Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

The likes of FedEx get catering delivered to the aircraft for the flight crew normally 2/3 meals and unlimited drinks the meals cannot be the same just like pax operating flights.
    In the galley they have microwave/oven and water for making tea/coffee, On the MD11/MD10 if there is 3 crew flying normally the Capt will take his rest first with the RFO taking his seat and they just rotate.
    Cockpit door normally stays open and the lads change into t shirts and shorts.
    The MD11 still have 2/3 biz class seats in them and behind it would be the fire door and g net.
    My mate was telling me that each aircraft on landing is disinfected with some spray approved by Boeing,

A microwave...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

A microwave...?

Yep a Microwave/oven how else are the cree to get up the meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Rubbish. Why do I have to keep saying this? It is not an EASA rule. It is required in certain circumstances such as not having cctv with passengers on board and some airlines have it as part of their own rules.

Positioning flights with 2 pilots happen all the time. So is one of them not allowed to go to the toilet?

Never said anything about a easa rule, these also are not positioning flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The likes of FedEx get catering delivered to the aircraft for the flight crew normally 2/3 meals and unlimited drinks the meals cannot be the same just like pax operating flights.
    In the galley they have microwave/oven and water for making tea/coffee, On the MD11/MD10 if there is 3 crew flying normally the Capt will take his rest first with the RFO taking his seat and they just rotate.
    Cockpit door normally stays open and the lads change into t shirts and shorts.
    The MD11 still have 2/3 biz class seats in them and behind it would be the fire door and g net.
    My mate was telling me that each aircraft on landing is disinfected with some spray approved by Boeing,

Some of that might be true on a "plain vanilla" day but like everything in aviation it depends. No captain worth their salt is going to let a relief crew fly through a forecast area of mod/sev turbulence whilst they are resting the baby blues (aka AF447), nor will they let them deal with the nuances of flying around the war zones of the M/E that will more than likely come into play flying to China. Navigating through some of these hot spots involve having multiple radios on the go at the same time with both civilian and military controllers as well as vhf/hf. Then there are the "hills" to get across and the various escape routes that will need to be briefed in case of an emergency descent. Not the sort of thing a captain would leave the youngins to deal with by themselves. On the day it will depend on the crew, the experience levels, heavy versus augmented etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

ASL Airlines will hold their hands all along the way (if and if) EI will actually carry out a few China flights. ASL already have extensive experience operating the A330 in China, and their latest addition EI-HEE flies into Dublin from East Midlands late tonite.

• Advertisement

Yep I know what you mean regarding AF447 this flight was a regular flight US to Europe WX wise nothing like what the AF447 crew would.have encountered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Those of you worrying about ME war zones, have a look at the great circle from Dublin to Beijing. It goes out of Ireland over Finland, then Russia. Nowhere near most of the "hot spots". Just over 4500 Nm, so should not be a problem.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

UK government buying a big stake in BA... still no word from the Irish gov about aer lingus or ryanair... and if they do who would they pick? Crazy to think all the governments in Europe are in talks with their airlines for state aid and Leo And friends havent mentioned it once

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/simpleflying.com/uk-government-airline-stakes/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

basill wrote: »
    nor will they let them deal with the nuances of flying around the war zones of the M/E that will more than likely come into play flying to China. Navigating through some of these hot spots involve having multiple radios on the go at the same time with both civilian and military controllers as well as vhf/hf. Then there are the "hills" to get across and the various escape routes that will need to be briefed in case of an emergency descent.

Yep, have a look at the globe or filter Air China in flight radar and you’ll see that the track of all their European flights wouldn’t be remotely close to the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kcormahs wrote: »
    UK government buying a big stake in BA... still no word from the Irish gov about aer lingus or ryanair... and if they do who would they pick? Crazy to think all the governments in Europe are in talks with their airlines for state aid and Leo And friends havent mentioned it once

*buying a stake in IAG, of which EI are a part of thus they'd be 'bailed out' as it were by Boris & Co.

FR can last til ~the end of the year per MOL recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Kcormahs wrote: »

It's no more than a contingency plan under consideration:
    the government of the United Kingdom is considering buying a stake in British Airways and other UK based airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Graham wrote: »
    It's no more than a contingency plan under consideration:

And if Ryanair claims it can hold out for 12 months, IAG with 9 billion in the bank should be good for a significant period.

EI will be generating revenue on the China trips if only to pay the lease costs it’s money in the bag, 200-300k a trip? Sure BA and IB will get similar taskings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

cson wrote: »
    *buying a stake in IAG, of which EI are a part of thus they'd be 'bailed out' as it were by Boris & Co.

FR can last til ~the end of the year per MOL recently.

IAG aren't looking for Government money (they have €9bn + largest cash reserves in the EU), sounds like a typical Tory MP off on one.

The governments primary task at this stage is fighting the serious public health issue attacking the citizens of this country. Not worrying about well funded highly profitable private companies.

I’d also highly recommend posters first read the articles they are linking to before they go off on rants. It would help avoid the spread of fake news in this current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭EI321

The idea of the UK now bailing out EU airlines would be somewhat Ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Indeed, IAG is a Spanish company run by an Irishman , with three spanish(IB, Vueling, Air Europa) , one irish (EI), and one uk (BA) airlines in its portfolio

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

rameire wrote: »
    Yup. Up to 6 times a day I am told.
    I seriously doubt that.
    Most probably there will be 6 trips total.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭sailing

Tenger wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that.
    Most probably there will be 6 trips total.

60 flights required initially

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I was reading somewhere yesterday that the HSEs annual budget for personal protective equipment was previously €15m, and they've spent €60m year to date. They're looking to scale up an additional 10,000 beds in temporary hospitals. I imagine there's a lot of other line items shooting up. Lot of kit to move that likely normally comes in slow on container ships. And possibly not all arriving from the factories to the airport at the same convenient time. You could well imagine the government wanting a direct cargo run to those factory cities given the logistical constraints imposed by countries that are effectively dipping in for themselves. With EI doing the runs we know that short of the plane getting impounded somewhere on a tech stop, we can get it out reliably.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

sailing wrote: »
    60 flights required initially
    I stand corrected so.
    I read the IT article and it’s doesn’t specify numbers.
    Where did you see the figure of 60?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Thats a going to be a huge chunk of cash for Shamrock House to keep the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

First flight 28th March, up to 5 daily by 31st, DUB-PEK, 660tons initial, 50-60 flights, with up to 5 of these over the next 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

Thats a going to be a huge chunk of cash for Shamrock House to keep the lights on.

And paying the airline for a service they can offer, using staff and resources, and the airport, is a lot better than any cash handouts etc. being bounced about. Good news for them in the this bloody disaster.

I hope EI promo this as a little good news from bad to get this 'ability' out there and generate some more business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

From looking at FR24 the last few days it looks as if EI are only using 5-6 330s with all of the 200s grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭omega man

LeakRate wrote: »
    First flight 28th March, up to 5 daily by 31st, DUB-PEK, 660tons initial, 50-60 flights, with up to 5 of these over the next 2 months

This is correct information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

From looking at FR24 the last few days it looks as if EI are only using 5-6 330s with all of the 200s grounded.

EI-DUO just took off to SFO. Scheduled 1235 and took off at 1218 so I imagine not very pax heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

LeakRate wrote: »

Should that be up to 50 over next 2 months? If one is 28th and up 5 daily for 31st that’s 6 already?

Or am I an idiot and reading that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The block times are unclear at the moment, flight time is roughly 10.30 eastbound. When it gets up to 5 daily departures next week there will obviously be some returning aircraft still in the air so this will consume a large proportion of the A330 fleet. Initial talk is that the turnaround would be 6hrs reducing to just a couple of hours and then the aircraft is gone again. A lot will depend on the level of manpower to load the aircraft.

NEOs may be needed to head west again.

Whose paying for the 330 to head to China ? Haven't seen anything in the media about the flights, Good PR for EI anywsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Tax payer I'd assume. Since its to bring in medical supplies I'm all for it and I'd like to think so is every other tax payer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement