Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yup charges has shot up as there is a lot less capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Graham wrote: »
    I'd imagine air freight is going to attract a significant premium for a while.

I wonder what fresh produce we will see disappear off the shelves?

Lobster in Ireland should be cheap, I believe a lot of it is flown fresh out of the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Surprised EI would fly with just cargo could they really make money from.just belly freight?

I was always told that belly freight was where the money was. Economy was that bit extra and business was the cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I was always told that belly freight was where the money was. Economy was that bit extra and business was the cream.

Yep years back the operating cost of a wide body for us was 100k USD a day, So just say you have a wide body that can take 300 pax.
    30 in biz class/1st paying 5k return for the tickets then the rest in economy paying just say 1k then the freight in the belly and courier freight i(loose loading)n the hold.
    Last time working on the ramp every EI flight was full with freight all on PMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Anyone know when they are due to cancel fights for May? I'm torn between taking the voucher and waiting for a refund. I wonder how long you have to make the decision. I've a trip to Spain booked for the start of May.

My flight to NYC in 10 days has still not been cancelled, so I am waiting to see if it is cancelled and then I get a refund, or whether I have to take the voucher for the extra 10%. The voucher is a good deal if you believe Aer Lingus will get through this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

My flight to NYC in 10 days has still not been cancelled, so I am waiting to see if it is cancelled and then I get a refund, or whether I have to take the voucher for the extra 10%. The voucher is a good deal if you believe Aer Lingus will get through this...

Of course they'll get through this !

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

I can't see an expiration date for the voucher in the T&C's, can I assume it doesn't have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Currently signing off with unions etc so announcement will be made in the next few days, cancellations will then start.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Spleerbun wrote: »
    I can't see an expiration date for the voucher in the T&C's, can I assume it doesn't have one?

5 years according to Aer Lingus Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I thought all vouchers were 5 years now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Of course they'll get through this !
    No guarantees anywhere.

I would put EI in a better position that most similar sized operations due go the IAG backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

All staff salaries reduced by 50% for April with 75-80% reduction in flights.

Could (thought it would) be worse. Hang in there, defer loans etc.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-staff-earnings-to-be-halved-in-April--f8d6f18f-9703-431a-89ae-176585330dd1-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Tenger wrote: »
    No guarantees anywhere.

I would put EI in a better position that most similar sized operations due go the IAG backing.

Aer lingus has had quite a large recruitment drive in the kast 5 years too. I dont think it will end well for them if it goes deep into the summer. Its not like a switch goes and everything is booming again. Theres 400k people possibly out of work and the entire planet is riddled too, so nobody wants to go anywhere. Theres going to be massive damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

sherology wrote: »
    All staff salaries reduced by 50% for April with 20-25% reduction in flights.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Aer-Lingus-staff-earnings-to-be-halved-in-April--f8d6f18f-9703-431a-89ae-176585330dd1-ds

that 20-25% is the amount of flights planned,not a reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

sherology wrote: »
    All staff salaries reduced by 50% for April with 20-25% reduction in flights.

That’s a 75-80%reduction in flights.

starvin wrote: »
    That’s a 75-80%reduction in flights.

Edited... Apologies :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Which is in line with the IAG statement.
    Which staff on 50% hours they are able to ramp back up in July or August IF there is the need.
    (might be more like October)

This is smart as

1. If things pick up you can get everyone back quickly
    2. If people call in sick, have to isolate you have a massive pool to pull from
    3. Keeps everyone current and in date saving a massive hold up later

Not the cheapest option but planning for a rebound if one comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

This is smart as

3. Keeps everyone current and in date saving a massive hold up later

Not the cheapest option but planning for a rebound if one comes.

It also helps with getting a DAA pass, if they let people go then in 2 or 3 months employees would need to obtain a new one which includes Garda vetting.

This is smart as

3. Keeps everyone current and in date

I agree... Keeping people on the books and engaged; and the airline ticking over has to be somewhat of a relief to staff. EI has been a totally winner within IAG for years, so has the brownie-points and cost base to pull back out of this, moreso than it's IAG peers. The overcapacity in Europe should be knocked out of the park during this time so hopefully they can come back fighting. Everything is an unknown, but there's a long line of broke airlines to crumble before EI does, and... It's 'Ireland Inc.' important. Government will protect the connection-core if that ever comes into the sphere.

I would assume IAGs deal to purchase AirEuropa is not going to happen, and it will disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

3.5bn was the 2018 IAG Staff Expense when you strip out accommodation which they won't need anymore. It doesn't disaggregate by segment but using Revenue as a proxy EI would be ~10% of that, so 350m which would be 29m a month. Probably looking at about a 40m cost to keeping everyone in a job at 50% pay for 3 months.

That's just the staff cost obviously - there are a ton of other costs that still need to be paid like leases etc.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    It also helps with getting a DAA pass, if they let people go then in 2 or 3 months employees would need to obtain a new one which includes Garda vetting.

Exactly, there are passes, currency on type etc and the last thing you want to do is have to manage thousands of these, refresher training etc.

The day the EU declares this is over, I'm going to be rushing to book something to get off this rock, I won't be alone in that, so the upswing will be sharp but we will be lucky to get back to 75% of where we were

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Exactly, there are passes, currency on type etc and the last thing you want to do is have to manage thousands of these, refresher training etc.

The day the EU declares this is over, I'm going to be rushing to book something to get off this rock, I won't be alone in that, so the upswing will be sharp but we will be lucky to get back to 75% of where we were

I would imagine there would be some flexibility in regards to DAA passes and Garda vetting, it would be crazy if at the end of this someone wasn't able to return to work through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Currently in Orlando with wife and daughter waiting to get home. Flight home was 10.15pm local time Thursday 19th. In the last couple of days contacted Aer Lingus by message on website, on their Facebook messenger and customers services had a voice mail saying if any changes you would be informed by email. Received no response from Aer Lingus. Went to check in today to be told flight was cancelled. Eventually contacted Aer Lingus to be told direct flights from Orlando were stopped and given a list of other airports they fly direct from but from what I could make out we had to get to these airports ourselves. Then got cut off. My daughter contacted Aer Lingus on twitter and was told an email had been sent which we must have missed. Daughter asked for details of when email was sent and they replied they can't find it. We have had to pay out $2400 for a flight home which ironically is a connecting flight with jet blue and Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aviation2k19

Will CJX fly for EI anymore or has it finished now?

She was on the way out anyway, MSP route is suspended as you can't fly there due the airport not being on the approved list.

Next flight probably to the scrap man, 27 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

workforce emailed today to expect 50% work cutback and consequent 50% pay cut for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They have to be extremely happy with that. Many airlines offering no pay for 3 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Will CJX fly for EI anymore or has it finished now?

Ferrying to Shannon tomorrow, I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Ferrying to Shannon tomorrow, I hear.

Surprised to see the older 330 not going for freighter conversion, Not many 330F around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement