Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

deleted wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

EI-EWR is in for maintenance

Presumably it will then replace EI-GEY on the IAD run, which in turn will get its interior brought up to spec

Hopefully EI-GEY will be out of service by week of Dec 10, its scheduled on the Newark return that week (according to the seatplan) - i would love to avoid another trip on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Ireland trains

Could it be going to get the new livery

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Privilege Style 767 landing now at Dublin. Is this another EI hire in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

marno21 wrote: »
    Privilege Style 767 landing now at Dublin. Is this another EI hire in ?

Would assume so though generally I thought they position in with EI flight numbers not PVG but I could be off the mark there

Privilege must love these virtually guaranteed paydays at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Can I just ask why do the 330’s head to Bordeaux for maintenance,is it that Dublin is booked solid r that ei can get 2 done at the one time( 1 in Dublin and 1 in Bordeaux) and also wot checks to they undergo there because they can be there for 2-3 weeks at a time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would assume so though generally I thought they position in with EI flight numbers not PVG but I could be off the mark there

Privilege must love these virtually guaranteed paydays at this stage

Indeed not for EI at all. Just landing at Dublin now after a return trip to Beirut

marno21 wrote: »
    Indeed not for EI at all. Just landing at Dublin now after a return trip to Beirut

Any guesses as to purpose? Haven't seen it in the Sunway brochure ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Any guesses as to purpose? Haven't seen it in the Sunway brochure ;)

From Beirut, I would guess troop movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Karl8415 wrote: »
    Can I just ask why do the 330’s head to Bordeaux for maintenance,is it that Dublin is booked solid r that ei can get 2 done at the one time( 1 in Dublin and 1 in Bordeaux) and also wot checks to they undergo there because they can be there for 2-3 weeks at a time

It's where they are contracted to go for some C checks, they take a few weeks to complete,there is 2 or 3 supposed to be going to Abu Dhabi for maintenance too.price will dictate these base maintenance contracts but quality can be crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Cash is the real reason. Mgt took the view that it was cheaper to sub out the work to a third party than keep it inhouse. The work is completed under a team of AL senior engineers who supervise the checks. Been this way for years now. Maybe as many as 8-10. No different to all the structural work that is contracted out to Dublin Aerospace or Lufty. No guesses as to where the top ex AL engineering staff now work.....

Bussywussy wrote: »
    It's where they are contracted to go for some C checks, they take a few weeks to complete,there is 2 or 3 supposed to be going to Abu Dhabi for maintenance too.price will dictate these base maintenance contracts but quality can be crap.

And when you say that they are contracted,is that situation where EI would have signed a multi year agreement with Bordeaux so that’s why they are sent down because if you look at Abu Dhaibi,that’s a fair journey from HQ to get them there and back.Also how severe is a C check,are we talking seats out/floors/cockpit etc because am I right in thinking that a D check is the major one where it’s pretty much stripped to its hull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

From Beirut, I would guess troop movement.

It is and one next week also

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OCISLY

basill wrote: »
    Cash is the real reason. Mgt took the view that it was cheaper to sub out the work to a third party than keep it inhouse. The work is completed under a team of AL senior engineers who supervise the checks. Been this way for years now. Maybe as many as 8-10. No different to all the structural work that is contracted out to Dublin Aerospace or Lufty. No guesses as to where the top ex AL engineering staff now work.....

Actually, the work is completed and supervised by engineers from the organization carrying out and certifying the work. EI will have a rep on site, but that’s far more commercial than technical.

Care you enlighten us where all the top ex AL engineering staff work? It seems you must know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

And when you say that they are contracted,is that situation where EI would have signed a multi year agreement with Bordeaux so that’s why they are sent down because if you look at Abu Dhaibi,that’s a fair journey from HQ to get them there and back.Also how severe is a C check,are we talking seats out/floors/cockpit etc because am I right in thinking that a D check is the major one where it’s pretty much stripped to its hull
    Most operators have their own customised version of the MPD (Maintenance Planning Document) to suit their own needs, this allows them to plan their checks to satisfy the requirements of the MPD. In the old days operators used to do four or five C Checks followed by a major D Check where the aircraft would be grounded for weeks or months and completely stripped down.
    Nowadays operators tend to split the checks into C Checks and structural C Checks so end up over the course of ten or twelve years doing C1 to C12 checks which satisfies the requirements without the need for a D Check.
    All the same major inspections and tasks are done, just spread out over a number of smaller C Checks.
    I don't know anything about EI but not many operators do D Checks these days.

Yea the contract was up or near up for renewal...the best price wins...the Abu Dhabi thing was prob to try scare Sabrina in Bordeaux into a reduction in price...I'm really not sure why dub aerospace don't do more of the A330 stuff...might be that one A330 removes 2 or 3 A320s etc...wait til IAG will want the A330s to go iberia Madrid...they don't have a good reputation.

Just while we are on about the 330’s with the news last week that the fleet will be boosted by 3 in the coming years is it expected that they’ll go down the second hand market for them because I just wonder would the contemplate if buying new the A330 neo or would that make for awkward maintenance having 3 neo’s with the balance made up of older 200/300 models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Second hand leased or run-out model new A330OEO would be most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

EWR back in service today and NH goes to BOD for C check.

A319er wrote: »
    EWR back in service today and NH goes to BOD for C check.

What work is carried out on a C check are we talking seats been removed and engines etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just while we are on about the 330’s with the news last week that the fleet will be boosted by 3 in the coming years is it expected that they’ll go down the second hand market for them because I just wonder would the contemplate if buying new the A330 neo or would that make for awkward maintenance having 3 neo’s with the balance made up of older 200/300 models

I think the presentation stated that the next 3 would be A330-300s and the units slated for 2022-23 are marked as 'tba'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

CEO is still available, the last 4 A330-330's for EI are the latest CEO HGW version. The NEO hasn't entered commercial service.

When EI got the A330 it was lucky as it got CF6, the RR and PW engines had issues at the time, good fortune really back then but today the CF6 isn't the favoured engine.

If EI had gone with RR the NEO discussion might be a bit different as really the change is the engine and a new winglet, otherwise its very much the same and a change in interior similar to the 320

The first 321 NEO comes at end of June and will do Hartford on July 1st, EI-LRA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Would any of the news do the west coast of America? Thinking of going over there next year and wondering what the chances are of getting one

So beginning of August really...

Ha this is the one originally due in April..

Beat me to it.

EI introducing a new type and having it planned for introduction into the schedule at the height of high season .... Well it makes me want to buy shares in Titan

Obviously a committee decision, nobody in their right mind would put themselves under such pressure with a deadline like that on a new type/variant EIS.
    There are way too many external factors beyond their control which could affect that, not least will be AI's ability to deliver the aircraft on schedule...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OU812 wrote: »
    Would any of the news do the west coast of America? Thinking of going over there next year and wondering what the chances are of getting one

No. They won't make it, for starters.

On paper they can make SEA, in reality they won't.

• Advertisement

A contract is a contract so I'd assume if Airbus are late there is a penalty clause.

Its a A321 so new real crew training issues, its the same plane, same cockpit bar a slight handling change under crosswind due the new sharklets

Strictly speaking you could fit EI-CPE/G/H with the aux tank and do a few training flights to Boston... Without any passengers it would have no problem with the trip. Already have the HF radio and the CPDLC fitted. The aux tanks are somewhere on the floor of hanger 6...

And of course all pilots in Aer Lingus are trained for CPDLC and Atlantic procedures as they are used almost daily to avoid French airspace when flying to Portugal and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

What is your source for this? On the website and internal it still for sale on a 757 map and type

Kcormahs wrote: »
    What is your source for this? On the website and internal it still for sale on a 757 map and type

Maybe have a look at Bussywussys posting history and you’ll figure out their source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

A contract is a contract so I'd assume if Airbus are late there is a penalty clause.

Its a A321 so new real crew training issues, its the same plane, same cockpit bar a slight handling change under crosswind due the new sharklets

Strictly speaking you could fit EI-CPE/G/H with the aux tank and do a few training flights to Boston... Without any passengers it would have no problem with the trip. Already have the HF radio and the CPDLC fitted. The aux tanks are somewhere on the floor of hanger 6...

And of course all pilots in Aer Lingus are trained for CPDLC and Atlantic procedures as they are used almost daily to avoid French airspace when flying to Portugal and beyond.

I thought they only had the ATN/VHF CPDLC fitted like the other 320s? They still only have the J1 in the flightplan IIRC indicating VHF datalink only.

Edit: Yep they still HF voice report on the ocean. Only the 330s have Satellite datalink and voice. You can tell by the lack of SATCOM hump on the upper fuselage of the 320s/321s. I’m sure the LRs will have SATCOM though, otherwise they won’t be allowed into RVSM airspace within a year or 2 on the NAT.

Im gonna to hazard a guess that certain section in EI get the heads up well in advance of any public indication.

Engineering need to have their people trained up beforehand. Same for flight crew, cabin crew and ground handling (although changes are probably minor for the latter 2)

Aer Lingus flying 5x daily to CDG (extra daily flight) from the 2nd May until the 14th May. Any specific reason for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Aer Lingus flying 5x daily to CDG (extra daily flight) from the 2nd May until the 14th May. Any specific reason for this?

Is there a sporting event on then?
    Or could they possibly be tinkering with their summer schedule, which probably isn’t completely finalised

Locker10a wrote: »
    Is there a sporting event on then?
    Or could they possibly be tinkering with their summer schedule, which probably isn’t completely finalised

I thought the same or some sort of festival but some random days in April seem to be going 5 daily too.

Lisbon has changed times too, bringing the late flight to a 1900z departure. Probably to fight the new competition from TAP twice daily and ryanair extra frequencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its operates to match A321LRs arrivals (not operated). Starts again on 9th August (first A321LR schedule in from YUL). Offers good connections outbound to YYZ/BDY/PHL/MSP etc.

Its quiet season early May. 19.00 to Lisbon isn't new.

YUL-DUB-NCE-DUB-YUL looks like a good schedule for A321LR.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its operates to match A321LRs arrivals (not operated). Starts again on 9th August (first A321LR schedule in from YUL). Offers good connections outbound to YYZ/BDY/PHL/MSP etc.

Its quiet season early May. 19.00 to Lisbon isn't new.

YUL-DUB-NCE-DUB-YUL looks like a good schedule for A321LR.

Interesting to know and makes sense, smart way of increasing short haul captivity,
    I can only guess the A321LR will be rolled out on short haul ops to begin with for training and familiarisation?

Interesting to know and makes sense, smart way of increasing short haul captivity,
    I can only guess the A321LR will be rolled out on short haul ops to begin with for training and familiarisation?

No idea but the one that comes in from BDY likely head to LHR unless its those Boeing 737s plans happening.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No idea but the one that comes in from BDY likely head to LHR unless its those Boeing 737s plans happening.

LIS may have frequencies reduced for 2019/2020 due to competition same way it happened on the MAD route.

LIS will have 6x flight daily during the summer when it used to be once/daily aer lingus 5 years ago and still it wasnt full

The a321LR matches the schedules to CDG when arriving from YUL but in March/April all the frequencies will be operated by a320. I wonder if the Aer Space will be rulled out before the arrival of the a321lrs

I can remember when AF got their first A380 they used to on CDG-LHR-CDG for crew familiarisation. Long enough that they was no to no time pressure but still gets the airframe back quick enough.

Tenger wrote: »
    I can remember when AF got their first A380 they used to on CDG-LHR-CDG for crew familiarisation. Long enough that they was no to no time pressure but still gets the airframe back quick enough.

I know it’s technically not a new type of aircraft for EI but I’d imagine it’s just good commercial practice to allow familiarisation for crew, pilots, groundstaff, I’m sure there are a few differences mainly technically.
    Would pilots require much sim training for this on account of the new engine type ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tenger wrote: »
    I can remember when BAF got their first A380 they used to on CDG-LHR-CDG for crew familiarisation. Long enough that they was no to no time pressure but still gets the airframe back quick enough.

Not sure British Air Ferries ever made it to the A380 Tenger!

Vickers Viscounts aplenty on the other hand! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 susan1992

Royal Air Maroc will join OneWorld. This was announced Wednsday. WIth the new Aer Lingus CEO coming from the alliances and network management at BA, hopefully we hear Aer Lingus joining next!

I do recall the A321 first flight for EI was CDG, so history repeating itself possibly

I do recall the A321 first flight for EI was CDG, so history repeating itself possibly

I recall the A321 when brand new featured in an episode of Airport, for those who remember it. It was celebrated with fanfare and balloons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I recall the A321 when brand new featured in an episode of Airport, for those who remember it. It was celebrated with fanfare and balloons etc
    Yes and Siobhan from Aer Lingus running down the ‘Green Mile’ pier in search of a bagpipe player! Aer Lingus featured quite heavily in the early years of Airport, mainly through its handling of other airlines at the time.

Yes and Siobhan from Aer Lingus running down the ‘Green Mile’ pier in search of a bagpipe player! Aer Lingus featured quite heavily in the early years of Airport, mainly through its handling of other airlines at the time.

I’d love find those old episodes somewhere
    Also I wonder what ever happened to Siobhan !

A321LR to operate BDL,MSP, YUL and European flights before T/A starts in July.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/aer-lingus-identifies-initial-transatlantic-a321lr-r-454226/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement