon training though? At this stage they'll only attract relay and half-mara runners. Should they not push the advertising from a long way out to give people the chance to commit to a full training plan.

donglen wrote: »
    A bit late for full marathon training though? At this stage they'll only attract relay and half-mara runners. Should they not push the advertising from a long way out to give people the chance to commit to a full training plan.

The Examiner was only officially announced as sponsor 5/6 weeks ago so they couldn't have publicised it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

The Examiner was only officially announced as sponsor 5/6 weeks ago so they couldn't have publicised it before then.

That explains it then. Hopefully they help get the numbers up.

The examiner getting involved is definitely a good thing and maybe it will get more numbers as a result, I hope there signed on for next year where you will probably see the real benefit and maybe get there marketing dept fully behind it

• Advertisement

Haven't done many long runs this year compared to last year but have being doing a few nice climbs on every run will this be of benefit will definitely get a few long run over the next few weeks just looking to get through the full

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The race route needs a bit of a revamp (the pull from the tunnel to Mahon is not good)

I can't really see what the problem is. It's a bit of a drag, alright, but it's not exactly a major hill.

The fact that the toughest climb of the entire race comes at mile 8 when everyone still has fresh enough legs makes this one of the easier marathons, it's definitely easier than Dublin.

I can't really see what the problem is. It's a bit of a drag, alright, but it's not exactly a major hill.

The fact that the toughest climb of the entire race comes at mile 8 when everyone still has fresh enough legs makes this one of the easier marathons, it's definitely easier than Dublin.

We will have to disagree there so !!!! Running up Model Farm rd at 21 to 22 and then downhill onto mile 23 is far from easy. Defo prefer Dublin as a marathon, not as a city mind you, Cork is tops there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

Rotterdam claims to be the world's fastest course, and it is pretty flat, but comparing the Garmin profiles shows approx. 450ft elevation change for both - I think Dublin is about 650ft.

The hills in Cork nearer the end are short and sharp, but most of it is very flat. Weather would always be much more of a factor than the course difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

aero2k wrote: »
    Rotterdam claims to be the world's fastest course, and it is pretty flat, but comparing the Garmin profiles shows approx. 450ft elevation change for both - I think Dublin is about 650ft.

The hills in Cork nearer the end are short and sharp, but most of it is very flat. Weather would always be much more of a factor than the course difficulty.

I think Dublin is tougher in terms of hills etc, and certainly the hill of death on mile 21 in Dublin is worse than anything in Cork. The main reason why Cork is a tough marathon is invariable down to the weather, can be very hot and this makes its tougher to get round. if you ran both races on the same day in same conditions, i would have to say Dublin is tougher, Limerick is probably the easiest of the 3 marathons.
    A common feature of running down the long mile road is seeing marathon runners in on ground suffering badly from heat and exhaustion, something similar happened in Dublin this year due to the unusual humid temperature. People were falling all over the place, worst i have seen.
    Dublin is the pinnacle though for any one running marathons in ireland. Would love Cork to become one of the bigs ones, but unfortunately it most likely wont

I sense that the organisers are more interested in chasing the easy money in attracting relay runners. I have never been a fan of the relay while a full marathon is going on out on the same course at the same time.

It's a pity they have it on a bank holiday Monday, once again the organisers are more concerned about money (not disrupting shops etc) than the actual runners because it would have made a lot more sense to have it on the Sunday and give the runners the bank holiday Monday to recover. I know Cork isn't alone on this one,but if they thought outside of the box they might attract some more entrants.

The Waterford Viking marathon for example is on a Saturday morning...how ideal is that :) OK, it's on later in June and could be even warmer :(

With that said I am considering running the Cork marathon this year for the first time, haven't decided yet but training like a mad eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

I do agree with you in terms of the relay, however for people doing the marathon , the relay sections which tend to have a lot of support, tends o help you on its way.

the arguments on Cork staging the marathon on a bank holiday monday in June have being going on for years..and no doubt go on for another few year or until the numbers in the marathon dont justify having one!!
    Dublin is on a monday.
    maybe cork should think outside the norm and have a marathon at nighttime or after 5pm etc.

something different and just a marathon

amcgee wrote: »

maybe cork should think outside the norm and have a marathon at nighttime or after 5pm etc.

something different and just a marathon

that's definitely different, and it might suit some runners who would prefer a good nights sleep and no rush getting the right food into you but the authorities would have to enforce a strict time limit on the event.

From my own experience if I ran a marathon that late I know I wouldn't be able to sleep that night, even with pints on board :D

However most runners are used to morning running, especially the long slow/Sunday runs which tend to be in the mornings.

I think Waterford have it right, Saturday morning is the job...now if only they can get the distance correct :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I think Waterford have it right, Saturday morning is the job...now if only they can get the distance correct :rolleyes:

Too long in 2013 and too short in 2014. Maybe its the Goldilocks thing where this year it will be juuuuust right :D

On a more serious note can anyone who's run CCM before give me an idea how much of an effect the Jack Lynch Tunnel has on GPS accuracy? I know its far from an exact science anyway but I can only imagine the tunnel will make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

dintbo wrote: »
    On a more serious note can anyone who's run CCM before give me an idea how much of an effect the Jack Lynch Tunnel has on GPS accuracy? I know its far from an exact science anyway but I can only imagine the tunnel will make a difference.

None on distance, only instant pace may be affected (depending on watch) while in the tunnel

Advertisement