Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I am sure the STK crews are happy to be working as opposed to sitting at home not getting paid like their IOM brethern!

I think the point was more would the EI unions allow jet flying on the regional brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

You’re saying Stobart have unilaterally stopped paying their crews in the IOM? I wasn’t aware that Stobart was a flight-pay only operation, I assumed they had salaries with yearly pay scales.

As Locker said STK crews get base salary and then sector pay. The crews in the IOM will still be paid basic salary but obviously if not flying they won’t get the sector pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I think the point was more would the EI unions allow jet flying on the regional brand.

Yes and no! There would need to be an agreement reached similar to the one for Cityjet and ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

ASL has flown DUB-LGW a few times on a 757 (ASL was wet lease so mainline EI cabin)
    CityJet do a BHX trip on the weekends, even a CDG from time to time

EI hasn't got the aircraft and none of the types flown by ASL, Stobart or CityJet are covered by the EI AOC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You’re saying Stobart have unilaterally stopped paying their crews in the IOM? I wasn’t aware that Stobart was a flight-pay only operation, I assumed they had salaries with yearly pay scales.

Youre right there, Its not but I do know the basic salary for cabin crew is very low. Then again, STK could just close the base and let go all the staff like they were doing or did last year after the FlyBe gig ended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ASL has flown DUB-LGW a few times on a 757 (ASL was wet lease so mainline EI cabin)
    CityJet do a BHX trip on the weekends, even a CDG from time to time

EI hasn't got the aircraft and none of the types flown by ASL, Stobart or CityJet are covered by the EI AOC

There’s an agreement where EI pilots are offered secondment in a command position on the outsourced flying, the routes as such don’t matter

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

On the news yesterday about EI offering unpaid leave or part-time to their staff. Looks like they are taking it pretty seriously.
    I wonder will those next 4 A321LRs be pushed back (if possible) and if we ever see that ex-Qatar A333?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

At the rate it's spreading, the aviation aspect might well be short lived.

I've a cruise booked in June with only €100 paid and may well still go. Final decision end of the month.

When it's everywhere, spreading rampantly, your chances are no higher or lower than when you stay put. May as well live life.

And unless you go to the developing world, the chances are the health system where you're headed will be better than here. Not being facetious either.

The last 4 A321NEOLR's were never coming soon be lucky to see them in Q4 2020 anyway.

The Qatar A330 is in Dublin

EI has the option to release other craft on lease or to park the A321CEO's + EI-LAX which they own outright so parking them isn't a cost.

EI was running pilot training on March 3/4 doing circuits at Shannon, which suggests final training of new recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Tenger wrote: »
    On the news yesterday about EI offering unpaid leave or part-time to their staff. Looks like they are taking it pretty seriously.
    I wonder will those next 4 A321LRs be pushed back (if possible) and if we ever see that ex-Qatar A333?

I would assume that there will be a vaccine by this time next year - maybe (if we're lucky) the upcoming winter, and as this winter fades into summer hopefully the current outbreak will subside somewhat, so whatever they need to do to keep a healthy staff and balance sheet should be done, and accepted by staff. Fleet wise... I think EI will end up being somewhat lucky that the LRs have been delayed - I've thought that a while really as expansion needs to be firmed in before further expansion is done or you become 'Norwegian', but they (LRs) will come and be useful if routes thin out, and perhaps the older 330-200s will be cut back early if need be. The newer -300s can go anywhere EI need them to. The new (old) qatar -300... Perhaps a better price is now possible if Qatar wants to offload it, but how necessary is it? I'm guessing it's pretty cheap as Qatar have quite a few of these parked right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Tenger wrote: »

Worth noting the offer of part-time or unpaid leave is only for ground staff at present.

I think the next batch of A321LRs were on the back burner long before this virus outbreak became an issue.

The ex-Qatar A333 is acting as a replacement frame for EI-EWR, it's already in Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Worth noting the offer of part-time or unpaid leave is only for ground staff at present.

I think the next batch of A321LRs were on the back burner long before this virus outbreak became an issue.

The ex-Qatar A333 is acting as a replacement frame for EI-EWR, it's already in Dublin.
    I’m well aware about the A321LRs, but am thinking they got a lucky break in a deferral before the need to defer. If you get my gist.

That replacement frame may not be needed if EI are going to contract.

As for unpaid leave, if it’s being offered to ground staff I’m 100% sure that a similar offer will be extended to flight/cabin crew very soon.
    Less ground staff = less flights = less crew required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Flight Operations and In Flight services employees recieved expressions of interest for unpaid leave today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Flight Operations and In Flight services employees recieved expressions of interest for unpaid leave today.

Pilots didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

basill wrote: »
    Pilots didn't.

Apologies you are correct, IFS being the biggest department its not as a suprise it was eventually offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Nope,engineers were offered it a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Aviation2K16

EI LRA positioned SNN DUB earlier empty. Will Aer Lingus start swapping them in LHR now instead? Would it be easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Anyone know why YyZ-Dub turned around back to Toronto after 4 hours. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Anyone know why YyZ-Dub turned around back to Toronto after 4 hours. Thanks

Mate on that flight said the pilot told them that they'd flew a route they didn't have clearance for so turned back. Kind of bizarre if you ask me.

ETOPS route, non ETOPS hull?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

EI-EWR so I don't think that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

EI-EWR so I don't think that's the case.
    Why do you say that? Maybe the crew didn’t do their ETOPS training on schedule, or the aircraft had an MEL that prevented them flying in the NAT-HLA.

Could have been non ETOPS for a reason and the crew realised they would go beyond the 60 minute limit, HF radio bust?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭useless

Not sure if posted here earlier but Aer Lingus are offering discounted business class fares to the US for March and April. JFK for 1499, ORD 1699, SFO1999 from recollection- there are others. Looks like they’re being hit hard by cancellations due to covid19-driven business travel bans.

Could have been non ETOPS for a reason and the crew realised they would go beyond the 60 minute limit, HF radio bust?

I can only imagine the 'guest' reaction to turning back 2-hrs from destination... Arrghhhh :(

It hasn't returned yet?

useless wrote: »
    Not sure if posted here earlier but Aer Lingus are offering discounted business class fares to the US for March and April. JFK for 1499, ORD 1699, SFO1999 from recollection- there are others. Looks like they’re being hit hard by cancellations due to covid19-driven business travel bans.

Corporates have pretty much banned virtually all interoffice travel, there's virtually no conferences anymore, so it's hunker-down time for airlines. They should target their AerClub customers to see if they can get them to burn some of their points during the quiet months ahead... And it will get quieter April and May as the west infection numbers surge like China did in winter (and China can force people to quarantine more than the west can so we may drift longer). I thought the fares were kinda high considering the downturn.

Nothing magical in the fares, I've paid the same 18 months ago to fly to JFK. Start advertising 999 return to IAD/NYC/BOS and then the fun starts

EI really needs to open up redemption space. All those avios are a drag on the IAG balance sheet

Finnair has opened up 500,000 extra seats for redemption today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

sherology wrote: »
    I can only imagine the 'guest' reaction to turning back 2-hrs from destination... Arrghhhh :(

It hasn't returned yet?

Crew presumably have to complete mandatory rest period.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I see EI-EDY has a white front engine 1 cowling currently. I guess they don’t keep spares painted in the teal yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Both engines on EI-EDY now have white cowlings, EI-CVA has one and even one of the Avro’s has one too.

I know it probably can’t be helped but it really looks awful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement