Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

And they will be there for quite a while, as IAA grounding doesn’t allow ferry flights (I believe?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

EI-EDY in BOS had a new engine flown to it yesterday from DUB. Is it Often an engine goes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

vicwatson wrote: »
    EI-EDY in BOS had a new engine flown to it yesterday from DUB. Is it Often an engine goes?

It happens from time to time, what’s actually more likely is that flying in a new engine and changing it is quicker than fixing it down route. The goal is to have the plane back in the air as soon as possible and an engine change while a pain in the hole is often quicker and easier that diagnosing the fixing the problem!

Old engine will fly back to Dublin and be fixed and dangled on the wing of the next frame that needs a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

Out of curiosity in the case of this engine change in Boston would EI send over their own engineering team to carry out the change or would it be put into a hanger for on-site team to do it and would anyone know roughly speaking how long would it take to do the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Tenger wrote: »
    And they will be there for quite a while, as IAA grounding doesn’t allow ferry flights (I believe?)

Is there are current IAA AD in place?

I understood the original one was temporary and superseded by the EASA one currently in force as amended which allows for ferry flights - I certainly can't find an in force IAA AD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

EI flew over engineers to replace engine,the old engine will be shipped off to GE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

EI286 returning to Dub after turning back over Liverpool and flying at 10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

According to FR24 it landed at the Airways Ind Est and is taxiing across the M1/M50 slip road, hopefully just a glitch! At least the Air part is right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

GM228 wrote: »
    According to FR24 it landed at the Airways Ind Est and is taxiing across the M1/M50 slip road, hopefully just a glitch! At least the Air part is right :)

I notice FR24 routinely have the Avro’s showing a bit off of their location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

Citytech,it's at least once a week there's an air turn back or return to stand with them

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Sorry - yes, one rotation, the last flight. Can’t seem to find it now on mobile but thought it was in December when I saw it.

Found it, final rotation on a Saturday e.g tomorrow night.

Dub - CDG EI 528 operates by CityJet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

LCY is closed on Sat afternoons so makes sense to use the hull elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What are EI doing with the released 320 though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

L1011 wrote: »
    What are EI doing with the released 320 though?

Maintenance down time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Believe it operates a fourth Faro flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭HTCOne

GM228 wrote: »
    Is there are current IAA AD in place?

I understood the original one was temporary and superseded by the EASA one currently in force as amended which allows for ferry flights - I certainly can't find an in force IAA AD?

I’m not aware of anything IAA specific. The original EASA ruling allowed a single ferry flight consisting of no more than 2 legs I believe. This was then amended to allow unlimited test/ferry flights at flaps 1 (MCAS only activates in clean configuration) below FL210.

Germany however won’t allow the MAX into their airspace under any circumstances. I have no idea what our rules are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I am guessing that Summer 2020 will probably see the reintroduction by EI of early morning USA departures and daytimeish return(s). With the Norwegian news and the A321LRs coming on stream I would think it would be a no brainer for EI to add an early morning departure on its 2 core and shortest USA routes to improve and expand the route schedules especially now as a competitor bows up leading to presumably increased demand in the market.

It would also make sense in terms of the European AM strategy. If the Boston and New York aircraft are back by midnight they are there to operate early Amsterdam (0615) early Paris (0620 some days) or possibly early LHR (0630) as these earliest departures are just a bit too early to be scheduled with A321LRs returning on the earliest transatlantic flights which only seem to start after 5am following the A330 onslaught.

Still unclear as to how many A321LRs EI will have for the Summer 2020 peak?

Conor84 wrote: »
    I am guessing that Summer 2020 will probably see the reintroduction by EI of early morning USA departures and daytimeish return(s). With the Norwegian news and the A321LRs coming on stream I would think it would be a no brainer for EI to add an early morning departure on its 2 core and shortest USA routes to improve and expand the route schedules especially now as a competitor bows up leading to presumably increased demand in the market.

It would also make sense in terms of the European AM strategy. If the Boston and New York aircraft are back by midnight they are there to operate early Amsterdam (0615) early Paris (0620 some days) or possibly early LHR (0630) as these earliest departures are just a bit too early to be scheduled with A321LRs returning on the earliest transatlantic flights which only seem to start after 5am following the A330 onslaught.

Still unclear as to how many A321LRs EI will have for the Summer 2020 peak?

If the aircraft are to be back by midnight, they would have to leave Dublin at about 830/9 at the very latest? That’s too tight to get a run to AMS/CDG/LHR in. Or have I got my timings wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭john boye

Conor84 wrote: »

Surely they'd have to operate the next day's early Boston and New York flights?

The early flight option isn't a hugely efficient operation. No connections from the EU in either direction. You have 7-8 hours when you can't fly. That said running JFK gives you a maintenance window you can cycle frames through

The overnight from BDL arrives in plenty of time to run the 0730 to LHR, with planning you can have most of the A321 in Dublin by 6am so you can cover 1 LHR, 1 CDG and so on. This means you unblock several gates in T2 where TATL flights sit for hours or avoid a tow across the apron.

Over in SNN one of the A321's will make a LHR hop leaving the other in SNN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

When the full fleet has arrived and if they send them out of Dublin early enough and on the shorter hops such as Boston, Monteral and Hartford they could get a second evening flight out. 2 frames could operate 3 routes between them. Think Monteral was been scheduled for an evening departure around 20:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Some more new car smell for EI new A330-302 not a NEO like post says

https://www.facebook.com/519405411440390/posts/2381212885259624/?sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Jack1985

IE 222 wrote: »
    When the full fleet has arrived and if they send them out of Dublin early enough and on the shorter hops such as Boston, Monteral and Hartford they could get a second evening flight out. 2 frames could operate 3 routes between them. Think Monteral was been scheduled for an evening departure around 20:00.

It was scheduled as;

EI99 DUB1850-2050YUL 21N D
    EI98 YUL2220-0940DUB* 21N D

sjb25 wrote: »
    Some more new car smell for EI new A330-302 not a NEO like post says

https://www.facebook.com/519405411440390/posts/2381212885259624/?sfnsn=mo

Link doesnt work.
    EI currently have an A333 on the line in Toulouse and 2 A321LR in Hamburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The early flight option isn't a hugely efficient operation. No connections from the EU in either direction. You have 7-8 hours when you can't fly. That said running JFK gives you a maintenance window you can cycle frames through

The overnight from BDL arrives in plenty of time to run the 0730 to LHR, with planning you can have most of the A321 in Dublin by 6am so you can cover 1 LHR, 1 CDG and so on. This means you unblock several gates in T2 where TATL flights sit for hours or avoid a tow across the apron.

Over in SNN one of the A321's will make a LHR hop leaving the other in SNN

I think that you hit the nail on the head with the final line of the first paragraph. It facilitates maintenance which has far more limited options otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sherology

Has there been any fuel consumption numbers from the real-world EI-LRA route vs. the 757?

Are flight times/cruise speeds similar?

How are the crew adapting to the spaceflex galley (with the additional galley fixture)?

Any customer feedback - Collins seats, rear toilets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

Heard it is struggling to make BDL and may have to tech stop in winter when winds pick up. Fuel load is way below B757 so the beancounters are happy with it!

jucylucy wrote: »
    Heard it is struggling to make BDL and may have to tech stop in winter when winds pick up. Fuel load is way below B757 so the beancounters are happy with it!

You gotta be kidding!! Isn't it a 7hr route?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

sherology wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding!! Isn't it a 7hr route?

Considering TAP flies the same plane in a nearly identical config OPO-EWR which is nearly 300nmi longer that can't be real, unless they're not loading enough fuel to begin with.

Considering TAP flies the same plane in a nearly identical config OPO-EWR which is nearly 300nmi longer that can't be real, unless they're not loading enough fuel to begin with.

Perhaps they haven't loaded in all the ACT's yet (as they are removable and weigh 400kgs empty)... Can't see them needed in summer/fair-weather. Can't make myself believe this is true.... Dublin - east-coast is as close as you can fly... MAX can do this route... And it's technically less capable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

sherology wrote: »
    Perhaps they haven't loaded in all the ACT's yet (as they are removable and weigh 400kgs empty)... Can't see them needed in summer/fair-weather. Can't make myself believe this is true.... Dublin - east-coast is as close as you can fly... MAX can do this route... And it's technically less capable.

WOW Air flew the vanilla A321neo KEF-LAX at one stage, there's no way the A321LR can't reach BDL with winds, let alone the other routes it's planned for.

jucylucy wrote: »

I expect that someone has heard that DUB-MSP is questionable using the LR. This then got confused with the fact that it’s currently only operating to BDL.
    Usual 2+2=h among the EI rum our mill.

As for A321LR, don’t have any source for ‘real world’ figures.
    But official Airbus figures are 2200kgs per hour at Mach .76, 2400kgs at Mach .80.
    Apparently 20% cost efficiency over the ceo.

Versus the B757 it has 24% lower CASK.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

WOW Air flew the vanilla A321neo KEF-LAX at one stage, there's no way the A321LR can't reach BDL with winds, let alone the other routes it's planned for.

I believe that was a publicity stunt with a restricted load.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Feel sorry for the passengers on EI147 to San Fran, been sitting on 411 since 13:30 this afternoon. Seems EI-GAJ is having engine issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for the passengers on EI147 to San Fran, been sitting on 411 since 13:30 this afternoon. Seems EI-GAJ is having engine issue.

Yeah it’s 5 hours delayed so far with Pax onboard. Crew have already gone out of hours

Guess hard to cancel with pax already pre cleared.

EI-DUO aborted take off now, bit of a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah it’s 5 hours delayed so far with Pax onboard. Crew have already gone out of hours

Looks like it's still sitting there :eek:

Looks like it's still sitting there :eek:

Airborne and enroute

• Advertisement

Airborne and enroute

Ah jaysis.... 6 hours and 15 mins sitting on the tarmac, then a 10 hour flight! Poor passengers. They should be only a few hours out from SFO at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ah jaysis.... 6 hours and 15 mins sitting on the tarmac, then a 10 hour flight! Poor passengers. They should be only a few hours out from SFO at this stage!

€600 compensation for everyone on board though, I would imagine?

EI-143 sitting on stand waiting for new crew, 4 hours late so far

MJohnston wrote: »
    €600 compensation for everyone on board though, I would imagine?

Yeah should be alright, but i'm not sure if that adequately compensates your mental well-being :-)

I do that route a few times per year (currently living in SF Bay Area). The 10 hour flight with kids is tough enough, nevermind 6 sitting around, then another 10. There will be a few frazzled heads in SFO tonight!

EI 143 cancelled now after waiting 5 hours

Looks like they took the 143 crew to operate 147

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Yeah should be alright, but i'm not sure if that adequately compensates your mental well-being :-)

I do that route a few times per year (currently living in SF Bay Area). The 10 hour flight with kids is tough enough, nevermind 6 sitting around, then another 10. There will be a few frazzled heads in SFO tonight!

That's €100 an for watching movies...
    I'll take it...

That's €100 an for watching movies...
    I'll take it...

depends how you value your time I suppose. I'd rather be at the other end relaxing than still in the air :P

Nibs05 wrote: »
    EI-DUO aborted take off now, bit of a mess

It didn’t abort its takeoff.

It merely taxied on to the runway and off on to 34 to get back to its stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Could you not demand to get off after 3 hours? Could you not cite false arrest if they refuse to let you deplane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

By any chance does anybody know what aircraft will be flying the 105 to JFK tomorrow?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement