Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

viperlogic wrote: »
    None on distance, only instant pace may be affected (depending on watch) while in the tunnel

Cheers viperlogic. That's good news so as I never use instant pace anyway (forerunner 220 btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Here is a plot for CCM 2013 from a Garmin 910

PS, don't forget to take the racing line in the tunnel, everyone seems to hug the wall! The same for the city link section to turners cross, everyone tends to stick to one side.

345571.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Would love to see this moved to March/April. It would be my home marathon too but wouldn't contemplate running it in June - the heat kills me

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I was doing really well with my training for this as a first marathon but my heel started hurting last week and it didn't heal after a few days rest as I had hoped. Will be really disappointed to have to give up on running it if I don't recover soon. I think I'm too much of a wimp to run 26.2 miles in pain!

I was doing really well with my training for this as a first marathon but my heel started hurting last week and it didn't heal after a few days rest as I had hoped. Will be really disappointed to have to give up on running it if I don't recover soon. I think I'm too much of a wimp to run 26.2 miles in pain!

Get it checked out. I go monthly to physio for a checkup/rub-down, even if nothing is wrong. They can find a niggle before it turns into an injury. Very worth while investment. And on that note, I need to book my next session!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

There is still time to get it checked out and be able to complete the marathon

I think the Bank holiday weekend is definalty the best Idea but move to the Sunday people will stay and enjoy the city and have the Monday to travel home as it is we actually go home on the Tuesday, it will get more coverage especially with the Mini marathon on in Dublin on the Monday

viperlogic wrote: »
    Get it checked out. I go monthly to physio for a checkup/rub-down, even if nothing is wrong. They can find a niggle before it turns into an injury. Very worth while investment. And on that note, I need to book my next session!
    Airtel31 wrote: »
    There is still time to get it checked out and be able to complete the marathon

Thanks for the replies. I sort of assumed that there wouldn't be anything that could be done for heel pain and didn't want to go to the bother of an appointment just to be told to rest and let it heel. I might give someone a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Thanks for the replies. I sort of assumed that there wouldn't be anything that could be done for heel pain and didn't want to go to the bother of an appointment just to be told to rest and let it heel. I might give someone a try though.

In my training for the Dublin marathon last year , my training was going great until i got out of bed one morning i i couldn't walk due to a heel problem(i rang 10 miles the night before hand without any problems!), I went to the physio straight away and i was out for 3 weeks. I went to physio 4 times in a week and it was tough, but after 3 weeks i was ok, I did cycle during those 3 weeks as a method of keeping up the fitness. I did ok in the marathon, not as good as i hoped but not too bad,
    You still have time, but if it is a Planter Fascitis , then you may stuggle, if is just a sore heel then , it may just need physio and a message, tight calf muscles etc can lead to issues with heel
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

dintbo wrote: »
    On a more serious note can anyone who's run CCM before give me an idea how much of an effect the Jack Lynch Tunnel has on GPS accuracy? I know its far from an exact science anyway but I can only imagine the tunnel will make a difference.

Make sure to turn off auto-pause, then your time will be right when you pass the mile markers. Distance goes a bit mad in the tunnel, but it catches up pretty soon after you come out.

For the people worrying about the relay, I've run Edinburgh twice, Cork twice and this year's Rotterdam which all have relays, and having another race going on at the same time didn't affect my race at all other than increasing the support at certain places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

go to physio it and make sure you go to one who is recommended by at least two people so you get get a quack masquerading as a physiotherapist and make sure they are members of the Irish chartered association of physiotherapists. cost is around 50 quid but is usually well worth it

best of luck

go to physio it and make sure you go to one who is recommended by at least two people so you dont get a quack masquerading as a physiotherapist (homeopaths chiropractors and bio energy healers) and make sure they are members of the Irish chartered association of physiotherapists. cost is around 50 quid but is usually well worth it

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Cork will be my first ever marathon, really looking forward to it. Training the last 8 months has been very up and down, never did road running to any extent before so it's been a shock to the system to say the least. Had a kidney removed and numerous injuries but the last two months has been great training wise and I enjoy the heat so running in that will be a lot more comfortable for me.

I can't bloody wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

I think the novelty of running through the tunnel has gone.

Plus it's a slog from the middle up to Mahon Point.

Tried to think of an alternative route below to shake things up a bit.

Start/Finish on Grand Parade.
    Down South Mall and around as usual.
    Cross the Christy Ring Bridge and do the Blackpool section as normal.
    Coming back from blackpool go down MacCurtain st and down to a turnabout at the Tivoli roundabout.

Back in through Horgans Quay, through Victoria Road and down to Blackrock Castle via the Blackrock Road.

Complete the Walkway section back into the Marina and go down Monaghan Road and pass the ESB building by the Elysian.

The route would be the same from here down through the Mardyke but the finish would be through Washington St onto the Grand Parade.

This would be circa 26 miles using a crude gmap pedometer measurement.

valoren wrote: »
    I think the novelty of running through the tunnel has gone.

I love it each time, esp the aul sing song and chants inside there

jamesbere wrote: »
    Cork will be my first ever marathon, really looking forward to it. Training the last 8 months has been very up and down, never did road running to any extent before so it's been a shock to the system to say the least. Had a kidney removed and numerous injuries but the last two months has been great training wise and I enjoy the heat so running in that will be a lot more comfortable for me.

I can't bloody wait. :D

Fair play to you and I hope you enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

The tunnel was a godsend last year, lovely cool escape from the heat battering down on ya. Was funny to see the communal sight of relief when we reached it.

The tunnel was a godsend last year, lovely cool escape from the heat battering down on ya. Was funny to see the communal sight of relief when we reached it.

What did you think of the pull out of the tunnel and up to Mahon? I found that took a lot out of the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

cmickdaly wrote: »
    What did you think of the pull out of the tunnel and up to Mahon? I found that took a lot out of the legs.

Yeah it was a tough slog alright , especially one point which was gradual uphill .. I went into it with an injury so everything seemed tough on the legs I guess.

Up to last week I had only gone 10 miles in training doing plenty of 5 and 6 with hill work in these runs, last Sunday I did a very comfortable 12 and felt great, I followed this up with a fast 3 mile Monday, a half marathon on Wednesday which a work event around Connemara played 5 side Thursday a fast 5 on Friday, I went out this morning to try 15 miles I lasted 5 I had nothing left I'm following a 12 week program I'm doing the full for the 3rd time any advice please I thinking maybe a bit of swimming

• Advertisement

Up to last week I had only gone 10 miles in training doing plenty of 5 and 6 with hill work in these runs, last Sunday I did a very comfortable 12 and felt great, I followed this up with a fast 3 mile Monday, a half marathon on Wednesday which a work event around Connemara played 5 side Thursday a fast 5 on Friday, I went out this morning to try 15 miles I lasted 5 I had nothing left I'm following a 12 week program I'm doing the full for the 3rd time any advice please I thinking maybe a bit of swimming

is that the only training you have done?

cmickdaly wrote: »
    is that the only training you have done?
    I've always been running just not big miles I've been training for the last 7 weeks I've the 10 mile twice, running 5 days a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I've always been running just not big miles I've been training for the last 7 weeks I've the 10 mile twice, running 5 days a week

You want to get a couple of runs of 18-20 miles into your legs at least or your in for a world full of pain come race day.

Ok to be honest i'd be concerned. You may struggle to finish it. Perhaps do the half marathon and then train properly for a race like the Dublin marathon. Remember you will be on your feet for at least 3 hours.

tang1 wrote: »
    You want to get a couple of runs of 18-20 miles into your legs at least or your in for a world full of pain come race day.

That's the plan for the next two weekends possible even 3 also being mindful of how close the marathon is now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What does the 12 week plan say?

Murph_D wrote: »
    What does the 12 week plan say?

The 12 week plan mainly works on the concept of time on the road instead of mileage I think on reflection to survive the marathon I'm going to stick with the plan during the week go with mileage at the weekend ie 18 to 20 the next 2 weekends and maybe 15 the following weekend with nice 5 to 6 miles leading up to the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The 12 week plan mainly works on the concept of time on the road instead of mileage I think on reflection to survive the marathon I'm going to stick with the plan during the week go with mileage at the weekend ie 18 to 20 the next 2 weekends and maybe 15 the following weekend with nice 5 to 6 miles leading up to the marathon

I'd stick with the plan really if you want to maximise your chances of making it to the start line. If you suddenly ramp up the total you risk burnout and injury. Sounds like the HM suggestion is the best (they are pretty good about letting you downgrade in my experience - got injured myself by overdoing it a couple of years ago and decided to do the half, although never even made that In the end).

You haven't been specific about your base mileage but upping it by more than 10% per week on average is asking for trouble according to many experts.

Good luck with it whatever you decide. Looking forward to the day myself now.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'd stick with the plan really if you want to maximise your chances of making it to the start line. If you suddenly ramp up the total you risk burnout and injury. Sounds like the HM suggestion is the best (they are pretty good about letting you downgrade in my experience - got injured myself by overdoing it a couple of years ago and decided to do the half, although never even made that In the end).

You haven't been specific about your base mileage but upping it by more than 10% per week on average is asking for trouble according to many experts.

Good luck with it whatever you decide. Looking forward to the day myself now.
    Thanks for the advice my heart is set on the full the plan says 2hrs 30 mins at the weekend and the following weekend so we will see what mileage we get it should be around 16 to 17 miles anyway all going well despite this blip I'm looking forward to it as well

• Advertisement

Just wanted to pop back in to say thanks to those who advised me to get some professional advice about my heel pain. I am now pain free and training again! Don't know why I didn't just go see someone immediately but it can be hard to know what is an injury and what just needs a few days rest! It's all still a learning curve for me I guess.

I managed a very slow (but enjoyable) 20 miles on Saturday and the recovery hasn't been nearly as tough as the first 20 miler a few weeks back. Really need to stay focused now and watch my diet and hydration too!

Advertisement