Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Last Minneapolis flight today. Routes with final flights tomorrow are Hartford, Orlando and Philadelphia.

What do you mean final flights tomorrow, are all other flights this week cancelled from these airports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

RexBanner wrote: »
    I'm one of those 20k holiday makers so i thought i'd add some context here. We came over 2 weeks ago, if anyone can remember 2 weeks ago the major concern back then was the storms off the atlantic.

We watched nervously as things went downhill over the past week in particular. We we due to fly home yesterday but when i saw that the flight from Ireland hadn't taken off on FR i knew that we were in trouble. We were able to re-book on a flight back on Tuesday so we're lucky, but the only direct comm's we received from AL was a text message saying our flight was cancelled.

Regarding self-isolation there are 3 cases on the island of Lanzarote, there are 9 cases in the county i'm from, including 2 in the next parish over. The reality is that we are actually less of a risk than the friends and family that are at home but, we will self isolate when we get home per the government guidance. We live in the countryside so we'll be able to do that efficently.

Please don't scare-monger or paint everyone with a blunt brush. We're all in this together as Irish people and we'll get through it by working together and supporting each other.

Excellent post. Hope You do get home safely.

Safe travelling and BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

s8n wrote: »
    What do you mean final flights tomorrow, are all other flights this week cancelled from these airports ?

As I understand the situation, transatlantic flights will be no more ( under the current situation) after 04h00 Tuesday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

As I understand the situation, transatlantic flights will be no more ( under the current situation) after 04h00 Tuesday morning!
    Does the US Irish travel ban mean you are entitled to a full refund on an Aer Lingus flight to the US due to go out next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Services to BDL, MCO, MSP and PHL have been suspended as they are not approved airports by the DHS for landing protocols now required in the US for detection purposes.

EI will continue to operate as long as possible to repatriate on remaining routes they are able to operate on, its just a waiting game now to see when eventually the group as a whole is forced to ground the fleet. The effect is cataclysmic on airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Excellent post. Hope You do get home safely.

Safe travelling and BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!!!

Here-here. You'll spot the AerLingus queue at the airport as the line will be really compact and all the trolleys and suitcases will will be full of toilet paper and 'bimbo' brand sliced bread - more fiber in the toilet paper :)

Safe flight #bekind #behelpful or #bequiet

And now... Back to fleet stuff!!!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IAG are cutting capacity by 75% (minimum) in April and May so guess most of EI will be grounded until 1 June. Walsh to stay on longer than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    IAG are cutting capacity by 75% (minimum) in April and May so guess most of EI will be grounded until 1 June. Walsh to stay on longer than planned.

It's the best way to protect the organization's unfortunately I had alluded to as much yesterday. These are horrendous times for everyone,

it's gut wrenching. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is the 757 finished ?

Also a side note, from working in the airport over the last few years it’s been amazing to see the growth, I was looking forward to a bumper summer. Now it seems inevitable that I’ll loose my job and probably many others. We will fight this and I wish everyone the best in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Is the 757 finished ?

Also a side note, from working in the airport over the last few years it’s been amazing to see the growth, I was looking forward to a bumper summer. Now it seems inevitable that I’ll loose my job and probably many others. We will fight this and I wish everyone the best in future.

Head up. There are many of us who are at risk of losing our jobs.

This virus will pass & the people of Ireland will want to travel even more so than before.

Be ready to support the effort when your time comes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

FionnK86 wrote: »
    This virus will pass & the people of Ireland will want to travel even more so than before.

How can you say this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How can you say this?

Because the virus will pass and people who been cooped up for months will be desperate to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

How can you say this?

Traffic evolution is statistically correlated to economic growth.

Economy will bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

How can you say this?

This is clearly an unprecedented type of event, but recessions are not unprecedented in and of themselves. This one will take some special actions to fix the economy but when we come out the other side it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's larger psychological issues at play here too, this isn't simply a recession, nor is it a 9/11.

Eventually yeah I'm sure the numbers will bounce back and increase, as is the natural trend, but I don't think you can say people all of a sudden WILL travel again and in larger numbers, that's a matter of opinion.

There's larger psychological issues at play here too, this isn't simply a recession, nor is it a 9/11.

Eventually yeah I'm sure the numbers will bounce back and increase, as is the natural trend, but I don't think you can say people all of a sudden WILL travel again and in larger numbers, that's a matter of opinion.

None of us know how long it will take, for sure. But it will occur.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

As long as O’Leary and the LCC are around you’ll see good numbers flying (once this passes over) not all airlines will survive but the ones with deep pockets hopefully will and the likes of O’Leary will be having seat sales like never before to restore people’s travel desires

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

riddles wrote: »
    Does the US Irish travel ban mean you are entitled to a full refund on an Aer Lingus flight to the US due to go out next Monday?

Was also wondering this. When the ban came in was expecting this to be the case, but their website so far it just let's you change the flight for no extra fee.

Now I'm wondering if the flight will still go with just American passengers and they can get out of refunding Irish people that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Was also wondering this. When the ban came in was expecting this to be the case, but their website so far it just let's you change the flight for no extra fee.

Now I'm wondering if the flight will still go with just American passengers and they can get out of refunding Irish people that way?

Eventually they'll run out of Americans...

And I'm pretty sure EI aren't that cynical anyway. To be fair to them they need some time to get to grips with what's happening as the situation develops and to react appropriately. I'm sure that those of us with affected bookings will be communicated with (either directly or via published instructions on what to do on-line) and dealt with in a manner that's reasonable given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Nijmegen wrote: »
    This is clearly an unprecedented type of event, but recessions are not unprecedented in and of themselves. This one will take some special actions to fix the economy but when we come out the other side it will be ok.
    Would love to see a 30 year version of that chart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Because the virus will pass and people who been cooped up for months will be desperate to get away.
    Business travel may never recover.
    FionnK86 wrote: »
    Traffic evolution is statistically correlated to economic growth.

Economy will bounce back.

You're jumping the gun here. There's no recession and the drop in traffic is not correlated to negative growth so far. There will likely be a recession but that's not what is causing the crisis in the aviation industry. Correlating this to economic growth and comparing to recessions is completely ignoring what is happening here.

The aviation industry has already entered a crisis independent of a recession. And will likely suffer during an upcoming recession.

From Willie Walsh regarding fleet changes:

“You should expect us to look at accelerating the retirement of those aircraft, (BAs 30 747s and IBs 16 340s)” he says, but he also points out that withdrawal candidates include some Aer Lingus A330s and around 20 single-aisle jets."

And...

“We may operate some of our passenger aircraft just for belly-hold cargo to ensure we keep critical supplies moving.”

Out with the old (and those that are leased I'd imagine), and the remaining will form the basis of the post-corona fleet.

Do remember that weaker airlines will not comes back, and if they do - due to government help, will not last long after their reappearance as customers will not trust them and they'll have no reserves whatsoever. That, plus smaller fleets should help stronger airlines, like EI and FR, when there is a rebound. Things will be different, hub and spoke might become (again) more prevalent, and the a321xlr will become a far popular airframe. Big is gone... Small and medium is/will be the new go to normal airframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Peregrine wrote: »
    Business travel may never recover.

This is really important. The real winners in this will be the likes of Microsoft, Google etc who can provide robust online meeting & conferencing software.

Companies will see in the coming months that it's not essential to fly staff around paying business class rates to have a meeting or conference.

This will result in a re-allignment/reduction of business class & an increase in cost of economy to make up the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I was on a work call this morning and the first topic of conversation was that everyone will be desperate for a good holiday once this is all over, the industry will probably look totally different in a years time but people will still want their sun holidays.

Business travel might be a different story though, from my experience a lot of business travel is self indulgence by management and given the changing world companies might use this as a chance to re-evaluate. Won't be long before environmentalists latch onto it as well and we'll see scaling back for optics

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Some good news is that IAG have healthy bank balance, something in the region of 9 billion, I can see a basic core service operating using a couple of aircraft for cargo and basic services, I can’t see a complete shut down, Alitalia are still operational albeit very basic (currently a flight bound for JFK) We still have postal and freight imports and exports and hopefully will keep things ticking over for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 JW7

Jack1985 wrote: »
    EI-EWR is off for scrapping today to Pinal Airpark, Arizona;

15/03
    EIN2113 DUB1100-1340BGR 332 EI-EWR
    16/03
    EIN2113 BGR0600-0900MZJ 332 EI-EWR

Climbing out of Bangor now

She had an interesting last couple of days according to FR24.

Toronto was her final TATL revenue service, had to return to the airport on 9 March. Then did a couple of Dublin-Shannon and Shannon-Shannon loops before setting off to the US, what was that all about?

I always take note when I see her going overhead, sad to be no more!

Toronto was her final TATL revenue service, had to return to the airport on 9 March. Then did a couple of Dublin-Shannon and Shannon-Shannon loops before setting off to the US, what was that all about?

The loops are probably training flights (or maybe post-maintenance/repair flights).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Crew training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

sherology wrote: »
    From Willie Walsh regarding fleet changes:

“You should expect us to look at accelerating the retirement of those aircraft, (BAs 30 747s and IBs 16 340s)” he says, but he also points out that withdrawal candidates include some Aer Lingus A330s and around 20 single-aisle jets."

And...

“We may operate some of our passenger aircraft just for belly-hold cargo to ensure we keep critical supplies moving.”

Out with the old (and those that are leased I'd imagine), and the remaining will form the basis of the post-corona fleet.

Do remember that weaker airlines will not comes back, and if they do - due to government help, will not last long after their reappearance as customers will not trust them and they'll have no reserves whatsoever. That, plus smaller fleets should help stronger airlines, like EI and FR, when there is a rebound. Things will be different, hub and spoke might become (again) more prevalent, and the a321xlr will become a far popular airframe. Big is gone... Small and medium is/will be the new go to normal airframe.

20 single aisle jets just from aer lingus or the whole iag group?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement