Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I only suggested one 757 and spitballed a 787 as a conversation starter, I doubt we'll see 767's as they are probably life limited at this point, BA have been short hauling a good number of them for years so cycle time is short. Most of their 767s are coke cans now.

Really something needs to be looked at as time and air frames are short.

Yep and you can't just stroll up and buy a plane and fly it home! EI are way behind for orders! They will be right at the back of the que for the A321NEO now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yep and you can't just stroll up and buy a plane and fly it home! EI are way behind for orders! They will be right at the back of the que for the A321NEO now :/

IAG has 150 or so options on A320 neo family aircraft; I'm sure that some of these can be firmed up for EI. The increased power of a larger group should play to their advantage. Securing a further generation of short haul Airbus use across 2 large, 1 med sized and 1 small Euro carriers should be attractive to Airbus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I only suggested one 757 and spitballed a 787 as a conversation starter, I doubt we'll see 767's as they are probably life limited at this point, BA have been short hauling a good number of them for years so cycle time is short. Most of their 767s are coke cans now.

Really something needs to be looked at as time and air frames are short.

Not aimed at you specifically but I can't see them switching form Airbus to Bowing, BA have plans for their aircraft orders. Out of all the IAG companies they all have Airbus fleets apart form BA long haul arm which is largely Boeing. (not included short haul as they are been phased out).

EI and IB couldn't really support dual fleet, the current 752 set up is only here because it suitable now, easy and cost effective.

Very true however EI lease a lot of aircraft and a huge amount of NEO orders are with leasing companies which can easily swap slots around if EI wanted.

Two Irish leasing companies have 140 A320 NEO so some may need homes in the future.

Always ways around and IAG have a lot of options which can be shared around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

From reading up on it the main difference between the 330neo and the 350-900 is range, they both carry similar pax but the 350 can go further and costs more.

With that in mind would the 330-900 not better suit EI as most of their LH is transatlantic?

Moot point now as they are locked into the 350 to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus already spent last year evaluating the A330neo as an alternative but still opted for the current order of A350s, firming them for delivery between 2018-2020, three frames per year I believe.

While the A330neo may seem like the perfect fit for the current Aer Lingus, the future Aer Lingus needs an aircraft that offers them growth and the A330neo comes with very little, if any, extra capacity whereas the A350 is a modest boost in capacity. In a way the A350 is a way to future proof the fleet, Christoph Mueller at one time stated the A350 was "too much" aircraft but that they could easily fill it on the like of JFK, BOS and ORD. These days their long haul business is in a much healthier state and I think every route currently operated by the A330 could comfortably upgrade to an A350 tomorrow if it was possible.

In terms of looking at new routes and the A350 being too much capacity, the 757 was described as a "pathfinder" for eventual A330 routes. The Aer Lingus of 2020 and beyond could be using A321neos and pathfinders and will still have a few A330s knocking about to start new routes not mature enough for the capacity jump of the A350.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    From reading up on it the main difference between the 330neo and the 350-900 is range, they both carry similar pax but the 350 can go further and costs more.

With that in mind would the 330-900 not better suit EI as most of their LH is transatlantic?

Moot point now as they are locked into the 350 to a certain extent.

The 330-900 is significantly smaller than the 350-900 - 3m shorter, 30cm narrower which adds up to quite a number of seats. There's also a few tonnes more cargo capacity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

From reading up on it the main difference between the 330neo and the 350-900 is range, they both carry similar pax but the 350 can go further and costs more...........
    While the A330neo is cheaper to purchase the A359 will carry approx 10% more pax at a lower cost per seat KM. (CASK in aviation mgmt speak)
    The A359R has derated engines which should be easier on maintainance in the long term as well.

EI had a comparison, assuming cost per seat KM on A332 was a notional figure of 100, A330neo 90 is and A359 is 83. This was in the EI Sept '14 update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Lots of speculation about ex IB 330s to join EIN fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Lots of speculation about ex IB 330s to join EIN fleet.
    Rumours about Concorde being re-activated as well.:D
    Sorry, not trying to be smart but the rumour mill is gone into overdrive, and that's what it is, rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    While the A330neo is cheaper to purchase the A359 will carry approx 10% more pax at a lower cost per seat KM. (CASK in aviation mgmt speak)
    The A359R has derated engines which should be easier on maintainance in the long term as well.

EI had a comparison, assuming cost per seat KM on A332 was a notional figure of 100, A330neo 90 is and A359 is 83. This was in the EI Sept '14 update.

thanks for the details...

i wonder with their recent success do they regret pushing delivery back? I guess if they really wanted to expand now they could lease in more 757's etc.

• Advertisement

thanks for the details...

i wonder with their recent success do they regret pushing delivery back? I guess if they really wanted to expand now they could lease in more 757's etc.

It would not of mattered, Airbus delayed the deliveries and EI have been compensated so a win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

roundymac wrote: »
    Rumours about Concorde being re-activated as well.:D
    Sorry, not trying to be smart but the rumour mill is gone into overdrive, and that's what it is, rumours.

Oh sorry for sharing such a malicious and unfounded rumour. I'll creep back into my shell

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

EI-SHN Could be returning,its currently 9m-xaa,can ya imagine the condition of it from air asia

EWR came back from air Asia also

L1011 wrote: »
    EWR came back from air Asia also

it was in air asia then some saudi crowd.horrible old craft

Bussywussy wrote: »
    EI-SHN Could be returning,its currently 9m-xaa,can ya imagine the condition of it from air asia

EI-SHN is a very early build A330, one of the -301 variants and those aircraft are weight restricted compared to the more recent -302E aircraft currently in the Aer Lingus fleet so it wouldn't be possible to install the current inflight entertainment system, wifi or possibly even the new Business Class.

Air Asia are currently flying the aircraft with a high density configuration, around 377 passengers with a horrible 3-3-3 economy and no inflight entertainment systems.

EI-EWR is pretty good condition from what I've seen in photos and reports, new seats, carpets and an updated entertainment system on larger HD screens. It's also wifi equipped so completely in line with the other A330s.

EI-EWR is pretty good condition from what I've seen in photos and reports, new seats, carpets and an updated entertainment system on larger HD screens. It's also wifi equipped so completely in line with the other A330s.

Never be fooled by a clean aircraft cabin and a paint job :) seen this for years with other airlines.

Never be fooled by a clean aircraft cabin and a paint job :) seen this for years with other airlines.

Agreed but either way 'EWR is bound to be in better condition and a more suitable fit for the fleet than EI-SHN will ever be at this point.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Do EI own SHN and EWR?

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Do EI own SHN and EWR?

Both leased

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Is it confirmed that EI-CPE is being retired?

TheFitz13 wrote: »

Don't believe so, 2 A319 will be departing soon been replaced by 2 A320 form Little Red while the third will likely be an addition to the fleet but yet to be decided.

If CPE was leaving I expect a A321 would replace it

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Don't believe so, 2 A319 will be departing soon been replaced by 2 A320 form Little Red while the third will likely be an addition to the fleet but yet to be decided.

If CPE was leaving I expect a A321 would replace it
    Any idea where the 2 A319 are heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

it was in air asia then some saudi crowd
    It wasnt with some Saudi crowd...... it stayed with Air Asia operating for some Saudi crowd.

Depends on if the other 2 A321s are being leased out for the winter,if not PE is being scrapped.

Any idea where the 2 A319 are heading?

Back to their lessors, after that who knows.

Depends on if the other 2 A321s are being leased out for the winter,if not PE is being scrapped.

If CPE is scrapped, then they're gonna need a replacement, spare EI aircraft seem to be scarce when needed so a reduction in the fleet also has to mean an addition, right?

If CPE is scrapped, then they're gonna need a replacement, spare EI aircraft seem to be scarce when needed so a reduction in the fleet also has to mean an addition, right?

DEI will be in IRFU colours,EZW,EZV will prob rejoin fleet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Do EI own CPE out right. I know it's an old aircraft but why scrap it, could they not sell it on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement