Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last A333 to be built ever also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Very interesting Aer Lingus news..........
    Nothing in the public sphere that I can see.
    I did see the warning from the BA CEO that aircraft will be grounded and staff laid off “perhaps for the short term”. He said this is worse than Sept 11th and the GFC of 2008.

If an IAG airline are saying that I guess EI will follow suit?
    Granted EI are less dependant on high yield business travel and are a leaner operation than Iberia or BA.

Personally I think this event will be more severe than 2008 but probably shorter. (As in 6-12 months versus several years)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

L1011 wrote: »
    Last A333 to be built ever also.

Almost, EI-EIN is the last A333 to be built.
    It is c/n 1951.

EIM is c/n 1950.

So they are sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Attention seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Tenger wrote: »
    I did see the warning from the BA CEO that aircraft will be grounded and staff laid off “perhaps for the short term”. He said this is worse than Sept 11th and the GFC of 2008.

Granted EI are less dependant on high yield business travel and are a leaner operation than Iberia or BA.

Personally I think this event will be more severe than 2008 but probably shorter. (As in 6-12 months versus several years)

EI have allowed passengers to change there flights so maybe it was this... And I moved my Toronto to Sept. Last LPA on 24th and then I'm parked until Fall.

I noticed Lufthansa group are consolidating their flights to US hubs and using United to interline passengers to their booked destination from next week - a much reduced schedule but maintaining a presence. As I mentioned a few days ago, I think EI will do this once folks have rebooked and rescheduled flights - thankfully they removed the fee, then fly those remaining flyers via JFK or BOS or ORD with a tuned schedule, interline them to finals, and suspend the rest of the network, then gradually rebuild it once we're over the hump. Hunker down time. Hope staff can job-share and keep working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

There really is no need to post something as vague as that during the current crisis.

All it does is spread fear, uncertainty and worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Aer Lingus still don’t allow you to change airports ie if you booked Madrid your stuck with Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

There really is no need to post something as vague as that during the current crisis.

All it does is spread fear, uncertainty and worry.

Categorically correct, ridiculous post.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Does anyone know what the loads to the US west coast are like these days? Interested in SFO and LAX, mostly.

I suppose it would have been fairly high the last two days to get in before the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

joeysoap wrote: »
    Aer Lingus still don’t allow you to change airports ie if you booked Madrid your stuck with Madrid.

Online only dates can be changed.

By phone any airport in the country is normally an option.

So DUB-MAD can be swapped to DUB-BCN, will EI honour the free change fee? I swapped a DUB-SFO-DUB to DUB-SFO/SEA-DUB over the phone in 5 minutes last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Sorry I should have put in a smiley face or a sarcastic emoji as I was sick of seeing non EI stuff and discussions about...whatever that was! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Peregrine wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the loads to the US west coast are like these days? Interested in SFO and LAX, mostly.

I suppose it would have been fairly high the last two days to get in before the ban.

Yesterdays 109 had 40 no shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

I see EI123 to ORD and EI137 to BOS haven’t departed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Nibs05 wrote: »
    I see EI123 to ORD and EI137 to BOS haven’t departed yet

I wouldn't be surprised if Preclearance is taking a little longer today with the new travel restrictions in force, could be down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

I wouldn't be surprised if Preclearance is taking a little longer today with the new travel restrictions in force, could be down to that.

Correct

All travellers to Spain asked to self isolate

https://www.newstalk.com/news/people-returning-from-spain-italy-must-self-isolate-harris-982435

What about the crew?

I was talking to an AL cabin crew member this morning

Not even supplied with gloves. Fair enough they are only taking cards but I thought she had a valid point about no service and minimum contact with passengers. Said she has two back - to - back Spain trips this week and was worried enough about them. To cap it all said was going to USA next week and was afraid if anything showed up ( from the Spanish trips) she would be ‘stuck’ there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sherology wrote: »
    EI to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote cancelled. Flying out to LPA on Tuesday. Are they pulling flights or transferring onto Ryanair (who have flights about the same times that are going/gone?

Cancellation is a cancellation.

I'd say wait and see, there's a good chance the situation will have changed immensely again by Tuesday.

Jet2 have cancelled all flights to Spain today, while they're a tour operation and hence all their flights are part of package holidays it makes more sense for them to cancel than traditional airlines, I'd say it's quite possible other airlines will follow suit.

However, the joys of all this new and evolving information is that nobody actually knows what's going to happen. Lots of questions, no answers.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Cancellation is a cancellation.

I'd say wait and see, there's a good chance the situation will have changed immensely again by Tuesday.

Jet2 have cancelled all flights to Spain today, while they're a tour operation and hence all their flights are part of package holidays it makes more sense for them to cancel than traditional airlines, I'd say it's quite possible other airlines will follow suit.

However, the joys of all this new and evolving information is that nobody actually knows what's going to happen. Lots of questions, no answers.

Just saw this on 'the' twitter:

Aer Lingus
    @AerLingus
    ·
    39m
    Replying to
    @gaelsno6
    Hi, apologies for the cancellation today, we'ave had to cancel due to ATC restrictions in Lanzarote.. Please visiit our website to rebook travel.

Weird... Looks like a bunch of flights there are cancelled or delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Sky News reporting that flight to the US from Ireland and UK will be included in the ban from Monday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Not sure how an airline like Aer Lingus can approach this.

Demand must already be at an all time low across the network, this ban would simply be the cherry on top and will likely result in temporary groundings, a massive reduction in the route profile and unfortunately, inevitable layoffs.

This isn't going to fix itself in the summer, long term damage has been done to the industry and being able to bounce back quickly will be the least of everyone's concerns. Make the cuts now, protect the balance sheet as best as possible and if it means becoming a smaller carrier, then so be it.

It's very quickly becoming about survival.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

What about the crew?

I was talking to an AL cabin crew member this morning

Not even supplied with gloves. Fair enough they are only taking cards but I thought she had a valid point about no service and minimum contact with passengers. Said she has two back - to - back Spain trips this week and was worried enough about them. To cap it all said was going to USA next week and was afraid if anything showed up ( from the Spanish trips) she would be ‘stuck’ there.
    Aer Lingus definitely have plastic/latex gloves available for crew. My missus’ new handbag has half a dozen “in case she forgets to collect when checking in”.

UK and IRL citizens banned from Monday night... So just US passengers can travel. Assume EI will drastically reduce flights from Monday and interline via main interline airports to final destination, then pull back almost totally.

Aer Lingus definitely have plastic/latex gloves available for crew. My missus’ new handbag has half a dozen “in case she forgets to collect when checking in”.

Remember, your skin is a virus/bacteria proof barrier. Gloves have zero use if you touch you mouth/face... It's just another 'skin'. Easier to sterilise an ungloved hand with alcohol after each touch event (door handles etc.). Touch transfer is the problem not the touch material. Use contactless payment if possible instead of chip and pin and money/change. Use eldbows if possible. Sterilise hands after each 'guest' interaction if anything is transferred to you... Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

sherology wrote: »
    Remember, your skin is a virus/bacteria proof barrier. Gloves have zero use if you touch you mouth/face... It's just another 'skin'. Easier to sterilise an ungloved hand with alcohol after each touch event (door handles etc.). Touch transfer is the problem not the touch material. Use contactless payment if possible instead of chip and pin and money/change. Use eldbows if possible. Sterilise hands after each 'guest' interaction if anything is transferred to you... Etc.

What if you have a cut on your hand?

kona wrote: »
    What if you have a cut on your hand?

Stay home and lock yourself on the basement with your toilet rolls :)

The CEO sent a video message to all employees today.

Aer Lingus have been building resillience throughout this, all non essential costs (only those to provide a safe and secure operation of flights) have been curtailed. Demand has indeed been falling off and they have been planning for an Atlantic ban. For Flight Ops and Cabin Crew both have been asked to consider part time or unpaid leave, the new roster has been delayed to take account of a severly reduced operation.

EI employees will come together to support the airline in this unforseen event. It cannot be ruled out now that a complete grounding of operations may be required here.

I fully accept Tengers word that the staff are provided with gloves. This cabin crew member said she wasn’t, obviously not correct. I assume they have sanitizers on board. Shouldn’t assist with luggage or bags though, don’t know where they’ve been.

I fully accept Tengers word that the staff are provided with gloves. This cabin crew member said she wasn’t, obviously not correct. I assume they have sanitizers on board. Shouldn’t assist with luggage or bags though, don’t know where they’ve been.

To be perfectly honest this is not the forum for discussions on this material. To be categorically matter of fact, appropriate PPE is provided for employees. When some people are concerned they speak out but it's not appropriate for crew members to be having discussions like this with revenue passengers.

The appropriate measures are in place, what would help is if the travelling public had the cop on to realise leaving santisiing wipes in seats goes against common sense. Some EI flight deck are making specific announcements to refrain from handing tissues to crew or leaving them in seat pockets. Unbelieveable its a requirment to advise adults to do this even in this current situation that they expect someone else to clean up their own tissues.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is this ban for everyone or are US citizens still allowed to fly, I’m just thinking we could see only NEO flying to the states.

• Advertisement

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Is this ban for everyone or are US citizens still allowed to fly, I’m just thinking we could see only NEO flying to the states.

All European citizens will be denied entry to US ports for the duration of the proclamation.

US citizens will be permitted to return home at any time. However it will not be operationally feasible to cater to flying somewhat 1/3 busy inbounds and empty outbounds. Demand has dried up and travel bans exacerbate any remaining demand.

It may be more feasible to stop all costs and ground the airline.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement