Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

welcome to the future of AL lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Just a side note, aren't Vueling pioneering the 186 seat A320? I'm not even overly tall and I find 174 uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Locker10a wrote: »
    So does this essentially mean BA, Vueling, Iberia and EI will have the same seats, cabin layout/config and galleys and they will just paint the appropriate livery on the outside of the plane, and distribute as required ?

Those are cheap to change, it goes deeper to engines (EI already use the same as IB on A330) and other aircraft options, cockpit equipment, WIFI etc. Changing the seats around isn't a problem

Keeps the spares count down and saves on training for crews to be qualified for multiple variants of aircraft type

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

colbarr wrote: »
    I remember being told at the Aer Lingus Cadetship interview, by one of the pilots, that IAG are taking ALs 350 orders for BA and they were looking at 330neos for AL. That was back in October, so things may have changed since then.

This was the rumour during the takeover process. "IAG just want EI's LHR slots and A350's".............1.4Bn is a lot just to get these IMO.

The IAG capital market presentation in Oct(?) showed that the A350 was planned for all 3 airlines (BA,IB,EI) and that IAG wanted to standardise the A330 spec across IB and EI.

As for the A330NEO, well EI decided against that in favour of keeping the A350 order back in late 2014. (The same presentation stated that EI were "examining the A321LR proposal") AFAIK IAG have no A330neo orders currently in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

So does this essentially mean BA, Vueling, Iberia and EI will have the same seats, cabin layout/config and galleys and they will just paint the appropriate livery on the outside of the plane, and distribute as required ?

I think it's more to do with galleys, engines, avionics, optional extras, and other mechanical components.

British airways & Aer lingus already have the same seats (coincidentally).

Layout & seats would be different I would think. British airways passengers wouldn't be too impressed in a "vuelling configured" a320 with 180 non reclining, light weight seats.

I could see Aerlingus & Iberia being the only airlines in the group sharing an identical cabin. (For the a320 anyway)

• Advertisement

aviator7 wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with galleys, engines, avionics, optional extras, and other mechanical components. .....

Layout & seats would be different I would think. British airways passengers wouldn't be too impressed in a "vuelling configured" a320 with 180 non reclining, light weight seats.
    Cabin seating can be changed relatively quickly these days anyway.

Aer Lingus will be returning all A330-200's at end of leases (next few years), they'll be replaced with -300's. The -300's will have the range for LAX and SFO. This will give them extra seats for each route and growth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

aviator7 wrote: »
    I think it's more to do with galleys, engines, avionics, optional extras, and other mechanical components.

British airways & Aer lingus already have the same seats (coincidentally).

I could see Aerlingus & Iberia being the only airlines in the group sharing an identical cabin. (For the a320 anyway)

Aw yes ok this would make more sense!!
    BA and EI used to have the same seats but no longer do, BA have changed theirs and EI slightly altered the upholstery on theirs.
    I'd hope that all the individual airlines(In IAG) keep their own brand and character! It would be sad if they all ended up the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Aw yes ok this would make more sense!!
    BA and EI used to have the same seats but no longer do, BA have changed theirs and EI slightly altered the upholstery on theirs.
    I'd hope that all the individual airlines(In IAG) keep their own brand and character! It would be sad if they all ended up the same!
    From a logistics point of view it wouldn't be at all sad plus it would make things an awful lot easier if you wanted to move A/C around within the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

From a logistics point of view it wouldn't be at all sad plus it would make things an awful lot easier if you wanted to move A/C around within the group.

I currently harbor fantasies of IAG giving one or two of their A380s a lick of green paint and sending them over to DUB. Far fetched I know, but I like the thought of it :D

It's good operational sense to make the combined IAG fleet compatible with each other. If an IE plane goes tech, you could potentially get an IB or BA with the same configuration to fill in if no IE craft is available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Rawr wrote: »
    I currently harbor fantasies of IAG giving one or two of their A380s a lick of green paint and sending them over to DUB. Far fetched I know, but I like the thought of it :D

Even a 747-400 in AL green would be awesome looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Aer Lingus will be returning all A330-200's at end of leases (next few years), they'll be replaced with -300's. The -300's will have the range for LAX and SFO. This will give them extra seats for each route and growth.

Does that include -DUO? It's only 9 years old this year

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

River Song wrote: »

I assume so, its included in all.

They can be released you know.

River Song wrote: »

Yes ALL being returned for the extra seats on the -300. The newer -300 have increased range and cover the current length of EI's -200 routes plus more.

Yes ALL being returned for the extra seats on the -300. The newer -300 have increased range and cover the current length of EI's -200 routes plus more.

Indeed. -200 was originally purchased for the LAX route when the original -300's didn't have the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Be ages before that happens,they'll suddenly announce they'll need the aircraft when it comes to it.like LAX,CPE etc.

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Be ages before that happens,they'll suddenly announce they'll need the aircraft when it comes to it.like LAX,CPE etc.

Quite possibly but remember they have the ability to drawn down from the IAG order pool. As has been done for this years two A330's and next years two. Also their A350's are due for delivery in 2018. They have 7 A330/350's due in the next three years and two 757's at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Surely they could replace the -200s with the 242t -200, as a like for like replacement..

I much prefer the -200 ,it just looks a lot sleeker than the -300.

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Surely they could replace the -200s with the 242t -200, as a like for like replacement..

As I explained already twice, they are doing it for the increased number of seats to provide route growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why? They don't need the range of the normal -200 let alone the HGW, but they do need more seats.

Fleets are not constructed for spotters.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly but remember they have the ability to drawn down from the IAG order pool. As has been done for this years two A330's and next years two. Also their A350's are due for delivery in 2018. They have 7 A330/350's due in the next three years and two 757's at least.
    You got a source on 2x A330s in 2017?
    Or these 2 extra B757s?

I haven't seen any indication of deliveries in 2017, but I agree that IAG could allocate a delivery slot to EI.

Tenger wrote: »
    You got a source on 2x A330s in 2017?
    Or these 2 extra B757s?

I haven't seen any indication of deliveries in 2017, but I agree that IAG could allocate a delivery slot to EI.

Source for 757's is within ASL and they have their eyes on aircraft already. Now it might just be 1 more 757 at the moment it's hard to keep up with how many they are actually referring to. I must ask again.

Source for A330's brought the news of this years two. They will be from IAG's pool of aircraft orders. They intend to start more routes and two they are looking at very closely I'm told are Las Vegas and Beijing.

A different source VERY high up in the Irish Aviation industry has suggested that BA may base some of their own aircraft here next year. I'm not personally sure how realistic that is however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

L1011 wrote: »

Unfortunately :(

Source for 757's is within ASL and they have their eyes on aircraft already. Now it might just be 1 more 757 at the moment it's hard to keep up with how many they are actually referring to. I must ask again.

Source for A330's brought the news of this years two. They will be from IAG's pool of aircraft orders. They intend to start more routes and two they are looking at very closely I'm told are Las Vegas and Beijing.

A different source VERY high up in the Irish Aviation industry has suggested that BA may base some of their own aircraft here next year. I'm not personally sure how realistic that is however.

In your informed opinion do you think they will decide any plans to replace the 757s over the next 2-4 years? With the 321neo?
    What is likely to be pulled out of the IAG pool in terms of short haul replacement ?

Will we be getting any 330neos?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Will we be getting any 330neos?

Very Likely

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Very Likely

Timeframe?

L1011 wrote: »
    Why? They don't need the range of the normal -200 let alone the HGW, but they do need more seats.

No need to be smart about it. I only said I like the look of the -200s, over the -300s.

As I explained already twice, they are doing it for the increased number of seats to provide route growth.

Of course I understand that, but in the context of a future recession and slump in growth, perhaps it would be feasible to switch capacity from the -300 to the -200.

I know they are getting 2 -300s this year.

• Advertisement

Of course I understand that, but in the context of a future recession and slump in growth, perhaps it would be feasible to switch capacity from the -300 to the -200.

I know they are getting 2 -300s this year.

Businesses don't tend to plan their expansion around the next time there will be a slump! What if there isint a slump and they loose out to competitors because they don't have the capacity ?
    With improved efficiency if they don't fill the seats it's not as big of as loss

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement