Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

EI321 wrote: »
    They have by far the best transatlantic economy service from DUB in my opinion.

Agreed, they've really stepped up the service along with F&B on their flights. The A333 Comfort+ is nice place to be for a transatlantic hop. I think they're the only airline to comp spirits to all Y pax too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

But for all the bemoaning of 2-4-2 or 3-4-3 or 10-10-10 the basic fact of the matter is people still travel with these companies.

A lot of the time it’s because there is no reasonable alternative.

I have to be in AUH later this month. My choices were 3-3-3 in a 787, 3-4-3 in a 777 plus a ninety minute drive staring around 1:30am, or a connecting flight that cost considerably more.

The 3-3-3 was the least evil option.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just off a 777 and 787. The two seats are handy alright. At the end of the day though , I didn’t find any of them that uncomfortable. People are going to fly primarily based on price and time convenience. If it’s proper long haul, unless you have a kid flat bed , it’s not going to be the best experience regardless of configuration. Although flying on more modern aircraft is definitely nicer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Noxegon wrote: »
    A lot of the time it’s because there is no reasonable alternative.

I have to be in AUH later this month. My choices were 3-3-3 in a 787, 3-4-3 in a 777 plus a ninety minute drive staring around 1:30am, or a connecting flight that cost considerably more.

The 3-3-3 was the least evil option.

The vast majority of travellers have no idea what type of plane they're getting on, never mind the seating arrangement. They choose the cheapest airline, not the one with the most comfortable cabin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The vast majority of travellers have no idea what type of plane they're getting on, never mind the seating arrangement. They choose the cheapest airline, not the one with the most comfortable cabin.
    Yesh price and convenience, like flight times , will be by far the biggest factors. Also there was a total exaggeration here , with regards to 3 3 3 being unbearable. Like you are comparing traveling in an s class or a cinquecento!

One of my main preferences is just to fly in a newer plane...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Idbatterim wrote: »

Funnily enough I’d be the opposite! Obviously for long haul you want The most up-to-date IFE etc. but if you look at newer economy products they generally feature a more densified cabin, slimmer less padded seats, less toilets and poor legroom.
    Look at what BA are doing to their 777 and short haul fleet, be a bonus to get on the old stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gr123

What happened on ei101 today showing a massive delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Gr123 wrote: »
    What happened on ei101 today showing a massive delay?

Just departed, a total of 8 hours behind schedule!

I’m guessing it was a tech issue, it appeared on Flight Radar 24 on time which suggests it pushed back as scheduled but then remained on ground for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Just departed, a total of 8 hours behind schedule!

I’m guessing it was a tech issue, it appeared on Flight Radar 24 on time which suggests it pushed back as scheduled but then remained on ground for the rest of the day.

Presumably with the long delay a replacement crew would have been needed for the evening departure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Crew change required, issue was generators again with LRC. Pushed back and returned back on stand after engine start, then entered the hangar until roughly 8 this evening.

For a brand new aircraft, it’s already had two generator replacements and to have another issue with them will have EI fuming with Airbus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yesh price and convenience, like flight times , will be by far the biggest factors. Also there was a total exaggeration here , with regards to 3 3 3 being unbearable. Like you are comparing traveling in an s class or a cinquecento!

Newer Y configurations, particularly in the 787, are a a clear degradation of space/comfort compared to older configurations as Locker10a touched on below. DL 764 (most of them pushing 20+yrs) > UA/AA 787.
    Locker10a wrote: »
    Funnily enough I’d be the opposite! Obviously for long haul you want The most up-to-date IFE etc. but if you look at newer economy products they generally feature a more densified cabin, slimmer less padded seats, less toilets and poor legroom.
    Look at what BA are doing to their 777 and short haul fleet, be a bonus to get on the old stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

cson wrote: »
    Agreed, they've really stepped up the service along with F&B on their flights. The A333 Comfort+ is nice place to be for a transatlantic hop. I think they're the only airline to comp spirits to all Y pax too.

Never understood the logic on the free drinks thing. It's like harking back to an age when people got dressed up to get on flights. Delta definitely offer a classier product, but they'll charge you €100-€500 more than Aer Lingus/United for the privilege.

I'll pocket EI's cheaper flight and splurge the €6 on a Jameson with the savings, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Never understood the logic on the free drinks thing. It's like harking back to an age when people got dressed up to get on flights. Delta definitely offer a classier product, but they'll charge you €100-€500 more than Aer Lingus/United for the privilege.

DL are often cheaper than EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gr123

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Crew change required, issue was generators again with LRC. Pushed back and returned back on stand after engine start, then entered the hangar until roughly 8 this evening.

For a brand new aircraft, it’s already had two generator replacements and to have another issue with them will have EI fuming with Airbus.

I hope there is no further issues I'm flying out on 26th on one of these lol

Return EI100 cancelled. Likely a cancellation today for the 131/130 DUB-BDL-DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Eight hours and a hangar visit to replace an IDG/generator..?

Eight hours and a hangar visit to replace an IDG/generator..?

I don’t believe there was a replacement of any generator yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

DUB - PHL is cancelled today. PHL - DUB isn’t cancelled so presume LRC will position to PHL from EWR to operate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

at the quietest time of the year and theres no spare frame to do the run ?

• Advertisement

Having a spare aircraft one thing, having the crew to operate it is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

DUB - PHL is cancelled today. PHL - DUB isn’t cancelled so presume LRC will position to PHL from EWR to operate that.

PHL-DUB tonight is cancelled, according to the DAA website and Flightaware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

EchoIndia wrote: »
    PHL-DUB tonight is cancelled, according to the DAA website and Flightaware.

Just seen that, thanks. It wasnt this morning. LRC will position back to DUB tonight from EWR.

It's a little bit off topic, but I thought I would share this here as it may be of interest.

On EI104 earlier this week I learned that Aer Lingus does not allow the use of iPads during taxi/takeoff/landing. I thought this was in error, as I use my iPad on flights with other carriers all the time – but apparently not.

For my birthday this year I'd really love to see a standard set of rules applying to all airlines everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

trellheim wrote: »
    at the quietest time of the year and theres no spare frame to do the run ?

I think the 3 Neos fly every day across the Atlantic so there would be no spare neo currently.

I can see the reasoning behind it, take off is a critical time of flight and taxi has its own unique dangers and a sudden stop or violent impact is bad enough without a tablet device flying through the cabin.

Problem is consistency, Aer Lingus also prohibit the use of large, noise cancelling headphones for taxi and take off, presumably because the belief is passengers can’t hear instructions or what’s going on around them. Most major carriers have no issue with it. Same goes for hot drinks during boarding, prohibited by Aer Lingus for safety reasons but other airlines don’t bat an eyelid.

Aer Lingus itself isn’t consistent when following their own rules, it seems to differ from crew to crew.

Safety is important but Aer Lingus must be starting to sound like a bossy headteacher to some passengers; No hot drinks! No headphones! No iPads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Standard rule, anything bigger than a phone needs to be stowed. Aer Lingus are extremely diligent and consistent in applying the rules.

EI has been hit with a number of lawsuits over passengers suffering burns etc from hot liquid spills. Boarding is dangerous time, people moving around so a risk.

Big over ear headphones are the issue, if they are attached by a cord, they won't pull off your head if you need to get out quickly. There is also a need to get your body in tune with the noise level (just like why they dim the lights)

I've been shocked by the blind eye US airlines turn to practices outlawed by the IAA/EASA, bags under the seats at exit rows?

Standard rule, anything bigger than a phone needs to be stowed. Aer Lingus are extremely diligent and consistent in applying the rules.

It's not a standard rule though, it's an Aer Lingus one. I've just done some quick Googling, and some of the airlines that allow iPads include:

Delta: https://news.delta.com/delta-expand-use-portable-electronic-devices-below-10000-feet-international-flights

Ryanair: https://www.ryanair.com/fi/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/inflight1/can-i-use-an-electronic-item-onboard

Southwest: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/worth-the-wait-southwest-airlines-is-the-only-carrier-offering-gate-to-gate-wifi

I'd grumble far less about it if it wasn't necessary to stow everything for landing while we were still off the coast of Donegal a good thirty minutes prior to touchdown.
    Safety is important but Aer Lingus must be starting to sound like a bossy headteacher to some passengers

This. A thousand times this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

This. A thousand times this.

The noise-cancelling headphones ban with EI is very irritating the one time you really want the headphones.

In addition the inflight magazine makes no mention of any of the above so the cabin crew seem to be operating from a different set of procedures

Ref the IPAD as I have a keyboard on mine some cabin crew treat it as a pc and ask it be stowed so I just remove the keyboard and all is well

In addition the inflight magazine makes no mention of any of the above so the cabin crew seem to be operating from a different set of procedures

No, but it does mention Minidisc players — which I’m sure constitutes a boon to both people who still have one :)

FWIW, I‘m generally in favour of the prohibition on noise cancelling headphones during safety critical phases of flight; if there’s an emergency announcement you need to be able to hear it. It could be worse — Scoot (a Singaporean airline) bans headphones outright during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

I guess consistency will always be a pipe dream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

It could be worse — Scoot (a Singaporean airline) bans headphones outright during taxi, takeoff, and landing.

Scoot also don't allow you to consume your own food onboard!

• Advertisement

Also there was a total exaggeration here , with regards to 3 3 3 being unbearable.

Try spending eight hours next to someone with broad shoulders and see if that changes your view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Try spending eight hours next to someone with broad shoulders and see if that changes your view.

Agreed. The worst flight of my life was stuck between two larger gentleman with poor hygiene on the EK 3-4-3 layout. One armrest shared between us on either side. The 777 was designed for 9 abreast, the 10 abreast is very uncomfortable if the people either side are shall we say...... corpulent. Most 777 operators are retrofitting 10 abreast now unfortunately. Last I heard JAL and ANA were keeping 9 across but that may have changed.

The A330 was designed for 8 abreast but I believe Air Transat have 9 abreast fitted, as do many Asian airlines. I can't imagine that is much fun.

The noise-cancelling headphones ban with EI is very irritating the one time you really want the headphones.

Ref the IPAD as I have a keyboard on mine some cabin crew treat it as a pc and ask it be stowed so I just remove the keyboard and all is well

It’s an IAA ban not EI. Cabin Crew operate to the procedures required of them by the operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

FAA versus EASA. Then within the EASA rules there are individual state authorities interpretations of the safety rules. Some airlines will further mitigate safety and by implication try and stem the flow of claims by adopting even tighter rules. Common sense no? Or do you want higher ticket prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Any update on EI-GEY, did it get painted in the new livery while in Bordeaux? It’s due back this week right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Still in BOD

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭EI321

I'll pocket EI's cheaper flight and splurge the €6 on a Jameson with the savings, every time.

I flew DUB-JFK return 6x times in 2019, roughly every 6-8 weeks between Feb and Oct.. Delta was the cheapest direct option on 3 of those dates. United (to EWR) on one. Aer Lingus on one. I flew Lufthansa via FRA on the last but I think United had cheaper fares on that occasion.

Aer Lingus seems to be good value in the off season but usually the most expensive in the peak season. No idea why.

Aer Lingus seems to be good value in the off season but usually the most expensive in the peak season.

Agree with this too -fares are nuts for next August to where I’m looking.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Agree with this too -fares are nuts for next August to where I’m looking.

Yet they fill their flights with all due respect.

Update with Long Haul fleet;

B757:

LBT will operate its last revenue service tonight EI128 YYZ-DUB, it’ll then position as EIN2111 DUB-SNN 0740/0835 tomorrow morning.

EI-CJX then positions as EIN2110 SNN-DUB 0900/0955 to resume MSP operations from the 330 this will continue as DUB-MSP on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun and CJX will also operate DUB-ORD EI125 service on Tue, Thu, Sat all effective from tomorrow 06/01.

A332:

EI-DAA positions as EIN2506 DUB-BOD 1630/1915 tomorrow 06/01.

EI-GEY positions as EIN2505 BOD-DUB 1600/1645, Friday 10/01. Service resumption planned for EI109 Saturday 11/01.

A333:

EI-EDY positions as EIN2504 DUB-BOD 0615/0900 tomorrow 06/01 following its arrival tomorrow morning from JFK (EI104).

EI-FNG positions as EIN2990 DUB-AUH 0800/2000 tomorrow 06/01 following its arrival tomorrow morning from ORD (EI122).

All of course subject to change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I flew DUB-JFK return 6x times in 2019, roughly every 6-8 weeks between Feb and Oct.. Delta was the cheapest direct option on 3 of those dates. United (to EWR) on one. Aer Lingus on one. I flew Lufthansa via FRA on the last but I think United had cheaper fares on that occasion.

Aer Lingus seems to be good value in the off season but usually the most expensive in the peak season. No idea why.

Fair enough. I flew transatlantic sixteen times in 2019 (and similar amounts in 2016-2018, etc.) and I've only ever flown Delta if it wasn't coming out of my pocket. Might have something to do with onward connection prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I

Which would indicate they are fairly full and don't need to discount in peak season. Maybe IAG transfers, or maybe eagle eyed fliers/travel agents hoovering up cheaper seats early. Either way the airline is coining it on the NAT.

Yet they fill their flights with all due respect.

Yeah, it’s a healthy sign for their business.

Update with Long Haul fleet;

B757:

LBT will operate its last revenue service tonight EI128 YYZ-DUB, it’ll then position as EIN2111 DUB-SNN 0740/0835 tomorrow morning.

EI-CJX then positions as EIN2110 SNN-DUB 0900/0955 to resume MSP operations from the 330 this will continue as DUB-MSP on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun and CJX will also operate DUB-ORD EI125 service on Tue, Thu, Sat all effective from tomorrow 06/01.

A332:

EI-DAA positions as EIN2506 DUB-BOD 1630/1915 tomorrow 06/01.

EI-GEY positions as EIN2505 BOD-DUB 1600/1645, Friday 10/01. Service resumption planned for EI109 Saturday 11/01.

A333:

EI-EDY positions as EIN2504 DUB-BOD 0615/0900 tomorrow 06/01 following its arrival tomorrow morning from JFK (EI104).

EI-FNG positions as EIN2990 DUB-AUH 0800/2000 tomorrow 06/01 following its arrival tomorrow morning from ORD (EI122).

All of course subject to change!

Thanks - what is the diff between AUH and BOD from a maintenance point of view? Is certain things done at each or is it more likely it was due to slots?

Also the seat map for EI109 suggests EI-GEY now has the EI business class layout with 23 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It’s an IAA ban not EI. Cabin Crew operate to the procedures required of them by the operator.
    Yet it’s ok on Ryanair who are also under IAA rules. I remember these rules were amended by EASA a few years ago after the FAA changed them and most airlines in Europe changed to the new rules. Aer Lingus do indeed have the right to maintain stricter requirements however. I have noticed it being frustrating to certain passengers especially Americans who are used to the new relaxed rules.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Yet it’s ok on Ryanair who are also under IAA rules. I remember these rules were amended by EASA a few years ago after the FAA changed them and most airlines in Europe changed to the new rules. Aer Lingus do indeed have the right to maintain stricter requirements however. I have noticed it being frustrating to certain passengers especially Americans who are used to the new relaxed rules.

Being perfectly honest It's hilarious to see people ''get frustrated'' at being asked to put down a device for a period of minutes - for a small minority, It's like talking to children with temper tantrums. The vast majority have no issue in complying.

The mandated policies should not be different for any Irish airline, if it's being noticed as relaxed on FR its a breach of the SOP. For instance here's a piece regarding headphones prior to an FR safety demo;

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Thanks - what is the diff between AUH and BOD from a maintenance point of view? Is certain things done at each or is it more likely it was due to slots?

Also the seat map for EI109 suggests EI-GEY now has the EI business class layout with 23 seats.

Yes exactly, more A330s in the fleet so not all of the work can be handled in Bordeaux. A good deal was offered by EY, hence some A320 and A330 family going there.

Being perfectly honest It's hilarious to see people ''get frustrated'' at being asked to put down a device for a period of minutes - for a small minority, It's like talking to children with temper tantrums. The vast majority have no issue in complying.

The mandated policies should not be different for any Irish airline, if it's being noticed as relaxed on FR its a breach of the SOP. For instance here's a piece regarding headphones prior to an FR safety demo;

Yes. During the safety demo. That’s not the same as during taxi (unless taxiing during the safety demo) or takeoff and landing.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Yes. During the safety demo. That’s not the same as during taxi (unless taxiing during the safety demo) or takeoff and landing.

Headphones for example need to be removed for the Safety Demo and for Taxi, Take-off and Landing phases of flight - That is exactly the IAA requirement. Fact is devices such as iPads, Laptops and coats etc when dropped become a tripping hazard. The same with wired headphones.

The rules aren't there to p*ss you off, no crew member takes pleasure in having to argue with individuals to enforce it.

Headphones for example need to be removed for the Safety Demo and for Taxi, Take-off and Landing phases of flight - That is exactly the IAA requirement. Fact is devices such as iPads, Laptops and coats etc when dropped become a tripping hazard. The same with wired headphones.

The rules aren't there to p*ss you off, no crew member takes pleasure in having to argue with individuals to enforce it.

That’s interesting because it’s definitely not enforced outside of the safety demo on a certain IAA registered carrier. In fact there must be extremely few airlines with this rule still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I thought headphones had to be removed during takeoff/landing but earbud types could be used for all stages other than the demo, I could be wrong here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement