Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Has it got to do with the ACT's or someone decided that the container system was too heavy. We had to make this decision with A320's, installed ACT's but opted out of the loading system as it weighed 600 kgs, also opted out of individual seat entertainment for the same weight reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

smurfjed wrote: »
    Has it got to do with the ACT's or someone decided that the container system was too heavy. We had to make this decision with A320's, installed ACT's but opted out of the loading system as it weighed 600 kgs, also opted out of individual seat entertainment for the same weight reason.

Weight savings would be a benefit of it, but it’s mainly that you lose space with the fixed walls of the containers so they’re not as suitable anymore. You’ll just never get a container 100% full, there’ll always be gaps at the sides, the top, etc. With bulk loading a good crew will play Tetris and utilise every inch of space possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

As the a321LR has a full TA biz cabin, it's total seat count is the almost the same as the smaller a320, so there should be plenty of space for the baggage/containers, right? Cargo space may be limited though, but I sit in the cabin so don't know the math of the lower deck.

I'd get the concerns if it were an LCC layout of 220-240 economy seats, as per euro-a321ceo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

sherology wrote: »
    As the a321LR has a full TA biz cabin, it's total seat count is the almost the same as the smaller a320, so there should be plenty of space for the baggage/containers, right? Cargo space may be limited though, but I sit in the cabin so don't know the math of the lower deck.

I'd get the concerns if it were an LCC layout of 220-240 economy seats, as per euro-a321ceo.

Cargo space is apparently limited slightly on the LR because of the centre tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

sherology wrote: »

By installing ACTs you lose 3 container positions at 159 ft^3 each, that’s a lot of volume. Airbus recommends that a 180 seat A321LR requires 9 containers, but only 7 are available, so bulk-loading makes up the difference.

Don’t forget the majority of people transatlantic are bringing a bag (up to 3 bags are included in J), unlike cabin baggage only folks on euro trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Delayed delivery of Aer Lingus aircraft to impact thousands of passengers
    Aircraft delays have forced the airline to postpone a new Montreal service and reduce summer flights

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/delayed-delivery-of-aer-lingus-aircraft-to-impact-thousands-of-passengers-37876736.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Oh that’s not good. How bad is the delay?
    Not starting Montreal till S20 is a shocking delay. Wasn’t it due to start in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Good old Airbus...

Although no specific reason is given for the delay I can only assume it’s due to Airbus’ ongoing issues with engines.

Pushing Montreal back to Summer 2020 is shocking and reducing the frequency on so many other routes in July 2019 is going to be painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There was me thinking have they pencilled in HiFly for July after Bussywussy first 2 weeks in June comment. Didn't expext this bombshell but going to be another costly summer. Question is could they have planned for it earlier.

YUL is going to cost, very high advanced bookings.

They need to cancel the remaining A321 schedules and hire somthing for the summer, we could be here again in May or June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I would have thought that (a) they knew about this 4-6 months ago and only releasing the information now and (b) would Airbus not have something laying around or 'know a guy' that could sort them out for a few months. Seems really shabby to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

jazuz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

(b) would Airbus not have something laying around or 'know a guy' that could sort them out for a few months. Seems really shabby to me.

A340s if anything. Insanely costly to run particularly when you were selling an A321 capacity

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    YUL is going to cost, very high advanced bookings.
    Possibly not as high as MSP though considering that’s staying. I’m guessing it was a choice between the two, keep YUL by shifting it to a 757 and delay MSP or keep MSP as planned and postpone YUL which is what they’ve gone for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Watch this space as another operator takes advantage of the route and any airport subsidy that was on the table. Another season is a long time in aviation. Opportunity could be missed.

L1011 wrote: »
    A340s if anything. Insanely costly to run particularly when you were selling an A321 capacity

But not if Airbus are footing the bill......

I guess they planned on 4xB757 and 2xA321 for the July schedule.
    So a 50% drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Consolidate JFK and bring in the HiFLY A380 and divert an A330 maybe? Would be nice.

basill wrote: »
    Watch this space as another operator takes advantage of the route and any airport subsidy that was on the table. Another season is a long time in aviation. Opportunity could be missed.
    Air Canada are already on the route. Apart from Westjet who else could take it up?

Norwegian? Would be a brave move on their part.

L1011 wrote: »

Again I would assume that contracts would be very detailed and Airbus would be compensating EI for the non delivery on promised slots.

What we are being told is probably .05% of the story.

theguzman wrote: »
    Consolidate JFK and bring in the HiFLY A380 and divert an A330 maybe? Would be nice.

Is there room in DUB for an A380?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Is there room in DUB for an A380?

Nope. Taxiways are too small/narrow for the A380. All signs would need to be relocated and an A380 suitable gate would need to be constructed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Would have thought Airbus/CFM/Lessor would be made to pay for a PVG 757 (or another operator) for the duration of the delays, or an OAE 762 on SNN-BOS again

Also, Aer Lingus will be long term leasing these aircraft from Air Lease Corp and not buying direct from Airbus so depending on the contractual details of the deal, any compensation or missed delivery payments will come from the lessor via Airbus and potentially via the engine manufacturer if it turns out to be an engine delay which is likely looking at their track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Was this only announced today...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

1 less A321 means:
    DUB-MSP 7 to 5
    DUB-PHL 7 to 5
    DUB-BDL 7 to 6
    SNN-JFK 6 to 4

Return in August at expense of YUL assuming an A321 arrives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Could another 757 be added to make up the shortfall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

theguzman wrote: »
    Could another 757 be added to make up the shortfall?

Doubtful, 757's are literally falling off the face of the earth. The last one manufactured is nearly 15 years old now.

757s are impossible to come by these days. It was difficult enough for ASL to find their fourth one for Aer Lingus service, that’s why they had to settle for an odd engine type.

Aer Lingus has obviously made the decision to cut its losses with the A321LR for this summer, long term sub leasing was probably going to be more expensive than altering the schedule. Anything lost via a reduced schedule can probably be covered via a compensation package to be negotiated or already dictated through the original order contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Was this only announced today...?

Yup officially,there was rumours the last few days about an unspecified delay to the 321s and GEY may not be getting its cabin refit either due slot space

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

The new cabin flex door arrangements on the a321neos and a new robotic riveting/floating production technique are not going as seemlessly as initially planned in Hamburg, coupled with the more customized cabin configurations the longer-range a321LR premium/economy/galley arrangements that are needed (Vs. More std. All economy a321s).

The engine makers are pretty much up to speed now.

One would have thought though, that with Norwegian dropping orders, Premeria going bankrupt etc. EI could have mopped up a few slots... Shows how backlogged it's all become.

• Advertisement

ohigg84 wrote: »
    A333 EI-EAV also came back from maintenance yesterday evening, from Perpignan.

What type of maintenance is done there?

I came home on -EAV last night and it looked like it needed a decent clean for a start. Headphone sockets were a bit dodgy and the seats looked like they needed a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

What type of maintenance is done there?

Not a lot,it only went for gear replacement....

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Sad to see a delay to Montreal and this year's expansion. Hopefully 2020 will make up for it.

It’ll be a shame if they can’t even get EI-GEY refitted. Another summer of that poor business product won’t sit well with passengers.

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Sad to see a delay to Montreal and this year's expansion. Hopefully 2020 will make up for it.
    An article over the last day or so about EI looking at 15 possible routes implied 2 new A330 due before Summer 2020. I assume EI have 2 new routes (or maybe 1 new route and daily SEA) earmarked for those wide bodies in 2020, Montreal and probably another narrowbody route will now join them.

Would be interesting to see what compensation EI get from the delayed delivery of A321LR. Might not be evident of course. virgin got A333s due to delays to the B787 program (and I think that was the source of the BA B773s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Currently sitting on an newly painted A320, over the wing, and just looked out the window.

Noticed the newly designed Shamrock on the door, the tail fin, and the white body, but when getting on the plane, but no shamrock inside the wingtip.

Slightly disappointed that I don't have my 'Instagram Moment' wingtips.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Currently sitting on an newly painted A320, over the wing, and just looked out the window.

Noticed the newly designed Shamrock on the door, the tail fin, and the white body, but when getting on the plane, but no shamrock inside the wingtip.

Ask for a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Mint Sauce wrote: »

A320s never had the shamrock on the inside wingtip though :confused:

The inside of the wingtip fence is a bit small for a logo - it isn't a sharklet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Kev11491 wrote: »

It would have to be a pretty small shamrock on the inside of an A320 winglet. If EI upgrade the A320s to sharklets (or buy new A320s) then I's expect to see one there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

It would have to be a pretty small shamrock on the inside of an A320 winglet. If EI upgrade the A320s to sharklets (or buy new A320s) then I's expect to see one there alright.

The ones they have at the moment aren’t eligible for retrofitting unfortunately, will more than likely be a shamrock on the A321LRs along with one on the engine you can see looking out the window like on the 757s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Shn99 wrote: »
    The ones they have at the moment aren’t eligible for retrofitting unfortunately, will more than likely be a shamrock on the A321LRs along with one on the engine you can see looking out the window like on the 757s

Only the CVx, DEx reg's, and A321's of course. The rest all are.

It takes some wing reinforcement though to retrofit sharklers into eligible A320s though doesn’t it? The additional weight on retro fitted A320s means the sharklet only comes into effect on longer sectors, 2hrs+ I believe so there’s never been much point from Aer Lingus’ point.

Obviously the A320neo series comes with them as standard and the wing is optimised for them in the first place.

There's two age/serial ranges of 320s that can be upgraded - one with extensive work, one with relatively little work

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Dose anyone know the time when ei-rji is back from Rome tomorrow ? With new aerlingus livery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

liiga wrote: »
    Dose anyone know the time when ei-rji is back from Rome tomorrow ? With new aerlingus livery

Was looking out for it yesterday in FR24 but didn’t see it, possibly delayed?

Kev11491 wrote: »

Thats true but I think its a bit cringworthy of EI to be extolling their new "instagram worthy" livery when it only on 17 out of 56 of the fleet. (A330s and B757s)
    Similarly the "welcoming shamrock" on the door of the aircraft can only be seen easily if the door is closed in front of the passengers.

Tenger wrote: »
    Similarly the "welcoming shamrock" on the door of the aircraft can only be seen easily if the door is closed in front of the passengers.

You can definitely see the shamrock on the door when it’s open, all Airbus doors and push and slide outwards meaning the outside of the door remains fully visible during boarding and is never obstructed from passenger view, even when an air bridge is being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Was looking out for it yesterday in FR24 but didn’t see it, possibly delayed?

Yep I would imagine so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

liiga wrote: »
    Yep I would imagine so

Par for the course with that aircraft!

You can definitely see the shamrock on the door when it’s open, all Airbus doors and push and slide outwards meaning the outside of the door remains fully visible during boarding and is never obstructed from passenger view, even when an air bridge is being used.

I’m not saying that’s it not visible but generally ppl look in front of them rather than 4-5ft to their left. I guess looking thru the cockpit window would allow them to see the door shamrock. Personally I think a shamrock right above the door or on the right hand left ‘lintel’ would be more readily apparent.

Unrelated, post n Facebook earlier showed a video snippet from the livery unveil with the EI fleet mngr confirming 2 new A330s in time for Summer 2020. Was already posted here though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement