Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Any tips on easy places to watch. Parents (elderly) live in Bishopstown and will have my young kids with them, obviously the junction of Melbourn Road & Model Farm Road, where else would be easy for them to drive to and get back to this point to support me? Would Mahon be an option or will it be mad around there? Thanks

Perhaps by the lough? Its around mile 19. Easy for spectators to get to, good time for you to get a bit of a boost..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Any tips on easy places to watch. Parents (elderly) live in Bishopstown and will have my young kids with them, obviously the junction of Melbourn Road & Model Farm Road, where else would be easy for them to drive to and get back to this point to support me? Would Mahon be an option or will it be mad around there? Thanks

Yes, Model Farm rd would be a good spot, there's a slow drag up there so support would be welcome. I reckon if you got near the Rendezvous your parents could even catch the runners again as they pass County Hall, that's only a 5-10 min walk from the Rendezvous.

Whatever spot you pick plan your route to that spot as road closures can be a pain.

About to head out on our last long one, if we had weather like this morning for the big day I'd be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

About to head out on our last long one, if we had weather like this morning for the big day I'd be very happy.

Agreed!!

Heading to Stoneyford for 10k this morning to see what doing speed is like. Won't be a PB with that profile (also it is always hard to judge until you've done it once), but aiming for under 40 and not fall over a cone as happened last time... (right arm still not a 100% after that incident 2 months ago, but getting better)

Last long run tomorrow; 17 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Spotted the banners have appeared around town so here's a pic to whet your appetite, around 2.5 miles to go from here :)

zuiexh.jpg

Covered the last few miles of the course this evening, mile markers are there on the road up to 24, guess the last two will show up this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Wonder what the numbers for the full are like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

Airtel31 wrote: »
    Wonder what the numbers for the full are like
    Hopefully better than last year but probably no more than 1200

those signs weren't erected by yesterday morning anyway because we came in from Ballincollig all along there and up Victoria X and up Model Farm road on the long run yesterday.

I also spotted the mile markers for 23 and 24, the ones along Model Farm rd. have yet to be re-applied/freshened up.

It's when I start seeing the advance road closure notices on the electronic notice boards is the time the nerves starting to kick in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Is it too soon to speculate about the weather ?

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/cork/207697/daily-weather-forecast/207697?day=11

I might run it on the Sunday, get it out of the way !

Ron Scott wrote: »

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/cork/207697/daily-weather-forecast/207697?day=11

well I am not going to bother even looking at a weather forecast any more than 4 days out. Not worth it in this country where the weather is so changeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I wish I hadn't looked at this! It has added to my fear!
    At some point in the last week or so I became gripped by terror and I can't talk myself out of it! Its my first marathon and I'm only hoping to be able to jog the whole route with no time pressures so I can't imagine how those hoping for fast times must be feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

It has changed already, from 20 degrees to 13. Think I will stop looking for another week at least.

It has changed already, from 20 degrees to 13. Think I will stop looking for another week at least.

the wonderful Evelyn Cusack has often said they can only reliably work on models of 10 days or less. Anything more than that is guess work along the lines of idiot postmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

the wonderful Evelyn Cusack has often said they can only reliably work on models of 10 days or less. Anything more than that is guess work along the lines of idiot postmen.

With all due respect to the wonderful Evelyn, in Cork I'd say 2 to 3 days would be max. for any level of accuracy.

Itziger wrote: »
    With all due respect to the wonderful Evelyn, in Cork I'd say 2 to 3 days would be max. for any level of accuracy.

yes, I'm just referring to the crazy forecasts by various sites such as accuweather. You are proving my point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

If its anything like today's lunchtime run then it will be windy with searing heat at times and ice cold rain at others. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Bib No.|Username|PB|Goal|Result
    |Murph_D|3:36:17|3:27:59|
    |Echancrure|3:09:30||
    |jamesbere|first timer|3:45:00|
    |run_Forrest_run | 3:03:31 | 2:59:59|
    |Ecoenergy|3:29:26|3:14:59|
    |hot buttered scones| first timer|3:59:59|
    |dintbo|3:53:47|3:29:59|
    |PaulieYifter|2:58:06|2:59:30|

Half Marathon

|viperlogic|1:23:33|1:22:59|
    |unirunner2|1:31:01|1:29:59|
    |annapr|2:01:37|1:59:59|
    |raddo|1:52:14|1:49:59|
    |averagejoe123|1:37:20|1:29:59|
    |paulers06|1:49:26|1:47:59|
    |sixpack's little hat|1:22:26|1:19:59|

Doing this on what will be 6 weeks after a 3:01 in Boston so we'll have to see how the body holds up.
    Only long run in between was 27k last night after my slowest 10k for a couple of years in Maynooth on Sunday.

Gonna go out with the Sub 3 group and see what happens - have done Cork 3 times so I know it well - have to settle the record after a 3:00:18 2 years ago.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

I'm a bit of a weather nerd and while there are forecasting models out there giving info from more than 10 days out the reality is that 5 days out is the earliest weather could be called and then treat it with a pinch of salt. Should have a fairly good idea by Saturday

Blustery with rain and sunny spells and some dry spells. Little chance of frost and snow. Temperatures will increase as days goes on ;-)

|Echancrure|3:09:30|2:59:58|

Half Marathon

Body is holding up, so going for under 3. Hoping for the coldest 1st June on record...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

echancrure wrote: »
    |Echancrure|3:09:30|2:59:58|

Half Marathon

Body is holding up, so going for under 3. Hoping for the coldest 1st June on record...

Very intelligent to give yourself the 1.9999 second buffer there Echa. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

8M signs are up coming out of the tunnel. I enjoy this build up to the race but time does seem to be dragging a little and there's still 10 long days to go.

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    8M signs are up coming out of the tunnel. I enjoy this build up to the race but time does seem to be dragging a little and there's still 10 long days to go.

amen to that. Also it doesn't help that anytime I go for a light run I feel like shíte and sluggish....maranoia is what it is, remember that folks :D

Very intelligent to give yourself the 1.9999 second buffer there Echa. Good luck with it.

Actually I just learnt today that 1.999... is equal to 2

So that is plenty enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi All,

I'm taking part in a relay team for the marathon (complete newbie!). I'm running the 4th leg from Victoria Rd to Bishopstown. There is busses from City Hall to the relay changeover points which is fine, but I can't find any info on getting back to City Hall from the change over spots.

Does anyone know if there's busses back into City Hall or how to people generally get back? Would love to make it back into the finish line ASAP to join the rest of the team as the last man crosses the line.

Thanks!

i'm sure there are busses laid on. You could (as a lot of relay runners do) is jog back to the finish with your relay buddy on the last leg and make a long run out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

From the race day info on the website
    GETTING TO YOUR RELAY CHANGEOVER:
    A fleet of Bus Éireann buses will operate through the day to bring you to and from the outlying relay changeover points

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

Looks like race day is going rain and wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Airtel31 wrote: »
    Looks like race day is going rain and wind

I'd wait til Wednesday or Thursday, you'll get a more accurate picture then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm taking part in a relay team for the marathon (complete newbie!). I'm running the 4th leg from Victoria Rd to Bishopstown. There is busses from City Hall to the relay changeover points which is fine, but I can't find any info on getting back to City Hall from the change over spots.

Does anyone know if there's busses back into City Hall or how to people generally get back? Would love to make it back into the finish line ASAP to join the rest of the team as the last man crosses the line.

Thanks!

It typically leaves from CIT back to the city. CIT is a short walk from the hand over in Kenley through the estate

Advertisement