Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

It has a bit of a storied history; EI for the first 9 years of its life, then Air Batavia, then Air Asia X and finally back to EI from 2015. Assume the downturn in 2008/9 was the reason for storage/returning to lessor or sub-leasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

flange888 wrote: »
    I suspect EWR is leaving in due course

To be replaced in April by an ex-Qatar A333 (A7-AEH) which will become EI-EIK.

35753828626_6959afbe51_c.jpgA7-AEH A330 Qatar Airways by EI-GJB, on Flickr

Possibly a second leaving with a second ex Qatar 330 rumoured incoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EchoIndia wrote: »
    To be replaced in April by an ex-Qatar A333 (A7-AEH) which will become EI-EIK.

So just when we get EI-GEY upgraded will we now have a new jet with the Qatar business class seats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    So just when we get EI-GEY upgraded will we now have a new jet with the Qatar business class seats??

If it arrives in April and management are doing there jobs then you should be able to withdraw EWR and transfer J seats and add a few and have it in service early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I believe A7-AEH has a pretty decent business cabin. It’s in a 2-2-2 configuration but with a BE Diamond seat and fully flat so while still inferior to the current Aer Lingus product, it’s definitely a big step up from what EI-GEY came with.

Here’s a report from 2017;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828600-qatar-airways-a330-300-business-class-doha-maldives-youtube-clip.html

If the cabin is still the same, judging from the photos it’s not too bad and Aer Lingus could probably get away with keeping it for a while if they can’t immediately fit it with their own current product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Keep your eyes peeled across Aer Lingus social media platforms from 10am, new uniform launch will be covered live.

Best uniform to date for both men and women with many options, it looks very sleek.

I believe A7-AEH has a pretty decent business cabin. It’s in a 2-2-2 configuration but with a BE Diamond seat and fully flat so while still inferior to the current Aer Lingus product, it’s definitely a big step up from what EI-GEY came with.

Here’s a report from 2017;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828600-qatar-airways-a330-300-business-class-doha-maldives-youtube-clip.html

If the cabin is still the same, judging from the photos it’s not too bad and Aer Lingus could probably get away with keeping it for a while if they can’t immediately fit it with their own current product.

I guess though if the layout is different then they have less flexibility on where they can deploy it as they need to load it to a specific route, similar to how GEY mainly did IAD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cson wrote: »
    It has a bit of a storied history; EI for the first 9 years of its life, then Air Batavia, then Air Asia X and finally back to EI from 2015. Assume the downturn in 2008/9 was the reason for storage/returning to lessor or sub-leasing?

That's very interesting.

https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/a330-200-ei-ewr-aer-lingus/ropol3

Looking at the above would it always be the case if a frame did a similar back and forth journey that it would be re-registered with the same registration on its return to the former airline or another airline in the same State?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's very interesting.

https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/a330-200-ei-ewr-aer-lingus/ropol3

Looking at the above would it always be the case if a frame did a similar back and forth journey that it would be re-registered with the same registration on its return to the former airline or another airline in the same State?

I imagine a request to change the reg would be allowed, but it happens frequently with planes with long lease histories. The remaining 757, EI-CJX also took back its old reg that it received when first bought by GPA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

With the exception of special exceptions the IAA do not recycle registrations so the original should always be available as long as the frame it was assigned to exists.

The only 'reused' reg is the Aer Lingus IOLAR which is not the original but has been given the originals reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Jack1985 wrote: »
    GEY now expected back Monday returning as EIN2505 departing Bordeaux 16:00, arriving into Dublin at 16:45. No EIS planned as of yet as it’s subject to change.

Looks like it arrived in this evening.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Looks like it arrived in this evening.

And to YYZ tomorrow?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/EIGEY/history

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Interesting.
    Didnt realise flight aware had reg info the day before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Planned for EI109 this Saturday, won’t be operating tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Planned for EI109 this Saturday, won’t be operating tomorrow.

I was thinking it was a bit quick after coming back. Odd that FA had it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭zone 1

Has their been any talk of upgrade to the 320 fleet , or just keep going with what they have. or is the big focus on TA 321LR

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

zone 1 wrote: »
    Has their been any talk of upgrade to the 320 fleet , or just keep going with what they have. or is the big focus on TA 321LR

They’re still repainting the 320 and upgrading them to mood lighting so I think they’ll be around for a while yet. Probably be replaced on a frame for frame bases over the years with 320neos from the IAG pool

With 8 A321 NEO LR's coming an 4 A321 NEO XLR coming, most will do a single EU return flight each day as well which will release some pressure

SNN is getting Paris and Barcelona added thanks to the A321 NEO running BOS/JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

Can confirm -GEY has been refitted to the current business class seats. Its operating the 109 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Can confirm -GEY has been refitted to the current business class seats. Its operating the 109 today.

What seat type is in economy on GEY? Recaro?

And the newly arrived new -300s... Have they got green economy seats (per the a330s) or the new dual-grey/lime seat covers (per the new LRs)... That is... Are EI adopting the LRs styling into the new a330s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

With the exception of special exceptions the IAA do not recycle registrations so the original should always be available as long as the frame it was assigned to exists.

The only 'reused' reg is the Aer Lingus IOLAR which is not the original but has been given the originals reg.

I want EI-EIO reused

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Shamrockj

sherology wrote: »
    What seat type is in economy on GEY? Recaro?

And the newly arrived new -300s... Have they got green economy seats (per the a330s) or the new dual-grey/lime seat covers (per the new LRs)... That is... Are EI adopting the LRs styling into the new a330s?

I think GEY has the same ones that came with it and the fwd section that had business seats after doors 2 now has the older Aer Lingus ones like on -DAA/DUZ etc.

Not too sure about the new ones we shall see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I want EI-EIO reused

Would have looked great on the leased McDonnell Douglas MD-11 EI operated

some years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

Does anyone know if EI-DVM will get repainted into the new livery or keep the retro livery?

It seems to be next into the paint shop in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Does anyone know if EI-DVM will get repainted into the new livery or keep the retro livery?

It seems to be next into the paint shop in Shannon.

Hope it gets its nose cone repainted black!

I don't think it will get the new livery!

EI-DVK flew back to Dublin today after a week or so in Shannon - did it get repainted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Was there any talk of having a spare A3XX this summer? Like -FCC a few years back.

Was there any talk of having a spare A3XX this summer? Like -FCC a few years back.

Doubt it with the new 321LRs covering some Euro rotations I guess that has provided slack in the fleet

EI-DVM was starting to look very grubby, I hope it gets to keep the retro livery but I'm doubtful, most are saying it will be standard colours.

The 85th anniversary is just around the corner, a chance for a new retro to appear.

• Advertisement

The 85th anniversary is just around the corner, a chance for a new retro to appear.
    Hope so

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PeasantHater

A330-302 A7-AEH reportedly moving to Aer Lingus in April 2020 as EI-EIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

A330-302 A7-AEH reportedly moving to Aer Lingus in April 2020 as EI-EIK.

Aye, reported here earlier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Karl8415

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Aye, reported here earlier ;)
    Any idea if that 330 is 233 or 242 MTOW, I know both EIM/EIN are 242T

Its a 2006 hull so it won't be a HGW as they only became available in 2015

GAJ/GCF/EIM/EIN are all HGW 242 with the crew rest module fitted and are registered as 242T and have 4 seats less vs the A330-300 233T fleet. Thats enough to cover SEA/SFO/LAX.

FNG/FNH are most likely built as HGW 242 hulls but are registered as 233T hull as they don't have crew rest so no point in paying the extra ATC fees as they don't fly far enough to need the weight.

Head of Social at Aer Lingus has said that EI-DVM will be retaining its retro livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Head of Social at Aer Lingus has said that EI-DVM will be retaining its retro livery.

I was hoping they'd paint it in the correct retro livery this time, ie green stripes/lines instead of black.

HTCOne wrote: »
    I was hoping they'd paint it in the correct retro livery this time, ie green stripes/lines instead of black.

What part is black that shouldn’t be?

The cheat line down the fuselage and the stripes on the tail are a very dark green on the original 1960s livery but on the retro livery it's been painted too dark, almost black in appearance in most conditions.

It *is* green but a shade or two darker than it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

What part is black that shouldn’t be?

Aer-Lingus-B707.jpg

Basically everything that’s black on DVM except the nose cone should be green.

The cheat line down the fuselage and the stripes on the tail are a very dark green on the original 1960s livery but on the retro livery it's been painted too dark, almost black in appearance in most conditions.

It *is* green but a shade or two darker than it should be.

I agree the shade is far too muted. I also think the cheatline is too narrow when compared to how the original appeared on the types operated in the 1960s.

I agree the shade is far too muted. I also think the cheatline is too narrow when compared to how the original appeared on the types operated in the 1960s.

The narrow cheat line is largely down the design of the original livery following the window size. On the 737-200 the cheat line was painted about an inch above and an inch below the passenger windows, the same is recreated on the modern A320 but it has smaller windows and a taller, wider fuselage which means the overall appearance of the cheat line is much narrower.

So while they've stuck to the original cheat line design, it has actually had the opposite effect due the A320's shape.

The 1-11 broke the rules then, but looked the better for it.

44375501432_2f4b871ebf_b.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they used the 737 as a reference when designing how it would look on the A320.

25280993106_264517d3ff_c.jpg

EI-ASG 1111
    by David Fox Dublin, on Flickr

Do they not use the original paint codes when developing these so they match up ?

Is it a difference in film processing etc.

• Advertisement

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Hope it gets its nose cone repainted black!

I don't think it will get the new livery!

Just looking at photos of EI-DVM now.

It had a black nose cone in 2016, why would they have repainted it white?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9555347

Just looking at photos of EI-DVM now.

It had a black nose cone in 2016, why would they have repainted it white?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9555347

It’s had a replacement nose cone for the past few months, it’s white so not the original design.

With the repaint you can expect everything to be done as it was when delivered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

It's funny how much of headache some items involved in paint schemes can be, take for example the Engine inlet cowls that used to have the shamrock on the outboard side, the inlets themselves can be fitted l/h or r/h but because you only had a shamrock painted on one side you now had to have a l/h and r/h spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

flange888 wrote: »
    It's funny how much of headache some items involved in paint schemes can be, take for example the Engine inlet cowls that used to have the shamrock on the outboard side, the inlets themselves can be fitted l/h or r/h but because you only had a shamrock painted on one side you now had to have a l/h and r/h spare.
    The shamrocks are on both sides of the inlet cowls on some of the aircraft, I definitely remember noticing it on a flight..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

Yeah that's the reason why! Wasn't always the case.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement