Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Was on LRA today from Heathrow. Felt very tight for space. I would not book this for trans Atlantic.

They have the same pitch as the 330, 320 and older 321's and an extra inch in width. Plus newer IFE and cabin, faster boarding and disembarkation. I'd have no problem flying it transatlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Could the same or similar seat pitch but when coupled with it being a narrow body, single aisle aircraft with a lower ceiling there is more of a cramped feeling to the whole experience...I’ve always liked the A321 as an aircraft but I have to say I wouldn’t enjoy being on one for six hours...it would feel very cramped very quickly...I can imagine too lots of people getting up, stretching their legs, going to talk to friends who are sat elsewhere as happens on ALL transatlantic flights...this on a narrow body single aisle aircraft is no good and will add to the cramped feeling..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

sully2010 wrote: »
    They have the same pitch as the 330, 320 and older 321's and an extra inch in width. Plus newer IFE and cabin, faster boarding and disembarkation. I'd have no problem flying it transatlantic.

The arm rest is like a little blade compared to the a330. I’m guessing that’s where the “extra inch” is from. The seat is also thinner and firmer without giving you any more leg room.

Don’t think boarding and disembarking is faster on a single aisle with limited overhead space. The a330 boards 4 seats per aisle with no shortage of bins. The door isn’t the pinch point, it’s people faffing with the bins.

Also the single set of toilets at the rear for such a long economy section must create some issues on trans Atlantic. At least there was space inside them unlike in the 737 Max.

Two of the crew were talking shop about the workload on the aircraft. A bit unprofessional and they seemed a little gruff and cranky in general. I’d just come off long haul BA so maybe I was a bit more conscious of it as their crew and service are noticeably polished.

One other noticeable thing is how quiet it is on takeoff. No engine roar even when seated behind the engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭sully2010

I flew the 757 and 737max transatlantic and found it completely fine. With the larger cabin on the 321, even better. Slept better as there were less people/cabin crew and noise than on the bigger birds and prefered the faster on and offboarding. I thought I would hate it but I never felt cramped and I preferred it to a 777 or air Transat 3-3-3 seating.
    Strumms wrote: »
    Could the same or similar seat pitch but when coupled with it being a narrow body, single aisle aircraft with a lower ceiling there is more of a cramped feeling to the whole experience...I’ve always liked the A321 as an aircraft but I have to say I wouldn’t enjoy being on one for six hours...it would feel very cramped very quickly...I can imagine too lots of people getting up, stretching their legs, going to talk to friends who are sat elsewhere as happens on ALL transatlantic flights...this on a narrow body single aisle aircraft is no good and will add to the cramped feeling..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Looks like EI-DEI 'Green Spirit' has had its player decals removed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Looks like EI-DEI 'Green Spirit' has had its player decals removed again.

It looked much better with them off tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Looks a bit bare if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Looks a bit bare if you ask me.

You must Hate the new colour scheme so

• Advertisement

adam88 wrote: »
    You must Hate the new colour scheme so

Out of interest, how did you arrive at that conclusion from a one line reply to a post about the aircraft with the IRFU livery...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I'd imagine because the IRFU livery has a bit more going on. If you think its bare looking then it stands to reason that you may think the new livery is also bare. Just my take on it

I'd imagine because the IRFU livery has a bit more going on. If you think its bare looking then it stands to reason that you may think the new livery is also bare. Just my take on it

No, after some initial misgivings I've actually grown quite fond of the minimalist look of the new livery.
    I just think the IRFU livery now looks a bit bare since they've removed the images of the players. I think the current IRFU livery might be seen as a little confusing to some people who might not be familiar with the branding or Irish rugby. I think they could have removed the players but replaced the images with some more generic rugby images which would have had the same impact but without over personalising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

Why were the decals removed, is it to change the players on it or is the aircraft being painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

EI321 wrote: »
    Why were the decals removed, is it to change the players on it or is the aircraft being painted?

I second that question... Did they not 'stick' properly? Assume they're an expensive addition (very)... Decals and the effort to add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

EI-LRC Due in tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Nibs05 wrote: »
    EI-LRC Due in tonight

Descending over the Irish Sea now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

Nibs05 wrote: »
    EI-LRC Due in tonight

Crossing the Irish Sea now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭liiga

Is it true Aerlingus are looking at the Thomas cook A330s

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

liiga wrote: »
    Is it true Aerlingus are looking at the Thomas cook A330s

At a guess I'd doubt it because Thomas Cook's 330's are all 200 series and EI are fazing their 200's out over next few years in place of all 300 models plus they don't have commonalitie when it comes to engines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I'd be surprised, the Thomas Cook fleet of A332s have an average of almost 16 years, they're also the completely wrong engine type.

If Aer Lingus want additional or replacement A330s, they'll get them fresh from Airbus or opt for younger second hand frames on competitive lease deals.

• Advertisement

Ok I just wonder was it true as I read it somewhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Karl8415 wrote: »
    At a guess I'd doubt it because Thomas Cook's 330's are all 200 series and EI are fazing their 200's out over next few years in place of all 300 models plus they don't have commonalitie when it comes to engines

cough *A330-800neo* cough

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Tenger wrote: »

If anything it would be -900neo I would imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

But what type of IFE will they have???? ;):confused::D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shamrockj wrote: »
    If anything it would be -900neo I would imagine?
    -800 would bridge the capacity gap from A321LR to A333. (168 vs 317)
    Allows them to tailor aircraft to demand on certain routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

They won't order the -800 for the same reason they're not ordering new -200s, the difference in operational cost is negligible, they only bought the -200s in the first place for range and now that we have the HGW -300s (or 900s if the time ever comes), it's not necessary.

The order books at Airbus tell you the exact same thing, there are 248 orders for the A330neo, only 10 are for the -800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

-800 is dead I think

There is effectively zero difference in cost in flying the -200 vs -300 (same crew costs), -300 can carry more people and more volume of cargo. EI has moved to -300 all Summer on SFO and still hasn't enough capacity.

The only direct hit is the ATC charge on weight.

EI owns several of its -200's so will fly them until they cannot fly anymore and part them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Here's a few pictures of business class (AerSpace) on the Aer Lingus A321neo from Dublin to LHR. The €150 fare was well worth it for the lie-flat seat. I wouldn't pay for it just for the normal blocked middle seat.
    The IFE selection was extremely limited, just a handful of Irish films/documentaries. The crew weren't proactive about the free food for AerSpace.

20191010-085436.jpg

20191010-082103.jpg

20191010-082138.jpg

20191010-082129.jpg

Annotation-2019-10-15-165224.jpg

'the crew weren't proactive about free food'... Do you mean they passed through as per usual euro-route, offering Bia, didn't charge, and kept going? Guess that's the dealio :)

Thanks for the info... Was it busy up front?

-800 is dead I think

There is effectively zero difference in cost in flying the -200 vs -300 (same crew costs), -300 can carry more people and more volume of cargo. EI has moved to -300 all Summer on SFO and still hasn't enough capacity.

The only direct hit is the ATC charge on weight.

EI owns several of its -200's so will fly them until they cannot fly anymore and part them out.

True. They'll use the -800 as the basis for a new MRTT, cargo etc. That said, a -900 based cargo derivative is being shopped to UPS/FedEx... Hence the 767-genx study going on right now at Boeing.

Anywho... The -800 is pretty much a -900, so doesn't cost AB much to have it 'developed and avIlAble' if a market appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

sherology wrote: »
    'the crew weren't proactive about free food'... Do you mean they passed through as per usual euro-route, offering Bia, didn't charge, and kept going? Guess that's the dealio :)

Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.
    Thanks for the info... Was it busy up front?

There were about 6 or 7 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Cant see that happening . As they have said before all new orders will be -300 as the cost difference is minimal to operate and they can now fly the -300 to the west coast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.

But like you say it’s not business class and no catering is provided, it’s essentially a seat upgrade with benefits attached. The onus is on you to select what you want from the buy on board

Some people won't eat at all.

I get comp breakfast at a major hotel chain, doesn't mean I go for the full spread, champagne, omelette etc every time

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes pretty much. I appreciate it's not full business class but some people just had drinks and they didn't ask if they wanted anything else.......
    Isnt AerSpace a drink and a snack? So not really much need to ask too many questions.
    And its a 45-50 minute flight so based on my time in EI, getting through the cabin quickly is a priority.

re -800neo. I understand the logic but part of me thinks it has its niche.
    Airbus claim it shares 99% commonality with the -900 so very little difference to develop or build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Is there any arguments for a dedicated cargo aircraft fleet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

IAG Cargo already exists and there used to be a 747-8f operated by GSS which was painted in full BA livery.

These days, the current passenger fleet of the IAG airlines has enough cargo space in the belly to handle the current cargo needs and anything extra is just wet leased.

There is very large airlines that have a cargo arm let alone medium sized ones. EI as a small carrier and that is what it is has zero reason to have one.

One of the main 'underfloor' benefits of the a330 are their large (and containerised) bellies... Similar for a320 series (excluding the LR, but including the XLR). Couple that with a lot of modern travelers taking only carry-on (encouraged by expensive bag fees), and you get a lot of belly space for no additional 'dedicated/single-fucntion' outlay.

A lot of expensive cargo airframes with Qatar/ethiad etc. were parked during recent recession's, and freighter sales are generally pretty low, likely for the reasons given. A lot of upfront money for a very uncertain/unpredictable market.

Sweating (or maximizing) assets and being risk adverse isn't a bad thing :)

• Advertisement

Is A321neo reg EI-LRD still coming this year
    Or is it held back for 2020

Based on frame number very late 2019 if lucky

Based on frame number very late 2019 if lucky

Ok thank you for let me know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

One of the main 'underfloor' benefits of the a330 are their large (and containerised) bellies... Similar for a320 series (excluding the LR, but including the XLR). Couple that with a lot of modern travelers taking only carry-on (encouraged by expensive bag fees), and you get a lot of belly space for no additional 'dedicated/single-fucntion' outlay.

A lot of expensive cargo airframes with Qatar/ethiad etc. were parked during recent recession's, and freighter sales are generally pretty low, likely for the reasons given. A lot of upfront money for a very uncertain/unpredictable market.

Sweating (or maximizing) assets and being risk adverse isn't a bad thing :)

So are the 321neoLR don’t take the standard containers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Strumms wrote: »

This is the crux of it. A barn with a kitchenette and a bed in it can have the same floor space as a high end mansion and can house you just as well, but no one in their right mind would move from a mansion to a barn.

The dual aisle setup feels more like a long-haul space, the second aisle generates the illusion of a huge amount more space than there actually is (for example if it was 4-4 vs 2-4-2 it would feel a hell of a lot smaller).

321LR are a fantastic aircraft and very capable for shorter TA routes. That doesn't mean I'd rather them to an A330, much the opposite. But most people don't care and three main things will continue to drive people to EI: price, service level and preclearance.
    Locker10a wrote: »

It takes LD3-45 whereas an A330 takes LD3. They are the standard for the A320 series but have a significantly smaller volume (and therefore cargo volume is less than a quarter of the A330)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The LR can take fewer of them too compared to a standard 321, due to the space taken up by the fuel tanks.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »

The LR uses cargo space (up to 4 containers) for add-in/removal able fuel tanks (heavy and take up a lot of space... But you get extra range).

The XLR has an integrated larger fuel tank (built in), that takes up the space of only 1-addition tank, so will allow more belly space. It is the true trucker, with the LR being a abit of a design-patch-job... Bit it does the job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When EI get XLRs they'll then have the option of removing the tanks from LRs, turning them into standard 321neos, and using them exclusively on Euro routes. The existing 321ceos are getting old and will have to be replaced within a few years.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

When EI get XLRs they'll then have the option of removing the tanks from LRs, turning them into standard 321neos, and using them exclusively on Euro routes. The existing 321ceos are getting old and will have to be replaced within a few years.

Yeah but the cabin would have to be refitted to take out the business class seats.

And they would need to activate the currently hidden full size exit door behind the wing for evac requirements if they densify. If AerSpace does well (and it could be winner on LHR/CDG/FRA) there may be a case to keep full J seating.

EI is leasing here so assume as a break clause in the future so could swap out to XLR for all. XLR is the better hull, you get more fuel and more hold volume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

And they would need to activate the currently hidden full size exit door behind the wing for evac requirements if they densify. If AerSpace does well (and it could be winner on LHR/CDG/FRA) there may be a case to keep full J seating.

EI is leasing here so assume as a break clause in the future so could swap out to XLR for all. XLR is the better hull, you get more fuel and more hold volume

Why didn’t they just get the xlr then in that case or was it a case the the LR are a stop gap until the xlr are available.

What have they done to the XLR that it has the extra range,,,, is it the same engine and same plane in terms of length and size ???

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement