Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

IE 222 wrote: »
    I'm talking full on lockdown of the country. Keep people at home and only keep essential staff working. Cargo would have to be the exception of the rule but ideally we should probably ship as much air freight by sea were possible for the period.

It would be more economical to try curb this thing with a full lockdown for a 2 or 3 week period than fighting a losing battle for the next 6 - 10 weeks with essentially half of the country locked down either way.

Even you did have a full lockdown, you'd still need a half lockdown afterwards anyway.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Singapore hasn't had a full lockdown, but has kept things under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Anyone hear rumours that Dublin Airport will be shut for 2 weeks?

It's a rumour but, if you think about it, it cannot be true. And it is not true anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Even you did have a full lockdown, you'd still need a half lockdown afterwards anyway.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Singapore hasn't had a full lockdown, but has kept things under control.

The half lockdown afterwards would be natural. You'd reopen industry's gradually otherwise you'll run into major backlog issues and run the risk of spreading it again.

Singapore kind was a sprint to be fair. They were the first to ban flights from Wuhan and imposed mandatory isolation in student accommodation from the get go. We've surpassed their numbers now and we've allowed people to essentially self diagnose on entry. Singapore as well as Taiwan and Hong Kong have experience with these types of viruses and removed the potential of community transfers which we haven't. It only becomes a marathon because you didn't participate in the sprint. The earlier you nip this in the butt and control it the quicker you get rid of it. We are probably still at a stage of controlling this but once we start seeing 50 plus community transfers in a day forget about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But from an airline transport perspective it's not just about us having nipped it in the bud.

If the last case in Ireland was tomorrow...as long as the UK, US and other EU countries are suffering, where do you fly to and from...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Anyone hear rumours that Dublin Airport will be shut for 2 weeks?

yep, has to be true, johnny32654697 on fakebook said so.

The nonsense people believe is worse than the virus itself

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    But from an airline transport perspective it's not just about us having nipped it in the bud.

If the last case in Ireland was tomorrow...as long as the UK, US and other EU countries are suffering, where do you fly to and from...

No where but at least your in a position to restart operations rather than playing catch up and remaining on the banned list. We also got to remember that the airline industry is basically a source of the infection. Allowing more infected people to enter will undo any progress.

I think most EU states will beat or at least be on top of this in a similar timeframe as they all seem to have taken the necessary measures now. My worry is the UK. I really think their going to pay a heavy price for their slow response on this and we really should consider restricting travel to and from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1238989967571005443

To ask the tough question is Aer Lingus in trouble here?

Does it have enough financial firepower in the tank to ride this out for very long?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

]

Does it have enough financial firepower in the tank to ride this out for very long?

As part of IAG, yes.

Had it stood alone as many wanted here, not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

L1011 wrote: »
    As part of IAG, yes.

Had it stood alone as many wanted here, not a hope.

BA chief saying they are facing a very serious situation.

Let's hope this is over sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

That's pretty much been the entire topic of discussion today.

Aer Lingus aren't unique here, almost every airline in Europe is potentially facing a fight for survival in the coming weeks and months ahead. Aer Lingus has big backing in IAG but nobody is going to take that for granted, they'll have to respond quickly and effectively to weather the storm and nothing is guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Well... I've bitten the bullet and moved (again) my last active EI flight to November (LPA) so biking in the rain and cold again. So I'm grounded until Sept.

Lost the hotel money but chances of me being stuck over there seem to be high. When they stop flying... They'll stop for some time as people will need to be whipped back into buying trips again.

I've lost loads but EI... You're website is amazing... And I hope you (all) do what is needed to protect yourselves financially and medically. See you onboard soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads, Have friends with parents (late 60s) in Gran Canaria at the moment, supposed to be staying there until end of the month, do you think they should come home? are they likely to be stuck there?

I just cancelled my flight over there on the 17th. If you're friends parents have a return ticket, EI will/should notify them of any change and put them on repatriation flights... If flights get pulled.

You can change your return flights for free now paying any extra if the return is more expensive if you want to chose a flight and chose to return. I can't see guests being 'left' there but it's likely they'll be brought home early. In that case they'll be told what day and what flight etc.

Choices... I'd stay until told when I'm coming home by EI... But make sure they're phones are on, app is understood, email is checked etc. if EI announce a suspension of flights. If they're not very IT minded, maybe rebook on their behalf via the manage booking on the website, and bring them home early. easyJet cancelled flights from Tuesday so I'm guessing Ryanair and EI etc. will follow.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

IE 222 wrote: »

I think most EU states will beat or at least be on top of this in a similar timeframe as they all seem to have taken the necessary measures now. My worry is the UK. I really think their going to pay a heavy price for their slow response on this and we really should consider restricting travel to and from there.

That would involve closing about 300 land border crossings on the island, because there's no way NI will allow itself to be fully shut off from the UK - the sea ports at Belfast and Larne will have to remain open even if the airports close.

In other words, close to impossible. If the UK get this wrong it will inevitably have a huge knock on impact in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

EI-EWR is off for scrapping today to Pinal Airpark, Arizona;

15/03
    EIN2113 DUB1100-1340BGR 332 EI-EWR
    16/03
    EIN2113 BGR0600-0900MZJ 332 EI-EWR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I doubt they'll "shut" the airport, but incoming flights will just dry up except for cargo. Anyway, it's politically unpalatable to close the land border with NI and so long as the UK is f'ing around in their unique approach to handling this crisis we'll have exposure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

Jack1985 wrote: »
    EI-EWR is off for scrapping today to Pinal Airpark, Arizona;

15/03
    EIN2113 DUB1100-1340BGR 332 EI-EWR
    16/03
    EIN2113 BGR0600-0900MZJ 332 EI-EWR

Sad to see her end this way!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Sad to see her end this way!!

Jesus that's was quick.
    We had assumed that it was planned anyway, maybe hastened with the recent news.
    I'm gonna guess that EIK will not be a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Tenger wrote: »
    Jesus that's was quick.
    We had assumed that it was planned anyway, maybe hastened with the recent news.
    I'm gonna guess that EIK will not be a thing.

EIK is or was being painted last I checked, so don’t know what it’s future holds also EIN, I guess it’s still in Brussels?

That would involve closing about 300 land border crossings on the island, because there's no way NI will allow itself to be fully shut off from the UK - the sea ports at Belfast and Larne will have to remain open even if the airports close.

In other words, close to impossible. If the UK get this wrong it will inevitably have a huge knock on impact in Ireland.

That's why we need Arlene to play ball and work as one island. We'll unlikely see England, Scotland and Wales differ. Unfortunately I think we'll need to see a few more deaths up there before she opens her eyes to protect life over the union. Of course ports will need to remain open for supplies but at a reduced rate. We don't need to be bringing in peoples Amazon shopping ect. Stick all that into containers and deal with it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-EIK is out of the hanger and in Aer Lingus livery but still has its ex-Qatar registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

the French and Dutch government are promising helping klm-af
    lufthansa to ask for help to the german gov
    tap getting gov help from portuguese gov
    virgin seeking billions of injection from the UK gov to uk aviation industry
    sas and norwegian seeking help from the norwegian gov
    Most of those private... would the irish gov help aer lingus and ryanair?
    should we expect 50% cabin crew and pilot cut at EI and RYR just like norwegian?
    why hasnt IAG asked for public help yet? would they rather let staff go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Kcormahs wrote: »
    the French and Dutch government are promising helping klm-af
    lufthansa to ask for help to the german gov
    tap getting gov help from portuguese gov
    virgin seeking billions of injection from the UK gov to uk aviation industry
    sas and norwegian seeking help from the norwegian gov
    Most of those private... would the irish gov help aer lingus and ryanair?
    should we expect 50% cabin crew and pilot cut at EI and RYR just like norwegian?
    why hasnt IAG asked for public help yet? would they rather let staff go?

Usually IAG and Ryanair are on the same page when it comes to state aid. They are both against it. Both these companies have very strong balance sheets and would be amongst the last to go under. I’d think their preference would be for no one to get state aid and watch their competitors go bankrupt one by one. Much less competition for when the World returns to normal. If that doesn’t work then they will also be asking for the same state aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

why hasnt IAG asked for public help yet? ....

Just mentioning in passing that IAG is a Spanish company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I think governments are going to think very carefully about supporting airlines if they have economic meltdown and resultant huge fall in tax-take, much-increased social welfare requirements and health service pressures to contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

0lddog wrote: »
    Just mentioning in passing that IAG is a Spanish company

Its registered office might be there for tax reasons but its essential English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Airlines_Group

A quarter owned by Qatar.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Usually IAG and Ryanair are on the same page when it comes to state aid. They are both against it. Both these companies have very strong balance sheets and would be amongst the last to go under. I’d think their preference would be for no one to get state aid and watch their competitors go bankrupt one by one. Much less competition for when the World returns to normal. If that doesn’t work then they will also be asking for the same state aid.

I would concur. Both WW and MoL have been very vocal against state aid in the past.
    Neither will ask for aid but will take it once EU/national Govts release funds to the sector.

One point is that as interest rates are at an historic low its a good time for states to borrow in order to shore up their flailing businesses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I think governments are going to think very carefully about supporting airlines if they have economic meltdown and resultant huge fall in tax-take, much-increased social welfare requirements and health service pressures to contend with.

A tax relief window might help airlines later in the year, and it’s not like the government would be loosing out much anyway because if they let the airlines all go bust they wouldn’t get that tax income anyway. But it’s a way of saving more jobs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

With the situation changing so quickly for worse, Will ryanair and aer lingus let staff go, primarily cabin crew/pilots?
    If so, 20%? 50%?

With the situation changing so quickly for worse, Will ryanair and aer lingus let staff go, primarily cabin crew/pilots?
    If so, 20%? 50%?

I would think 20% temporarily laid off/unpaid leave at a minimum.
    It was announced last week that EI were asking staff to take unpaid leave/part-time.
    Trump's travel ban has made the situation even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

IngazZagni wrote: »

I thought Ursula von der Leyen said on Friday governments could provide aid to firms effected by coronavirus and over 3b of eu money was available? I don’t think that Dutch, French, German governments are going to let their ‘ their, airlines go bust over this without support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement