Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

€120 though, in my opinion, is more than worthwhile for the sheer hassle and time of getting down from Dublin. An overnight will cost a good €100 to €150... taxi or public transport to/from the hotel and back to the Aircoach... transport at the Cork end and the loss of an entire day.

Use the best flight route, within reason I reckon. For just me I put a premium of €150 on going to Dublin for a flight. ie: if the Cork flight is less than 150 more than Dublin, I'll go Cork for the sheer effort, time and ancillary expenses. Even driving and parking for a week is easily €100.

I'm scratching my head reading that reply. The OP has stated that the flights to DUB are €309 cheaper than to ORK. Aircoach leave every hour from DUB to Cork City and other companies on that route also, so hotel not necessary. Parking doesn't apply here.

Take away the cost of bus tickets and there is still a saving of over €270. Sure, it is inconvenient to have another 3.5 hours on a bus after a flight but we've all done worse than sit on a bus to earn less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    With the winter timetable coming up, I wonder will we see a ramp up in aircraft being painted in the new livery.

I know they plan to do them as needed but I think they said all done by end of 2021?

That’s 27 months and they have about 35 aircraft left to do.

Therd is a plan to do a good few,however with ageing fleet and base maintenance overruns it may not go exactly to plan.

In even better news,Rutter is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Therd is a plan to do a good few,however with ageing fleet and base maintenance overruns it may not go exactly to plan.

Is it still about 6 parked up during quiet periods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Gone gone? Left the company??

That’s very sudden and quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

All very suspicious. Some cleaning house going on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

OU812 wrote: »
    All very suspicious. Some cleaning house going on??

Surly the A321 issues are a major factor.

How he was hired given the track record at Flybe was always questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Apparently he had some not very complementary things to say about EI pilots during the week.

• Advertisement

Apparently he had some not very complementary things to say about EI pilots during the week.

I heard something bad was said too but didn't know it was him,good riddance

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

And american express even more alarming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Good.

Some of the internal video messages to staff he headed were abysmal. I never understood why he appeared to be ‘face’ of management.

Good.

Some of the internal video messages to staff he headed were abysmal. I never understood why he appeared to be ‘face’ of management.

Probably to give the staff a giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

What are the a321 issues referred to - out of curiousity?

In general, Rutter certainly appeared degrading/abrasive in his tone the odd time I saw him presenting/discussing the company, and rather 'self-complimentary' - success is 'team' generated, not individual... No harm to kick him out regardless of any other reason... You get more bees with honey - within reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

God bless them having to wait to imply it wasn’t related to last December..

Respect towards him was floored since then.

• Advertisement

Jack1985 wrote: »
    God bless them having to wait to imply it wasn’t related to last December..

Respect towards him was floored since then.

And crew refusing to sell the indo was another beaut,that's gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

And crew refusing to sell the indo was another beaut,that's gone too

What happened in December..?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sherology wrote: »
    In general, Rutter certainly appeared degrading/abrasive in his tone the odd time I saw him presenting/discussing the company, and rather 'self-complimentary' - success is 'team' generated, not individual... No harm to kick him out regardless of any other reason... You get more bees with honey - within reason).

One thing I am aware of is that Rutter fired the previous long standing head of marketing. This was the guy who in 2011/2012, got (the then CEO) Mueller to sign off on Business class cabin revamp, installation of wifi on A330s, revamp of the business class service, lounges in JFK and BOS, new signage for Gold Circle checkin.
    All things that Rutter seemed to take credit for in the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Good.

Yeah my dad works for EI in flight ops.

Rutter was responsible for the outsourcing of services, so he will not be missed by a lot of staff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Will Ei-DEI get new irfu livery in the coming weeks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Rutter was responsible for the outsourcing of services, so he will not be missed by a lot of staff..

Im told (anecdotally from cabin crew) that he expected that they would have been able to force the cabin crew to clean the planes on turnarounds. (Im not sure when they would have gotten the time to do so)

liiga wrote: »
    Will Ei-DEI get new irfu livery in the coming weeks

It's in progress,players currently being removed,it looks better with no players on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It's in progress,players currently being removed,it looks better with no players on it

Do we know if the team will be departing on it on Wed or is it scheduled to be finished after that?

Rumour has it that the whole thing had to be redone after Joe named the team the other day, they had to repaint the whole fin when Toner was dropped...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like EI-DEI is done, new faces but still the old shamrock and logo.

Would have been nice to see the design updated into the new corporate colours, the teal and vibrant green would look great but I’m sure it would have been an expensive process.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

As far as I'm aware the base plane is fully painted in the colours with the players/logos being essentially vinyl stickers, so it wouldn't be too much of a job (relative to a full repaint) to change them out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

Jamie2k9 wrote:

Where's this coming from? What sort of issues are they having with the A321?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just booked Aerspace for a tenner *less* than Saver - is there some opening offer I completely missed and happened to fall across?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Will the Irish Rugby Team travel to Japan on the Rugby Liveried Aer Lingus A320? Where will it stopover and refuel and I'd hate to spend the 10-12 hours in such a short haul cramped environment if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

theguzman wrote: »
    Will the Irish Rugby Team travel to Japan on the Rugby Liveried Aer Lingus A320? Where will it stopover and refuel and I'd hate to spend the 10-12 hours in such a short haul cramped environment if so.

No, They'll fly with Aer Lingus to Heathrow and connect with Japan Airlines direct to Tokyo Haneda, I believe they'll be on JAL44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Why would you ever think that was even remotely going to happen?

No team would be put through that kind of hell.

As per above they are flying on a long haul scheduled flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

L1011 wrote: »
    Just booked Aerspace for a tenner *less* than Saver - is there some opening offer I completely missed and happened to fall across?

AerSpace seems to be a set price on most flights, with other fares varying. At least that's what it looked like when I was booking LHR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AerSpace seems to be a set price on most flights, with other fares varying. At least that's what it looked like when I was booking LHR

Its normally similar to the old full undiscounted fare; this wasn't though.

If its a pricing error they've confirmed and taken my money, sent my lounge pass on etc so would be quite difficult to refuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

L1011 wrote: »
    Its normally similar to the old full undiscounted fare; this wasn't though.

If its a pricing error they've confirmed and taken my money, sent my lounge pass on etc so would be quite difficult to refuse.

I booked LHR-SNN return at peak Christmas travel for £260 return in Aerspace. It was considerably cheaper than non Aerspace and had "1 seat available" for both. Now the fare is near £600!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's definitely a pricing error so.

The algo might not be programmed to adjust to demand so may be manually set right now (pure speculation on my behalf).

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

cson wrote: »
    That's definitely a pricing error so.

The algo might not be programmed to adjust to demand so may be manually set right now (pure speculation on my behalf).

Someone is gonna get their digital-fingers slapped. Does seem like they've been left off the pricing algo.

Do we know what happens if there are more than '4' transfer passengers (taking AwrSpace seats)? Will they just expand the rows and move priority folks? 1-row seems pretty small/inflexible for first/second wave flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Why would you ever think that was even remotely going to happen?

No team would be put through that kind of hell.

As per above they are flying on a long haul scheduled flight.

I was thinking it because of the Rugby livery, but I was expecting an answer back of an EI A330 charter to Japan.

I was thinking it because of the Rugby livery, but I was expecting an answer back of an EI A330 charter to Japan.

Given that the summer schedule is in full operation still where would EI find a spare A330?

They don’t have spare aircraft.

That day is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

LXFlyer wrote: »

The notion of an A320 flying to Japan is utterly nonsensical - I can’t believe anyone would think it could be even be a runner. They’re marketing tools and that’s it.

Ridiculous yes but what I can't believe is how badly you seem to be taking it.

john boye wrote: »
    Ridiculous yes but what I can't believe is how badly you seem to be taking it.

I’ve edited my last post.

But to honest my reaction is based on being a rugby fan and on the Irish rugby team being professional sportsmen.

The IRFU are a professional outfit and they are going to send the team in the most comfortable manner that is affordable that delivers the team to Japan in the best condition possible.

That would not be through using a short haul aircraft with no onboard entertainment, minimal catering facilities, short haul seats, and with multiple stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

sherology wrote: »
    Someone is gonna get their digital-fingers slapped. Does seem like they've been left off the pricing algo.

Do we know what happens if there are more than '4' transfer passengers (taking AwrSpace seats)? Will they just expand the rows and move priority folks? 1-row seems pretty small/inflexible for first/second wave flights.

Probably operate similar to what BA do, they've an adjustable cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

When do the irish rugby team return to Ireland from Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

liiga wrote: »
    When do the irish rugby team return to Ireland from Japan

Hopefully after the final! :D

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to charter an A330 to bring the team to Japan...?
    This is the IRFU we're talking about not the FAI...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

To be fair I wouldn't have been shocked if EI had cancelled a flight or 2 6 months in advance and sent a 330 to HND/NRT.....or just moved a 757 from SNN to DUB to cover 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI are never going to send a A330 to JP, its just not worth it, as you would fly back empty and then empty back to JP to collect the team.

Planned in advance a A330-300 can take the team on a scheduled TATL flight, these things can be scheduled if known about months ahead, they found 2 A321's for the papal visit for 2 days.

They fly to LHR on one of the two liveried jets and fly with the host nations flag carrier to JP.

JAL are exceptional in economy so I'd expect business class to be outstanding. Far better than BA's offering for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

JAL are exceptional in economy so I'd expect business class to be outstanding. Far better than BA's offering for a start.

Wouldn’t be difficult in fairness! Although I believe J on their new A35Ks is a huge improvement. Hopefully it’ll be retrofitted to other types.

On another note, any ideas when the free wifi and booze is being launched in EI long haul Y? It was announced prior to summer season this year no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

AerSpace is set to be expanded I believe down as far as row six on some targeted flights. May also be some change from the complimentary offering in the bia menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Nice video of EI-EDY A330-300 air to air. Not a huge fan of the new livery on the A330 as it's so big but it does look well here https://youtu.be/We1bc1KhVLQ

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement