Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

The spotters mound at DUB is going to have to give out free diazepam or something they are going to explode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

theguzman wrote: »
    Looks like Oman Air in the photo, but the Shamrock confirms its the hideous earlier leaked version. As if the lack of service and contempt for Shannon was not enough reasons to avoid EI, now their planes look like muck, muck livery and muck airline imo.

If the Shannon region supported the services they were given then they would be maintained. Fact is the region doesn't and somehow feels they are owed an air service at the expense of other more lucrative routes. Airlines are running a business and they should not be subsidising routes just to keep a minority who do not show consistent support happy.

Considering you think the airline is so muck I don't understand why you have a grievance that they aren't there?

Far more airlines than EI have given the people of Shannon's catchment a shot and they have bailed rather quickly for the same reasons EI will only serve what suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭sandbelter

I do like Air Transat's refreshed color scheme.....oops It's Aer Lingus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Some early clues?

I don't mind the tail actually but that font looks like it was drawn by a child with a crayola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

john boye wrote: »
    I don't mind the tail actually but that font looks like it was drawn by a child with a crayola.

Or as the press release will say "Designed to embody the youthful culture of a refreshed Aer Lingus"

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

billie1b wrote: »
    Here’s a sneak peak

That's f**king awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like the leaked drawings from the weekend are the real deal then, I like the overall design but can already tell the shamrock is too small and low on the tail, it's also pointing in the opposite direction of travel which makes no sense to me. Just have to see the titles now.
    Some early clues?
    An almost identical version of that shamrock can be found on a Google Image search, they really were scraping the barrel if this was a contender. The tail had potential though, it's a slightly more interesting design but again the shamrock would have been too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

So .. is it the lovely curvey ribbon shamrock and cool font (as per the 3 images attached)... Or that horrible cartoon shamrock/font as per the screen shot last week. Can't tell from the photobucket pictures.

Love the 'images' of the shamrock/logo/font... And could live with eurowhite if they use that. Please any dayity you pray to its not that cartoons crap from the shreenshot posted a few days ago.

When is she 'due'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Some early clues?
    I really like that. Could do with some slight modifications but think it's really good. The design it appears they've gone with looks like a badly done flight sim livery done in Microsoft paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Internal video posted to EI staff (which won't be shared) looks fantastic and very sleek, included were livery wearing assets (aircraft, ground equipment etc). As someone who wears the uniform on a daily basis, I'm particularly looking forward to the grand reveal Thurs afternoon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

As if the lack of service and contempt for Shannon was not enough reasons to avoid EI, now their planes look like muck, muck livery and muck airline imo.

Supply and demand....bet you'd be the first out to the roundabout if they pulled out of Snn completely

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Internal video posted to EI staff (which won't be shared) looks fantastic and very sleek, included were livery wearing assets (aircraft, ground equipment etc). As someone who wears the uniform on a daily basis, I'm particularly looking forward to the grand reveal Thurs afternoon. :)

That video only showed concepts aircraft wise....it'll be nothing like what's coming thursday,if the video showed the new design of menus etc it's hiddeous

Bussywussy wrote: »
    That video only showed concepts aircraft wise....it'll be nothing like what's coming thursday,if the video showed the new design of menus etc it's hiddeous

A particular design was put forward at numerous stages which I'm lead to believe is the final design. There was a note attached at the bottom of the video in regards to what was shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

If a white fuselage is a must, then a well-done tail scheme is vital.

Iraqi Airways have rebranded. Interestingly their old livery was somewhat similar to EI, and their new scheme is a white fuselage and green tail, but they have a very elegant, professional-looking design for their tail. They've managed a very nice new look. Way to go, looks great, imho.

Photo credit: airplane-pictures.net

982812.jpg

A particular design was put forward at numerous stages which I'm lead to believe is the final design. There was a note attached at the bottom of the video in regards to what was shown.

I've seen the aircraft design,it's poor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'm guessing it's going to look very like Level's livery with a shamrock on the tail.

Fair enough but that is your opinion at the end of the day. Everyone has different tastes and speaking to colleagues who were at the 1996 re-brand it took a lot, time to adapt to it. Change is a big thing and even more so when the current brand has held the mantle for over 20 years. For the majority of the current EI staff this is the first re-brand they are here to be a part of so I appreciate its a touchy subject.

Fair enough but that is your opinion at the end of the day. Everyone has different tastes and speaking to colleagues who were at the 1996 re-brand it took a lot, time to adapt to it. Change is a big thing and even more so when the current brand has held the mantle for over 20 years. For the majority of the current EI staff this is the first re-brand they are here to be a part of so I appreciate its a touchy subject.

I hear ya, hopefully it looks better once real,I do think it looks better on the A320 drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Looks like Oman Air in the photo, but the Shamrock confirms its the hideous earlier leaked version. As if the lack of service and contempt for Shannon was not enough reasons to avoid EI, now their planes look like muck, muck livery and muck airline imo.

Shannon kept this country to ransom for long enough with the ridiculous stop over. Use the services or loose it, an airline is a business not a charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

My problem with Aer Lingus is they don't even operate the flights they have with several cancellations out of Shannon, I don't expect Shannon to have the same connectivity as Dublin obviously. But Aer Lingus routinely cancel Shannon flights at the last minute treating Shannon passengers as second class citizens and were doing it all last year. I am currently in the process of claiming €600 from them over it for an Uncle of mine who was left high and dry.

• Advertisement

It's not routine, it happens once or twice in peak summer when an aircraft goes tech in Dublin and Aer Lingus need a quick fix to clear the backlog. The fleet isn't currently large enough to warrant a year round spare and when the inevitable happens it just makes the best business sense that any solution impacts the least amount of passengers as possible, that unfortunately means Shannon which is naturally a much smaller market and far lower yielding. 

I don't think it's fair and I don't think it's wise in the long term but when faced with 300 passengers needing urgent rebooking versus 170, you know which one is going to get looked after first. Sometimes it's unavoidable and sometimes its simply a case of Aer Lingus penny pinching but they are by no means unique in the world of aviation when it comes to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Sometimes it's unavoidable and sometimes its simply a case of Aer Lingus penny pinching.

They seemed to have their act together the year they had the all white social jet.

A 20 year old frame sitting in the desert somewhere with an all economy configuration can’t be that hard to find to plug a gap during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Pics from previous poster were screenshots from the internal video. Which is a no no. Or so I thought. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Think there is an issue with FR24 on my phone, dates seem to be off

The time on the app is Zulu, so Sat nights flight will appear as Sunday as it departed MCO at 03:00Z, that might be causing the confusion no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

The time on the app is Zulu, so Sat nights flight will appear as Sunday as it departed MCO at 03:00Z, that might be causing the confusion no?

Yup - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

It's not routine, it happens once or twice in peak summer when an aircraft goes tech in Dublin and Aer Lingus need a quick fix to clear the backlog. .

“Once or twice during the summer” is a laughable statement. Also let’s not forget back in 2015/2016 when there were services cancelled for a week or more. The excused such as “sick crew” “technical issue” are well past their sell-by date

Alicano wrote: »
    Pics from previous poster were screenshots from the internal video. Which is a no no. Or so I thought. :)

They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Fair enough but that is your opinion at the end of the day. Everyone has different tastes and speaking to colleagues who were at the 1996 re-brand it took a lot, time to adapt to it

Yes, but the 1996 branding was distinctive and globally unique. It was challenging and it took me a while to adapt to it. But it stood-out at any airport in the World and projected a strong brand. That's a good type of change, one that moves things forward.

This 2019 livery is just... bland and me-too. It's about saving money whilst pretending to be progressive. That's the wrong type of change, Gmail style change.

Shn99 wrote: »
    “Once or twice during the summer” is a laughable statement. Also let’s not forget back in 2015/2016 when there were services cancelled for a week or more. The excused such as “sick crew” “technical issue” are well past their sell-by date

If you're talking about the time they were down an aircraft due to DUO being damaged in Orlando, they will cancel the flights with the least passengers to disrupt the least amount of people which is generally Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shamrockj wrote: »
    If you're talking about the time they were down an aircraft due to DUO being damaged in Orlando, they will cancel the flights with the least passengers to disrupt the least amount of people which is generally Shannon.

We know this.

However, with this technique Shannon recieves a disproportionately large amount of cancellations, which makes it very unattractive compared to other airlines who manage to avoid such fleet problems.

This has been discussed countless times before, I feel that if we don't already know these facts then it's not a discussion we should be having, it should be memory retention seminars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Some early clues?

That reminds me of BA attempt to refresh the flag about 20 years ago with the floaty Union Jack and other flags on the tail to show them as the world's favourite airline.

As for Eurowhite. Cheap and cheerful. Seems to be what most companies aim for these days.

I'll wait for the grand reveal but I'm not hopeful at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

They seemed to have their act together the year they had the all white social jet.

A 20 year old frame sitting in the desert somewhere with an all economy configuration can’t be that hard to find to plug a gap during the summer.

Last summer's cancellation issues weren't fleet based though, rather a shortage of pilots willing to work days off due to pilot numbers required being grossly misestimated/cutting staffing to the bone based on reports and newspaper articles. An extra A330 in the fleet wouldn't have averted last summers issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

757 livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Which will probably never get painted on to one considering how soon they'll be gone!

The AA rebrand also required renders for safety cards, inflight magazines etc for types that were being retired, MD80 for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

New logo type is okay, but a bit indistinct. New shamrock is better than the existing one, but it's still poor.

The 80s/early 90s shamrock is still the best rendition of that logo, it's a shame they can't just clean up the rendering of it a bit, adjust the spacing to work in a more modern context (for the web at small sizes, etc):

th?id=OIP.CoeS_iuAuUQnRLk1jXX6TwHaFZ&pid=Api

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

757 livery.

Not actually so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

The tail fine... (Guess I'm coming around a bit). Blue/green is nice. Shamrock will take time to get used to. Font looks good 'on print' but weird on fuselage... Would it be better underneath the windows... Looks squashed?

Anywho... Keep'em coming... Drooling to see a real frame in real light. There is still SOOOO much white... Name/Logo needs to take up more room... Hmmmm.

I think this new livery will look great on smaller aircraft like the ATR and A320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Nice to see the 757s getting the livery, strange that theyre getting painted as theyre supposed to be leaving next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Just a query here for anyone in the know, ASL and Stobart own and operate planes which have the current EI livery.

If their current stock in EI livery gets the new livery, who pays for it ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kub wrote: »
    Just a query here for anyone in the know, ASL and Stobart own and operate planes which have the current EI livery.

If their current stock in EI livery gets the new livery, who pays for it ?

Prob lined up for scheduled repaint.
    In Irish Times the other day it said it would take 2 years to completely paint the fleet. Article said the new livery would only add €2m to the budget.

As for B757. IAG statement last November I think showed 3 of them in service until 2020.

757 livery.
    Actually not too bad, I'm warming to the font and the shamrock now I've seen it more clearly and how it's intended to be used in print media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nice to see the 757s getting the livery, strange that theyre getting painted as theyre supposed to be leaving next year.

I seriously doubt they'll get it. You update all printed material to the new brand regardless of the outside of the plane

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think this new livery will look great on smaller aircraft like the ATR and A320

Was thinking the same it will look good on smaller aircraft but worse on the A330 because it's such a bit spare to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Is sick crew an act of god in terms of eu 261

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

adam88 wrote: »
    Is sick crew an act of god in terms of eu 261

No, because it is a foreseeable event and the airline should have contingency in place. In the UK the court case that established this was Davies versus British Airways.

The exception is when a flight is diverted due to aircrew sickness in-flight. Or perhaps if the entire airline staff was stricken by ebola.

Are the new uniforms going to be presented tomorrow along with the new livery/brand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Locker10a wrote: »
    Are the new uniforms going to be presented tomorrow along with the new livery/brand ?

No. A while away just yet. There may be a prototype / mock up used though.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭NH2013

EI-CVA flying from SNN to DUB tomorrow, expected to land between 12:30-12:50 in the new livery, to join the Hangar 6 event at 13:00 from what I've heard. First chance to get glimpse of the new livery in flight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement