Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

zone 1 wrote: »
    when AL made the move to airbus was it better deal or was it because been european plane maker...
    -B747 were old and needed replacement, B767 was a downgrade and B777 wasnt available.
    -A330 was new technology and was well priced to garner customers.
    -A330 cargo capacity was close enough to the B747 to make not much difference.
    -Fuelcosts were cut by approx 40%.
    -Aircraft was a better size for "a small seasonal airline" *EI regularly chartered out 1 of their B747's in the Winter
    IT was a long time ago now, but I seem to recall that Aer Lingus got very good pricing from Airbus when they took the first 330's, as a new type, they were not ETOPS rated at the time, and the routes from Ireland to the US were ideal for them getting the hours needed...........
    I agree that its a long time ago but this history and the fact that people in EI and Airbus may remember this leads to the conclusion that EI are a strong contender for early operation of the A321LR. (of course these days 'launch' customers are very important for marketing reasons. However currently the 'launch' customer for the A321LR is Air Lease Corporation with 30 orders)

*I used to know a few experienced cabin crew who remember the introduction of the A330 very well.....apparently the flying was a little rough for a few months as the EI ex-B747 flight crew were a little hard on the poor little A330!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

=Tenger;*I knew a few cabin crew who remember the introduction of the A330 very well.....apparently the flying was a little rough for a few months as the EI ex-B747 flight crew were a little hard on the poor little A330!

I flew SNN-BOS in summer of 1995 on an EI A330 and the landing in BOS was the hardest I can recall. I think the A330 was pretty new that year. The return trip was excellent as I managed to get asked onto the flight deck and the crew were really friendly and left me up there for over an hour, giving me a very thorough run-down of the new 'plane.

We had to divert to DUB due to fog at SNN and I flew back down to SNN later that day on the EI B747. A memorable trip overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

IIRC it was to do with Airbus be European and financial support from the Gov/EU being one of the main reasons for the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

IT was a long time ago now, but I seem to recall that Aer Lingus got very good pricing from Airbus when they took the first 330's, as a new type, they were not ETOPS rated at the time, and the routes from Ireland to the US were ideal for them getting the hours needed, without impacting significantly on the operational requirement to remain within the diversion distances required.

I know one of the captains from dublin involved in that alright, also worked with boeing on the 767 for etops, hated the joystick on the airbus after flying the 747 and 737 before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

IT was a long time ago now, but I seem to recall that Aer Lingus got very good pricing from Airbus when they took the first 330's, as a new type, they were not ETOPS rated at the time, and the routes from Ireland to the US were ideal for them getting the hours needed, without impacting significantly on the operational requirement to remain within the diversion distances required.
    The non ETOPS issue lasted a few weeks into operations if even. Basically started off on the 103 min rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

EI-LBT reentered service today on SNN-BOS run after being refitted with the new business class cabin.

EI-LBS looks to be next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

EI-LBT reentered service today on SNN-BOS run after being refitted with the new business class cabin.

EI-LBS looks to be next up.

There is a picture on the aer lingus linkedin page if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭zone 1

IAG looking at leasing 777 300er and some A380 would they be any be heading AL way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

IAG looking at leasing 777 300er and some A380 would they be any be heading AL way...

Wouldn't think so but could get swaps from other group airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

B773 or A380 in EI is crazy talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

A380 definitively out of picture - Dublin airport and Aer Lingus unable to handle it and way over capacity.

773 - can't see a reason why not if the capacity is there to fill it, but I really do not think it will happen.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nibs05 wrote: »
    A380 definitively out of picture - Dublin airport and Aer Lingus unable to handle it.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why?

Emirates can't even get there A380 let alone any other carrier, air bridges need upgrading, ground staff trained, taxi ways upgrading, new ground equipment to handle a A380, yet nothing is being done so that's why I can't see it happening.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    A380 definitively out of picture - Dublin airport and Aer Lingus unable to handle it and way over capacity.

773 - can't see a reason why not if the capacity is there to fill it, but I really do not think it will happen.

Just my opinion.

In the timeline of entry of an A380 dublin airport and Aer Lingus would be able to handle it, that is beside the point that Aer Lingus will never operate one or have a need for such a niche aircraft.

The 777-300 is a slim possibility but only for when runway slots at Dublin are gone and the only possibility of growth is larger aircraft with more seats.

I personally can't see either flying for Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

If Aer Lingus needed the capacity of the B77W, then I imagine that they would instead upgrade some of their A350-900 options to include some A350-1000, which is of a similar capacity to the B77W, and also could be flown by their current pilots, worked on by current cabin crew and maintained by their current engineers, without the expense of having small sub-groups within the company to fly maybe only a small fleet of 3-4 aircraft.

The A350-1000 makes much more sense for Aer Lingus down the line if they are looking to add extra capacity to some of their long haul routes then adding the B777. For the time being though, the A350-900's arriving from 2018 should provide a modest capacity increase over the current A330-300 of about 20-35 seats depending on the layout Aer Lingus chooses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

the A350s are cancelled, courtesy of IAG and EI will get 4 x A330 (new)instead.....the DAA are modding the airbridges and stands for the A380 as we speak.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It would be a nice bit of 'advertising' if IAG took a big bird from the BA fleet (777, 747) and painted it in Aer Lingus livery, not even to put on an ex DUB route, but maybe to just increase brand visibility in some various non AL operated locations.

fanciful thinking I know, but how awesome would a 747-400 or a 772/3 look in AL green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

No jollie to Toulouse then Stove? 330 as a medium/long haul aircraft has been the perfect tool for EIN. I'm very disappointed to see the 350 scrapped /deferred but not surprised. Surely the 350s will go into the IAG fleet? Maybe IAG may replace the older 330s sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It would be a nice bit of 'advertising' if IAG took a big bird from the BA fleet (777, 747) and painted it in Aer Lingus livery, not even to put on an ex DUB route, but maybe to just increase brand visibility in some various non AL operated locations.

fanciful thinking I know, but how awesome would a 747-400 or a 772/3 look in AL green?
    The 747s are falling apart. I'v been on them a few times in the last few years and they'v been in rag order. Toilets not working, sections of cabin lights not working. We are going KLM via AMS this year because of them. Going via LHR would have been our preferred option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Stovepipe wrote: »
    the A350s are cancelled, courtesy of IAG and EI will get 4 x A330 (new)instead.....the DAA are modding the airbridges and stands for the A380 as we speak.

I'm really disappointed to hear this :(
    Any news on 757 replacements yet?

• Advertisement

The A350s are cancelled, courtesy of IAG and EI will get 4 x A330 (new)instead.....the DAA are modding the airbridges and stands for the A380 as we speak.

Were these confirmed as cancelled in the recent IAG annual results presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Dublin airport is at max capacity during Summer with very little stand availability, particularly on T2....Hence latest rumour doing the rounds is that continental overnights could be back on the cards for the short haul which gets rid of some aircraft and also enables early arrivals into Dublin to feed the Atlantic operation. AMS, CDG and ZRH were the last I heard thrown around. Time will tell.

I can see EI using Pier A again soon. Pier B is full every morning. The 3 new routes will block off stands on pier E after the first wave departures.
    Thats a bit pants.
    Source is IAG FY2015 results I assume? Have the PDF on my PC but had a few long days so unable to get tge chance to sit and have look at it properly.

EI will be needing more than 4x A330. The 9 A350 were planned three per year 2018-2020.

Tenger wrote: »
    I can see EI using Pier A again soon. Pier B is full every morning. The 3 new routes will block off stands on pier E after the first wave departures.

The "old" Aer Lingus Pilot Ops room on the ground level of T2 is currently being revamped into a busing lounge to allow for passengers on Aer Lingus flights to be bussed out to the new remote stands currently being constructed north of Pier 1 (Pier D), for when the height of the morning summer schedule comes.

Certainly if this growth continues, Pier F will need to be fast tracked, with aircraft and crew overnighting on the continent in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thats a bit pants.
    Source is IAG FY2015 results I assume? Have the PDF on my PC but had a few long days so unable to get tge chance to sit and have look at it properly.

EI will be needing more than 4x A330. The 9 A350 were planned three per year 2018-2020.

Increased busing which started in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

the DAA are modding the airbridges and stands for the A380 as we speak.
    Will there be modifications needed on any of the Taxiway's for use by the A380?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Thats a bit pants.

Not seeing it in the FY2015 myself, but iv also had a very long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Source is IAG FY2015 results I assume?
    Razor44 wrote: »
    Not seeing it in the FY2015 myself, but iv also had a very long weekend.
    Stovepipe, quoted no scorce in his post regarding the A350's.

He was indeed circumspect. But at the same time I wasn't questioning his source, Stovepiepe gives good gen, Just asking was it in the FY2015 presentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

On the short haul side of things, an a320 will be transferred from Vueling to EI in April, EC-KFI.

EI-CPE is no longer being retired as planned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement