Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A321ceo is still a key part of the fleet for holiday charters and busy days. Preferred for longer flights to minimise the accumulation of cycles.

I'd bet ops in EI are regretting getting rid of the first 3 at this stage, the remaining 3 are owned by EI so until they cannot fly anymore or it gets expensive to fix them up they will fly and fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the A321ceos get the new livery this winter. I think all three received the mood lighting last year, while not a massive investment, it does indicate that they’ll be sticking around for a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

A321ceo is still a key part of the fleet for holiday charters and busy days. Preferred for longer flights to minimise the accumulation of cycles.

I'd bet ops in EI are regretting getting rid of the first 3 at this stage, the remaining 3 are owned by EI so until they cannot fly anymore or it gets expensive to fix them up they will fly and fly.

What holiday charters? Canaries, Faro and Malaga etc are all scheduled flights.

The A321's spent the last month or so shuttling back and forward to Lapland and are now on the ski charters to Salzburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭john boye

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the A321ceos get the new livery this winter. I think all three received the mood lighting last year, while not a massive investment, it does indicate that they’ll be sticking around for a while at least.

Actually there's a thing, has anything been repainted since winter season started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tenger wrote: »
    They started alternating the A330/A321 a few weeks ago I think. Was posted here that the original plan was to put the A321LR on the DC route but it was switched due to lack of range.
    Would be interesting to hear the opinion on the experience.

The A321LRs are scheduled on EI118/119 (DC route) in the coming week per FlightRadar. Not sure if they've actually done a sector previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

cson wrote: »
    The A321LRs are scheduled on EI118/119 (DC route) in the coming week per FlightRadar. Not sure if they've actually done a sector previously.

They won't be serving IAD.

EI-LRC can, its got the 3rd tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI-LRC can, its got the 3rd tank

RA-RC have two ACT's, RD will arrive with 3 ACT's. The A321neoLR will not be serving IAD this Winter season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    Actually there's a thing, has anything been repainted since winter season started?

I think it's a bit too early. MX/Repaints generally happen Jan/Feb/March.

Tenger wrote: »
    I think it's a bit too early. MX/Repaints generally happen Jan/Feb/March.

There seems to be plenty of the fleet having MX work lately but I guess repaints are done more after Xmas like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

-GEY has been in Bordeaux since the 26th or November so they should have the new business class Seats fitted. Its down as doing EI139 DUB-BOS on the 9th and going by the seat map it has been updated too finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Shamrockj wrote: »
    -GEY has been in Bordeaux since the 26th or November so they should have the new business class Seats fitted. Its down as doing EI139 DUB-BOS on the 9th and going by the seat map it has been updated too finally!

I wonder has it been fitted with a cabin crew rest area too?

Which other 330 is scheduled for maintenance?

GCF was the first 330 to receive maintenance at BOD for the Winter schedule.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    They won't be serving IAD.

Range or capacity the reason?

Guessing the latter, as a relatively frequent user of the route they seem to have no problem filling an A332, load factors look like they've been 100%+ (i.e. oversold) the last couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

john boye wrote: »
    There seems to be plenty of the fleet having MX work lately but I guess repaints are done more after Xmas like you say.

They said all repainting would be done by the end of 2021. If you strip out the two 6 month high season blocks, that leaves 12 months to paint 30 odd aircraft, which would be 1 every 10 days or so within those windows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Only slightly off-topic but interesting to read a review of the new A321LR from the points guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-business-class-dub-phl/?navtid=More-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Graham wrote: »
    Only slightly off-topic but interesting to read a review of the new A321LR from the points guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-business-class-dub-phl/?navtid=More-3

Thanks for this. Awesome photos included.

The selfie in the toilet. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The selfie in the toilet. Cringe.

I’m more concerned that Aer lingus are serving norn iron tayto!

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Given that Tayto's main operation is in Ashbourne, Co Meath, I suspect they are not norn iron, but we won't get upset about it will we :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Given that Tayto's main operation is in Ashbourne, Co Meath, I suspect they are not norn iron, but we won't get upset about it will we :D
    :eek: Only a mod would dare such sacrilege! You are clearly an imposter from the Popular People's Front of Tandragee!

Free Staytos are in Ashbourne. The ones on the flight are the northern pretenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nordie Tayto terrible compared to Tayto.

Disappointing if EI have implemented such cost savings.

A lot of the European catering is sourced from NI.

Not sure what is going on, I've been served proper Tayto on European flights as recently as 26th December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A lot of the European catering is sourced from NI.

Not sure what is going on, I've been served proper Tayto on European flights as recently as 26th December.

Knew most sandwiches are from NI but yes I have been served real Tayto a in November on a Euro one. The Cadburys range is the Irish one still I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I’m more concerned by the headline: Pot of Gold!

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    They said all repainting would be done by the end of 2021. If you strip out the two 6 month high season blocks, that leaves 12 months to paint 30 odd aircraft, which would be 1 every 10 days or so within those windows.

Even allowing for any potential existing fleet withdrawals and new frames arriving that timeline seems very unrealistic given the small amount done so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Anyone know if AL are definitely going 10w DUB-SFO? And what is the proposed schedule?

jd wrote: »
    Anyone know if AL are definitely going 10w DUB-SFO? And what is the proposed schedule?

The summer schedule appears complete. It will remain at daily.

United have also announced a daily SFO service so it’s very unlikely Aer Lingus will ever go to 10 weekly now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

the united SFO run is timed to depart one hour before the EI service going west, and two hours before the EI service going east and it will be a 787-8 so 3-3-3 economy vs the EI 2-4-2.

a lot of corporate will be on that UA run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Will hopefully result in the Aer Lingus ticket prices for the West Coast dropping. Been a bit too high for a bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

trellheim wrote: »
    the united SFO run is timed to depart one hour before the EI service going west, and two hours before the EI service going east and it will be a 787-8 so 3-3-3 economy vs the EI 2-4-2.

Two hours earlier going east is probably less appealing for business travellers - with the EI service you can leave the city at around 2:30/3pm for your flight, meaning the flight day is still useful for fitting in meetings. If you’re leaving at 12:30/1pm instead, that extra day becomes far less useful. Also, it puts you on the flight even further away from “bedtime” compared to the EI schedule, so you’re less likely to be able to catch some sleep.

Of course, the conundrum with SF flights is that even if they were 2 hours *later* than the EI service, you’d still have to depart for the airport at pretty much the same time - the 101 at rush hour is an absolute disaster.

I think EI might have the most optimal service times for SFO-DUB sewn up actually. The outbound flight leaves late enough that you’ll have had a decent night’s sleep beforehand, letting you survive until nighttime PST when you arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

ET had a very late LAX-DUB coupled with a very early DUB-LAX. I never used either but i did like the fact that both directions would have given me a full day in CA.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    ET had a very late LAX-DUB coupled with a very early DUB-LAX. I never used either but i did like the fact that both directions would have given me a full day in CA.

I used it a few times mainly because you could usually get a return biz ticket for under 2k. There was no Monday flight so not much use for getting a full day and it meant a very early Sunday start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

trellheim wrote: »

I'm an infrequent user of EI-147/6 (twice a year). Outside of the timings of the announced UA service, would the 787-8 in a 3-3-3 configuration be more comfortable than the A330 fleet? Also would it provide a premium economy option that Aer Lingus have no current plans for on this route (as of December 2019)?

ciarsd wrote: »
    I'm an infrequent user of EI-147/6 (twice a year). Outside of the timings of the announced UA service, would the 787-8 in a 3-3-3 configuration be more comfortable than the A330 fleet? Also would it provide a premium economy option that Aer Lingus have no current plans for on this route (as of December 2019)?

I don't think it would be more comfortable in economy. Being in the 2 of a 2-4-2 layout is going to be better than a 3.

They don't currently have premium economy in the 787-8 but are starting to roll it out. They do have economy plus which is an economy seat with an extra 3 inches of legroom.

A330 width 5.64 m, 787-8 = 5.77 metres but you have to fit an extra person into that 13 cm (2-4-2) vs (3-3-3)

A330 is the best option in the long haul business, nice airy cabin and huge overhead storage

The 787 is fancy and clever but was designed as a 2+4+2 not 3+3+3, but most airlines pack in 9 abreast, but JAL don't and the difference is amazing.

Most carriers are moving the 777 to 10 abreast which turned an ok aircraft into horrible, the Boeing interior for the 787/777 is basic and outdated

A350 is wider again at 5.97m in 3+3+3 which is 33cm wider than A330 so that extra seat fits

• Advertisement

Given the option I’d always try and pick the A330 over the 787, it may not have the big windows or the curved overhead bins but the 2-4-2 layout is vastly superior in terms of comfort and perceived space.

When it comes down to it in economy, pretty much everything from food to entertainment is going to be a close match on most airlines so the choice is largely down to comfort and that’s where the A330 wins.

The 3-3-3 787 is a horrible experience.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

The seats are also quite uncomfortable and the multiple repetitive IFE ads (at least on the 787-10) which must be watched in full each time you play anything and can't be skipped are extremely annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

EI321 wrote: »
    The seats are also quite uncomfortable and the multiple repetitive IFE ads (at least on the 787-10) which must be watched in full each time you play anything and can't be skipped are extremely annoying.

You can drag the ad to the last second and skip it that way,it 100% worked for me recently

How so?

Primarily the fact you've got an extra person beside you no matter what compared to the 2 seaters in the A330. That's 1 more person that will disturb you/you need to disturb to go to the toilets etc. They feel way more cramped essentially. I've never really noticed any tangible benefit from the supposed higher cabin pressure. The windows also do not fully block out the light in my experience versus the traditional shades.

EI have the best transatlantic product for the price point imo. Virgin is a better Y experience but good luck getting a decent fare. The US3 if you have status and can select Main Cabin Extra/Economy+/Comfort+ would beat out EI (comp'd booze is nice), whilst BA are to be avoided at all costs. Sad to see the shambolic Y offerings BA are serving up these days, had the misfortune to travel on one of their A321neo's recently with the scandalously uncomfortable slimline recaros.

TL;DR = 3-3-3 in the 787 and 3-4-3 in the 777 is an abomination and a terrible place to spend a lot of hours in as Y pax. Do not travel BA Y class under any circumstances.

• Advertisement

AA (to PHL) and Air Canada both fly 330s to dublin across the pond as well I flew both last year and both were fine if you want to hub onwards

DL do 764's ex ATL/JFK/BOS which are nice too in the 2-3-2 configuration, pretty good product too - comp beer/wine/liquor in Y.

AA also run an A330 ex CLT.

Pretty sure everything else into Ireland is 777/787/757/A321neo in 3-4-3, 3-3-3 & 3-3 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Yah I don’t wish a 787 in a 3 3 3 on anyone

Was in PE with virgin and could look back into Y and my god people where on top of each other and fights between people due to how tight it was.

I was very lucky to have been in a 2 3 2 in PE for 12 hours

But for all the bemoaning of 2-4-2 or 3-4-3 or 10-10-10 the basic fact of the matter is people still travel with these companies.

It all comes down to how much can airlines lower the hard product until such time as the flying public stop giving them their business.

From what I can see, Aer Lingus, Ryanair and so many others can cut a lot more and people will still use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

Delta are moving their 3 Dublin routes to A330-300 this summer. The current 2-3-2 setup in the 767-400 is great but IFE is outdated and only a handful have been upgraded to the newer system so far.

They have by far the best transatlantic economy service from DUB in my opinion.

Aer Lingus are fine in economy when everything goes well but they seem to run the operation too tightly and have insufficient staffing in JFK, which shows when an aircraft goes tech or is delayed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement