Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

sherology wrote: »
    Depends where you're flying. They 'intend' keeping a few routes (but all things can change and they may be just cargo).

If rebooking think late summer/autumn. Otherwise wait another while (if comfortably doing so) to see how the routes play out.

Airlines would obviously prefer you to rebook to retain/maintain cash, so might be playing the longgame in terms of definitive cancellations and compulsory refunds.

(And based on the message above...US routes may just be cargo as I suspected... Using cabin crew for virtually no passengers not on the cards in this environment)

Yeah thinking the long game too. New York JFK, but there can't be too many on those flights now - only US citizens practically, if there are any left here!
    I will wait to last minute in hope of cancellation, I just can't see them flying an empty plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Yeah thinking the long game too. New York JFK, but there can't be too many on those flights now - only US citizens practically, if there are any left here!
    I will wait to last minute in hope of cancellation, I just can't see them flying an empty plane.

I think you'll have a better idea by the end of this week as they can't keep their plans quiet for too much longer. If definitely not rebooking keep an eye on the news/notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just using the belly for cargo. No pax so no need for cabin crew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

35 A320's parked

If Airfleets.net is to be believed, they only have 34 active right now as it is...

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Aer%20Lingus-active-a320.htm

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    If Airfleets.net is to be believed, they only have 34 active right now as it is...

Sorry 320/321

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Noxegon wrote: »

3 A321's parked without questions
    4 A321NEO's?

Thats 41 total, leaves 6
    So probably MAN/LHR/AMS/FRA/CDG only to provide essential connectivity, connections, postal service and major hubs to ensure we have global access and also able to get freight in/out via mainland Europe.

A330 changes, you would pull the crew rest units out, potentially pull all the seats out to reduce the weight. No way to lash stuff down. In the past for emergency flights to disasters stuff has been strapped into passenger seats.

EI in the past flew to LAX freight only so it can be a profitable operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aviation2k19

What about SNN, ORK & BHD to LHR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

3 A321's parked without questions
    4 A321NEO's?

Thats 41 total, leaves 6
    So probably MAN/LHR/AMS/FRA/CDG only to provide essential connectivity, connections, postal service and major hubs to ensure we have global access and also able to get freight in/out via mainland Europe.

A330 changes, you would pull the crew rest units out, potentially pull all the seats out to reduce the weight. No way to lash stuff down. In the past for emergency flights to disasters stuff has been strapped into passenger seats.

EI in the past flew to LAX freight only so it can be a profitable operation.

I doubt seats and galleys will be pulled out, would affect weight and balance etc so would need to come under some sort of modification, which costs money. Likewise if you have stuff in the seats id guess that you will need a number of cabin crew or people trained to secure the cabin.

Just DUB

No chance sadly, you would assume BA will address BHD and it would be staffed from LHR, no overnights etc. EI staff BHD from Dublin so clearly with the border, travel, cost etc not a point.

kona wrote: »
    I doubt seats and galleys will be pulled out, would affect weight and balance etc so would need to come under some sort of modification, which costs money. Likewise if you have stuff in the seats id guess that you will need a number of cabin crew or people trained to secure the cabin.

EI-EIM/EIN have been flown without the full cabin fitted.

It really depends if you are tight on MTOW due 28/10 in Dublin. Should be fine, but someone is probably running the numbers now on the cost to remove the seats and replace vs the fuel burn savings

EI-EIK could be interesting as she will need to business cabin removed anyway to install the EI standard

• Advertisement

Leave crew rest facilities in. Fly return crew out on flight to operate the aircraft straight back to Ireland. Is that possible and would crew be considered rested if they slept on the outbound leg.

Leave crew rest facilities in. Fly return crew out on flight to operate the aircraft straight back to Ireland. Is that possible and would crew be considered rested if they slept on the outbound leg.

Well that is a real stretch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

What about SNN, ORK & BHD to LHR?

I would say we will be down to DUB only to a few euro hubs then build out from there.

Well that is a real stretch!

Absolutely it is. Hence why I’m asking the question. How did they manage the Haiti relief flights for the crews ? Obviously the question is only in regard to any medical cargo flights rather than JFK/BOS/YYZ etc I’m not that crazy.....yet.

The question is whether that is a practical idea rather than factoring mandatory crew rest in to the Medical cargo trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Absolutely it is. Hence why I’m asking the question. How did they manage the Haiti relief flights for the crews ? Obviously the question is only in regard to any medical cargo flights rather than JFK/BOS/YYZ etc I’m not that crazy.....yet.

The question is whether that is a practical idea rather than factoring mandatory crew rest in to the Medical cargo trips.

There is likely no real point in changing crewing arrangements, if they are doing a daily JFK/BOS flights on cargo only. Most of the costs have to be paid anyway. Crew hotels etc. going to cost if used or not.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is likely no real point in changing crewing arrangements, if they are doing a daily JFK/BOS flights on cargo only.

Absolutely, but I was thinking of more potential one off cargo trips to places that they can source certain medical equipment. Like I said not considering it for any of the usual destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

One crew did Dublin-Haiti-Orlando where a second crew took over. It was just about max crew limits.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    One crew did Dublin-Haiti-Orlando where a second crew took over. It was just about max crew limits.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

Surely they could just occupy the business class cabin? More useful to remove the crew rest for an additional cargo position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Would they have removed the business class seats on EWR before she was scrapped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

sherology wrote: »
    I think you'll have a better idea by the end of this week as they can't keep their plans quiet for too much longer. If definitely not rebooking keep an eye on the news/notices.

Options update!

Email received from Aer Lingus re my upcoming flight:

Change your flight without a fee
    You can change the date of your trip at aerlingus.com. We’ve waived our change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply.

Apply for a voucher
    We’ll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So if your flight cost at total of €200, we’ll send you a €220 voucher. Terms and Conditions apply.

Now it's hold out for a cancellation and refund, or take 110% and hope Aer Lingus survive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Options update!

Email received from Aer Lingus re my upcoming flight:

Change your flight without a fee
    You can change the date of your trip at aerlingus.com. We’ve waived our change fees, but please note that a fare difference may apply.

Apply for a voucher
    We’ll send you a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So if your flight cost at total of €200, we’ll send you a €220 voucher. Terms and Conditions apply.

Now it's hold out for a cancellation and refund, or take 110% and hope Aer Lingus survive!

In a way that is sad, EI and FR are about to be grounded indefinitely and they are trying to get the last few to leave credit for whenever things recover.

Dublin will have SNN level of this day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Wonder if they’ll pause AerClub expiration, or at least extend it

EI-EIM/EIN have been flown without the full cabin fitted.

It really depends if you are tight on MTOW due 28/10 in Dublin. Should be fine, but someone is probably running the numbers now on the cost to remove the seats and replace vs the fuel burn savings

EI-EIK could be interesting as she will need to business cabin removed anyway to install the EI standard

As i said they will require modifications , which cost money. Both eim and ein will have had these modifications taken into account when ferried without seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

kona wrote: »
    As i said they will require modifications , which cost money. Both eim and ein will have had these modifications taken into account when ferried without seats.

To be fair this is probably a known configuration with Airbus. Most early flights are done without any type of cabin surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Anyone know when they are due to cancel fights for May? I'm torn between taking the voucher and waiting for a refund. I wonder how long you have to make the decision. I've a trip to Spain booked for the start of May.

To be fair this is probably a known configuration with Airbus. Most early flights are done without any type of cabin surely?

Still needs paperwork etc which will cost ei money as they dont have the relevent experience/approval.
    Then in order to use for cargo ops your into modifications for fire and possibly structural work.

I would think EI like most of other airlines will try and give vouchers or rebook flights to avoid refunding money. It will be like dragging money out of stone to get any money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I remember TITAN operating ATR in a cargo config that could be changed back into pax config, The overheard bins were still in place just seats removed JET 2 had a 737 with an actual cargo door in the same set up saw it in BFS.
    Speaking from a cargo ops airline the main deck floor has to be reinforced then you have G nets fire capable etc.
    There is a lot more to just ripping out the cabin and inserting roller bed floors & locks.
    Surprised EI would fly with just cargo could they really make money from.just belly freight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Surprised EI would fly with just cargo could they really make money from.just belly freight?

I'd imagine air freight is going to attract a significant premium for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement