Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I was doing really well with my training for this as a first marathon but my heel started hurting last week and it didn't heal after a few days rest as I had hoped. Will be really disappointed to have to give up on running it if I don't recover soon. I think I'm too much of a wimp to run 26.2 miles in pain!
    viperlogic wrote: »
    Get it checked out. I go monthly to physio for a checkup/rub-down, even if nothing is wrong. They can find a niggle before it turns into an injury. Very worth while investment. And on that note, I need to book my next session!
    Just wanted to pop back in to say thanks to those who advised me to get some professional advice about my heel pain. I am now pain free and training again! Don't know why I didn't just go see someone immediately but it can be hard to know what is an injury and what just needs a few days rest! It's all still a learning curve for me I guess.

I managed a very slow (but enjoyable) 20 miles on Saturday and the recovery hasn't been nearly as tough as the first 20 miler a few weeks back. Really need to stay focused now and watch my diet and hydration too!

Glad to hear you got sorted. Only 5 weeks to go, eeeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Another good training run this evening, limerick half marathon and one more long run to go and we're all set.

Another plus, that problem with my left knee seems to be easing off aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just a reminder to those putting it on the long finger (like me) that the entry price for the marathon goes up after today.
    It's a saucy enough price in fairness but seeing as it's a local marathon I'm going to give it a go, haven't run Cork before.

It was a late decision this year so a few of us are cutting taper and throwing in some long runs instead, could be risky but I've found in previous marathons the 3 week taper or even 2 week is just too long.

Some donkey work ahead, a nice 23 miles this Sunday with a 20 the following and another 23 after that. If I get through these few weeks unscathed I'll be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Right - I'm in. The 4 week training plan starts this weekend.

Right - I'm in. The 4 week training plan starts this weekend.

that's the spirit ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Just getting ready to go on my long run looking forward to it the program says 2 and half going to see how far I'm going to get hopefully around the 16 mile of so I'm going to push out another 2 miles on top of this depending on how I feel

Got the 18 mile in felt had another bit left but didn't want to push it wonder would it be to late to get the 20 in next week any thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

probably a good idea as long as you go slow. maybe aim for time on your feet rather than distance, say run for a bit over 3hours. the body responds to exertion / time on the feet rather than mileage. that said if you feel in pain pull back, maybe run a 10 mile loop X 2

you are doing well.

what's the plan for the marathon time wise?

cmickdaly wrote: »
    probably a good idea as long as you go slow. maybe aim for time on your feet rather than distance, say run for a bit over 3hours. the body responds to exertion / time on the feet rather than mileage. that said if you feel in pain pull back, maybe run a 10 mile loop X 2

you are doing well.

what's the plan for the marathon time wise?

I'm just looking to finish at this stage but was thinking maybe try and stay with 415 pacers and get in before 4.30 lads

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

Hi all, I have two questions really
    I completed the Limerick marathon yesterday and I was wondering for those who have done both how does cork compare to Limerick in terms of hills ?.. Limerick was far hiller than I expected. I crashed badly in the later miles , then again I went out far too fast.
    The second question . What kind of training/plan should I do in the next 4 weeks to be ready? I normally stick to long training plans of 16 weeks or more so running a marathon in such a short space of time is new to me. I run under 3.30 for a marathon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

gudpony wrote: »
    I completed the Limerick marathon yesterday and I was wondering for those who have done both how does cork compare to Limerick in terms of hills ?.. Limerick was far hiller than I expected. I crashed badly in the later miles , then again I went out far too fast.
    The second question . What kind of training/plan should I do in the next 4 weeks to be ready? I normally stick to long training plans of 16 weeks or more so running a marathon in such a short space of time is new to me. I run under 3.30 for a marathon

All you can hope to do is be recovered and fresh ...there's little training plan can do for you in 4 weeks to give u a boost in fitness but you may have gained some from the first marathon attempt...
    I would take off at least 3 days after the marathon to give your legs time to recover. Remember it's not just the leg muscles that need to recover, bones and tendons will also be tender..
    Start back with very easy running...

Week 2 build up mileage again very easy running.

Week 3 I would add in some light strides to help with recovery along with a 10-13 mile easy run..

Final week some easy running again with strides to keep everything firing and fresh...

4 weeks would be the minimum recommended rest time before running another marathon so you don't want to hamper your recovery by trying to train to hard...

Finally don't expect to go faster in the second attempt...marathon can take a lot out of the body, and you need ample time to recover and build up again through another training cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

P&D has a 4 week back to back marathon training schedule (although they generally don't recommend this as a practice!) Might be worth taking a look.

I have done both and found Cork easier. Also there is much better support out on the Cork one and also no boring out and back sections. Cork wins all round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Hal Higdon has some advice and a 4 week training plan here:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons-Training-Program

Giving some consideration to doing this myself. Note the price jumps from €75 to €85 at midnight on Thursday/Friday.

Thanks For the Replies. The 4 week hal higdon looks doable thanks polaris68, I will probably take a few days off too on cona's advice. Feeling the stiffness in my legs today , dam that delayed reaction!

I would love to do cork,. I think if I stick to the 3.30 pacer I will get around comfortably.. I went out at a 3.20 pace in limerick which was idiotic , I had to walk a few times in the closing miles. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Thanks For the Replies. The 4 week hal higdon looks doable thanks polaris68, I will probably take a few days off too on cona's advice. Feeling the stiffness in my legs today , dam that delayed reaction!

I would love to do cork,. I think if I stick to the 3.30 pacer I will get around comfortably.. I went out at a 3.20 pace in limerick which was idiotic , I had to walk a few times in the closing miles. :mad:

I have done both cork and Limerick, personally i found Limerick slightly easier, but mostly because Cork was run on a hot day. oboviously running two marathons that close apart all depends on your fitness and so on, good luck with it, i though about doing the same last year but didn't. the only recommendation probably would be run cork slower
    2 marathons in such a short timeframe is a tough ask for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

amcgee wrote: »
    I have done both cork and Limerick, personally i found Limerick slightly easier, but mostly because Cork was run on a hot day. oboviously running two marathons that close apart all depends on your fitness and so on, good luck with it, i though about doing the same last year but didn't. the only recommendation probably would be run cork slower
    2 marathons in such a short timeframe is a tough ask for most people

Would have to agree with this. If you gave limerick your all then you will be tired for cork. You will only get the effects a month it 6 weeks after Cork. Just after doing London and I was going to pace the half at 1:45 but I need to recover. I week off, 1 week with 40mins at 9:20 pace every second day. Then back to easy pace running. Prob be a month before I am running MP again. Everyone is different but unless u have done loads if marathons doing them close together can be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

There's a few of us coming down from Limerick for the half. On the website they recommend avoiding coming into City Centre for parking.
    Where is the best place to park for easy access into and out of the city ? TIA.

There's a few of us coming down from Limerick for the half. On the website they recommend avoiding coming into City Centre for parking.

Plenty parking in Blackpool which is only 2K from start/finish line

I would suggest parking in the Q-Park on Carrolls Quay which is 2 mins from the finish line on Patrick street (try google). Obviously you would have to pay for it, but you should be able to access it if your there before the marathon starting and its on the road back to Limerick (Leitrim St) so would make for an easy getaway. There is also on street parking at the back of it, but this wouldnt be guaranteed...

• Advertisement

wow, some great advice from the organisers there. They tell you avoid parking in the city while offering no alternatives, bunch of geniuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Cheers lads....
    viperlogic wrote: »
    Plenty parking in Blackpool which is only 2K from start/finish line

I never thought of parking here. I'll bounce that one off the lads.
    Cona wrote: »
    I would suggest parking in the Q-Park on Carrolls Quay which is 2 mins from the finish line on Patrick street (try google). Obviously you would have to pay for it, but you should be able to access it if your there before the marathon starting and its on the road back to Limerick (Leitrim St) so would make for an easy getaway. There is also on street parking at the back of it, but this wouldnt be guaranteed...

Is this Car Park not on the route itself ? I'd hate to be stuck waiting to get out of here
    wow, some great advice from the organisers there. They tell you avoid parking in the city while offering no alternatives, bunch of geniuses.

In fairness it's a better website than most .. namely the GLR..!!

Is this Car Park not on the route itself ? I'd hate to be stuck waiting to get out of here

The entrance to it is at the 3-4 mile mark so everyone should be well passed by the time you are finished. The exit for the car park is out the back side as well (not on the marathon route) so the roads would be open...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am gonna leave it for this year and take a few weeks off instead .. I will look to do another marathon later on in the year where i will be refreshed and ready to roll. Cork looks great though , I hope to do it some year . Good luck to everyone involved

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am gonna leave it for this year and take a few weeks off instead .. I will look to do another marathon later on in the year where i will be refreshed and ready to roll. Cork looks great though , I hope to do it some year . Good luck to everyone involved

wise decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Not very clear if it will run at the normal times given its a Bank Holiday Monday. Hopefully it will be going regularly on the day Lapps Quay 5min walk from finish line

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/aboutcork/travel/parkride/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

You could park on coburg st, wellington rd and by patricks church. don't bother throwing up a disk, they won't be checked

cmickdaly wrote: »
    You could park on coburg st, wellington rd and by patricks church. don't bother throwing up a disk, they won't be checked

Is it not free on bank holidays anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Airtel31 wrote: »
    Is it not free on bank holidays anyway

Yep, its free. Same as a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Reminder that entries close at midnight tomorrow.
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/enter/

Advertisement