Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Would it be normal for door 3 on the A330 to be open while sitting on the ground? Just seemed very random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Would it be normal for door 3 on the A330 to be open while sitting on the ground? Just seemed very random.

Yes common, most likely to allow air into cabin after a flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Stops the cleaners overheating :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Stops the cleaners overheating :-)

Surly the cleaners wouldn’t be allowed to touch doors

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Locker10a wrote: »

Im sure the engineers would be able to open them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

tnegun wrote: »
    mx5ire wrote: »
    Thanks for that - i get you on the doors ! As you say - will prob be first off, but where does the mobile lounge actually bring you ? Terminal B or the main terminal building ? I had understood that EI typically went to a terminal B gate (71-79 normally), then i could walk through the terminal for a few mins to the Airtrain, get it via the main terminal building to terminal C, where my United connection is. At least that was the plan !
    I think it was gate B81 right beside the usual gate
    Just wanted to provide a quick FYI on my IAD flight post travel - after we landed the plane taxied to a remote stand out past the D gates and we boarded those mobile lounges, which took us to the main terminal building, NOT the B gates as i expected. So after arriving at the main terminal, i expected a good walk to locate the Airtrain to transfer to the D gates, but just 20 seconds walk from the gate, and before we went downstairs toward the baggage reclaim / Airtrain etc, i noticed another mobile lounge transfer section which put us onto a mobile lounge straight over to the D gates, around gate D11 i think. So the transfer process actually worked out very quickly. 

I had checked the IAD arrivals page the day before i travelled and it had indicated Aer Lingus 119 arrival into gate B79, as i had seen on previous occasions too, and the cabin staff i spoke with on the flight also believed that we would arrive to the B gates, so not sure if this flight was just an exception.

Oh and the cabin interior on EI-GEY is horribly dated.

Tenger wrote: »

Im sure the engineers would be able to open them.

The cleaners are allowed open them,think they have to put a net up too

Bussywussy wrote: »
    The cleaners are allowed open them,think they have to put a net up too

Yeh the net was up. Got a picture but can't upload on mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Just wanted to provide a quick FYI on my IAD flight

Remote gate temporary re work on taxiway near usual designated terminal stand. Work all done so remote gate parking over.

GEY cabin refit this winter.......current cabin is a Quatar cabin as such.

I thought the main cabin was fitted out as EI standard?
    I saw a pic on facebook of the Business class cabin, it look spacious but dedinitely older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

I thought the main cabin was fitted out as EI standard?
    I saw a pic on facebook of the Business class cabin, it look spacious but dedinitely older.
    Its got EI colours and covers on the seats, but curtains etc are still original. The seats and layout are similar to the older EI business class from 10+ odd years ago, which actually makes it feel like there is more aisle and seat to seat space, but only because the seats themselves have a smaller footprint than the current EI standard in the other 330's. Smaller screens, smaller overhead bins and no single seats, and row 1 window seats lose quite a bit of leg room width due to the fuselage curving in. The guy there really wasn't happy with what he called a glorified economy plus seat and moved to a different free seat. Oh and the last row in business is separate from the others behind the line of the first galley type area.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Any word on those new TA routes,taught they wud have been announced by now,surly that 2-3 weeks time frame is up by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Karl8415 wrote: »
    Any word on those new TA routes,taught they wud have been announced by now,surly that 2-3 weeks time frame is up by now
    Announcment tomorrow

Travel xtra last Sunday stated Pittsburgh and Montreal. They have been wrong before however.
    http://www.travelextra.ie/travel-extra-sunday-supplement-september-9-2018/

Scroll down to "Behind the Headlines" section.
    (And yes, its been a lot more than "2-3 weeks", but to be fair the CEO did say "hopefully 2-3 weeks")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Some speculation that Minneapolis will be in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Thanks everyone,I know its not in the mix for tomorrow but does anyone think we’ll see the day when we’ll see EI heading to Texas,would there be a market,delighted to read Seattle going well and possibility of a 330-300 next year,when you think it shares the same flight time to Orlando which means any of the 300’s could operate it and not just the 242 ton models but am I jumping the gun then by asking if that happens and frees up a 200 series would that mean it could replace a route currently operated by a 757,because just thinking out load would the 103 to jfk come back and see a 330-200 on it,apologies for asking so many questions in one post

Well the COO did make reference about a year ago to EI having a shortlist of approx 12 target routes. He said if/when any one of them become attractive then they will be launched.
    Im sure EI have spent the summer talking to various airports (Texas included) to get a deal to launch a route. Possibly business groups as well.
    The SFO was launched with some sort of ticketing deal in place with a group of tech companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Thanks everyone,I know its not in the mix for tomorrow but does anyone think we’ll see the day when we’ll see EI heading to Texas,would there be a market

American is doing Dallas next year. I can't see two airlines serving Texas from Dublin.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Did Northwest used to serve MSP/DTW from DUB via Shannon about 30 years ago or am I totally imagining things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Noxegon wrote: »
    American is doing Dallas next year. I can't see two airlines serving Texas from Dublin.

Especially as those two airlines have applied for regulatory clearance to co ordinate schedules and share revenue. AA’s recent abandonment of JFK-DUB and announcement of DFW-DUB clears up those city pairs, I expect.

• Advertisement

So if two new transatlantic routes are announced tomorrow how will the transatlantic fleet look next year?

So if two new transatlantic routes are announced tomorrow how will the transatlantic fleet look next year?

Just posted on travelextra.ie that it’s Montreal and Minneapolis.
    So that’s a Canadian route for the new A321LRs. Plan was to retire a B757 (down to 3) , the delay in A321LR delivery might change that.
    MSP will be an A332 3-4 times a week based on previous EI route launches. With the rumoured increase to daily on DUB-SEA that will require another A330 (3x SEA and 4xMSP weekly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

HTCOne wrote: »
    Did Northwest used to serve MSP/DTW from DUB via Shannon about 30 years ago or am I totally imagining things!
    They served BOS & JFK IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just posted on travelextra.ie that it’s Montreal and Minneapolis.
    So that’s a Canadian route for the new A321LRs. Plan was to retire a B757 (down to 3) , the delay in A321LR delivery might change that.
    MSP will be an A332 3-4 times a week based on previous EI route launches. With the rumoured increase to daily on DUB-SEA that will require another A330 (3x SEA and 4xMSP weekly)

MSP is a 757 and YUL is A321neoLR

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

I would have MSP is rather far for a 757 TranAt flight... yOn winter with headwinds for example?

Great news though... Dakota's and Montana not too far away 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

sherology wrote: »
    I would have MSP is rather far for a 757 TranAt flight... yOn winter with headwinds for example?

Great news though... Dakota's and Montana not too far away 😉
    It's 3246nm great circle. DUB-ORD which is already operated by United with a 757 is 3192nm.

Oh wow... United do ORD with a 757. Didn't think you could get that central on 757 (and a321lr soon). Dublin really does have a geogtaphic TA advantage. Thanks.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    MSP is a 757 and YUL is A321neoLR

I stand corrected. That seems pretty far on a narrow body. And I saw that’s it daily too.

Any mention of upgrading PHL in the press announcement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I stand corrected. That seems pretty far on a narrow body. And I saw that’s it daily too.

Any mention of upgrading PHL in the press announcement?

No nothing that I saw, but the 757 has to come from somewhere right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    No nothing that I saw, but the 757 has to come from somewhere right?

PHL will be the first route to switch to the NEO/LR in July, freeing up the 757 to operate MSP, the Second NEO/LR arriving in August will operate YUL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

NH2013 wrote: »
    PHL will be the first route to switch to the NEO/LR in July, freeing up the 757 to operate MSP, the Second NEO/LR arriving in August will operate YUL.

What are we thinking on pax experience on the Neo over the 757? Bog standard narrowbody or any wow factor?

My next question I'm sure has already been answered and I should know but forgive me. Are the Neo going to be EI operated by normal 32x crew? Is this bye bye ASL or have they any role to fill in all of this?

If not, surely a blow, or maybe we will see them filling gaps like they did in Belfast this summer. Would be a shame to see the relationship end, they are a capable provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

Neo experience should be broadly similar to the 757 except with on board WiFi similar to A330s. Will be operated fully in house by Aer Lingus Pilots, Crew and Engineers all on the Aer Lingus AOC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

320 family is a bigger in the cabin than the 707/727/737/757 which share a common fuselage cross section, not noticed on short haul but it does mean a slightly wider seat 
    320 is quieter than the Boeing offerings as well 
    Should come with the latest interior, LED mood lighting and the latest IFE gear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Has there been any expansion on short haul announced this year, even extra frequencies? If the success of the transfer model so far is to be believed then surely some of the busier Euro routes must be bursting at the seams at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think more announcements will come, this was really just a new route launch whereas in the past we've seen new routes announced as part of an overall summer schedule reveal, it's possibly too early for a full summer schedule release so additional transatlantic frequencies and new short haul routes and frequencies are still to come. 

Last year for example, Aer Lingus announced Philadelphia followed by a full summer release in early October which included additional transatlantic frequencies and short haul growth. It wasn't until late November that Seattle was announced and Philadelphia was confirmed as daily. So there's room for more, we definitely haven't seen it all yet anyway.

• Advertisement

I think more announcements will come, .

Come on Las Vegas!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone know what aircraft is flying Toronto tomorrow... Newer IFE or the box under the seat?

sherology wrote: »
    Anyone know what aircraft is flying Toronto tomorrow... Newer IFE or the box under the seat?

GCF i believe..newer IFE

Just avoid the aisle seat on the window sides, still a great big ugly box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

State of Connecticut agree a deal to continue supporting DUB-BDL until 2022 at least; presumably a renewed but reduced subsidy. This includes changing to 321LR early.

• Advertisement

By the looks of it the 321LR with seat 184 pax total, is that more than the 757? How will it compare for cargo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

By the looks of it the 321LR with seat 184 pax total, is that more than the 757? How will it compare for cargo ?

I seem to recall there's a hit on cargo space due to the extra tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Kcormahs wrote: »
    In relation to the overnights in europe (ex. ei601 AMS and ei519 CDG) I also thought they'd be back but the plan has been dropped due to crew + aircraft costs + third parties (for example, LHR still have an EI engineer based plus EI brand lounge opens from 5am etc) so the overnights (ei149/159) still profitable. Unfortunately I would not be surprised if these last 2 are dropped by 2022 when the 7 years contract that IAG made on the EI Sale expires. Till there as far as I know IAG can't touch the EI schedules on the LHR route neither reduce frequencies, although they can add extra.
    None of the european flights leaving europe at 6amISh local are for sale at the minute (ofc apart from LHR) up to August 2019 so even if it did happen, it wouldn't be next summer.

Furthermore DAA just announced more improving and expansion on infrastructure at DUB airport which will open new stands and parkings for aircrafts, by other words no need for Aer Lingus to overnight any aircraft abroad as there will be enough room at DUB airport.

Again, the summer schedules are never finalised until October or November - they just generally carry the previous schedule forward (unless they’re dropping a route). I wouldn’t rule anything out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Again, the summer schedules are never finalised until October or November - they just generally carry the previous schedule forward (unless they’re dropping a route). I wouldn’t rule anything out yet!

The cost of them is just unsustainable. Plus, it already works well under the current schedules to connect onto TAs. Why would they change for a schedule that envolves such a big cost (overnightinging crew, hotels transport and expenses)? Montreal and Minneapolis were not choosen to depart after 2pm randomly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think the European night stop not happeningis. LHR is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Kcormahs wrote: »
    The cost of them is just unsustainable. Plus, it already works well under the current schedules to connect onto TAs. Why would they change for a schedule that envolves such a big cost (overnightinging crew, hotels transport and expenses)? Montreal and Minneapolis were not choosen to depart after 2pm randomly

We will just have to wait and see.

The cost/benefits are something EI would have to assess themselves.

I’m just pointing out that you wrongly assumed that the summer schedule is finalised because there are no flights in the booking engine.

The summer schedule isn’t finalised yet and never is until October/November or thereabouts. Even after that there can still be late notice schedule changes.

All they’ve done so far is carry the current schedule into summer 2019.

If the Ryanair deal goes through on connections then they probably wouldn’t need Euro overnights, alternatively an expansion with Cityjet could easily cover an early more AMS or CDG departure carrying connections to DUB, I think Cityjet even have established bases in both CDG and AMS

‘’He (Stephen Kavanagh) said Aer Lingus would be making announcements in the coming weeks focusing on expansion in mainly European cities.’’

Is aer lingus expanding their short haul network? Only out of Cork or possibly Dublin too? Wonder if we will see more a320s in the fleet arriving next year!

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/cork-boosted-by-airline-competition-869126.html

Each A321NEO LR is likely to do a DUB-UK/EU flight daily between TATL, this does give an uplift

Each A321NEO LR is likely to do a DUB-UK/EU flight daily between TATL, this does give an uplift

I also considered that. I just wonder will EI be getting 4 next year or only one/two due to delays? And will we see the Business class product on those routes? Maybe on the 320s too?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement