Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 01/06/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

echancrure wrote: »
    @Forest
    any pacing tip from you pacer mate?

Even pace? or positive spits due to hills and wind in 2nd half?

I'm not Forest's mate but I do have a view on it anyway. Cork is one of the very few marathons where I managed a negative split when I was racing it; just by a few seconds, so pretty much even splits, really.

The worst of the climbs is in the first half (the drag out of the tunnel) and the climbs in the second half are not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I highly recommend even splits, which is also the way the pacers are going to run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

I'm not Forest's mate but I do have a view on it anyway. Cork is one of the very few marathons where I managed a negative split when I was racing it; just by a few seconds, so pretty much even splits, really.

The worst of the climbs is in the first half (the drag out of the tunnel) and the climbs in the second half are not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I highly recommend even splits, which is also the way the pacers are going to run it.

is there a list of pacers up anywhere?

Best of luck with the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Forest
    any pacing tip from you pacer mate?

Even pace? or positive spits due to hills and wind in 2nd half?

I haven't been talking to Paul yet but if the strong winds do materialise then I don't need a pacer to tell me it might be a tall order. For me the margins are so tight for a sub-3 that any head wind for a few miles will kill any chance of achieving it.

I will make a decision on what to do at around 8:45am Monday morning:confused:

If it's really windy I'm tempted to just run it as a training run and then enter the Waterford Marathon which is in 3 weeks time...me head is wrecked!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I haven't been talking to Paul yet but if the strong winds do materialise then I don't need a pacer to tell me it might be a tall order. For me the margins are so tight for a sub-3 that any head wind for a few miles will kill any chance of achieving it.

Same here. But I'll still go for a pb (at 3:09:30 I have a larger margin for improvement than you) if the wind is too much (I'll decide at half way!).

Anyway always looks worse on the forecast than when you are actually running it.

Good luck everyone, enjoy.

Obviously a quiet day is preferable for a marathon but the wind coming from westerly direction isn't all that bad in Cork. You're sheltered for a good few miles on that stretch along the old railway line and, crucially, you'll have it on your back for the last 4 miles - as long as you're still in with a chance at that point.

Miles 18-22 will be the tough ones, with a combination of headwind and rolling hills. They will make or break your PB.

• Advertisement

cmickdaly wrote: »
    is there a list of pacers up anywhere?

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/raceday/pacers/
    cmickdaly wrote:
    Best of luck with the pacing.

Thanks :) Let's hope the geriatric 3:15 duo (combined age 94 years :eek:)won't let anyone down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Hey all,

Does anyone who picked up their number today know if you can just show the email on a phone? Must it be printed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 zinzan1

On Saturday some images on phones were scanning without a problem. If not, it was easy to get a replacement ticket from the help desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Condo131 wrote: »
    Weather forecast, from 7am to 4pm. This should be updated tomorrow mid-day/early afternoon.

Outlook has improved steadily over teh past few days - it was absolutely awful :eek: but has steadily improved. Forecast wind level has dropped and heaviest rain isn't now predicted to come until after 2pm. Should start out dry.

...Update tomorrow....fingers crossed, that conditions continue to improve.
    Updated 8am today. Final update this evening

Summary: It will start out dry tomorrow, with light rain/drizzle setting in around 10am, getting slightly heavier by 1pm, but getting heavy by 4pm. There will be strong winds throughout, however temperatures should stay around 10-12C

............vaseline/Bodyglide!

:eek: You have been warned...

CGUKUsIWgAEprod.jpg:large

from Cork Harbour Weather.:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

zinzan1 wrote: »
    On Saturday some images on phones were scanning without a problem. If not, it was easy to get a replacement ticket from the help desk.

Thanks that's really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

:eek: You have been warned...

CGUKUsIWgAEprod.jpg:large

from Cork Harbour Weather.:rolleyes::D

May the tide be with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Wishing all doing the full and half the very very best for tomorrow. Hope you all sleep soundly tonight and have an enjoyable and successful experience tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

zinzan1 wrote: »

I only had mine on the phone, I couldn't go print it cause was rushing away up to Kildare (and was being a bit of a stroppy cow tbh sorry whoever was caught with me! ). They were really helpful and reprinted at the help desk. Long queues yesterday but the staff got through them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Typically a lovely morning today!- Really hope the heavy rain/wind continues to be forecast for later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Went in yesterday at 5 and the place was empty with no one in any of the queues. Many were scanning from their phones. I had printed the ones we needed to collect. Best of luck too all. Body glide a must as if you get wet early from the rain the chaffing afterwards will be killer. Also don't forget to run the tangents especially on the link road, the tunnel and model farm road.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Rainfall: Precipitation rate in mm/h averaged over the previous 6 hours. At 0.3 it could be a tiny shower. temp looks ideal. wind it seems it will be a small breeze. So shelter at the back of your pace group in the exposed areas if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭cmickdaly

rom wrote: »
    Went in yesterday at 5 and the place was empty with no one in any of the queues. Many were scanning from their phones. I had printed the ones we needed to collect. Best of luck too all. Body glide a must as if you get wet early from the rain the chaffing afterwards will be killer. Also don't forget to run the tangents especially on the link road, the tunnel and model farm road.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

Rainfall: Precipitation rate in mm/h averaged over the previous 6 hours. At 0.3 it could be a tiny shower. temp looks ideal. wind it seems it will be a small breeze. So shelter at the back of your pace group in the exposed areas if you can.

can't be worse than 2010 surely !!!! doing 5 miles in relay. will use it as tempo run- 2 mile easy, 3 at half marathon pace. will jog a mile cooldown myself

Picked up pack today at 12. Loads of helpers and very relax, took 5 minutes.
    Nice talk by Ray O'Connor to get everyone in the mood.

Everything is chill (especially the temp !!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

cmickdaly wrote: »
    can't be worse than 2010 surely !!!! doing 5 miles in relay. will use it as tempo run- 2 mile easy, 3 at half marathon pace. will jog a mile cooldown myself

My first ever marathon or race of any sort, only reason I kept running was I felt that was as bad as it could get! The section on the walkway around Jacobs Island was particularly horrendous with horizontal rain right in your face ☺

The very best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, hope the weather gods are kind and hold off the worst of it 'til the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

opus wrote: »
    My first ever marathon or race of any sort, only reason I kept running was I felt that was as bad as it could get! The section on the walkway around Jacobs Island was particularly horrendous with horizontal rain right in your face ☺

Yip, I remember that stretch well, probably still haven't experienced anything as bad since, couldn't see 3ft ahead with the driving wind and rain.

The very best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, just doing the half myself. If you have anything left in the tank then probably the best place to push on for home would be the far side of the model farm road down into the tennis village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Final weather update on Cork Athletics website.

Summary:
    "It looks like it will start out dry, with light rain/drizzle setting in around 10am, getting a bit heavier for 1pm. By 4pm, it is expected to be 2 to 3mm/hour.

It is going to be pretty windy throughout, giving rise to a wind chill drop in temperature. If anything, the wind seems to be strengthening, particularly from around 12 noon.

Temperature looks like being around 10 - 12 degrees, however this will be tempered by a wind chill, due to the strong winds. For later finishers, the heavy rain will make for an even colder feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

opus wrote: »

The very best of luck to everyone running tomorrow, hope the weather gods are kind and hold off the worst of it 'til the afternoon.

my first marathon as well,brutal day.
    At least I won't have the Jacobs Island stretch to worry about tomorrow as I'm running the half.
    It's hard to believe how bad the forecast is as it's actually a nice night at the moment.
    Is it better to go with layers tomorrow as wind and cold protection or is the less you wear the better if it's going to be pouring?
    This could keep me awake tonight :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

It's says you have to bring your wristband, I didn't see any in my racepack

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Haven't see this doing the rounds, might get people in the mood...https://youtu.be/L3BKQ5aSqLI

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

jamesbere wrote: »
    It's says you have to bring your wristband, I didn't see any in my racepack

this is only for the relay, you have to pass on the wristband to the next runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Is it better to go with layers tomorrow as wind and cold protection or is the less you wear the better if it's going to be pouring?
    This could keep me awake tonight :-)

The only time I consider layers is if it is really really cold, like snowing. I'll be wearing a singlet tomorrow. If it does rain a tshirt is only going to be wet and heavy. The wind might be kinda chilly but after a few miles you will warm up...you won't be too exposed to wind and rain all day anyway, just for small stretches likely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

this is only for the relay, you have to pass on the wristband to the next runner.

Thanks, got worried there for a second

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Best of luck tomorrow everyone. Pain is temporary, Glory is forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

4.10 am. I've been in bed since 11pm and haven't had a wink of sleep yet. I'm praying to the running gods that adrenaline will get me through today.

Advertisement