Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

joeysoap wrote: »
    I thought Ursula von der Leyen said on Friday governments could provide aid to firms effected by coronavirus and over 3b of eu money was available? I don’t think that Dutch, French, German governments are going to let their ‘ their, airlines go bust over this without support.

Those governments wouldnt. But Irish government would have a different approach to ryr and ei

Tenger wrote: »
    I would think 20% temporarily laid off/unpaid leave at a minimum.
    It was announced last week that EI were asking staff to take unpaid leave/part-time.
    Trump's travel ban has made the situation even worse.

20% only cabin crew pilots or ground staff, office staff etc?
    20% maybe a bit too low? Id say 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

State aid rules have been relaxed somewhat, governments can provide fair support so long as no one company is given preferential treatment.

It could be a case where a government commits to providing their own aviation industry with a support package designed to benefit home registered airlines, airports and suppliers. Governments will need to be very careful what parameters they use to identify who and what deserves support.

The likes of Ryanair and IAG can stick to their anti-state air stance but it will do them no favours while rivals gladly take handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Here is EI-EWR as it departed Dublin this morning for the last time.
    49662878247_76a472bfbc_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Kcormahs wrote: »
    With the situation changing so quickly for worse, Will ryanair and aer lingus let staff go, primarily cabin crew/pilots?
    If so, 20%? 50%?

I'd say higher, particularly at EI given the transatlantic situation. SAS today announcing the cutting of 90% of staff for the foreseeable would be an equivalent example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

I'd say higher, particularly at EI given the transatlantic situation. SAS today announcing the cutting of 90% of staff for the foreseeable would be an equivalent example.

I'd agree. Daily trunk routes to nearshore hub and spoke airports that EI interline with (JFK/BOS/ORD/CDG/FRA/AMS), and a few daily LHR flights... And your done. Planes cargo stuffed and passenger light, with pretty high fares for those who must fly. There just won't be passengers. Anything EI isn't locked in to do in terms of new livery painting etc. scrapped. Onboard catering stopped on all but long flights - staff there for safety only. Water bottles handed to flyers. No other interaction.

June 1 is looking more likely to me for a 'slow' rebuild, marketing effort, as a loose guide date. I think the EU could be convinced to support these 'cohesion' routes to keep the EU connected.

Looking at the six o'clock news this evening, the throngs of people in temple bar, queues of people compressed at tills in supermarkets and stores is alarming in people missing the point. Even the check-in line at Dublin, and the health monitoring lines in the US airports for incoming passengers are like Petri dishes. The world need a lock-down like they just started in Spain or we'll be doing this through summer.

LRs are going to come in handy, and SNN TATL is gonna have to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Here is EI-EWR as it departed Dublin this morning for the last time.
    49662878247_76a472bfbc_b.jpg

Maybe they should have kept it an extra day and sent it down to fuerteventura and lanzarote to rescue all the people they abandoned there yesterday.

Pete2k wrote: »
    Maybe they should have kept it an extra day and sent it down to fuerteventura and lanzarote to rescue all the people they abandoned there yesterday.

They're sending 'larger' aircraft down until Thursday according to Simon Convey (regarding repatriation). After Thursday (or soon thereafter) it sounded like they're stopping flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

sherology wrote: »
    They're sending 'larger' aircraft down until Thursday according to Simon Convey (regarding repatriation). After Thursday (or soon thereafter) it sounded like they're stopping flights.

Reading between the lines does that mean our airports are closing then I wonder?

When the markets open in the morning it's going to be a bloodbath given so much has happened over the weekend.

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Reading between the lines does that mean our airports are closing then.

I doubt it but flights will not be easy to get, and unlikely to be direct... And (if you're over there) take what you're offered if and when contacted... keep your phone on, email checked, and make sure the airline has your contact details... (via manage booking on airline website) They're repatriation flights, not pick-and-choose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I think in the short term a near complete temporary grounding is looking increasingly likely, by next week most flights that aren’t ‘rescue flights’ will be close to empty anyway.

A skeleton network with key European capitals, a few UK services and whatever US gateways are permitted will be in operation.

This will obviously result in the vast majority of staff being temporarily laid off.

In the longer term, assuming the airline survives the crisis, we’ll likely see a restructured operation, a smaller network and fleet but the foundations available to rebuild as consumer confidence returns. This is where the 20-25% reduction in staff numbers seems most realistic.

It’s going to be painful but the airline needs to act soon, it can’t spend the next week limping from day to day.

I assume in order to do that the A330's are going to be redirected from the transatlantic routes

I assume in order to do that the A330's are going to be redirected from the transatlantic routes

I don't work for the airline, but they have some over capacity in winter, US travel ban kicks in offically tomorrow so routes and frequency will drop immediately (I assume), and they have flexibility with when the flight departs etc. as they don't necessarily need to fly at the scheduled flight times. It'll be EI aircraft one would assume... Nobody's got HiFly money these days... And on that... Goodbye HiFly/Titan et al? There just can't be a business case for these folks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Last Minneapolis flight today. Routes with final flights tomorrow are Hartford, Orlando and Philadelphia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Some may still do transatlantic for cargo purposes but I would imagine the cabin will be empty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Who did they abandon? Sounds like they just forcibly dumped people there.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Who did they abandon? Sounds like they just forcibly dumped people there.

Neither flight operated yesterday so everyone who was due to fly home are still stuck there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Being unable to land because of ATC restrictions isn't "abandoning people"
    They can't just loiter off the coast waiting for permission to land.

I think in the short term a near complete temporary grounding is looking increasingly likely, by next week most flights that aren’t ‘rescue flights’ will be close to empty anyway.

A skeleton network with key European capitals, a few UK services and whatever US gateways are permitted will be in operation.

This will obviously result in the vast majority of staff being temporarily laid off.

In the longer term, assuming the airline survives the crisis, we’ll likely see a restructured operation, a smaller network and fleet but the foundations available to rebuild as consumer confidence returns. This is where the 20-25% reduction in staff numbers seems most realistic.

It’s going to be painful but the airline needs to act soon, it can’t spend the next week limping from day to day.

And reducing 20%25% would they go for the older staff near retirement or who are on older contracts/more expensive? Or would they go by the newest people in the company? Im sure the law protects who has been working the longest in the airline/seniority? Or would they even go by grade from cabin crew, to senior cabin crew, and cabin managers in EI for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Thursday, exactly how many people are down there. I really hope we are going to quarantine people coming back from Spain. Its madness to think were going to allow people walk straight out of the airport that have been exposed to this virus for so long especially as the country they are coming from is pretty much in lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

IE 222 wrote: »
    Thursday, exactly how many people are down there.

About 20000 according to the media.

20000 people who have been in and out of pubs every night for a week or 2.

easypazz wrote: »
    About 20000 according to the media.

20000 people who have been in and out of pubs every night for a week or 2.

Holidaymakers????

Thursday, exactly how many people are down there. I really hope we are going to quarantine people coming back from Spain. Its madness to think were going to allow people walk straight out of the airport that have been exposed to this virus for so long especially as the country they are coming from is pretty much in lockdown.

Anyone coming into the country from high risk areas are asked to self-isolate for 14 days - they won't of course but nobody take anything seriously here - or anywhere unless there is an actual enforced lockdown. And let's face it... We have no place to put people.

The canaries have pretty low rates of infection - it's sunny and lots of UV light to kill viruses on surfaces. Mainland Spain and Madrid in particular is very high - for the reasons above, and cool/cold winter weather.

The repatriation flights are due to virtually (if not) ALL flights being cancelled on Saturday (many 1000's of people) from Ireland to the canaries due to ATC issues down there, and the returning folks left there (as no planes). Not the fault of EI or FR... And the islands are remote and you can't just take off from IRL with hope in your fuel tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Last Minneapolis flight today. Routes with final flights tomorrow are Hartford, Orlando and Philadelphia.

Any intel’ on the SNN US flights?

Anyone coming into the country from high risk areas are asked to self-isolate for 14 days - they won't of course but nobody take anything seriously here - or anywhere unless there is an actual enforced lockdown. And let's face it... We have no place to put people.

The canaries have pretty low rates of infection - it's sunny and lots of UV light to kill viruses on surfaces. Mainland Spain and Madrid in particular is very high - for the reasons above, and cool/cold winter weather.

The repatriation flights are due to virtually (if not) ALL flights being cancelled on Saturday (many 1000's of people) from Ireland to the canaries due to ATC issues down there, and the returning folks left there (as no planes). Not the fault of EI or FR... And the islands are remote and you can't just take off from IRL with hope in your fuel tanks.

Not blaming the airlines but 20k holidaymakers is ridiculous given the circumstances and sure more your willing to go yesterday and even this morning. I didn't think so many people would be that stupid. We should look at holding them in hotels to isolate, surely there is a lot of capacity in hotels at the moment. If they were stupid enough to travel they can't be trusted to self isolate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Not blaming the airlines but 20k holidaymakers is ridiculous given the circumstances and sure more your willing to go yesterday and even this morning. I didn't think so many people would be that stupid. We should look at holding them in hotels to isolate, surely there is a lot of capacity in hotels at the moment. If they were stupid enough to travel they can't be trusted to self isolate.

If the country is in lockdown they won’t have much choice

Locker10a wrote: »
    If the country is in lockdown they won’t have much choice

I think this needs to be done sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RexBanner

I'm one of those 20k holiday makers so i thought i'd add some context here. We came over 2 weeks ago, if anyone can remember 2 weeks ago the major concern back then was the storms off the atlantic.

We watched nervously as things went downhill over the past week in particular. We we due to fly home yesterday but when i saw that the flight from Ireland hadn't taken off on FR i knew that we were in trouble. We were able to re-book on a flight back on Tuesday so we're lucky, but the only direct comm's we received from AL was a text message saying our flight was cancelled.

Regarding self-isolation there are 3 cases on the island of Lanzarote, there are 9 cases in the county i'm from, including 2 in the next parish over. The reality is that we are actually less of a risk than the friends and family that are at home but, we will self isolate when we get home per the government guidance. We live in the countryside so we'll be able to do that efficently.

Please don't scare-monger or paint everyone with a blunt brush. We're all in this together as Irish people and we'll get through it by working together and supporting each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think the 20000 figure includes ex-pats and seasonal visitors - a lot of older retired people winter in the Canaries and would have been coming back home at around Easter time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I wonder if the evacuation will be a reason to start the gun on harsher lockdown, given other European countries are doing it anyway it might be good to kick it off when we know we’re bringing home sizeable populations of lastminute.com returnees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement