Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Well, if that leak is the new livery, it looks horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Comhra wrote: »
    The rebrand isn't exactly new, is it? This B767 was flying for EI in 2016 in very similar colours to this new scheme.

576c435de7c9a_ScreenShot2016-06-23at21.09.15.JPG.28a5e5e50f8c1f98d33bde481892c9a2.JPG

That's arguably better than the new attempt (assuming eurowhite is a must)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Its NOT a rebrand, its a refresh!!!

Its NOT a rebrand, its a refresh!!!

If they want a refresh to justify going white then that makes sense but why on earth d!ck around with fonts and shamrocks meaning that every single piece of material in every airport, distribution channel and marketing has to be "refreshed" (it is a rebrand they just use the refresh word to keep expectations low in full knowledge they would be producing mediocrity

Plus we are going to have to listen to the bullcrap that the shamrock is arse ways as that is the way it would naturally blow in the wind

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

I quite like Lidl Irish butter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sandbelter

One thing I find odd about this image.

On the top image both shamrocks are blown in the direction of the rear of the aircraft.

On the bottom image the fore shamrock is being blown to the nose and the rear shamrock in the direction of the tail.

Looks odd and not symmetrical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

sandbelter wrote: »

On the top image both shamrocks are blown in the direction of the rear of the aircraft.

On the bottom image the fore shamrock is being blown to the nose and the rear shamrock in the direction of the tail.

I noticed that. Beginning to suspect that leaked image may not be the actual livery at all - just a bit of a prank...hope I'm right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

sandbelter wrote: »

That would be because the shamrock + titles is considered the official logo mark and is never flipped no matter what side of the aircraft it’s on.

As much as I don’t want this to be the real deal, I think we’re clutching at straws hoping it isn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Hopefully it’s not the new livery although its looking like it will be very similar which is disappointing. Iraqi Airways, a former green top did a nice take on the eurowhite that stands out from the rest.

Something like the second photo with modern shamrock could have been a killer livery and a real brand statement imo. IAG seem intent on harmonizing the liveries on their fleet and it makes good business sense but bland liveries.

The new livery is going to take some getting used to.

470263.jpg

470264.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I really like that second photo!

Would have been an absolute killer IMO, a real standout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I really like it. It also says 'Rev 1' in the file name, which indicates that the picture shown is not the finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kmart6 wrote: »
    Random one, do Aer Lingus not update their IFE monthly anymore? Have checked the website for what is playing and hasn't changed from the December listing, which was pretty bad to be honest. Flying back TA to DUB next week and just curious if I'll need to load up the iPad/phone with movies/shows. Could just be a case that the website has not been updated which wouldn't surprise me.
    Just on this, the movies weren't changed from December. Shame really as it take away the comfort of the IFE.

Flew JetBlue last week and they change their movies each month, have different movies depending on the direction of the flight and also have live TV, which was great to be able to watch a live game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Well, if that leak is the new livery, it looks horrific.

I don’t believe for one moment it will be a white tube with a splash of green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I don’t believe for one moment it will be a white tube with a splash of green.

Ha you'll be In for a shock

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I really like it. It also says 'Rev 1' in the file name, which indicates that the picture shown is not the finished product.

As with all modifications/paperwork have revision numbers.

Bussywussy wrote: »
    As with all modifications/paperwork have revision numbers.

I think the point is they were unlikely to stop at the first revision.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

If they use a metallic green (like virgins red), change the font and improve that awful shamrock I guess it would be somewhat tolerable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mahony0509 wrote: »

The leaked image isnt as detailed another image I was shown by a mate. His has insets and scale marking. Much more polished and exactly the same design.
    Only difference is that the shade of green in the image postes above is a bit too dark. Prob a function of being a photo of a screen.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Flew JetBlue last week and they change their movies each month, have different movies depending on the direction of the flight and also have live TV, which was great to be able to watch a live game.
    The Live TV is a great product on Jetblue. (Shame about silly US asveets every 4 mins though) It is possible as Jetblue fly overland on most routes. Their TV and FlyFi service are not available on oceanic flights (EG. Puerto Rico and Cuba)

I think the point is they were unlikely to stop at the first revision.

However that revision is being painted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’m honestly shocked that’s the shamrock they’ve chosen. It’s so poorly designed and appears to be facing opposite the direction of travel which makes zero sense on an aircraft. It’s going to look horrendous on Business Class branding and on the walls of the flagship lounges, there’s absolutely nothing premium about it.

The font is questionable too, why go to all the effort of picking a new font only for it to be slightly different and yet somehow much worse than the one you currently have? Billboard titles in the Aer Club font would have at least made a statement.

An all white livery is one thing but getting the shamrock and titles so badly wrong is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Until it is actually officially announced I don't see the point in everyone getting so upset over it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Until it is actually officially announced I don't see the point in everyone getting so upset over it...

Going to be some knickers twisted when it’s pushed out of the hanger it would seem

I wasn’t sure on first glance but I think I actually like it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Tenger wrote: »
    The Live TV is a great product on Jetblue. (Shame about silly US asveets every 4 mins though) It is possible as Jetblue fly overland on most routes. Their TV and FlyFi service are not available on oceanic flights (EG. Puerto Rico and Cuba)

JetBlue WiFi is a satellite service not ATG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Anyone know if there will ever be plans to do a Cork - Belfast flight again? The last one stopped because of the crash at Cork a few years ago.

Anyone know if there will ever be plans to do a Cork - Belfast flight again? The last one stopped because of the crash at Cork a few years ago.

Were you watching "Don't look back in anger" ?

The route really isn't viable. Manx2 made an effort of it because of low lease and crew costs and their position as a virtual airline, however that price was paid when they planted one into the ground.

Its a route with no connection potential so unless an airline can find the way of matching the cost base of a bus it's never going to happen.

I would love if we still had the days of FR on DUB-ORK (so convenient and pretty much guaranteed €9.99 fares no matter when you booked) which you would think would have more potential than BFS but if FR couldn't make it work nobody can.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Unless it's a PSO route can't see any more flights within Ireland sadly. ORK-DUB would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

but if FR couldn't make it work nobody can.

FR can't offer connections, EI-R can. But there are obviously more viable routes for them to operate and they don't have an unlimited number of frames and staff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If EI continue their transatlantic growth out of Dublin, or possibly join OneWorld (with AA/BA/IB/AY/CX/QR codeshares ex DUB), and no one starts direct full service transatlantic from Cork, it seems only a matter of time before ORK-DUB feeder flights emerge. Journey times on the M7/M50 are getting longer if anything and direct rail connection to the airport is 10 years away.

Plenty of other city pairs around Europe where feeder -> hub connections of similar length to Dublin-Cork are available. MAN-LHR, OPO-LIS, GVA-ZRH, STR-FRA to name but a few. Stuttgart-Frankfurt Airport takes less than 90 minutes by train and there's a connecting flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Nuremberg to Munich is another example of the feeder flight, its only 167km between the two airports by road.

https://youtu.be/6_xlNfoxy8w?t=1322

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

marno21 wrote: »
    If EI continue their transatlantic growth out of Dublin, or possibly join OneWorld (with AA/BA/IB/AY/CX/QR codeshares ex DUB), and no one starts direct full service transatlantic from Cork, it seems only a matter of time before ORK-DUB feeder flights emerge. Journey times on the M7/M50 are getting longer if anything and direct rail connection to the airport is 10 years away.

Plenty of other city pairs around Europe where feeder -> hub connections of similar length to Dublin-Cork are available. MAN-LHR, OPO-LIS, GVA-ZRH, STR-FRA to name but a few. Stuttgart-Frankfurt Airport takes less than 90 minutes by train and there's a connecting flight.

IMO the problem with that on an ORK-DUB route though is due to the timings for most of EI's TA departures, the flight is literally only useful for connecting, as it really would be too late arriving into DUB for business people, commuters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

marno21 wrote: »
    OPO-LIS

Even worse train connections than ORK-DUB admittedly. Used it last summer, is treated as a premium service - single class ATR but everyone checks in at the biz/status checkin desks, gets fast track, etc. Hourly service, was badly delayed the day I used it due to fog at OPO though.

Flight time without wx issues is very, very short so the in flight service is a non alcoholic drink and a chocolate bar before taxi and a mini Magnum ice-cream in flight!

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    JetBlue WiFi is a satellite service not ATG.
    I am mistaken. My last flight with JetBlue was about 2 years ago. I was under the impression that it was an air to ground rather than statelite service.
    Thanks for correction.

I do think that new build aircraft should have sat WiFi already installed. Let the operator decide on activation or not. Current tech does have a fuel burn penalty however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

In an ideal world a totally separate terminal for internal flights would be perfect. Something by the cityjet hanger. Space for some cars. Few check in desks. Security. Walk straight out airside onto aircraft and off you go.

Shuttle bus for arriving pax to connect to main terminal.

Sure an internal flight is short but the process of getting to said gate in T2 and almost walking to T1 takes forever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

So I’m meant to be sunning myself in the Caribbean but my plans got halted yesterday morning. Anyway getting to my point, we got flown home with EI, first time flying Long haul with them (anyone know what aircraft was used sat night 21.50 ex ord???) Orlando to Dub. The plane looked new and was clean, I’m 6ft2 and plenty of room and the IFE was the best I’ve used compared to United,Etihad,emirates and virgin, very responsive and nice user interface. I was a bit disappointed that there was no free alcohol but the food was good. What really stood out was the cabin crew, there seemed to be a mix between old school and new school but all were very polite, the old school ladies really gave a mommy feel and seemed genuine and I felt they were there to assist you as best they could.

On another note EI really need to up their game at their outstations. The check in desks were manic, old dated with minimal Aer Lingus branding present. It really felt like a pop up check in desk. I’m aware that Orlando airport could do with a major re-fresh but while looking at virgins presence there I feel EI could do more.

All in all I’d be considering them again if they can match virgin in getting to the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

The route really isn't viable. Manx2 made an effort of it because of low lease and crew costs and their position as a virtual airline, however that price was paid when they planted one into the ground.

JetMagic were getting daily loads in the mid-20s between Belfast City and Cork, but of course that was on a 135 and a CRJ so was hopelessly expensive. Put another way, that would overbook a Do 228 but no airline in Ireland has any interest in operating 19 seaters because there's not enough growth potential.

The demand for growth kills more routes than lack of profit does.

It's easy to mock Manx2 / CityWings but at least they were focused on providing a useful service rather than aspiring to be the next Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

adam88 wrote: »
    So I’m meant to be sunning myself in the Caribbean but my plans got halted yesterday morning. Anyway getting to my point, we got flown home with EI, first time flying Long haul with them (anyone know what aircraft was used sat night 21.50 ex ord???) Orlando to Dub.

You flew home on EI-DUZ, a 12yo A330-300. (ORD is Chicago not Orlando, you flew MCO-DUB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You flew home on EI-DUZ, a 12yo A330-300. (ORD is Chicago not Orlando, you flew MCO-DUB)

You sure? That left on Sunday night? Wonder did the OP mean Friday night landing Sat morning? That was EI FNG, a newer frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You sure? That left on Sunday night? Wonder did the OP mean Friday night landing Sat morning? That was EI FNG, a newer frame.

FR24 had it leave MCO Sat night and arrive into DUB just after 10:30 yesterday morning. I'm presuming the poster meant he left Orlando on Saturday? but yes if he left Friday and arrived into DUB on Sat then it was FNG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I left sat night and got into Dublin on Sunday morning.
    The plane looked new enough anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

FR24 had it leave MCO Sat night and arrive into DUB just after 10:30 yesterday morning. I'm presuming the poster meant he left Orlando on Saturday? but yes if he left Friday and arrived into DUB on Sat then it was FNG.

Think there is an issue with FR24 on my phone, dates seem to be off

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Some early clues?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Some early clues?

Ah here, please no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Here’s a sneak peek for ye

[IMG][/img]03FD8801-0AF9-495F-902D-473DF7A47D93_zpsr6rcf5ce.jpg

[IMG][/img]F588E2C5-0A94-4C8A-8F0F-EF93673CBD66_zpswbcb76zs.jpg

[IMG][/img]0755487C-6FDB-4F6B-832E-88429A707217_zpsp5yb9xp3.jpg

[IMG][/img]001C0491-429F-48B9-A607-B797C26DE845_zpsjbiqs4ks.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Some early clues?

Now that looks great

The hanger pics I got didnt have "photobucket" on them.........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sadly those hangar photos look like it’s going to be the earlier leaked version which is disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »
    The hanger pics I got didnt have "photobucket" on them.........

I had to upload them to photobucket to upload them here, just left a watermark on them for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Looks like Oman Air in the photo, but the Shamrock confirms its the hideous earlier leaked version. As if the lack of service and contempt for Shannon was not enough reasons to avoid EI, now their planes look like muck, muck livery and muck airline imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Let's just pray the font is different

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement